Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
485 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.7%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 164711 times)

Dkeppel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
I'm curious about what woodshop is producing decks for a local New Zealand company, Def, in the USA and thought maybe somebody in this thread might know.

This particular deck measures 32.68" long, 8.25" Wide, has a 14.25" WB, 7.283" long nose and 6.89" long tail. Note the Dot in the centre of the front truck mounting holes, thought that might be a clue?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I'm curious about what woodshop is producing decks for a local New Zealand company, Def, in the USA and thought maybe somebody in this thread might know.

This particular deck measures 32.68" long, 8.25" Wide, has a 14.25" WB, 7.283" long nose and 6.89" long tail. Note the Dot in the centre of the front truck mounting holes, thought that might be a clue?

Looking at those pics and given more info looking at the site, I would be inclined to say either BBS or Clutch, or even some of the boards almost have the usual colour stains of some other brands that are unknown China wood, but as they say USA, which usually means boards pressed in Mexico and then graphics put on in USA, I would most likely be going with BBS / Generator wood, same as skatesamples.com and similar mid tier board brands that get their wood from USA.

That stands to reason with the price too, given the usual US to AUD and NZD conversion.

If the boards have some side to side "spoon like concave" in the kicks, then I would say BBS for sure, otherwise if they are flat faced kicks from where the kick starts to the tip, then you are back to a guessing game again.

A single dimple between the front bolts area usually means BBS, but those look more like a small nail dot, not bigger dimple, which is usually more common from some other woodshops.

* As some people have said before, it is not hard to replicate concave, markings on top of the board or even certain very specific looking stains, so unless I stood on it or had them confirm where it is from, there is still no firm guarantee where the board is from.

https://www.defstore.co.nz/collections/skate-skateboard-decks-boards-auckland-new-zealand?sort_by=price-ascending

https://www.instagram.com/defmfgco/

Dkeppel

Expand Quote

[close]

Looking at those pics and given more info looking at the site, I would be inclined to say either BBS or Clutch, or even some of the boards almost have the usual colour stains of some other brands that are unknown China wood, but as they say USA, which usually means boards pressed in Mexico and then graphics put on in USA, I would most likely be going with BBS / Generator wood, same as skatesamples.com and similar mid tier board brands that get their wood from USA.

That stands to reason with the price too, given the usual US to AUD and NZD conversion.

If the boards have some side to side "spoon like concave" in the kicks, then I would say BBS for sure, otherwise if they are flat faced kicks from where the kick starts to the tip, then you are back to a guessing game again.

A single dimple between the front bolts area usually means BBS, but those look more like a small nail dot, not bigger dimple, which is usually more common from some other woodshops.

* As some people have said before, it is not hard to replicate concave, markings on top of the board or even certain very specific looking stains, so unless I stood on it or had them confirm where it is from, there is still no firm guarantee where the board is from.

https://www.defstore.co.nz/collections/skate-skateboard-decks-boards-auckland-new-zealand?sort_by=price-ascending

Very interesting, I'm not sure I'd personally call something made in USA if it's only had paint slapped on it in the USA.

Reminds me of how Apple would say "Designed in California" in big text "Made in China" in small print on their products.

In these pictures I have placed a straight edge across the nose at approximately where the nose starts to taper, apologises for the poor photos it's a little difficult to photograph well.

To my eye the Def has a little more of a spoon to the nose but it's not much. I have enquired with Def if they're aware of who is producing their decks(They should know this) and what woodshop presses their decks(Less confident they will know this information)

Creature 8.6" - Pressed in China.

Def 8.25" - Pressed in Unknown region.

I'm enjoying the Def regardless of where it is pressed, of my 3 decks it feels the most like my decks did in 1999 to early 2000s era but that was a long time ago and it could be purely because it's closer to the same size decks I rode in the 1999 to early 2000s era.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Very interesting, I'm not sure I'd personally call something made in USA if it's only had paint slapped on it in the USA.

Reminds me of how Apple would say "Designed in California" in big text "Made in China" in small print on their products.

In these pictures I have placed a straight edge across the nose at approximately where the nose starts to taper, apologises for the poor photos it's a little difficult to photograph well.

To my eye the Def has a little more of a spoon to the nose but it's not much. I have enquired with Def if they're aware of who is producing their decks(They should know this) and what woodshop presses their decks(Less confident they will know this information)

I'm enjoying the Def regardless of where it is pressed, of my 3 decks it feels the most like my decks did in 1999 to early 2000s era but that was a long time ago and it could be purely because it's closer to the same size decks I rode in the 1999 to early 2000s era.

Even just a little spoon concave could be BBS.

More often than not, brands are proud of the fact that they use BBS / Generator for wood, but they are less likely to want to reveal where they got it made if it really comes from China or similar.

There are still brands and people out there claiming USA made for whatever it is they have, which are known NOT to be, but any which way, it is not a big deal to me.

I go more by how a board feels and how it skates than anything else.

Dkeppel

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Even just a little spoon concave could be BBS.

More often than not, brands are proud of the fact that they use BBS / Generator for wood, but they are less likely to want to reveal where they got it made if it really comes from China or similar.

There are still brands and people out there claiming USA made for whatever it is they have, which are known NOT to be, but any which way, it is not a big deal to me.

I go more by how a board feels and how it skates than anything else.

Very true and I am loving this deck. I'm quite happy supporting this company, they say these CCC decks have been produced to promote New Zealand skateboarding and I can get behind that. However I am curious still, will see if they get back to me.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634

With the news of Hjalte and Durao going to Hardbody I went to check out the site and it looks like their new stock is all PS Stix.  Used to be Popmaster.

Get hungry on it!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
PS seems to be carving out a nice niche for cool brands that you’ll never physically see a board….

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245

With the news of Hjalte and Durao going to Hardbody I went to check out the site and it looks like their new stock is all PS Stix.  Used to be Popmaster.
i asked the hardbodynyc ig on the post for durao and hjalte getting boards, someone else responded bbs.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
PS seems to be carving out a nice niche for cool brands that you’ll never physically see a board….

I see plenty of Quasi and GX boards out in the wild.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Adding this here:

Anybody know if the primitive shape guide is accurate? Especially the 8.5. Looks like a perfect shape with 14.5 wb but everywhere I look online they’re labeled as 14.25-14.3.

A buddy of mine only skates 8.5s from primitive (or the DW/Baker 8.5s) because they are consistently 14.5 WB (and he's always had them be spot on).

FWIW, he only skates the pro decks as he prefers the mellower concave compared to the team bloards (china?) which are deeper (talking concave not kicks).

I've ridden a few of their 8.25/8.3s and they're always accurate.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 308

Part of why I love PS Stix boards is supporting small brands that are sick.

Snack, Quasi, Western Edition, Glue...

All rad shit that I am way more hyped to ride than bigger brands that are everywhere.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Expand Quote
[close]

Part of why I love PS Stix boards is supporting small brands that are sick.

Snack, Quasi, Western Edition, Glue...

All rad shit that I am way more hyped to ride than bigger brands that are everywhere.

could not agree more

Thebird

• Rep: 158
Has Hopps fully moved over to Clutch now?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
any brand using this shape? ps stix 9.0 full
swim used the 8.75 full on the fitzgerald guest board
but i rarely see fulls used on anything above 8.5
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
any brand using this shape? ps stix 9.0 full
swim used the 8.75 full on the fitzgerald guest board
but i rarely see fulls used on anything above 8.5

I feel like a good sized 9" board is too hard to find, for what should be an easy market to get something around those dimensions.

As per previous conversations, having a board that is not 9 x 33 with 15 wb and more like the usual 8.5 to 8.75 dimensions in 9" width would be so good.

Something I guess some other brands are doing, more like 9 x 32.5 with 14.5 wb or so, be it as current stock shapes like Black Label, or others that are yet to come out in the next drop or so.

Thanks for posting that one too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Has Hopps fully moved over to Clutch now?

I haven't heard or seem anything about it, but I don't travel in those circles at all really.

Hopps still under Theories of Atlantis distribution, so I guess whatever wood they get and put their graphics on in that regard.

https://www.theoriesofatlantis.com/

Looking at some of their boards, they say "Made in Mexico" and "S Shape" which is Clutch, more so than BBS.

https://rayzlv.wixsite.com/clutchdistribution/copy-of-shapes-1

No other info on their site for any of the other boards, besides WKND board listings saying PS Stix, Studio saying "Made in Canada" so they at least list some like that where they want to, the majority of their boards just having "Made in Mexico" in the info.

Maybe message them to ask, otherwise being "Made in Mexico" they could be BBS, Clutch or PS Stix, but I would be thinking more Clutch than anything else.

G_Money

• Rep: 12
Expand Quote
Thanks, this confirms that my last toy machine was SC. It had the same routed edge.

I’m hype I just ordered a few custom boards and they’re using SC. I fucking loved the shape
[close]

Yeah rad!!!

Copying your post from the egg thread to here as well.

Expand Quote
Boardpusher.com is doing eggs, currently for a limited time

Expand Quote
Egg Shape

A symetrical 9.75 inch egg shape, the shape that everyone has been waiting for. Time to jump on an egg and see what you can crack, this shape is ridiculously fun. This limited shape has black stained top and middle plys.
[close]

they usually source wood from control
https://www.boardpusher.com/custom/

[close]

Has anyone skated the decks from boardpusher.com? How are they? I kind of want to make a one-off egg graphic to rip around on.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
So, boardpusher is fine. I had a standard 8.25 deck from them back in November. It will always have a special place in my heart because I did a kickflip crook shuv on it. I'm pretty sure it's control wood.

Some images
https://imgur.com/a/V2yPZtO

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
In case anyone is interest in steepness/concave examples. I’m mainly concerned with the hips, and have had trouble with some BBS boards that have very pronounced hips and very little flat before the kicks — DLX III/IV being the exception.

All 8.5”

From bottom, up:

Girl G033
Politic E mold Flat as Fuck (South Central)
Quasi (PS)
TOPX (BBS)

Haven’t skated the Politic yet, but I may have found my sweet spot with the G033 — at least when it comes to popsicles.

rikki

• Rep: 284
Anyone else feel like Control wood gets soggy extra fast?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Anyone else feel like Control wood gets soggy extra fast?

21:10

I tried a bunch of their blanks and I echo Ben's experience. Brand new they never felt as stiff or snappy as I liked even with the steep or medium concave boards. Something about the flatness on the nose / tail contributed to the softness and I could never get the timing right on my tricks. Sound of the tail tapping the ground is very unscientific but they did not sound as crisp as they should, contributing to an overall mediocre experience. Rode 2 decks and retired them well before my standard 6 weeks.

Rave uses Control and my friend loves their boards, they hold up well for him despite being heavier and taller than me.

I like that they have a catalog of shapes (twin nose, twin tail, twin tip with 1 steeper tip) and concaves. But like Ben said they feel like shop board territory.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
Re : the kicks making it feel dead….i agree….sometimes I think the bevel and how a board razors, along with the kicks, impacts how your tail hits hence the board feeling less lively…..the flatter the contact point is, the less pop….

I still think if you like flat boards, it’s a pretty consistent wood shop is a solid option…

Is Tightbooth dwindle?  PS? 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Re : the kicks making it feel dead….i agree….sometimes I think the bevel and how a board razors, along with the kicks, impacts how your tail hits hence the board feeling less lively…..the flatter the contact point is, the less pop….

I still think if you like flat boards, it’s a pretty consistent wood shop is a solid option…

Yes Tightbooth is DSM from last info, unless something has changed.

That was from a while ago, but I don't think they would change it up / info from them last time.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes Tightbooth is DSM from last info, unless something has changed.

That was from a while ago, but I don't think they would change it up / info from them last time.

Friend picked one up in Japan in December 2023, still came with the DSM green sticker along the side.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy

A little something to read over in this thread:

Another board company - 2 cents skateboards

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=129405.0

But the main thing from this was that the other twocentsskateboards account / brand has some lovely top board posts which I am always stoked on and thought I would add a few here for viewing pleasure.

He says the split veneers in a newer post are South Central and a couple of really old posts have #southcentral tags so looks like that is the woodshop used.  Colour stains similar to Clutch, but anyone can use the same stains / veneer colours too.

Bear in mind all this is from years ago now, but it is still cool to see someone from any company post top pics of boards with good stains.

Last one:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 01:35:58 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

As per the Questions thread post, copied here as well.

Does anyone know if Almost / Creature changed their molds?
Recently I have got myself a Almost deck marked as mellow concave steep kicks. Set it up, rode it, felt flat.
Measured it , 19.5°...

Out of interest I have put a spare creature 8.6 Vx on my current  8.6 Vx. Completely different concave and flatter for sure

https://ibb.co/Hh8z4s9

https://ibb.co/2jycz37

I think Creature went through a bit of a change of woodshop, China DSM to China Excel so although still out of China, the two different places would have different molds, hence the two different boards from different periods of time.

Of course they could have changed them up in the same woodshop as well, if they were not happy with the shape and feel of them and tweaked them to be different.

China are all single press, so it is not like some would be flatter and some steeper, but definitely different presses for those.

As for Almost, well, anything you see now is old stock, as Almost is done, Dwindle in general is done, who knows what may or may not come out but as for their boards, there were a number of different options, Almost having more mellow concaves in general compared to the cheaper boards from Blind or Darkstar, from what I saw.

Hope that helps.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
Anyone know how good/bad the birch boards are from NHS? I'm over spending $70-$80 per deck and other price point options don't come in dimensions that I like

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
Anyone know how good/bad the birch boards are from NHS? I'm over spending $70-$80 per deck and other price point options don't come in dimensions that I like

Should be similar to the Dwindle PP boards, good for a few sessions but they'd sog out prematurely.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
Expand Quote
[close]

Should be similar to the Dwindle PP boards, good for a few sessions but they'd sog out prematurely.

The last dwindle PP I had was shit. dead after one session. delamed in about 2 weeks. The price of decks has gone up there is also a glut of discount and blank decks for below $50. DGK, Primitive, Crailtap, Theories, and tons of other brands and shops, offer some form of mystery board bundle.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

I think the market for all those generic Santa Cruz boards, more so than Creature, but maybe those too, was more for the beginner to intermediate skaters, but if you don't break boards that often, they should be ok.

Overall they will still skate fine, but for adults skating hard, they might not hold up as well, or as long as other more normal boards might, as Rocklobster and Twist have said above.

Some of the shapes were a bit weird when I saw them in person here in an Aussie shop, but they were steepish and stiff to stand on there.