Author Topic: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ  (Read 173204 times)

Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
Re: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2022, 05:08:54 PM »
So we cut the camp trip short by a day. Biting flies put us over the edge and it just wasn’t worth it. The kids got the full multi-day off the grid camping experience, though, so it was a huge success.
Our cast iron griddle caught on fire. Lodge, about a half inch thick. It’s probably 9x20, short wheelbase but fun for pancakes and roasting stuff. Lives on the center rack of the oven at home.
We went for campfire cookies and boom the thing was ablaze! Coating flaky, partner said it’s fucked forget it. But I remembered these skateboardmessageboarders who knew about everything, from history to fashion to holy shit: cast iron cooking! so here I am.
Can it be saved, it’s just a hunk of metal, that “coating” was just some cancer-inducing buildup of corboxylized oils and corbonium-rich crust, right?
I can scrub it with a wire brush and start over? Break it down to build it up like the army?
Thanks in advance for any tips you can give on this. And my pants and music and politics and graffiti and trans rights too!

I'm sure it'll come up ok. Watch the cowboy clip above for some cleaning tips.

One time my camp oven had some surface rust on it so I used a wire brush tip in a drill. That worked well. Once re-sealed it was as good as new
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2022, 05:18:57 PM »
Have yall heard about the absolute psychos who only clean their cast iron using a cut-in-half potato and some salt? 

Banned from the room

« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2022, 07:47:04 PM »
Have yall heard about the absolute psychos who only clean their cast iron using a cut-in-half potato and some salt?

Better than Teflon tho.

I heard at Wendy’s the salt and scrape the grills at night.

I’ve only worked at McDonald’s. We didn’t really clean much till the board of health got involved.

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2022, 10:33:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Better than Teflon tho.

I heard at Wendy’s the salt and scrape the grills at night.

I’ve only worked at McDonald’s. We didn’t really clean much till the board of health got involved.

Used to work in a few kitchens. The standard protocol is to first ice the flat top grill to cool and harden the grease, then put a bunch of kosher/rock salt on as an abrasive, and squirt some lemon juice on there as a degreaser. Scrub that mix around with whatever, rinse it or wipe it down with a wet rag, then put some type of oil on there to protect it. Same goes for cast iron if you want to be a G about it.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2022, 10:50:19 PM »
You guys are going camping with cast iron? :o Seems excessively heavy to lug around in the nature.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2022, 02:56:59 AM »
any wok heads in here? got a new wok a while ago but only had electric hobs so couldn't really season it, got gas now though so gonna try get it going

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2022, 07:12:19 AM »
You guys are going camping with cast iron? :o Seems excessively heavy to lug around in the nature.

I think if you’re backpacking and traveling light, yeah it’s not super reasonable. But cast iron is perfect for camping. You can just pull some coals out of the fire to cook on or just bring any grate for over the fire and cook anything in it.

manysnakes

« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2022, 07:23:27 AM »
So we cut the camp trip short by a day. Biting flies put us over the edge and it just wasn’t worth it. The kids got the full multi-day off the grid camping experience, though, so it was a huge success.
Our cast iron griddle caught on fire. Lodge, about a half inch thick. It’s probably 9x20, short wheelbase but fun for pancakes and roasting stuff. Lives on the center rack of the oven at home.
We went for campfire cookies and boom the thing was ablaze! Coating flaky, partner said it’s fucked forget it. But I remembered these skateboardmessageboarders who knew about everything, from history to fashion to holy shit: cast iron cooking! so here I am.
Can it be saved, it’s just a hunk of metal, that “coating” was just some cancer-inducing buildup of corboxylized oils and corbonium-rich crust, right?
I can scrub it with a wire brush and start over? Break it down to build it up like the army?
Thanks in advance for any tips you can give on this. And my pants and music and politics and graffiti and trans rights too!

It’s the wrong time of year to do this, but come winter you can run it through the oven on “self-cleaning” mode and it’ll burn off all of the excess material leaving you with a fresh pan, ready to be seasoned.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2022, 08:46:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think if you’re backpacking and traveling light, yeah it’s not super reasonable. But cast iron is perfect for camping. You can just pull some coals out of the fire to cook on or just bring any grate for over the fire and cook anything in it.

I guess you can go camping without hiking too. It’s just a foreign concept to me. Do you just go somewhere by car and set up camp right next to where you park?

323-BALM

• Rep: 50
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2022, 08:53:11 AM »
Yeah. Car camping. Pull off on an old dirt road next to a river. Had about 200 foot trail to this:
image hosting

I call this “Beaver at Dusk.”
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
Yeah. Car camping. Pull off on an old dirt road next to a river. Had about 200 foot trail to this:
image hosting

I call this “Beaver at Dusk.”

Damn. That seems awesome. I guess we mostly don’t have such places accessible by car here in Finland so I’ve never even considered that being a thing really.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2022, 11:15:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess you can go camping without hiking too. It’s just a foreign concept to me. Do you just go somewhere by car and set up camp right next to where you park?

Park and take a boat or canoe to your campsite for a week. Always a solid option 

manysnakes

« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2022, 11:45:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There are a lot of great roadside camp sites where you can pitch a tent or sleep safely in your vehicle for like $12. Much cheaper than paying for a hotel or motel when you’re traveling. I have a van so I’m no stranger to hauling cast iron around to campsites, but yeah I wouldn’t dream to haul that shit on my back.

keepthefunkalive

« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2022, 11:58:46 AM »
Wife and I are headed out to do some truck camping today with the dogs actually. Pack the 4runner up, take a two track deep into state land, pitch a tent by the river. Simple and easy. Got my coleman stove and a cast iron ready to rock. Cooler full of bevvies and food. Blue tooth speaker, books, fly fishing gear, macro lens for plant photos. Truck camping is the shit

manysnakes

« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2022, 09:53:31 AM »
Wife and I are headed out to do some truck camping today with the dogs actually. Pack the 4runner up, take a two track deep into state land, pitch a tent by the river. Simple and easy. Got my coleman stove and a cast iron ready to rock. Cooler full of bevvies and food. Blue tooth speaker, books, fly fishing gear, macro lens for plant photos. Truck camping is the shit

Yeah, I don’t know if this is maybe a coastal thing, where it might seem stranger to someone on the east coast, which is so much more densely populated. Because here in the western part of the US, you can camp for free or cheap in much of the millions of acres of national forest and other government land. It’s a super easy thing to do, and access is pretty much limited to people with motor vehicles or, if you’re an idiot like me, you can ride your bike out there.

This is a stock image, but I camped out here and I wouldn’t have been able to do it without a vehicle of some kind.

keepthefunkalive

« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2022, 10:52:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I don’t know if this is maybe a coastal thing, where it might seem stranger to someone on the east coast, which is so much more densely populated. Because here in the western part of the US, you can camp for free or cheap in much of the millions of acres of national forest and other government land. It’s a super easy thing to do, and access is pretty much limited to people with motor vehicles or, if you’re an idiot like me, you can ride your bike out there.

This is a stock image, but I camped out here and I wouldn’t have been able to do it without a vehicle of some kind.

I think it's more about land access policy and population yeah. We're in northern MI. We just went for a day and drove about 1.5 hrs into a state forest. Took a few two-track roads and set up shop next to a lovely little river in the woods. We're pretty lucky

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2022, 11:24:04 AM »
We’ve got “Everyman’s rights” in Finland which means you can go camp, pick berries and mushrooms and hunt on anyone’s land. Not sure about parking though. And of course you can’t go destroying crops, leaving trash or camp in someone’s backyard. So all in all I think we might have a pretty good country for car camping but for some reason it’s not really a thing here. At least I don’t know anyone doing such. People (including me) do like to go hiking though.

Anyway, what you guys have posted about car camping seems really cool. I’ll need to rethink my next summer vacation. Could possibly camp a whole bunch more, not just when out hiking.

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #227 on: August 03, 2022, 07:15:57 AM »

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 177
« Reply #228 on: August 08, 2022, 06:30:20 PM »
This month’s Thrasher:

“Autuer, skater and clothier Mikey Alfred let us know that he will henceforth be working on a new full-length media project with a whole new cast of people to remain unnamed.”

Cast Iron Skateboards?

323-BALM

• Rep: 50
« Reply #229 on: September 06, 2022, 03:20:15 PM »
hey.

the griddle was saved. I soaked it in vinegar overnight and scrubbed it down with a wire brush. Didn't even get to steel wool levels. Re-seasoned with olive erl in the oven, a couple few sessions and it's back 2 life. Cleaned bare to legal C.I., V-ictory thank you slappos

Camping-wise, back to that general area and a couple of small forest fires last weekend. Orange sunset on night one, woke up to winds of change and the smoke was gone. Realized that we didn't have too much fire trouble this summer, thank you Joe Biden!
You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.

manysnakes

« Reply #230 on: September 06, 2022, 03:41:12 PM »
Found a 10" Lodge Signature pan at a thrift store a while back. Couldn't pass it up even though I have a 1940s  10" Lodge, a 10" Le Creuset (both purchased from this same store), and a 12" modern Lodge. If I decide not to keep it, maybe I'll pass it along to a Slap homie. It needs seasoning but then it'll good to go for a hundred years of daily use.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #231 on: September 06, 2022, 03:48:57 PM »
Clothier.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #232 on: September 06, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »
I bet Mikey Alfred’s skull is made of cast iron

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2022, 04:39:02 PM »
This month’s Thrasher:

“Autuer, skater and clothier Mikey Alfred let us know that he will henceforth be working on a new full-length media project with a whole new cast of people to remain unnamed.”

Cast Iron Skateboards?

Hopefully he makes "West Hollywood" so he can leech off gay culture as well as skating this time!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 04:46:29 PM by offkilter »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »
This month’s Thrasher:

Cast Iron Skateboards?
Did they really spell “auteur” wrong or are you making this up

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 177
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2022, 10:15:27 PM »
Expand Quote
This month’s Thrasher:

Cast Iron Skateboards?
[close]

Sorry to keep you in suspense.  It’s real, I just misspelled auteur typing it up.

Mikey’s apparently on some NKA vids shit these days:

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2022, 10:30:58 PM »
Carbon steel pans are very similar and a nice lighter alternative to cast iron, probably good for camping trips etc.

That's my contribution to the cast iron pan thread.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2022, 11:03:09 PM »
Mikeys a suss cunt. Who’s gonna do the deep dive to find out what fucked mega rich republican is his dad.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2022, 01:02:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This month’s Thrasher:

Cast Iron Skateboards?
[close]
[close]

Sorry to keep you in suspense.  It’s real, I just misspelled auteur typing it up.

Mikey’s apparently on some NKA vids shit these days:

Yes sirski!!!!

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2022, 01:12:39 AM »
Mikeys a suss cunt. Who’s gonna do the deep dive to find out what fucked mega rich republican is his dad.

Pretty sure Bob Evans.  Well, like-his-dad.

BOB EVANS: (turning white, clutching his chest with one hand, phone in the other) ...Errrkkkk...
MIKEY ALFRED: I've already typed it up for you! Just press "Enter"!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 01:21:57 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"