Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90744 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #540 on: October 20, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Is it reasonable to buy some supercheap wheels in order to keep riding trucks that are slightly bent? Don't wanna cone good expensive wheels.

Currently super happy with the ventures I bought and will keep riding them until the deck is done. But I still have some other decks around that I wouldn't skate with these, but preferably with my all time favorite thunder titaniums, which are bent.

There's a crazy sale at blue-tomato.com, a whack zumiez like shop. More than 50% off on SML, primitive, HAZE and Bronx wheels.
Are any of them worth it? It's really stupid cheap. I want some really hard wheels that slide
[close]

Just keep an eye on the coning and shape of the wheels and rotate as needed, same as any other board, only those ones might cone a bit more quickly on the one side, compared to on other trucks with straight axles.

As long as you do that, any wheel will still last the same amount of time, as you are wearing out the inside edges more than the outside if they are really bent but still skateable.

Whatever wheels you currently have might be better than buying second rate cheap wheels that may not perform as expected or get flatspots before you are done with them.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for saving me from wheel madness...for now.
I think in order to not get mad about it, I'd have to rotate the wheels at fixed points in time. Like after every 10th session or 10h on the board or something, so they stay more or less the same all the time.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: October 20, 2022, 08:18:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it reasonable to buy some supercheap wheels in order to keep riding trucks that are slightly bent? Don't wanna cone good expensive wheels.

Currently super happy with the ventures I bought and will keep riding them until the deck is done. But I still have some other decks around that I wouldn't skate with these, but preferably with my all time favorite thunder titaniums, which are bent.

There's a crazy sale at blue-tomato.com, a whack zumiez like shop. More than 50% off on SML, primitive, HAZE and Bronx wheels.
Are any of them worth it? It's really stupid cheap. I want some really hard wheels that slide
[close]

Just keep an eye on the coning and shape of the wheels and rotate as needed, same as any other board, only those ones might cone a bit more quickly on the one side, compared to on other trucks with straight axles.

As long as you do that, any wheel will still last the same amount of time, as you are wearing out the inside edges more than the outside if they are really bent but still skateable.

Whatever wheels you currently have might be better than buying second rate cheap wheels that may not perform as expected or get flatspots before you are done with them.
[close]

Sounds good to me. Thanks for saving me from wheel madness...for now.
I think in order to not get mad about it, I'd have to rotate the wheels at fixed points in time. Like after every 10th session or 10h on the board or something, so they stay more or less the same all the time.

I got used to just looking at my board (in detail) how ever often when I had a minute, but only would rotate wheels when I saw coning happening.

If you have calipers, you can always use them to check the sizes of the wheels, but I know from past experience dealing with bent axles, those boards people have were very noticeable when they didn't rotate their wheels at all.

Calipers also help with madness, cheap to buy and you can check the current size of any wheel at any given time.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #542 on: October 20, 2022, 09:10:30 PM »
Calipers also help with madness, cheap to buy and you can check the current size of any wheel at any given time.

This is the madness thread...should have known I wasn't the only one.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #543 on: October 21, 2022, 02:28:22 PM »
I like to have one wheel with the graphic out.

IpathCats

« Reply #544 on: October 21, 2022, 07:33:52 PM »

I back it, kinda cool. At least until the graphics wear off

DERBY

• Rep: 289
« Reply #545 on: October 21, 2022, 07:38:38 PM »
truck madness with the af1s. pop feels weak even with risers. skating a 14.25 wb board. anyone skate the af1s on polar p2?

been looking at the new limosine drop considering one of the 8.5s

LebowskisRug

« Reply #546 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:21 PM »
why not just go back to trucks you like instead of forcing these?

DERBY

« Reply #547 on: October 21, 2022, 07:55:56 PM »

threw on a set of indys and they just don’t feel right 

manysnakes

« Reply #548 on: October 21, 2022, 08:04:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Then it’s probably not the trucks fault.

DERBY

« Reply #549 on: October 21, 2022, 08:08:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Then it’s probably not the trucks fault.

yous right

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #550 on: October 21, 2022, 09:51:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I liked when Spitfire did the 3 wheels in 1 color and 1 wheel in a different color (3 grey + 1 orange), that would be the only circumstance colored wheels get a pass
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #551 on: October 21, 2022, 10:42:18 PM »
truck madness with the af1s. pop feels weak even with risers. skating a 14.25 wb board. anyone skate the af1s on polar p2?

I tried 55 AF1s on the P2. Hated it. Ghost popping like crazy. Same with 44 Classics. Changed to mag plates on the classics and it became manageable. Why, I have no idea. Wb isn’t long, tail isn’t short or steep but so it went. I love Aces and only skate them these days but some decks just don’t work with them for some reason.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #552 on: October 22, 2022, 07:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I tried 55 AF1s on the P2. Hated it. Ghost popping like crazy. Same with 44 Classics. Changed to mag plates on the classics and it became manageable. Why, I have no idea. Wb isn’t long, tail isn’t short or steep but so it went. I love Aces and only skate them these days but some decks just don’t work with them for some reason.

I stopped skating ace, for now. When I can no longer pop, I’ll go back to ace. I hope to roll around and skate for transportation in my 50s-60s.
I tried a lot of different setups with the classics, and the only one that had good pop for me was a 14”wb (g027 I think) 44 classics, and 56 conical fulls. I don’t prefer to be that high up, but if I went to riding big wheels ace would work.
Af1s I didn’t spend a lot of time on, turn was good for sure, but again with the pop: I’d rather skate thunders or ventures, the pop angles/leverage/feel/whatever are just so much better for me with those.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #553 on: October 22, 2022, 11:37:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I stopped skating ace, for now. When I can no longer pop, I’ll go back to ace. I hope to roll around and skate for transportation in my 50s-60s.
I tried a lot of different setups with the classics, and the only one that had good pop for me was a 14”wb (g027 I think) 44 classics, and 56 conical fulls. I don’t prefer to be that high up, but if I went to riding big wheels ace would work.
Af1s I didn’t spend a lot of time on, turn was good for sure, but again with the pop: I’d rather skate thunders or ventures, the pop angles/leverage/feel/whatever are just so much better for me with those.

Venture pop sure is magical. I’d like to have that on Aces. I can’t see why it wouldn’t be possible with the right kind of a board. Anyway, I’m mostly running 1/8” risers and bigger wheels on Aces these days to get a heftier pop. I can’t deal with the dainty pop at all. Heftier pop requires more strength and stamina from my legs but it sure is nice when it snaps real good.

manysnakes

« Reply #554 on: November 01, 2022, 06:41:21 AM »
Black Friday is coming, nerds. Stay strong!

IpathCats

« Reply #555 on: November 01, 2022, 07:02:49 AM »

Use Black friday for good, not evil. Use it as a tool to help you stick to your current setup by buying extras of what you know you like. dont use it as an opportunity to change your setup but rather lock yourself into something by having more of it. I'm gonna get a few sets of 56mm 99a f4 classics, tried 54mm 101s, they had their merits, but im done with those, going back to what i know.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 07:28:08 AM by IpathCats »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #556 on: November 01, 2022, 07:27:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Use Black friday for good, not evil. Use it as a tool to help you stick to your current setup by buying extras of what you know you like. dont use it as an opportunity to change your setup but rather lock yourself into something by having more of it. I'm gonna get a few sets of 56mm 99a f4 classics (tried 54mm 101s, they ahd their merits, but im done with those, going back to what i know.

this will be my daily mantra through the holiday season

IpathCats

« Reply #557 on: November 01, 2022, 07:39:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Use Black friday for good, not evil. Use it as a tool to help you stick to your current setup by buying extras of what you know you like. dont use it as an opportunity to change your setup but rather lock yourself into something by having more of it. I'm gonna get a few sets of 56mm 99a f4 classics (tried 54mm 101s, they ahd their merits, but im done with those, going back to what i know.
[close]

Godspeed soldier.

As someone who is in a remission stage of madness currently I'd like to share some things that help me. If you've already tried something and swapped off it, remember why. Don't think about the good attributes, just the bad. I still have moments where i want my indys to have a thunder pop feel/manual point, but i just remind myself that the sacrifices in grind/wheelbite and differences in turn just do not suit me or my wheel preferences. Which is another point, if you have a part of your setup that you KNOW is right, dont change it, and use that part to help determine your other components. Eventually that will lead to a setup that justifies itself by preserving a known good and making the rest work around that KNOWN good. Another thing that helps is stretching/warmups/consistency. If you stretch and warm up a bit before skating and make sure to skate regularly it will definitely result in having less of that "my board feels wrong/foreign to me" feeling. Try to understand when you and your legs are/are not warmed up, and dont blame your board when you actually shouldve just stretched more and eased into the session slower.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #558 on: November 01, 2022, 09:30:03 AM »
why not just go back to...trucks...you like instead of forcing these?

Deep knowledge here. That said, if it was just that easy, none of us would have the afflictions.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

IpathCats

« Reply #559 on: November 01, 2022, 11:23:56 AM »
Expand Quote
why not just go back to...trucks...you like instead of forcing these?
[close]

Deep knowledge here. That said, if it was just that easy, none of us would have the afflictions.

You can't be cured of something you never had, so we're technically all on the road to recovery?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #560 on: November 01, 2022, 12:03:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Godspeed soldier.

As someone who is in a remission stage of madness currently I'd like to share some things that help me. If you've already tried something and swapped off it, remember why. Don't think about the good attributes, just the bad. I still have moments where i want my indys to have a thunder pop feel/manual point, but i just remind myself that the sacrifices in grind/wheelbite and differences in turn just do not suit me or my wheel preferences. Which is another point, if you have a part of your setup that you KNOW is right, dont change it, and use that part to help determine your other components. Eventually that will lead to a setup that justifies itself by preserving a known good and making the rest work around that KNOWN good. Another thing that helps is stretching/warmups/consistency. If you stretch and warm up a bit before skating and make sure to skate regularly it will definitely result in having less of that "my board feels wrong/foreign to me" feeling. Try to understand when you and your legs are/are not warmed up, and dont blame your board when you actually shouldve just stretched more and eased into the session slower.

Good idea. I personally find that Thunders grind close enough to Indy's that it doesn't matter and I can hold pinched grinds further so it's a wash. Slides are different, but work. Wheelbite I have less of, but when I do I can't ride it out. I can see wanting bigger wheels somewhat limiting although seeing Jake Anderson on 54-56s with risers seems to work.

For me what I miss about Indys is the carve out of sketchy landings (the little wobble you get) and not stepping off, and the manual point. It is lighter, but for me way less sketchy for nose manuals. I've never actually hit my nose and gone overboard on a nose manual on Indys. But that's on me.

IpathCats

« Reply #561 on: November 01, 2022, 12:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Godspeed soldier.

[close]

Good idea. I personally find that Thunders grind close enough to Indy's that it doesn't matter and I can hold pinched grinds further so it's a wash. Slides are different, but work. Wheelbite I have less of, but when I do I can't ride it out. I can see wanting bigger wheels somewhat limiting although seeing Jake Anderson on 54-56s with risers seems to work.

For me what I miss about Indys is the carve out of sketchy landings (the little wobble you get) and not stepping off, and the manual point. It is lighter, but for me way less sketchy for nose manuals. I've never actually hit my nose and gone overboard on a nose manual on Indys. But that's on me.

Interesting, def a lighter manny feeling on indys, but that doesnt translate to better mannys for me. I seem to do better at them on thunders/ventures, the weight of the manny point makes me feel like i kinda lock into them or something. Idk, its def not worth all the other tradeoffs for me though, I'm not a huge manny guy. I have been working on my fakie mannys lately and have noticed this.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #562 on: November 01, 2022, 12:25:55 PM »
I love me a nice warm up nose manual. I ride 52-53 so pushing the upper end of Thunder Standards.

Lately I've debated the "stick to what you're out" with "try something similar out and learn it, be patient, you might find something new you might like more".

IpathCats

« Reply #563 on: November 01, 2022, 12:41:04 PM »
I love me a nice warm up nose manual. I ride 52-53 so pushing the upper end of Thunder Standards.

Lately I've debated the "stick to what you're out" with "try something similar out and learn it, be patient, you might find something new you might like more".

Yea, this is madness in a sentence.

Can also be caused by being to critical of your own setup, but its just as equally caused by aimless curiosity.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #564 on: November 01, 2022, 01:17:15 PM »
I ride 52-53 so pushing the upper end of Thunder Standards.

That sounds crazy unless you're talking about 147s. I recently rode 56mm radials on 148 standards. Even loosened the kingpin nut a bit from stock and had no wheelbite problems at all. Medium steep concave though.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #565 on: November 01, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »
I think wheelbite is situational based on how you skate….

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
« Reply #566 on: November 01, 2022, 05:17:31 PM »
Think my madness is over. I keep buying decks for fun, though. Own two pair of Indy’s, some Aces, a pair of Thunders, and my cruiser has Krux. After using them all I prefer the Indy’s. Just like how they turn.

The Aces are great, but not matter how much I tighten them they still feel loose. I’m 230 lbs, so maybe I’m too big for them? Either way, I don’t have time to keep changing my trucks.

There’s this saying about a poor craftsman blaming their tools. Madness is pointless because ultimately YOU are what matters.

I use to watch Ben Degros on YouTube and I found it funny. He’d complain about his setups and still basically land his tricks fine after adjusting. To me, Madness is just OCD.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #567 on: November 01, 2022, 05:53:57 PM »
It’s the narrative you create based on how you feel….

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #568 on: November 01, 2022, 09:42:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I liked when Spitfire did the 3 wheels in 1 color and 1 wheel in a different color (3 grey + 1 orange), that would be the only circumstance colored wheels get a pass

I just purchased some green swirled spitfires and plan on using one of them each with three whites. only problem is, now i need to buy three sets of white wheels in the exact same shape and size... hence i am lurking this thread. insanity.

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #569 on: November 02, 2022, 09:37:49 PM »
Venture vs thunder can’t decide
Pros and cons