Author Topic: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)  (Read 35693 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: POLARIZER THREAD (60s/70s style boards)
« Reply #360 on: December 09, 2022, 09:25:47 AM »
Expand Quote
If you can find a Gold Cup complete (it was the NHS version of the Penny board, designed by Lance Mountain), the stock trucks would be the most modern truck that look aesthetically like vintage trucks. Normal kingpin and locknut and the jam nut is molded into the baseplate just for looks.

They came out about 10 years ago.

[close]
I had one of these and the trucks sucked. They turned way worse than a penny board. I swapped bushings and loosened them and they still sucked.
Thanks for saving me so much time.

I will probably just buy those heated wheel trucks. They look pretty much like the ones I had on my fiberglass banana board that really was the start of my riding this wonderful toy.

IpathCats

« Reply #361 on: December 09, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
I need to ride my polarizer more. I have so much fun on it. I think i need to search out some polarizer specific spots.

I could always take it to landsdowne, that would probably be sick.

lulz

• Rep: 44
« Reply #362 on: December 11, 2022, 03:39:35 PM »
Super stoked on these.

And they’re out!

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #363 on: December 11, 2022, 05:22:14 PM »
Anyone planning on snagging?  Would love to hear how these ride… swear I’m gonna make a Polarizer soon… and these have been on my wishlist since rumors of their existence emerged.  Some of the comments about possible design flaws give me pause - I’m new to the genre so I don’t understand exactly what those potential weaknesses would impact - curious to read reviews!

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #364 on: December 11, 2022, 05:45:00 PM »
Anyone planning on snagging?  Would love to hear how these ride… swear I’m gonna make a Polarizer soon… and these have been on my wishlist since rumors of their existence emerged.  Some of the comments about possible design flaws give me pause - I’m new to the genre so I don’t understand exactly what those potential weaknesses would impact - curious to read reviews!
i dont think its that there are weaknesses, they just chose to keep them with vintage specs, like the sure grip trucks most people use, when if they had modern design(kingpins, hardware size, etc) it would have made polarizers much more approachable for new people. (although part of why i love polarizers of the barrier of entry- gives them some standing over "cool penny board bro" ;))

i would buy these if it wasnt over $40usd to ship them to canada. once a shop here gets a pair ill snag em

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #365 on: December 11, 2022, 06:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i dont think its that there are weaknesses, they just chose to keep them with vintage specs, like the sure grip trucks most people use, when if they had modern design(kingpins, hardware size, etc) it would have made polarizers much more approachable for new people. (although part of why i love polarizers of the barrier of entry- gives them some standing over "cool penny board bro" ;))

i would buy these if it wasnt over $40usd to ship them to canada. once a shop here gets a pair ill snag em

Thanks for filling me in, that makes sense!

fernando the skater

• Rep: 109
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2022, 04:26:24 AM »
I'd argue the slotted kingpin is the main issue I have with them. You need to have a tool to able to tighten the bolt, and it's a pain if you don't have anything applicable lying around. A hex head is far easier. Though you can swap out for a hex head at a local hardware store.

thanksgiving

« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2022, 05:42:34 PM »
i sent a dm to canadian dist for heated wheel, they said they are not planning on getting polarizer trucks in  :-[

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2022, 06:57:11 PM »
I got my trucks in today and first take is pretty solid.

Fits regular hardware and the kingpin adjusts just fine with a regular flat head screwdriver. The bushings feel pretty soft, probably 78-82a and overall I’m really impressed with the build and aesthetic of the trucks in hand. No need for additional washers inside the wheels to push them out. Its almost as if blender spent years dialing in roller skate trucks then manufactured a set that hits all the marks right out of the box.
Hopefully it dries out this weekend and I can give them a ride on the track n field.

fernando the skater

« Reply #370 on: December 19, 2022, 12:05:34 PM »

"Lefty"'s bushing set-up for the Heated Wheel trucks.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #371 on: December 19, 2022, 06:32:08 PM »
Nice I run bont 78a bushings on my sure grips

George Vallore recommended them earlier in the thread and they’re real nice.

fernando the skater

« Reply #372 on: December 27, 2022, 09:16:58 AM »

You can now get the trucks in white it seems.

And the trucks have a 4.6" axle which is slightly wider than the ACS 430s that I use (don't know the axle width of the Sure Grips). Not sure they're worth me spending money on them though.

edit: Offset Skate Supply says the Sure Grip axle is 4.125" - https://offsetskatesupply.co.uk/product/sure-grip-century-trucks/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 02:53:40 AM by fernando the skater »

thanksgiving

« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2022, 09:09:33 AM »
anyone get a chance to use the trucks yet!?

Sketch Hitchcock

« Reply #374 on: January 02, 2023, 10:25:38 PM »
Damn, $36.99 for Heated Wheel trucks sounds like a pretty good deal

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/the-heated-wheel-skateboards-polarizer-polished-mini-trucks-set-of-2-4.5-axle-set-of-2

Also can get additional 10 percent off with promo code SK8FOR10

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #375 on: January 03, 2023, 05:39:01 AM »
I gotta say thank you to whomever suggested the Powerdyne bushings for the Sure Grip Peanuts. The Bones softs felt like dogshit in comparison. Night and day.

Neil

• Rep: 13
« Reply #376 on: January 03, 2023, 09:19:36 AM »
Damn, $36.99 for Heated Wheel trucks sounds like a pretty good deal

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/the-heated-wheel-skateboards-polarizer-polished-mini-trucks-set-of-2-4.5-axle-set-of-2

Also can get additional 10 percent off with promo code SK8FOR10

Love the recycled copy:

"The Heated Wheel skateboard trucks are known for being some of the most reliable trucks on the market, and won't let you down. The Heated Wheel Skateboards Polarizer Polished Mini Trucks (Set of 2) 4.5" Axle guarantees a stellar ride, provided you're a stellar rider."

AlSharpton

• Rep: 1
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2023, 02:05:25 PM »
I got my trucks in today and first take is pretty solid.

Fits regular hardware and the kingpin adjusts just fine with a regular flat head screwdriver. The bushings feel pretty soft, probably 78-82a and overall I’m really impressed with the build and aesthetic of the trucks in hand. No need for additional washers inside the wheels to push them out. Its almost as if blender spent years dialing in roller skate trucks then manufactured a set that hits all the marks right out of the box.
Hopefully it dries out this weekend and I can give them a ride on the track n field.

Have you tried to different wheels? I like the rough riders but it would be cool to experiment with other wheels in these trucks if they’d accommodate more variety. 

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: January 29, 2023, 05:49:08 AM »

Track n field polarizer trucks and hardware
Bones Swiss and acid pods

This thing fucks. Super fun steep deep carves

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #379 on: January 29, 2023, 05:55:05 AM »
I gotta say thank you to whomever suggested the Powerdyne bushings for the Sure Grip Peanuts. The Bones softs felt like dogshit in comparison. Night and day.

Hop up kits are the fuckin' biz.  Had mine in my polarizer for 5 years, love em.

thanksgiving

« Reply #380 on: February 26, 2023, 03:35:42 PM »
new drop on the site- what do you think about the boards coming pre-drilled now? as much as i hate to admit it, i liked the gatekeepy aspect of needing to actually put some work in to get the setup going. not to mention its less customizable now.

anyone have feedback on the trucks yet?

boston_bruins

« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2023, 03:39:48 PM »
Looks like there is still an undrilled “traditional polarizer” offered on the site

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2023, 07:16:27 PM »
new drop on the site- what do you think about the boards coming pre-drilled now? as much as i hate to admit it, i liked the gatekeepy aspect of needing to actually put some work in to get the setup going. not to mention its less customizable now.

I have the trucks and they’re awesome. Real steep squirrely turn. Basically perfect out of the box, you’re benefiting from blenders madness over years of dialing in roller skates.

thanksgiving

« Reply #383 on: February 28, 2023, 12:32:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I have the trucks and they’re awesome. Real steep squirrely turn. Basically perfect out of the box, you’re benefiting from blenders madness over years of dialing in roller skates.
how do they compare to peanut sure grips? worth a 54 buck upgrade?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #384 on: February 28, 2023, 06:59:03 AM »
yeah they're worth the $54

figure peanuts are $40 and you gotta put at least $10 of bushings into them. I haven't touched my polarizer with sure grips since I set up the new trucks on the track n field

fernando the skater

« Reply #385 on: February 28, 2023, 09:53:01 AM »
yeah they're worth the $54

figure peanuts are $40 and you gotta put at least $10 of bushings into them. I haven't touched my polarizer with sure grips since I set up the new trucks on the track n field

And how does the Track and Field compare to the normal polarizer? It's flat, so there's a bit more flex?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #386 on: February 28, 2023, 11:37:02 AM »
yeah it does have a bit more flex

thanksgiving

« Reply #387 on: May 05, 2023, 12:14:13 AM »
i know discussion seems to have shifted to the new heated wheel thread, but want to put this here for archival purposes. this is an instant buy once in canada.

https://theheatedwheel.com/collections/polarizers/products/fiber-rider-polarizer

fernando the skater

« Reply #388 on: May 05, 2023, 12:44:41 AM »
I wish it had been 27". Seems expensive for a plain fibreglass deck when you can pick up old 70s ones off Ebay for much less.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #389 on: May 05, 2023, 07:02:56 AM »
Been talking my dog out for walks while on the polarizer lately, so damn fun and he loves it.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E