Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
484 (70.6%)
Yeah I guess a bit
163 (23.8%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
12 (1.7%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 680

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 163658 times)

Damoforce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know the details and shapes on Sour Solution decks? I notice they have a few like S1 S2 S5 and a couple of others too
[close]
You can see the dimensions of decks from the last drop in the official page https://soursolution.club/collections/sp22
somewhere i read S1 is medium and S4 is mellow concave, but you can also see the photos of the decks.
[close]

Here’s the HLC catalog with details on all the shapes they have.

https://hlcskateboardfactory.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/hlc-oem-skateboard-catalog.pdf

Which is which in Sour is another question then but maybe it can be worked out from there somehow.

It’s still very baffling to me how they all have 14.2” wb except one old school shape with a 14.6” wb and then the mini decks.

Thanks everyone, this catalogue is quite helpful!
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Icey

• Rep: 4
Anyone skate a control deck lately? I really like one of the graphics in the latest Studio drop but the bad review of control wood earlier in this thread has be wary.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Last deck was a Scum Co from Control, steep kicks medium across the middle. No complaints about the wood, stay stiff throughout it's lifespan (4 weeks, probably 15 sessions, 3 hours each) before I retired it early. Felt thicker and less springy than a BBS if that's your thing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Anyone skate a control deck lately? I really like one of the graphics in the latest Studio drop but the bad review of control wood earlier in this thread has be wary.

The couple I have had (second hand) have held up fine and no issues with them, but I don't skate them as my daily rider, so might not have quite as much to say about them as others.

I would be more inclined to skate them before half the other main woodshops, but that is based more on the concave and how the board felt to me, so I would say, "Yes go for it", more so than "No don't do it", if that makes sense.

Vernon Wells

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 34
  • Paydayyyyyyy
Curious if anyone is familiar with a company or mfg that produces boards with the following attributes; mellow concave, big and non-steep nose/tail, and a straight side rail (minimal hips before nose/tail). Pretty much like old crailtap shapes, seems like all their newer decks have quite steeper kicks now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Ha yeah that is pretty cool, but more so stoked that they explain how it is updated and a good place to get info - that comes from everyone who has helped with info, not just any one person who created things before me or what I have put up since.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy

And no secret, yes I started the "Woodshop" account so others have the ability to edit and fix the woodshop thread in the event of the one person who created the account is no longer able to do it (which is what was happening to previous woodshop threads), just so my only other and main account is left for myself to say what I want on a broader scale, really only about skateboard product anyway, but I as said I am more stoked to have a resource with relevant information to help people than any name recognition or other achievement accolades.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Curious if anyone is familiar with a company or mfg that produces boards with the following attributes; mellow concave, big and non-steep nose/tail, and a straight side rail (minimal hips before nose/tail). Pretty much like old crailtap shapes, seems like all their newer decks have quite steeper kicks now.

That sounds like PGI boards, which are very straight, long kicks but overall very mellow, as per an 8.5 and other boards I have.

The only problem is I don't know many brands that use them currently, or depending on where you are in the world, there may be easier access to them, but here in Australia, one distributor of printed blanks use their wood, so a number of smaller brands come out with their graphics on that wood.

What size board are you usually riding as well, because to look at an 8 can often be different to looking at an 8.5 in terms of shapes, but all the boards of varying sizes I saw of this woodshop were very mellow, very boat like, round kicks, etc.

Failing that, I most commonly ride 8.5 boards from BBS and that shape that is used for many of their brands is long and straight, no taper, right through the sides, long round nose and tail and if the board is too steep, I park the car on it for a bit and it mellows it out perfectly, so that is another option and there are many more of those boards in the world.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
Expand Quote
[close]

That sounds like PGI boards, which are very straight, long kicks but overall very mellow, as per an 8.5 and other boards I have.

The only problem is I don't know many brands that use them currently, or depending on where you are in the world, there may be easier access to them, but here in Australia, one distributor of printed blanks use their wood, so a number of smaller brands come out with their graphics on that wood.

What size board are you usually riding as well, because to look at an 8 can often be different to looking at an 8.5 in terms of shapes, but all the boards of varying sizes I saw of this woodshop were very mellow, very boat like, round kicks, etc.

Failing that, I most commonly ride 8.5 boards from BBS and that shape that is used for many of their brands is long and straight, no taper, right through the sides, long round nose and tail and if the board is too steep, I park the car on it for a bit and it mellows it out perfectly, so that is another option and there are many more of those boards in the world.

PGI for sure .  I had a Skull Skates pop that was mellow, broad but rounded nose/ tail and no real taper .

bryan

• Rep: 26

As the last two people said PGI, this is the last woodshop crailtap used prior to the current one before the kicks got steeper.

Vernon Wells

• Paydayyyyyyy
Expand Quote
[close]

Usually skate between 8.25-8.5 with 14-14.25 WB range. I’ll take a look at PGI, saw a blood wizard deck a long time ago that looked tempting. Had a Pennswood and Prime blank last year that fit the bill but both warped and I gave them away. You recall the rest of the dimensions for the 8.5 BBS? Appreciate the info, and thanks to everyone else who mentioned PGI.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:01:43 PM by Vernon Wells »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Usually skate between 8.25-8.5 with 14-14.25 WB range. I’ll take a look at PGI, saw a blood wizard deck a long time ago that looked tempting. Had a Pennswood and Prime blank last year that fit the bill but both warped and I gave them away. You recall the rest of the dimensions for the 8.5 BBS? Appreciate the info, and thanks to everyone else who mentioned PGI.

Most of the BBS 8.5 tend to be on the longer side, 32.5 (although Baker and others are listed as only 32, they also measure longer) all with 14.5 wheelbase, so that might be a bit long for what you want.

The PGI boards are more what you want with shorter wheelbases too, this one is 8.5 x 32 with 14.25 wb and that seems about normal from the boards I have seen from others too.

The most frustrating thing is there seems to not be a whole lot of PGI board representation around, or if it is, no one has provided info about it to then list it.

Almost seems more like they are being supplied more to singular distibution companies as blanks to be used for whatever boards they sell on to small brands or shops, more so than any global brands, but I am sure there would still be some around like that.

I don't even have any other info on the woodshop itself, unless it is under another name or something - tried looking for info about it and came up with nothing, but I know from seeing the boards and standing on them, they are very mellow, very long rounded kicks, etc.

Sorry that is probably just repeating myself, but someone else might have some more info on PGI which I can add to the first page, or even any other local board brands on that wood.

@Buttfart Rapedick might be able to help a bit more with info on PGI...

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
Maybe a bit eurocentric but is there any information where Titus skateboards are produced?
https://www.titus-shop.com/en/skate/?p=1&o=18&n=18&s=2

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577

Control is another option no?  Mellow, straight kicks but not really steep……

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Maybe a bit eurocentric but is there any information where Titus skateboards are produced?

Nothing I could see that says where they come from, which usually (but not always) would mean an unknown woodshop from China or given their location, possibly even somewhere in EU.  If you contact them and ask, they might give you more info, but if they cannot or will not tell you, that is usually a red flag for me.

The info from one of the shop board pages has a lot with details of the sizes and dimensions, good pics to show concave, etc.  Natural wood usually means pricepoint for some woodshops, but often it is the normal go to for others.

https://www.titus-shop.com/en/titus-deck-schranz-black-0105598/

Available sizes:

- 7.5'' x 31.25''
- 7.625'' x 31.375''
- 7.75'' x 31.5''
- 7.875'' x 31.625''
- 8'' x 31.75''
- 8.125'' x 32''
- 8.25'' x 31.875''
- 8.5'' x 31.75''

Features
width: 7.5" / legth: 31.250" / wheelbase: 14.02" / nose: 6.83" / tail: 6.24"
width: 7.75" / length: 31.5" / Wheelbase: 14.02" / Nose: 6.65" / Tail: 6.65"
width: 7.875" / length: 31.625" / Wheelbase: 14.25" / Nose: 6.71" / Tail: 6.48"
width: 7.625" / length: 31.25" / Wheelbase: 14.02" / Nose: 6.73" / Tail: 6.33"
width: 8" / length: 31.875" / Wheelbase: 14.25" / Nose: 6.85" / Tail: 6.61"
width: 8.25" / length: 31.875" / Wheelbase: 14.25" / Nose: 6.89" / Tail: 6.58"
width: 8.375" / length: 31.75" / Wheelbase: 14.25" / Nose: 6.93" / Tail: 6.38"
width: 8.5" / length: 31.75" / Wheelbase: 14.49" / Nose: 6.93" / Tail: 6.38"
width: 8.75" / length: 32.5" / Wheelbase: 14.75" / Nose: 7.025" / Tail: 6.525"
width: 9" / length: 32.875" / Wheelbase: 14.75" / Nose: 7.025" / Tail: 6.9"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd add GX1000 / Quasi (PS Stix) to the mix - medium kicks and concave with fat nose. April if you want something really flat and can deal with longer deck length and short WB. I remember old Crailtap decks from the 2000s having a tapered tips, very similar to the SC Tom Asta model.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MarshGarvey

• Rep: 2

I bought one for a buddy a few years back when I was living in Germany. I'm pretty sure he still has it ungripped and it's definitely still in his apartment unskated. I'll see if I can get some pics of the top soon and post them. Quite possible the production has changed but it's a start.

I can also reach out to some friends out in Europe and see if they know. If you're out there I'd suggest just going into Titus and asking though.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing I could see that says where they come from, which usually (but not always) would mean an unknown woodshop from China or given their location, possibly even somewhere in EU.  If you contact them and ask, they might give you more info, but if they cannot or will not tell you, that is usually a red flag for me.

Yeah, i know Titus ist one of the biggest and oldest skateshops in Germany, maybe even Europe, but it was always a mystery where their boards were made. So i always assumed they are produced in China.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you want mellow concave and mild kick angles then stay away from BBS. Every mold I've ever seen from them has a significant spoon shape to it.

If you want the straight rails and mild kicks ala the good Ole 90s boards all us old dudes grew up on then PGI is one option but Personally the best answer I can give to your description is the south central "e" mold aka DOA flat as fuck. Hit up DOA on Instagram and see if they have any flats sitting around or if they have a date for the next drop (should be soon)... It's excellent wood and you get to support one of the coolest small brands out there as well.

PS has a few flat molds as well, the one that best matches what you're looking for is the Toy Machine mellow mold but they cut it into different shapes so sometimes it's not super tapered. If you can find the 8.25 x 31.5 mellow shape it's usually pretty flat. Usually classic monster and hell monster 8.25 get run on it but they sometimes run those graphics through other woodshops too so you have to be careful. I've had foundation boards are on it too but they tend to be on one of the medium shapes.

PGI is a nice flat mold but they tend to be pretty full kicks without a lot of taper. They also have a 14" wb which is a bonus for some and deal breaker for others. The wood is stiff and snappy but does sog out and it's epoxy glued so it's heavy. I really like the blood wizard 8.25 x 31.6 shape.

DSM has some flatties too... The palace 8.25 shapes are pretty popular with the "sore old guy" crowd these days.

Vernon Wells

• Paydayyyyyyy
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'd add GX1000 / Quasi (PS Stix) to the mix - medium kicks and concave with fat nose. April if you want something really flat and can deal with longer deck length and short WB. I remember old Crailtap decks from the 2000s having a tapered tips, very similar to the SC Tom Asta model.

I'll take a look at Control and April decks. Have skated a few 8.25 PS stix decks, some tails just seemed tiny. More into a full big nose/tail, granted their larger boards probably have bigger proportions. Appreciate the suggestions.

Vernon Wells

• Paydayyyyyyy
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you want mellow concave and mild kick angles then stay away from BBS. Every mold I've ever seen from them has a significant spoon shape to it.

If you want the straight rails and mild kicks ala the good Ole 90s boards all us old dudes grew up on then PGI is one option but Personally the best answer I can give to your description is the south central "e" mold aka DOA flat as fuck. Hit up DOA on Instagram and see if they have any flats sitting around or if they have a date for the next drop (should be soon)... It's excellent wood and you get to support one of the coolest small brands out there as well.

PS has a few flat molds as well, the one that best matches what you're looking for is the Toy Machine mellow mold but they cut it into different shapes so sometimes it's not super tapered. If you can find the 8.25 x 31.5 mellow shape it's usually pretty flat. Usually classic monster and hell monster 8.25 get run on it but they sometimes run those graphics through other woodshops too so you have to be careful. I've had foundation boards are on it too but they tend to be on one of the medium shapes.

PGI is a nice flat mold but they tend to be pretty full kicks without a lot of taper. They also have a 14" wb which is a bonus for some and deal breaker for others. The wood is stiff and snappy but does sog out and it's epoxy glued so it's heavy. I really like the blood wizard 8.25 x 31.6 shape.

DSM has some flatties too... The palace 8.25 shapes are pretty popular with the "sore old guy" crowd these days.

PGI seems to be the general consensus, I'll give it a go. I have skated a DOA faf deck, liked it and may revisit. They usually sell out quickly and I've been fluctuating/sampling different wheelbases/brands. I'll check out those Tum yeto and Palace shapes too. Appreciate all the info.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
Kinda out there but I just skated ace lo’s….so low and tight wheelbase…..it mellowed out the kicks….

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

PGI seems to be the general consensus, I'll give it a go. I have skated a DOA faf deck, liked it and may revisit. They usually sell out quickly and I've been fluctuating/sampling different wheelbases/brands. I'll check out those Tum yeto and Palace shapes too. Appreciate all the info.

https://imgur.com/a/47E9Qtq

This is the blood wizard/PGI 8.25 x 31.6 shape (Krahn Ouija graphic). It's flat concave wise but the kicks are more of a mild medium. Other pic is a DOA 8.25 flat to give you a frame of reference since you said you'd skated one. Let me know if you want any more pics or I can do this with some of the PS stix mellows if you want. I don't have a palace atm but I have a couple evisen which are the same mold.

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
Does anyone have experience with the Baker/Deathwish 8.475 (14.25 wheelbase) shape? Is it the same as the dlx 8.5?

LebowskisRug

Very similar, but slightly more tapered. Haven't ridden but stood on in a shop and it also seems as if both kicks are a hair longer. It looks like if they took the 8.25 and widened from the bolts back

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Just grabbed a Hopps deck with a graphic that I think they started making in January of this year. I hope it's BBS and not Clutch.

Their website says Made In Mexico. Does that guarantee that it's BBS or does Clutch manufacture in Mexico too?

https://hoppsskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/hopps-x-daptone-records-collage-deck
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
Just grabbed a Hopps deck with a graphic that I think they started making in January of this year. I hope it's BBS and not Clutch.

Their website says Made In Mexico. Does that guarantee that it's BBS or does Clutch manufacture in Mexico too?

https://hoppsskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/hopps-x-daptone-records-collage-deck

I believe Clutch is pressed in Tijuana, Mexico also. Fingers crossed for you! I was eyeing those Hopps decks too and had the same question. Please report back.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
Yah, with the top photo, no sticker which doesn’t mean for sure, but I’d be more inclined to say clutch as well….

You can always just ask Hopps or the shop?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
The sticker is on the plastic wrap though right? It looks like these photos are taken out of the wrap.

For what it's worth this thread says they're back to BBS.

I'll report back for sure. Either way it would be a cool wall hanger.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.