Poll

Does the woodshop a brand use for their decks impact your decision on buying a board?

Yes absolutely
490 (70.4%)
Yeah I guess a bit
166 (23.9%)
Indifferent either way
16 (2.3%)
Not really
13 (1.9%)
No never
11 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 688

Author Topic: CURRENT WOODSHOP DIRECTORY 2024 + misc deck and board info, help, questions, etc  (Read 172906 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote
the only reason i am not a big fan of those flat control boards is cause i like to skate my boards til they are really beat up and i find the kicks flatten out like crazy over time so i prefer them to start as steep as possible. the construction on them is very good imo i used to skate them a lot when i was stair jumping and got a lot of life out of them tossing them this way and that into the floor. i skate a lot different now so the change in board makes sense.
[close]

i couldn’t break one, but the pop
didn’t last forever either. i just liked them cuz flat.

who is using control? i like flat, short lived boards

A lot of Canadian Shop decks use Control so that is why I have a lot of experience with them.
Studio is my favorite brand that puts graphics on em though! Also really like their videos + team.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the only reason i am not a big fan of those flat control boards is cause i like to skate my boards til they are really beat up and i find the kicks flatten out like crazy over time so i prefer them to start as steep as possible. the construction on them is very good imo i used to skate them a lot when i was stair jumping and got a lot of life out of them tossing them this way and that into the floor. i skate a lot different now so the change in board makes sense.
[close]

i couldn’t break one, but the pop
didn’t last forever either. i just liked them cuz flat.

who is using control? i like flat, short lived boards
[close]

A lot of Canadian Shop decks use Control so that is why I have a lot of experience with them.
Studio is my favorite brand that puts graphics on em though! Also really like their videos + team.

i’m not the first to think/say this, but studio had some canadian western edition feel. i really like western edition.
thanks for reminding me to check for studio

Thebird

• Rep: 158
Sorry if this is somwhere in this thread, but what are clutch decks like?  Mellow or steep kicks?  What is the concave like?  Are their shapes pretty standard across brands?

Thanks

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
I skated one and had pretty good experience with it. It was fairly standard measurement - 8.5" x 14.5 wb. ~6.75"t / 7" n i believe or somewhere around there (i seem to remember the tail slightly shorter like 6.675" maybe)
it had a very pointy tail and a pretty standard, non square nose.
They make a wide variety of shapes so they seem to be a fairly capable wood shop from what I gather.
The one thing I will say is the nose chipped like super super easily, and i basically never chip boards. but  I have a suspicion that was more to do with how it was stored rather than the manufacturer itself... the tail never chipped at all.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
Sorry if this is somwhere in this thread, but what are clutch decks like?  Mellow or steep kicks?  What is the concave like?  Are their shapes pretty standard across brands?

Thanks

I found the Clutch K6 8.125 similar to the mellow end Deluxe BBS (forget if thats the I or VI). Not Baker mellow but certainly wouldnt call them steep in any regard

Fuller nose and tail than BBS i thought but a pretty true popsicle, not getting into shovel territory

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

I found the Clutch K6 8.125 similar to the mellow end Deluxe BBS (forget if thats the I or VI). Not Baker mellow but certainly wouldnt call them steep in any regard

Fuller nose and tail than BBS i thought but a pretty true popsicle, not getting into shovel territory

Rode a Clutch K9 a year ago and liked it, stiffness is between a BBS and DSM, pretty tapered but similar to the standard DLX shapes.

The O shape is your fuller nose option, between Quasi and FA.

Most deck brands go with the K or S, followed by the O. Haven't seen any B or V shapes in the wild.

Deck brands on Theories used Clutch (Hopps, Magenta, Traffic) for their 2020/2021 graphics which are likely on clearance, you should be able to pick some up on cheap if you do some digging.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
yeah mine must have been the S. Maybe stands for "Shop" deck which is what mine was! Probably not though  ;D

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

Rode a Clutch K9 a year ago and liked it, stiffness is between a BBS and DSM, pretty tapered but similar to the standard DLX shapes.

Most deck brands go with the K or S, followed by the O. Haven't seen any B or V shapes in the wild.

Deck brands on Theories used Clutch (Hopps, Magenta, Traffic) for their 2020/2021 graphics which are likely on clearance, you should be able to pick some up on cheap if you do some digging.

Ive had multiple Hopps and Traffic Clutch boards within the past year. They were BBS last year though so if youre dead set, best to check for the Clutch shape stamp under the front truck.

If you snipe some clearance Theories dist brands be sure to let us know!

Thebird

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I'm going to look around and see if I can find one with the right specs to try.

Thebird

So is Toy Machine all Clutch now? 

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

The most recent stuff seems to be more PS Stix, but it depends where you are and which drop of boards, but that was more during the pandemic, when everyone couldn't get normal wood and things were all over the place.

Some here and there is other wood, cheap China boards for some and then Clutch, BBS or PS Stix for others, from what people have posted.

I think that is definitely one to check with the shop and see.

Clutch usually have the letter and number stamp between front bolts, or a size sticker over that area.

PS Stix will always have their laser engraved serial number and other info.

BBS is usually just one larger dimple between front bolts.

China made boards often had the Toy Machine laser engraving logo and size only.

Hope that helps, but it is not a whole lot to go on if you are not seeing the board in person, or the shop doesn't respond to requests for info.  Never hurts to ask them to check the tops of the board for you anyway.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Actually the ones marked "New" from SW look like BBS, so who knows what is going on there.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Plaid_Deck/descpage-TM30ETPLDK.html

This is an older graphic on PS Stix

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Toy_Machine_Templeton_Mask_Deck/descpage-TMTMASK85DK.html

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832

They barely use clutch now actually. Mostly BBS and PS in America with some China wood floating around, almost all seems to be Chinese if you're outside of the states. Interestingly Japan seems to mostly get PS boards imported from the states rather than the China wood. Foundation was mixing more Chinese wood in for a while but they seem to be back to more PS wood lately as well.

The OG monsters that just dropped everywhere are Watson wood as well. I believe this run is lasered, the last drop of those weren't. If you ever see that graphic or the foundation ovals they only seem to run them through watson. Outside of those you'll want to see the top ply or stickers for ID.

Thebird

Wow, sounds like they are all over the place. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
Expand Quote
[close]

They barely use clutch now actually. Mostly BBS and PS in America with some China wood floating around, almost all seems to be Chinese if you're outside of the states. Interestingly Japan seems to mostly get PS boards imported from the states rather than the China wood. Foundation was mixing more Chinese wood in for a while but they seem to be back to more PS wood lately as well.

The OG monsters that just dropped everywhere are Watson wood as well. I believe this run is lasered, the last drop of those weren't. If you ever see that graphic or the foundation ovals they only seem to run them through watson. Outside of those you'll want to see the top ply or stickers for ID.

how are watson boards? i don’t think i’ve ever ridden a watson popsicle.
had a really nice scram x assault, that was i think watson

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Someone closer to the woodshop or who has actually seen them could probably give you more info.

Watson wood was pretty good back in the day, but the only boards I have from Watson within the last few years have been the old school 80s and pig shapes and they are big, solid and long lasting, for what they are worth.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 03:53:10 PM by Woodshop »

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Watson closing...

From a couple of pages back:

Watson Laminates closing?

Wow!

From 1975 to 2023...

Posting the full image here, as per the initial post from last month.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 03:52:41 PM by Woodshop »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
Speaking of Loophole...
Since they are very probably using hlc, thank you for posting the catalog a few pages ago,

https://mfg.hlcdist.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogos/hlc-oem-catalogue-skateboard.pdf

Not sure if this was already posted - didn't see it anywhere when I checked.

Catalog shown from the wheels thread, but it has a lot of deck info too.

Sorry for not looking deep enough to see who originally posted it as well, but thanks for anyone who brought this up in other threads as it has some good info in it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ish_wav

• Rep: 102
I took advantage of the super sale element had and got a couple decks. One was on BBS and the other was made in China. I typically won’t skate a China deck (even worse with a brown top ply which this one had) but I’m so happy I did. It’s been my favorite board I’ve ridden in about two years. Medium to mellow concave 8.25 with a 14 wheelbase. I ordered two more of the same graphic hoping they’re as good as this one.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • Just another skate shop guy
I took advantage of the super sale element had and got a couple decks. One was on BBS and the other was made in China. I typically won’t skate a China deck (even worse with a brown top ply which this one had) but I’m so happy I did. It’s been my favorite board I’ve ridden in about two years. Medium to mellow concave 8.25 with a 14 wheelbase. I ordered two more of the same graphic hoping they’re as good as this one.

It is down to the concave for me - been so long on BBS concave I just can't skate anything else.

Others I know who get and skate those Element China boards have no issues with them either, so as long as the concave is agreeable, they are a good board at a good price.

Make the most of it while they are as cheap as they are, really.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Watson made their own for a long time, but more recently they have been making less and buying in blanks from China, so all these could be the China boards, or could be their own boards.

Someone closer to the woodshop or who has actually seen them could probably give you more info.

Watson wood was pretty good back in the day, but the only boards I have from Watson within the last few years have been the old school 80s and pig shapes and they are big, solid and long lasting, for what they are worth.

You're thinking of prime. Watson always pressed their own wood. They mostly survived the modern era by doing more bespoke stuff they could charge a premium for. Blockhead, Sam Hitz, and a few other brands/folks worked very closely with them, to the point they'd often do their own staining and shaping.

If you're not aware O who was sort of the heart and soul of the place passed away fairly recently. This is just personal speculation, but I think that probably had more than a little to do with the decision to shut it down now.

https://otisforever.com/

https://www.exposureskate.org/the-otis-barthoulameu-fund/

Quote from: Ok link=topic=120409.msg4102362#msg4102362

Probably, assault ran most of their stuff through Watson and scram did some of their big shapes through them.

It looks like Tod took all the popsicles they had sitting around and ran them as OG monsters, so there's a ton of them on the market right now if you want to try one. You can probably still find the foundation ovals from the pandemic if you look hard enough too. Actually I just did it out of curiosity and yes you can.

https://tgmskateboards.com/foundation-deck-oval-orange-8-25-x-31-88/

The 8.25 oval I had was great. Wb is 14.38 iirc. Quite flat concave wise, but the kicks are medium. It's very snappy and light feeling like PS wood, but doesn't flex. Im not sure if it was the shape or the wood but I remember flip tricks sticking to my feet really well.

I also have an 8.38 OG monster that's the same mold but 14.12 wb. I didn't get along with it as much as the foundation but I think that was down to not being able to find a truck that matched up well with the wb for me. Oh, those last run OG monsters were full up to the kicks, but not square at all. Not sure if the new ones are the same. It's a very utilitarian, no frills shape but that's kind of why it's great. Neither of mine sogged out though I admittedly didn't skate the Toy a ton.

Edit - forgot there's one more Watson that's still semi in the quiver. I have one of the blockhead hard times 8.38 modern shapes they did a while back. Ive only really skated it as a cruiser but now that I've been enjoying shaped decks more lately I might whip it out and slap some aces on it.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Watson made their own for a long time, but more recently they have been making less and buying in blanks from China, so all these could be the China boards, or could be their own boards.

[close]

You're thinking of prime. Watson always pressed their own wood. They mostly survived the modern era by doing more bespoke stuff they could charge a premium for. Blockhead, Sam Hitz, and a few other brands/folks worked very closely with them, to the point they'd often do their own staining and shaping.

If you're not aware O who was sort of the heart and soul of the place passed away fairly recently. This is just personal speculation, but I think that probably had more than a little to do with the decision to shut it down now.

Thanks for the correction.

Sometimes I do get confused with things and often if I am a little too busy I forget to check over previous info as well, which is what happened here.

I will remove that info from my previous posts too.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

Minor correction, but the primary clutch popsicles you'll find are the K and C for tapered shapes, O and X for the full ones. S is actually not super common these days, though I think syndrome still uses it. P was fairly common too

Some companies like coda will put which Chapman/clutch shape they're running in the description, but you kinda have to memorize the dims to really differentiate (and I mean N/T, sometimes the length and wb match up). I think socal lists the shape codes when they sell clutch wood as well, or puts it in the item number or something like that. It's been a minute since I really went heavy on clutch stuff.

Also some of the warehouse places that run clutch wood will put up clear enough pics that you can make out the stamp, though for stuff like the O and V you can kinda just spot it from the shape. Flip runs a lot of O shape for example, so that's why their boards often look super square in stock photos.

There's older versions of the shape guide floating around that shows all the shapes. I want to say there's like 8 or 9 popsicles. If I come across one I'll post it here. Unfortunately they never really listed full dims so I had a spreadsheet for that. I don't know if I still have that either though, I accidentally deleted like half of my Google drive a while back. Let me see if I can find anything next time I'm on my laptop.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the correction.

Sometimes I do get confused with things and often if I am a little too busy I forget to check over previous info as well, which is what happened here.

I will remove that info from my previous posts too.

No worries. That's an easy one to confuse... they're both old school socal woodshops that were until recently surviving on the fringes of the wood game, and were kinda contemporaries in that birth of the popsicle and modern street skating era.

Like I said I don't actually know anything about Watson on a personal level but I always got the impression that it was a pretty tight knit place and losing O kind of sucked the wind out of their sails. I'd imagine it was already on life support financially precisely because they refused to become another Prime (or PGI, or Point, or Chapman) and insisted on making quality American skateboards by hand until they just couldn't anymore. It's quite sad, in a lot of ways you could probably consider them the last great old school American woodshop. I always kind of thought Watson was to decks what Ermico was to trucks.

I do wish there had been a bit more of a celebration and tribute, but shutting it down quietly is definitely in line with the way they ran the business and you have to respect that.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal

Someone had posted a screen shot of this in another thread the other day, which I tried to look for and didn't find, but it was just easier to check the insta post from Sam Hitz and repost it here.

https://www.instagram.com/larbvomit/

Accompanying text:

For years I would be at Watson laminates on a weekly basis. I had my own cubby hole there with all my templates in it for crying out loud. Nothing cooler than casually walking through the big garage doors and being greeted by Big Jim @jig60 at his shaping table..Some of the best boards I’ve ridden were by his hand. If O wasn’t there already, I knew if I waited a bit longer he would come walking in eventually and get his nose in what I was up to.. always encouraging and sincerely interested was O. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed his counsel as so many others have. I’d be lying if I told you this photo doesn’t choke me up a bit now. Here we have my boy holding his custom “Fart Fighter” deck surrounded by true masters of the craft.. With @csmodel28 and @montanapoolservice in the house I had to snap this photo..just another day at Watson really when big Jim was at the helm. Now it’s gone, pieced out to the highest bidder. It’s a shame, The place was a Gem of SD skateboarding. I truly know how spoiled I was to have access to the place making and skating hundreds of boards from there. Sucks it’s gone.
My best goes to all the employees that were still working there in the end.
Thank you for your service.
1w

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
Ya Hitz would occasionally do these absolutely wild custom shapes through Watson... if you ever watch that YouTube show where he goes and looks through creature riders board stashes you can see some of them. Usually really limited runs, like 50 or less. I think he was cranking a lot of them out basically by hand with the help of the Watson dudes. I used to see them occasionally pop up in shops or on eBay but I haven't seen one for a while.

https://youtu.be/_ETlUdxqIbk?feature=shared

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
Not sure if this goes here, but I’ve noticed that Welcome’s latest batch of decks are mostly popsicles. That’s what they’re called, no clever names, just popsicles.

I wonder if that means shaped decks are losing popularity. They’re still BBS, just thought I’d share.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
Not sure if this goes here, but I’ve noticed that Welcome’s latest batch of decks are mostly popsicles. That’s what they’re called, no clever names, just popsicles.

I wonder if that means shaped decks are losing popularity. They’re still BBS, just thought I’d share.

I wonder how many boards they are still selling compared to a year or even a few years ago.

They had branched out into twin boards not too long ago, which seemed to be selling well for them, but I guess it is just one of those things, where most brands will only stay interesting for a certain period, then drop off somewhat while the next big thing emerges.

Of course there are always brands that seem to stay relevant to a good number of skateboarders, but that number is dropping in favour of many more smaller niche market brands for whatever reason, same as things changed from 1980s to 1990s, when there were a handful of very large corporate brands, which then bled pro skaters into all their own startups and ended up with a ton more two minute companies with a smaller team but more relevance to the current skater market.

I haven't even seen many Welcome boards around of late, but they sure were known for anything and everything shaped at one point.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/collections/decks

Certainly the newer boards are maybe 40% popsicle to 60% shaped from their site, but that might also include a lot of older boards in the mix.

Some of those shapes are nice too, the Boline being a decent egg shape in 9.5 width.

https://welcomeskateboards.com/pages/shape-guide

It was fascinating to look through all the shapes, but I think I only ever skated a few, Golem and Sledgehammer / Necromancer being the main ones that people I know had and skated.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 04:40:39 PM by Woodshop »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
I just got an UMA pro model from their latest drop and it is china made. Has laser etched top with logo and dims.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
I just got an UMA pro model from their latest drop and it is china made. Has laser etched top with logo and dims.

I guess I will be changing that listing again.

But really, they started as BBS, then I think there were issues, so they did a China run, then back on BBS for a while, maybe a couple of years, now China again.

How does the concave and mold of the boards compare to other Uma / BBS boards, if you have had any recently to check against?

People who had the China made boards at first said they held up really well and had different concaves to the usual other more common China made boards, so I am curious if they have kept that going, or just have a more generic option for concaves / shapes / dimensions now.

Thanks for the info too.

Always appreciated!