Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86768 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #480 on: October 07, 2022, 03:14:01 PM »
It's pretty damn marginal. I'm not sure Ti hangers are a ton lighter than hollow, it's just what I had. I prefer the sound of solid axles so it comes down to that.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #481 on: October 08, 2022, 12:43:15 AM »
All truck sizes are completely arbitrary. The newest models have the freshest molds and will presumably feature the least variance between individual trucks of the same size. Run what ‘ya brung.

Or.... you could just bring a spare pair of trucks to the session and switch them out half way. Not that I would ever do something as silly as that.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #482 on: October 08, 2022, 08:26:25 AM »

Or I could just stick to the forged hollows + risers.

If you are positive about ti axles and don't want to buy more than one set of trucks at a time?

Absolutely.

Getting a lighter lower truck, you can always put risers under it, from less than 1mm shock pads (or cut up rubber from a bike tube) through the most common 1/8" general sizes to whatever height you like 1/4" or even 1/2", etc. 

Old 80s setups pretty much all had 1/2" risers with 60+ mm wheels and most cruisers I set up for people have 1/4" risers for around 60-63 mm wheels nowdays too.

On the other hand, you can't make a heavy tall truck lower or lighter.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #483 on: October 08, 2022, 11:01:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My madness has gone from different truck brands to bouncing around on different types of indy's. Is this an improvement? Parts of me still want some thunder/venture snap in my life, but I just keep reminding myself that the sacrifices in turn/grind are not worth it. that seems to be working.

But now I'm between 144s and 149s, cant figure out what weight/height i want. and I cant decide between standard or hard black bushings, which is something i thought i figured out YEARS ago. I just bought a set of 149 standards thinking i would like the heft because the 144 ti's were kinda unwieldy in the air, but i was wrong, way too heavy. So now im back on 149 ti's with 1/16th risers to make them roughly the height of standards. Was swapping between 54 and 56mm classics too which is affecting the height/popfeel. AHHHHHH! please make this stop lol
[close]

My favorite Indy's were Ti hangers on cast plates. Lighter than hollows and they don't sound different cuz the axle isn't hollow.
[close]

Okay, this is interesting AF. So if I for some reason wanted the same setup. I’d have to get a set of Hollow Standards and the Forged TI, and then swap the plates and effectively make a set of Forged Hollows and a set of TI Standards?
Not gonna lie, it’s tempting, as I’d like very much to be free of using a riser with 56mm wheels, and the set of Forged Hollows could be set up for a cruiser, where I’m not so nit picky, cause I’ll have to use risers anyway.
But, it’s 216€\211$ worth of trucks.
[close]

Indy makes cast hollows just get those and call it a day
[close]
Yeah, those are the ones I mentioned, in Europe they’re mostly listed as “Hollow Standard”, with hollow kingpin and axel, and cast base, but to get the TI Hangers I’ll have to get a set of Forged TI as well. I don’t feel like you’re supporting my madness at all. 1,5mm higher truck with lower weight than the forged hollows is really appealing.

its for your own good

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #484 on: October 08, 2022, 12:19:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

If you are positive about ti axles and don't want to buy more than one set of trucks at a time?

Absolutely.

Getting a lighter lower truck, you can always put risers under it, from less than 1mm shock pads (or cut up rubber from a bike tube) through the most common 1/8" general sizes to whatever height you like 1/4" or even 1/2", etc. 

Old 80s setups pretty much all had 1/2" risers with 60+ mm wheels and most cruisers I set up for people have 1/4" risers for around 60-63 mm wheels nowdays too.

[close]
Oh yeah, I’m all set with risers. Got this big bag of carpenters spacers in 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5mm, and can cut/drill them to fit. I’m still getting wheelbite even though I’m using 3mm risers on forged hollows with 57mm wheels. I’m 275 pounds, so I can pretty much squash any bushings by relaxing my ankles. Wheels have already started to eat into the quad-x ply of my creature Russell VX.
So I guess I got to go a little higher.
Have bones hard bushings, and Indy super hards. The bones have the best rebound, and they’re not cranked down in yet, but I’m hesitant cause I read that they blow out fast if you mush them too much.

Here’s one “before” pic of the Indy 1/8 shock pad getting squished, and some of the DIY shit. I just did it with a power drill on the kitchen counter.

Any recommendations for 100a bushings that fit Indy’s?

Just out of curiosity, are you getting tossed from wheel bite? Or just seeing rub marks?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #485 on: October 08, 2022, 12:21:24 PM »
Ya dude you're in a fucking parallel universe of madness that most of us can't really fathom and we're just trying to pull you back to standard galaxy Earth.

Honestly at your weight I would stick with hollow axles. They are stronger as the inside is hardened as well. Ti axles are not strong, I'm 163lbs and have bent an Indy ti axle and I absolutely do not get gnar. I'd get the yellow bushings if I were you as well the 100A ones and I would recommend maybe some more standard sized wheels for less wheelbite. Otherwise you're going to end up with a 55mm truck with 5mm of risers and shit will be all fucked. You will pop and by the time your tail hits the ground a normal board would have already completed the trick.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #486 on: October 08, 2022, 01:08:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely.

[close]
Oh yeah, I’m all set with risers. Got this big bag of carpenters spacers in 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5mm, and can cut/drill them to fit. I’m still getting wheelbite even though I’m using 3mm risers on forged hollows with 57mm wheels. I’m 275 pounds, so I can pretty much squash any bushings by relaxing my ankles. Wheels have already started to eat into the quad-x ply of my creature Russell VX.
Have bones hard bushings, and Indy super hards. The bones have the best rebound, and they’re not cranked down in yet, but I’m hesitant cause I read that they blow out fast if you mush them too much.

Here’s one “before” pic of the Indy 1/8 shock pad getting squished, and some of the DIY shit. I just did it with a power drill on the kitchen counter.

could try the hardest indy aftermarkets that are 96a i think? but they are also barrel instead of cone shape like bones so you might have less issue with the bite

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #487 on: October 08, 2022, 03:17:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My madness has gone from different truck brands to bouncing around on different types of indy's. Is this an improvement? Parts of me still want some thunder/venture snap in my life, but I just keep reminding myself that the sacrifices in turn/grind are not worth it. that seems to be working.

But now I'm between 144s and 149s, cant figure out what weight/height i want. and I cant decide between standard or hard black bushings, which is something i thought i figured out YEARS ago. I just bought a set of 149 standards thinking i would like the heft because the 144 ti's were kinda unwieldy in the air, but i was wrong, way too heavy. So now im back on 149 ti's with 1/16th risers to make them roughly the height of standards. Was swapping between 54 and 56mm classics too which is affecting the height/popfeel. AHHHHHH! please make this stop lol
[close]

My favorite Indy's were Ti hangers on cast plates. Lighter than hollows and they don't sound different cuz the axle isn't hollow.
[close]

Okay, this is interesting AF. So if I for some reason wanted the same setup. I’d have to get a set of Hollow Standards and the Forged TI, and then swap the plates and effectively make a set of Forged Hollows and a set of TI Standards?
Not gonna lie, it’s tempting, as I’d like very much to be free of using a riser with 56mm wheels, and the set of Forged Hollows could be set up for a cruiser, where I’m not so nit picky, cause I’ll have to use risers anyway.
[close]

[close]
Yeah, those are the ones I mentioned, in Europe they’re mostly listed as “Hollow Standard”, with hollow kingpin and axel, and cast base, but to get the TI Hangers I’ll have to get a set of Forged TI as well. I don’t feel like you’re supporting my madness at all. 1,5mm higher truck with lower weight than the forged hollows is really appealing.
[close]

its for your own good

Thanks man, I think that I feel your sincerity, and I appreciate it.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely.

[close]

[close]

could try the hardest indy aftermarkets that are 96a i think? but they are also barrel instead of cone shape like bones so you might have less issue with the bite
Check my second picture, it’s them damn 96a yellow super hard Indy aftermarket bushings. They’re ever more squirrely than the Bones. Ideally I’d get 100a, or just learn to love “loose” trucks.

Ya dude you're in a fucking parallel universe of madness that most of us can't really fathom and we're just trying to pull you back to standard galaxy Earth.

Honestly at your weight I would stick with hollow axles. They are stronger as the inside is hardened as well. Ti axles are not strong, I'm 163lbs and have bent an Indy ti axle and I absolutely do not get gnar. I'd get the yellow bushings if I were you as well the 100A ones and I would recommend maybe some more standard sized wheels for less wheelbite. Otherwise you're going to end up with a 55mm truck with 5mm of risers and shit will be all fucked. You will pop and by the time your tail hits the ground a normal board would have already completed the trick.

Thanks man, coming back down to earth.
I can’t blame you for not reading through all my shit, but I already have the Indy yellows, check the second picture.
Good info about the TI vs. Hollow hangers. I didn’t know they weren’t as strong.
Promise I won’t keep escalating my truck height. Forged hollows should be 53,5mm + 3mm riser, should take me to 56,5 for 57mm wheels. I could go up just one more millimetre.
I only have the 57mm F4 radials, as of right now but I’ve been eyeing some 55-56mm 95a for the indoor wood park.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely.

[close]

[close]

Just out of curiosity, are you getting tossed from wheel bite? Or just seeing rub marks?

Yeah I got tossed 3 times in 45 minutes with the 1/8” rubber pad and yellow Indy aftermarket bushings.
With the DIY riser and Bones Hards I only got sent to the floor once because of wheelbite on a backside kick turn. Toe side rear wheel, if it matters, is the worst one.

Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely.

I think you’re right, better stick with the truck, and make it work. Cast plates can only be heavier than nylon risers. And shelling out for TI and then have them bend, would suck real bad.

Thanks everyone, I think I’m coming back down.
Still could use a recommendation for 100a bushings that fit.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #488 on: October 08, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »
@Creachteach pretty sure someone said this already, but change out your conical bushings for barrels(try barrels top and bottom) that will severely limit your turn since barrels suck at diving into turns.
Cheapest easiest way. Even if you bought 2 sets to get 4 barrels you’d be out around $10 instead of $50+ for new trucks.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #489 on: October 09, 2022, 12:36:50 AM »
@Creachteach pretty sure someone said this already, but change out your conical bushings for barrels(try barrels top and bottom) that will severely limit your turn since barrels suck at diving into turns.
Cheapest easiest way. Even if you bought 2 sets to get 4 barrels you’d be out around $10 instead of $50+ for new trucks.

This is great advice, I’ll try with barrel tops, as I still have the original ones that came with my trucks, that I can cut down if necessary  :)
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

IpathCats

« Reply #490 on: October 09, 2022, 06:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had just bought these standards and I had ti 149s already. Would rather use what I've got if I can. I've had two sessions on the cast plates and ti hangers now on a 14.5 wb (was on 14.4). Everything feels great. 1/16th risers felt/sounded like shit on the full ti's. Idk how I rode risers for so long. I'll never run them on a non cruiser board again.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #491 on: October 09, 2022, 07:49:59 AM »
The Real wood ones don't sound wack.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #492 on: October 09, 2022, 10:13:44 PM »
Can't sleep and just bought venture 5.6 v-lights for no reason, other than it more or less completes my truck collection in terms of wheelbase.

Ace-Royal-Thunder-Polster-Venture, makes me feel like I have the tools to ride any deck I want now.

Never had ventures before, might hate them, possibly leading to free trucks for some kid.
Slight madness, but I'm strict about not changing my setup once it is built and I'm gonna ride these trucks for one decks full life at least. Still have one 14" wb chocolate twin tail that feels way too light with any other trucks, so this should work out fine.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #493 on: October 10, 2022, 01:19:02 AM »
Can't sleep and just bought venture 5.6 v-lights for no reason, other than it more or less completes my truck collection in terms of wheelbase.

Ace-Royal-Thunder-Polster-Venture, makes me feel like I have the tools to ride any deck I want now.

Never had ventures before, might hate them, possibly leading to free trucks for some kid.
Slight madness, but I'm strict about not changing my setup once it is built and I'm gonna ride these trucks for one decks full life at least. Still have one 14" wb chocolate twin tail that feels way too light with any other trucks, so this should work out fine.

Forged plates? Ignore what anyone else says about Ventures and just try them yourself. I have 3 sets of the v-hollows. They turn great, are stable, light, and are just generally a wonderful medium height truck. The only thing I occasionally change is swapping in 92a indy blue conicals but mostly I run them stock and love them.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #494 on: October 10, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »
That wheelbase is short so the ventures should work fine……maybe a bit hefty in the nose but I think it would set up well.  I believe in throwing in bones or at minimum consider a flat washer to get those trucks turning. 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #495 on: October 10, 2022, 03:45:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Forged  plates? Ignore what anyone else says about Ventures and just try them yourself.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: October 10, 2022, 06:00:04 PM »
Yeah forged plates, I wanted the maximum possible wheelbase extension.
I've been wondering why the upper end of this truck wheelbase spectrum is rather lonely.

Venture reigning all alone, while there's krux, ace, film, mini logo, .. ? at the bottom and many in between. But above let's say +3.2 there's only thunder (, Polster,) and venture right?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #497 on: October 10, 2022, 10:11:09 PM »
My Thunder Teams are same extension as Indy forged hollow. I sorta view it as +3" and below and then all else above 3 as a rough grouping.

I honestly think "effective wheelbase" doesn't matter. I've enjoyed 14.5 on Thunder way more than Indy standards on the same shape. I actually find it works better for me for many tricks where one would presume a shorter effective WB would be better.

IpathCats

« Reply #498 on: October 11, 2022, 06:12:47 AM »

Well that's obviously because you're AWAKE now.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #499 on: October 11, 2022, 08:02:53 AM »
Me too, certified by sticker

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #500 on: October 11, 2022, 01:27:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

LMAO
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: October 11, 2022, 02:25:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Made me laugh, thanks.

Anything special about breaking in ventures? Leave everything stock? Immediate switch to flat top and bottom washer? Pretty hyped for this experiment now, gonna have them at the end of the week. I don't feel ready to post in the venture thread yet, I might never be.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #502 on: October 11, 2022, 02:55:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Made me laugh, thanks.

Anything special about breaking in ventures? Leave everything stock? Immediate switch to flat top and bottom washer? Pretty hyped for this experiment now, gonna have them at the end of the week. I don't feel ready to post in the venture thread yet, I might never be.

honestly, leave it stock (not tightness, tweak to your liking) at least for a little to see what it's like by default and then tweak from there

LebowskisRug

« Reply #503 on: October 11, 2022, 03:58:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Made me laugh, thanks.

[close]

honestly, leave it stock (not tightness, tweak to your liking) at least for a little to see what it's like by default and then tweak from there

This is good advice for any kind of new truck unless you ride shit insanely tight or loose. If you Franken off the bat then you really never have a home base around how the truck was designed. You don't know if you are fixing or creating problems or if there are even any problems.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #504 on: October 19, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »
I think my new AF1 55 Hollows just cured my truck madness. I liked the Indy Titaniums that I was skating, but I just found my board more fun to ride around on with Aces. The weight just made tricks more difficult for me as a mediocre skater…
The AF1 Hollows are the perfect combination between the awesome Ace turning while still giving my old legs street capabilities.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #505 on: October 19, 2022, 04:16:48 PM »
Ben Degros has some cajones going on YouTube and documenting his madness. Recently claiming he could feel his trucks getting lower as he tightened his kingpin. I tested this with thunders and old bushings and the amount the truck actually moves is tenths of a MM unless the bushing blows. Then saying "ya they're not as durable but I also tried to obliterate them".

Just ride what ur feeling Ben, no need to justify to us who have the bug- we get it. It never leaves.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #506 on: October 19, 2022, 05:00:36 PM »
Ben Degros has some cajones going on YouTube and documenting his madness. Recently claiming he could feel his trucks getting lower as he tightened his kingpin. I tested this with thunders and old bushings and the amount the truck actually moves is tenths of a MM unless the bushing blows. Then saying "ya they're not as durable but I also tried to obliterate them".

Just ride what ur feeling Ben, no need to justify to us who have the bug- we get it. It never leaves.

That made me laugh when I watched the video. Also the 100a bushings in the back and 90a in the front seems crazy. Are the 100a thunders really not that hard? Bushings harder than wheels is just wrong in my head

LebowskisRug

« Reply #507 on: October 19, 2022, 05:10:23 PM »
They're fucking rocks. Even the 94 are pretty stiff. It's like going from Indy orange to yellow. I don't get how much he's cranking. Dudes like Jake Hayes and Chris Cole crank hard bushings and seem to not end up in weird situations.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #508 on: October 19, 2022, 06:22:06 PM »
They're fucking rocks. Even the 94 are pretty stiff. It's like going from Indy orange to yellow. I don't get how much he's cranking. Dudes like Jake Hayes and Chris Cole crank hard bushings and seem to not end up in weird situations.

They are also thicc / tall bois, a medium hardness bushing would mush out and give them too much wheelbite.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #509 on: October 19, 2022, 07:04:57 PM »
No they're not. I'm 6 foot 3 and 165 and skate mediums I've skated with Chris Cole and he is decently shorter than me and not thicc. He likes the consistency of cranked trucks. I haven't met Jake but maybe it's the same.