Author Topic: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ  (Read 173249 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1138
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Tyshawn shots fired at Mikey Alfred and Illegal Civ
« Reply #750 on: November 01, 2022, 01:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
I walk past the bronze statue. Wow. I’m here so quickly. I’m wearing a sticker with my name on it. You’re in New York. Look at me. I’m on a horse.
[close]

I think it sounds like lines of dialogue from a Cormac McCarthy novel.

I got Blood Meridian the other day but haven’t started reading it yet.  Heard it’s really good though.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
« Reply #751 on: November 01, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I walk past the bronze statue. Wow. I’m here so quickly. I’m wearing a sticker with my name on it. You’re in New York. Look at me. I’m on a horse.
[close]

[close]

I got Blood Meridian the other day but haven’t started reading it yet.  Heard it’s really good though.
It's great, brutal, but great.

Get hungry on it!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #752 on: November 01, 2022, 01:48:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bret Easton ellis

darkthrone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #753 on: November 01, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »
I love that this thread evolved into a book club.

Bryanferry

• Rep: -43
« Reply #754 on: November 01, 2022, 02:06:52 PM »
I recommend Piranesi by susanna Clark. A great journey through the vestibules of the mind.

Kanteen Russell

• Rep: -72
« Reply #755 on: November 01, 2022, 02:08:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You want great and brutal, lad?

Try HOGG, by Samuel Delaney.

Thank me later on my insta.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #756 on: November 01, 2022, 02:17:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

You want great and brutal, lad?

Try HOGG, by Samuel Delaney.

Thank me later on my insta.

That is one of your first posts.  You need to be placed on a watchlist

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #757 on: November 01, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
I think now is the time for a legendary collaboration... it couldn't be any more perfect... Berra and Alfred... doritos and cariuma... Boring Alfredo: A lifestyle brand of alfredo-dust flavored skate shoes

Mikey Alfritos X Berriuma

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #758 on: November 01, 2022, 02:29:29 PM »
Well Jenkem got interviews (guarantee someone will make a dedicated post for this)

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2022/11/01/what-the-hell-is-going-with-illegal-civ/

rickdizzo

• Rep: 15
  • I'M THE WHITE LIAM NEESON
« Reply #759 on: November 01, 2022, 02:36:55 PM »
Well Jenkem got interviews (guarantee someone will make a dedicated post for this)

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2022/11/01/what-the-hell-is-going-with-illegal-civ/

jenkem gave mikey the opportunity to set the record straight but he still wanted to come off as a arrogant dickweed

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 177
« Reply #760 on: November 01, 2022, 02:47:27 PM »
Expand Quote
I think now is the time for a legendary collaboration... it couldn't be any more perfect... Berra and Alfred... doritos and cariuma... Boring Alfredo: A lifestyle brand of alfredo-dust flavored skate shoes
[close]

Mikey Alfritos X Berriuma

Incredible. 

Would be amazing if this happened, just to have Steve and Mikey self-immolating together in one instagram post’s comment section.

—there are no rules. This is my version of skateboarding.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #761 on: November 01, 2022, 02:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

jenkem gave mikey the opportunity to set the record straight but he still wanted to come off as a arrogant dickweed

A little annoyed they didn’t give any pushback on the “bucket of money” story.   It’s easy enough to parse that someone gave him a bunch of money and he pretends he earned it through sales, but Id like him to struggle a little bit with so,e cross examination

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #762 on: November 01, 2022, 03:01:07 PM »
Those kids would be better with their footage in the video now, because with all this attention, there will potentially be a lot of eyes on it. It's free promo for them.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1129
« Reply #763 on: November 01, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Every thing Mikey said was undercut by his own actions

I do think Mikey had the right idea. The kids could have rode out the vlog backlash and been fine. Skating speaks for it self. Old IC fans would move on and a new wave of kids would have been in to it(probably). It’s happened before. That was undercut by his own actions of posting bullshit on the IC page.

He didn’t follow his own advise of ignoring the hate. He’s not to first dude to hold footage hostage, it sucks but it happens. Logan did ask for his clips the wrong way and will learn from this. Mikey however went about doing it the wrong way and now it’s biting him in the ass.

I feel the bad for Dalton

Also he said illegal civ ain’t selling but I don’t see any product anywhere. Not of zumiez, not on paradeworld, but you got hundreds of boards ready to be sanded? Why hasn’t zumiez restocked?

manysnakes

« Reply #764 on: November 01, 2022, 03:02:07 PM »

The subtext as I read it is that he Mikey is flat fucking broke. Probably spent whatever savings or inheritance he had (notice how he dodges the question of where the money came from) and has no new revenue streams.

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
« Reply #766 on: November 01, 2022, 03:04:48 PM »
Jenkem: What’s going on with Logan’s footage? Is it going to come out in the video?
Mikey: Bro, it’s not even that sick. It’s not the sickest footage. The way I feel, I’m helping these kids by not using it. They’ll look back one day, like, “Man, Mikey was right. I’m glad I didn’t put out some weak ass shit.”
From where I sit, Logan and Benecio [Montalvo] are privileged cry babies who can’t handle negative comments tryna unfairly make money off a black man

This shit is wild. Why the fuck would anyone wanna ride for your company after this? Like a week ago you were hyping up this video like crazy and now it's all trash and you're doing them a favor? You're not Dana White trashing people who leave the company because you're the only game in town, you're at best, a marginal company that sounds like it was propped up by an angel investment from who knows where. You were already viewed like a kook who's trying to profit off our culture and this interview is gonna do nothing to dissuade people of that notion.

manysnakes

« Reply #767 on: November 01, 2022, 03:06:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Jenkem: What’s going on with Logan’s footage? Is it going to come out in the video?
Mikey: Bro, it’s not even that sick. It’s not the sickest footage. The way I feel, I’m helping these kids by not using it. They’ll look back one day, like, “Man, Mikey was right. I’m glad I didn’t put out some weak ass shit.”
From where I sit, Logan and Benecio [Montalvo] are privileged cry babies who can’t handle negative comments tryna unfairly make money off a black man
[close]

This shit is wild. Why the fuck would anyone wanna ride for your company after this? Like a week ago you were hyping up this video like crazy and now it's all trash and you're doing them a favor? You're not Dana White trashing people who leave the company because you're the only game in town, you're at best, a marginal company that sounds like it was propped up by an angel investment from who knows where. You were already viewed like a kook who's trying to profit off our culture and this interview is gonna do nothing to dissuade people of that notion.

You know we've reached the logical end of this line of thinking when Mikey, the employer, is deriding his employees for "unfairly make money off a black man" (getting paid for what they produce).

grassblade

« Reply #768 on: November 01, 2022, 03:06:35 PM »
kevin white trying to drag gifted hater over any of this,
while still simping for mikey alfred is next level kook shit

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #769 on: November 01, 2022, 03:11:04 PM »
I guess it makes sense if Kevin knows that Mikey is going through some bad mental struggles. Bad situation for everybody

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #770 on: November 01, 2022, 03:11:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You know we've reached the logical end of this line of thinking when Mikey, the employer, is deriding his employees for "unfairly make money off a black man" (getting paid for what they produce).

I mean it really lays bare his narcissism. He doesn't get that he's embarrassing himself, people are just pointing it out

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1267
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #771 on: November 01, 2022, 03:15:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I guess it makes sense if Kevin knows that Mikey is going through some bad mental struggles. Bad situation for everybody
i mean yeah multiple times it was said it wasn’t the gifted hater video, it was the negative comments on the IC video. GH obviously put it into a brighter light, but the initial head scratcher was the comments on Mikey’s video that they didn’t even know he was going to put out. 

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: November 01, 2022, 03:16:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can understand his position as well. Your homie is fucking up big time but you also know he's struggling, but you don't want your money to get fucked up because your boy can't log off

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1129
« Reply #773 on: November 01, 2022, 03:16:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not gonna throw my homie under the bridge for 2 weeks of shit posting or internet beefing with children. I’m shit on him in person but not to a magazine.

I respect how he handled it.

rickdizzo

• Rep: 15
  • I'M THE WHITE LIAM NEESON
« Reply #774 on: November 01, 2022, 03:17:46 PM »

i can see what he’s getting with saying that GH is on the outside looking in for his youtube audience, but then saying giving the kids weed was fine actually i could see the kook

mindfuzz

• Rep: 37
« Reply #775 on: November 01, 2022, 03:18:33 PM »
I’m paying out $60,000 on the payroll. Project managers, skaters, etc.

This is the weirdest part of all of this…he’s got a staff of project managers?

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #776 on: November 01, 2022, 03:19:34 PM »
I recommend Piranesi by susanna Clark. A great journey through the vestibules of the mind.

Damn. I read about this book around the time it came out and I really wanted to read it but then totally forgot everything about it. All attempts to remember anything about it or try to recognize the title/cover in a book store were fruitless. Very stoked on this post.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: November 01, 2022, 03:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is being an egomaniac grasping at straws a mental struggle?   

Dude got a bunch of money, thought he was gods gift to skateboarding and could burn through that money paying his friends high salaries and that his business savvy would keep the money train rolling and they would only get richer.   When that didn’t happen, he expected everyone he was paying salaries to to start living off royalties because he wasn’t making any money.   They understandably didn’t want to do that, left, and he probably sees them as a bunch of ingrates. 

So he tries to start all over again with kids that he assume won’t expect anything and that he can manipulate to his will like some kind of third tier Malcolm MacLaren, only they fucking hate what they see and turn on him because they realize they’ll be kooked by association and he has a hissy fit because everyone is leaving him again, but again takes zero percent of the responsibility in that because his narcissism won’t allow him to think he did anything wrong. 

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #778 on: November 01, 2022, 03:24:00 PM »
I watch Gifted Hater here and there but has no idea his videos make that much of an impact to the point that it’s be referenced that much on this article.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

manysnakes

« Reply #779 on: November 01, 2022, 03:26:32 PM »
I watch Gifted Hater here and there but has no idea his videos make that much of an impact to the point that it’s be referenced that much on this article.

His most recent Illegal Civ video seems to have pushed him into another tier of skateboarding and YouTube. It got like 100k views in a few days, and if you look (I've been going through his old videos at work this week), most of his older stuff has like 20-50k views after a year or two.