Author Topic: Ryan Lay of Welcome  (Read 35008 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Ryan Lay of Welcome
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2022, 04:14:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe the biggest board sponsor upgrade in recent history?
[close]
Welcome/Etnies -> Sci-Fi/Vans is a much better fit
[close]
Wonder how long he upgrades the rest of his rig and get those krux's off his sci fi deck.
[close]
Venture would be a sick replacement for those Krux
[close]
I feel like he's more of an Ace kinda guy

The complete ass turning of Krux trucks is way closer to the slight lean turning of Ventures than it is to the deep carve of Aces so I dunno. If he likes how Krux’ skates I’m sure Ventures would be more suitable for him.

Don

• Rep: -31
« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2022, 04:59:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Mason Silva to real?

I say Element is just uncool meanwhile Welcome is whack so it’s more dramatic change

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1129
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2022, 06:23:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Mason Silva to real?
[close]

I say Element is just uncool meanwhile Welcome is whack so it’s more dramatic change

It's a shame that when element had the best team (world peace era) it didn't matter because the brand was still uncool, and everyone left.

Anyway, Etnies to vans only a glow up if vans is cutting a check. better to be paid than to be broke but cool.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2022, 08:05:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Mason Silva to real?
[close]

[close]

It's a shame that when element had the best team (world peace era) it didn't matter because the brand was still uncool, and everyone left.

Anyway, Etnies to vans only a glow up if vans is cutting a check. better to be paid than to be broke but cool.

i agree, but i wonder if you could make more selling vans out of your box than getting a check from etnies at this point

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2022, 08:06:45 AM »
Is all of Etnies budget going to Scheckler and Joslin so they don’t leave?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -510
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2022, 08:38:38 AM »

Based on the fact that joslins 12 iq ass can afford 2 kids a house and just built a pool while having the two least popular sponsors in skateboarding , yes.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2285
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2022, 09:27:40 AM »
Honestly I feel like Welcome was holding back everyone from really going full in on Ryan Lay being one of the best skaters out there right now. This move is huge for his legacy but also hopefully for his career.

Don't know why but when I was watching the part I was thinking about how good his fits would look with some classic Simples.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2022, 10:44:46 AM »

Do you know how much gas &&’s ambulance guzzles? 

whaaaaat

• Rep: 46
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »
I like how it seems like Jerry is building a team around values, as opposed to just straight skating. Granted there's only 2 of them so far, but it feels fresh and different.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #249 on: April 20, 2022, 11:48:33 PM »
I like how it seems like Jerry is building a team around values, as opposed to just straight skating. Granted there's only 2 of them so far, but it feels fresh and different.

jerry walks around the sketchiest parts of los angeles in dirty clothes, limping and dragging his foot pretending he's homeless so he can take photos. he ain't thinking about values lol.

jerry on disability pretender and slap loves him for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i love jerry)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 751
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2022, 12:02:53 AM »
Sorry, very stoked for Ryan Lay… what kind of wood is SciFi
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2022, 12:38:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you know how much gas &&’s ambulance slambulance guzzles?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2022, 01:33:46 AM »
is matt king still on fancy lad? his filming rules.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2022, 04:46:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

jerry walks around the sketchiest parts of los angeles in dirty clothes, limping and dragging his foot pretending he's homeless so he can take photos. he ain't thinking about values lol.

jerry on disability pretender and slap loves him for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i love jerry)

Maybe he’s filming another switch part

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2022, 05:51:56 AM »

IpathCats

« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2022, 11:23:22 AM »
If he got on venture and last resort, that would be the craziest transition from wack to cool sponsors.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2022, 12:46:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely is, maybe all time upgrade.
[close]

All time is a big stretch. Considering we've all been unsure if Jerry was going to have a team or not. I'd even have Julian Davidson going from Element to Deathwish above this.

Good for Ryan. Just watched the part, and really enjoyed it, and will be going back to that part/having it in my rotation. All of a sudden his skating has become a lot more appealing to me now that he's not on Welcome, and skating those shaped boards. All been an interesting watch seeing this company go from Jerry just making some hats for his friends to a fully fledged board company, over what, 5 years now?

Out of all the companies that has been thrown out there for Glick, this one he actually fits on. Make the call Jerry.

His board on welcome wasn't even that crazy though? Definitely didn't detract from his skating imo. Actually looks like something Polar would make (shape wise)

doublesteveburger

« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2022, 01:52:51 PM »
now if welcome would fucking turn will blaty pro already it's been way overdue

manysnakes

« Reply #258 on: April 24, 2022, 07:48:31 AM »
Haven’t yet listened, but thought the Lay-heads out there might be interested in this

www.mostlyskateboarding.net/2022/04/ryan-lay-on-his-move-to-sci-fi-fantasy.html?m=1

Monopolyman

« Reply #259 on: April 24, 2022, 12:48:59 PM »
Ryan does a good job explaining/representing the brand.  Arin is actively filming a part/pursuing pro skating and is “more on than him” which is to say she was first on and has been working on her part for a while- seems like shes an old school perfectionist and knows how much an initial street part matters, so is taking her time.  Ryan seemed to feel bad potentially stealing her thunder and being the only one with a board.  Max Garson and maybe someone else are getting flowed boards.  Jerry seems reluctant to give himself a board but as they point out every sci fi board and product essentially has his name on it.  Seems like a normal person not wanting to slap his name all over product and be perceived as a narcissist. So Jerry seems to be taking his time ramping up to emulating the typical skate brand business model.  Ryan said hes hoping he can land a new shoe deal, which might allow him to skate “full time” again, but he remains skeptical. And that he told Krux he was going to Sci fi in december / january when he was renewing his contract and theyre arranging a new pro truck. He had been considering retiring but the move has obviously given him some heat. Also he was riding sci fi boards while filming in secret for his part until the move was official.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2022, 01:21:01 PM »
What realistic shoe brand could he get on?

Monopolyman

« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2022, 01:26:45 PM »

Last Resort or Globe maybe? 

Vans would be cool and maybe Sci Fi activates it for him but it seems to be hard to break in there.  Not sure its a fair comparison but Austyn Gillete is younger and for whatever reason couldn’t get on

There’s a presumed standing offer from Cariuma to any pro on practically any brand of note, but thats a faustian bargain few self respecting skaters would make

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2022, 02:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Vans would be cool and maybe Sci Fi activates it for him but it seems to be hard to break in there.  Not sure its a fair comparison but Austyn Gillete is younger and for whatever reason couldn’t get on

There’s a presumed standing offer from Cariuma to any pro on practically any brand of note, but thats a faustian bargain few self respecting skaters would make
Globe! Austyn get him on.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 182
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2022, 02:34:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

LRAB with the gifted hater connection and the ability to provide vegan options for sure !

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

manysnakes

« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2022, 04:41:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ryan Lay on Cariuma would be the best just to see the Slap meltdown.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2022, 08:17:34 PM »
He mentioned how he saw aspects of cariuma being good on vent city(podcast he is on).
Some brand out there will see the value with having a rider who is pro for something hip/hot like sci fi.
I doubt vans has any room but you never know.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #266 on: April 24, 2022, 08:25:39 PM »
Vans seems to flow/have so many riders I dunno why they couldn't add him. Pro shoe? No, not likely one bit, but it begs the question of why wouldn't they? He's a long established, safe, and marketable guy insofar as he puts out a decent amount of footage and they can use his after school program to their advantage like they did with Justin Henry. He doesn't sponsor hop and probably wouldn't really require much pay at this point.

Monopolyman

« Reply #267 on: April 24, 2022, 08:51:10 PM »
Vans seems to flow/have so many riders I dunno why they couldn't add him. Pro shoe? No, not likely one bit, but it begs the question of why wouldn't they? He's a long established, safe, and marketable guy insofar as he puts out a decent amount of footage and they can use his after school program to their advantage like they did with Justin Henry. He doesn't sponsor hop and probably wouldn't really require much pay at this point.

Totally agree.  Makes perfect sense.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #268 on: April 24, 2022, 09:01:57 PM »
Vans generally prefer to get someone from the outset of their career and have them grow with the brand. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule with guys like Tony Hawk, Andrew Reynolds, Rick McCrank, and Zion felt like an Olympic decision. I see the case for Ryan, but it doesn't quite fit into what Vans have been doing for a long time now.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #269 on: April 24, 2022, 09:13:21 PM »
Since they are already dropping Elijah's shoe why not just completely drop him and sub in Ryan? Not sure anyone but Elijah himself and the few dozen teens probably cosplaying his cosplay would notice.