Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90817 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #510 on: October 19, 2022, 09:12:30 PM »
Ugh. My madness has returned. I had it quelled for quite awhile, but I knew it was only a matter of time. Skated vert ramp a few weeks ago for the first time in awhile. It made me want to start skating bigger transition again, but felt like my 8.25/144s was way too small for that. Set up an 8.75/159s...but then found there were a few street things I loved on the 8.75 that suddenly seemed harder on the 8.25 (e.g. Smith grinds). The madness came rushing back in, and now I have no idea what kind of skateboard I like any more.

Moral: Stay away from vert ramps, as they only bring on existential despair, gear alienation, and more inane "madness" Slap posts.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #511 on: October 19, 2022, 10:08:22 PM »
What id do is just always bring 2 boards and when you wanna do smiths just tell ur friends you have to run to your car and get your smith board and then do one and then run back to get ur regular one.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #512 on: October 19, 2022, 11:42:03 PM »
Ugh. My madness has returned. I had it quelled for quite awhile, but I knew it was only a matter of time. Skated vert ramp a few weeks ago for the first time in awhile. It made me want to start skating bigger transition again, but felt like my 8.25/144s was way too small for that. Set up an 8.75/159s...but then found there were a few street things I loved on the 8.75 that suddenly seemed harder on the 8.25 (e.g. Smith grinds). The madness came rushing back in, and now I have no idea what kind of skateboard I like any more.

Moral: Stay away from vert ramps, as they only bring on existential despair, gear alienation, and more inane "madness" Slap posts.

Or: middle ground 8.5 setup?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Schinken

• Rep: 72
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2022, 01:07:12 AM »

Almost the same situation for me. I've been riding 8.25 for the last 5 months. Recently I've skated a mini vert ramp and rode my 8.6 again. Afterwards madness creeped in and I tried several different setups. From venture to ace to Indy to thunder then back to venture... It got to the point that I have to get used to a different setup almost every session and nothing felt right.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I disassembled every setup(except rain/cruiser setup), grabbed myself a medium steep 8.38 with 14.5wb and put some ventures with 56 f4 radial fulls on it. I can see it's slightly hot rodding but I don't want to measure if it's 5.8 or 6.1

I hope I'm done with madness

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #514 on: October 20, 2022, 01:25:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Almost the same situation for me. I've been riding 8.25 for the last 5 months. Recently I've skated a mini vert ramp and rode my 8.6 again. Afterwards madness creeped in and I tried several different setups. From venture to ace to Indy to thunder then back to venture... It got to the point that I have to get used to a different setup almost every session and nothing felt right.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I disassembled every setup(except rain/cruiser setup), grabbed myself a medium steep 8.38 with 14.5wb and put some ventures with 56 f4 radial fulls on it. I can see it's slightly hot rodding but I don't want to measure if it's 5.8 or 6.1

Sadly, I don't think most of us are ever truly "done."

...we just go through periods of remission...
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #515 on: October 20, 2022, 02:40:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sadly, I don't think most of us are ever truly "done."

...we just go through periods of remission...

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2022, 06:31:57 AM »
Truck madness is creeping back a little….
Im on Thunder 148 team hollows at the moment but i’m thinking of sizing up to 149 standards for a bit more grind space. Mainly skate 8.25/ 8.375 with the occasional 8.5 thrown in if im feeling saucy. Always 14.25 wb but would maybe like to increase this slightly to accomodate long legs.
Is there much difference in weight between those two trucks feeling wise? Aware its only like 30 grams or something but also aware it can feel more on a lever, especially with the increase in wb of Thunders

LebowskisRug

« Reply #517 on: October 20, 2022, 06:42:10 AM »
Funny you bring that up. I just did the same Thunder swap. I ride 8.38 mostly with the DLX 8.25 (measures 8.38) thrown in. I figured why not be on 149? More grind space is real. I switched from worn down 54 Classic Fulls (34 wide, 24 contact patch) to 52 Classics (31 wide, 17 contact patch) and there is about 1/4" more per side.

Unfortunately I did lose some flip trick consistency recently and now I'm blaming the truck switch. Objectively speaking I noticed zero increase in stability/wheelbite/turning. I think crooks pinch a little easier.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #518 on: October 20, 2022, 06:45:51 AM »
My recent madness was I stupidly impulse bought a Girl 8.375x14.4 deck I had been wanting to try. Nearly the same measurements I ride. Rode it the other day and hated it. Couldn't figure out why it felt so massive and long.

I own contour gauges (thinks Schmidt uses on the 9 club) to make symmetrical woodworking projects. Put one on each kick and measured distance between to measure the total flat. 21.875in. Then I did that on my 8.38/14.5 DLX and 8.38 BBS go to. The former was 20.8 and latter 20.75.

So each kick has .5" more flat before the kick then a steep kick. Flat concave means no real pocket.

Setup an Alltimers 8.38 I got on sale and just not willing to put up with the learning curve yet.

IpathCats

« Reply #519 on: October 20, 2022, 06:49:06 AM »
Truck madness is creeping back a little….
Im on Thunder 148 team hollows at the moment but i’m thinking of sizing up to 149 standards for a bit more grind space. Mainly skate 8.25/ 8.375 with the occasional 8.5 thrown in if im feeling saucy. Always 14.25 wb but would maybe like to increase this slightly to accomodate long legs.
Is there much difference in weight between those two trucks feeling wise? Aware its only like 30 grams or something but also aware it can feel more on a lever, especially with the increase in wb of Thunders

If you increase your WB, truck width, and truck weight at the same time and you have enough madness to be posting in this thread, you're def gonna notice it. Why not get 149 team hollows? Or 149 hollow lights with 1/16" risers? Lot's of people ride 8.25 with 149s, but personally i dont like it, I want at least 8.375/8.38

As a tall skater, I deff recommend a longer wb though. I'm 6' 4" and never skating under 14.5 again, I have one last dlx twin with a 14.4 wb left that might be the exception if i dont sell/trade it. I rode someones AH BA peacock deck with the 15" wb and it felt SO GOOD, until i tried to 360 flip it or anything that flipped and spun at the same time.

Ride it to dust

« Reply #520 on: October 20, 2022, 07:03:01 AM »
Thanks @Lebowskisrug & @Ipathcats, lots of food for thought to mull over. No doubt i will be back here soon 😂

IpathCats

« Reply #521 on: October 20, 2022, 07:17:01 AM »
Thanks @LebowskisRug & @IpathCats, lots of food for thought to mull over. No doubt i will be back here soon 😂

We are here for you in the madness support thread. We know your pain, I'm currently in a remission stage, feeling completely content with my setup, we'll see how long that lasts.

I would be curious to try thunders on a 14.5 wb, but i just had a bout with thunders and hated the wheelbite/bushings/grind (vs indys) and I never quite conquered adjusting my nose/tailslide technique to compensate for the short baseplate. So i really dont think I'll be going down that road.

After years of bushing madness in all trucks, I'm never riding anything other than stock bushings or something harder/softer from the same brand as the truck. Which almost completely rules thunders out, because their bushings are so bad (blow out fast AF). Mixing duros/brands, sanding bushings, and mixing washers was like peak madness for me, I was all fucked up. not doing that again.

Ride it to dust

« Reply #522 on: October 20, 2022, 07:26:02 AM »
Dont blame you, sounds like a trip!
Ive been very fortunate with bushings, had the same stock whites that came in the 148’s from new and although each side is stripped from the top washer they feel great

IpathCats

« Reply #523 on: October 20, 2022, 07:39:53 AM »
Dont blame you, sounds like a trip!
Ive been very fortunate with bushings, had the same stock whites that came in the 148’s from new and although each side is stripped from the top washer they feel great

When i was on those thunders i mentioned previously the bushings started going almost immediately  but i rode them for a few weeks until they really blew out. I got thunder replacements and literally cracked the rear bottom bushing completely through from top to bottom on the first session. Junk.

Ride it to dust

« Reply #524 on: October 20, 2022, 07:58:57 AM »
Im 6ft but pretty skinny and light , (like 10 1/2 stone) so dont know if that plays any part in it. Ride them..medium i’d say. I mean, i can turn relatively easily without having to tic tac. It has been on my mind what i’d do if they blow before the hangers axle. Dont wanna enter the vortex of shaving/sanding down cones

LebowskisRug

« Reply #525 on: October 20, 2022, 08:43:35 AM »
Ya I'm 6 foot 3, 163lb, and ride Thunder stock bushings flush. I have ridden Thunder most of my life and never blown out a bottom bushing. I've cracked a couple tops from tons of slappy pinch variations but DLX just sends replacements. Thunders are the best stock bushings for me. The new Indy stocks are noticeably softer and too soft for me. Venture tops don't last unless I put in a flat top.

Thunder on 14.5 feels just as nimble and easy to flip as Indy standard on the same. I love nose manuals on that setup they're super easy and stable. Any 14.5 I have to skate faster but the effective WB arguments don't play out for me.

IpathCats

« Reply #526 on: October 20, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
Im 6ft but pretty skinny and light , (like 10 1/2 stone) so dont know if that plays any part in it. Ride them..medium i’d say. I mean, i can turn relatively easily without having to tic tac. It has been on my mind what i’d do if they blow before the hangers axle. Dont wanna enter the vortex of shaving/sanding down cones

Just replace them with thunder aftermarkets, if you can get your kingpin nut on/off

Ride it to dust

« Reply #527 on: October 20, 2022, 09:58:55 AM »
Might have to look into getting a tool with a re-threader, will try the aftermarkets if mine crap out soon. Thanks dudes

IpathCats

« Reply #528 on: October 20, 2022, 10:16:55 AM »
Might have to look into getting a tool with a re-threader, will try the aftermarkets if mine crap out soon. Thanks dudes

I've never seen a skate tool with a kingpin sized re threader. I have considered getting a kingpin sized rethreader for a while now.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 472
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #529 on: October 20, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've never seen a skate tool with a kingpin sized re threader. I have considered getting a kingpin sized rethreader for a while now.

Ace has a kingpin rethreader nut that comes on a carabiner with an axle rethreader nut as well. It will fit inside any skate tool.

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/ace-trucks-mfg.-re-threader-dies-axle--kingpin-multi-purpose-skate-tool

Ride it to dust

« Reply #530 on: October 20, 2022, 10:30:26 AM »
Thats a good point, would have to be a die maybe or like the ace rethread kingpin nuts maybe

Ride it to dust

« Reply #531 on: October 20, 2022, 10:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ace has a kingpin rethreader nut that comes on a carabiner with an axle rethreader nut as well. It will fit inside any skate tool.

https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/ace-trucks-mfg.-re-threader-dies-axle--kingpin-multi-purpose-skate-tool

Beat me to it 😂

IpathCats

« Reply #532 on: October 20, 2022, 10:47:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nice! haven't seen this.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #533 on: October 20, 2022, 11:04:45 AM »
I think I need to sell my other trucks and just commit to Independent.

Got a set of 5.6 V-Hollows, 5.2 Hi, and 5.5 Maglites (w/ Mag baseplates) sitting around.

Keep my Ti 144 & 149. Have hollow and mid 149s too for mellow or steep boards.

I'm too old and shit at skating to try and mess with my setup. Takes too long to get used to other stuff and not worth the dicking around when I've got a finite amount of time to skate.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #534 on: October 20, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice! haven't seen this.

A re-threading nut seems kinda bad? If you have a tool thats got a deeper "pipe", it will just be really annoying, vs a skate tool with re-threader

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 472
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #535 on: October 20, 2022, 11:18:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice! haven't seen this.
[close]

A re-threading nut seems kinda bad? If you have a tool thats got a deeper "pipe", it will just be really annoying, vs a skate tool with re-threader

Twist the rethreader nut on by hand and use the tool to crank it down then gently reverse and back it off.

IpathCats

« Reply #536 on: October 20, 2022, 11:18:42 AM »
I think I need to sell my other trucks and just commit to Independent.

Got a set of 5.6 V-Hollows, 5.2 Hi, and 5.5 Maglites (w/ Mag baseplates) sitting around.

Keep my Ti 144 & 149. Have hollow and mid 149s too for mellow or steep boards.

I'm too old and shit at skating to try and mess with my setup. Takes too long to get used to other stuff and not worth the dicking around when I've got a finite amount of time to skate.

Deff a huge downside of madness. godspeed brother. I circled back to indy myself after like 2-3 years of trying a bunch of shit. Ti hangers, cast plates <3

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #537 on: October 20, 2022, 11:23:21 AM »
Is it reasonable to buy some supercheap wheels in order to keep riding trucks that are slightly bent? Don't wanna cone good expensive wheels.

Currently super happy with the ventures I bought and will keep riding them until the deck is done. But I still have some other decks around that I wouldn't skate with these, but preferably with my all time favorite thunder titaniums, which are bent.

There's a crazy sale at blue-tomato.com, a whack zumiez like shop. More than 50% off on SML, primitive, HAZE and Bronx wheels.
Are any of them worth it? It's really stupid cheap. I want some really hard wheels that slide

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #538 on: October 20, 2022, 12:03:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Or: middle ground 8.5 setup?

Oh, that has absolutely been happening/in the mix. I just touched upon what started my madness again, not the extent of this current "episode." :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #539 on: October 20, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
Is it reasonable to buy some supercheap wheels in order to keep riding trucks that are slightly bent? Don't wanna cone good expensive wheels.

Currently super happy with the ventures I bought and will keep riding them until the deck is done. But I still have some other decks around that I wouldn't skate with these, but preferably with my all time favorite thunder titaniums, which are bent.

There's a crazy sale at blue-tomato.com, a whack zumiez like shop. More than 50% off on SML, primitive, HAZE and Bronx wheels.
Are any of them worth it? It's really stupid cheap. I want some really hard wheels that slide

Just keep an eye on the coning and shape of the wheels and rotate as needed, same as any other board, only those ones might cone a bit more quickly on the one side, compared to on other trucks with straight axles.

As long as you do that, any wheel will still last the same amount of time, as you are wearing out the inside edges more than the outside if they are really bent but still skateable.

Whatever wheels you currently have might be better than buying second rate cheap wheels that may not perform as expected or get flatspots before you are done with them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.