Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86836 times)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2022, 07:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It would be a dumb idea to get Krux as a joke, right guys?
[close]

[close]
Riding Krux is the equivalent of the clown meme

I’m so intrigued by what the grind would feel like on them.  They look so… strange

They seem like they’d be nice and rattle-y though if you rode them loose.  Despite not turning well

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2022, 09:19:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Riding Krux is the equivalent of the clown meme

[close]

I’m so intrigued by what the grind would feel like on them.  They look so… strange

They seem like they’d be nice and rattle-y though if you rode them loose.  Despite not turning well

someone told me they grind and turn just like independents and I fell out of my seat laughing

IpathCats

« Reply #632 on: November 14, 2022, 06:04:11 AM »

Buying Krux would be funny in a dumb joke kind of way. But is that really what you want for yourself, to be the butt of a dumb joke?

Lol Don't do that to yourself man.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #633 on: November 14, 2022, 06:27:06 AM »
I feel like being on Slap is unfortunately feeding my gear madness. I took a break from Slap for a few years as it all just got too much for me. I think the rumors about Ace AF1s brought me back and here I am again. I wasn’t completely cured of gear madness during my time off from Slap but I do feel that it consumed way less of my thoughts. I have tons of other things to spend money on right now and still yesterday I almost ordered 250€+ worth of gear and clothes I don’t really need. Held off thankfully.

I don’t really know what’s my point here. I enjoy the discussions here on Slap, especially in shoes & gear where I think it’s a bit more civilized than in UWTB but maybe I should visit less often and go to photos & video more or something. I dunno. I need help. I feel awful for stocking up so much gear. It’s not making me happier, it’s making me feel worse.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #634 on: November 14, 2022, 06:54:29 AM »
 Madness is going to a sesh and being happy with your trucks and setup and then watching videos and being like "wait no one rides this" and then thinking you're the one that needs to change.

IpathCats

« Reply #635 on: November 14, 2022, 06:57:12 AM »
Madness is going to a sesh and being happy with your trucks and setup and then watching videos and being like "wait no one rides this" and then thinking you're the one that needs to change.

For me its kind of the opposite. I see dudes ripping on thunders and ventures and think that will translate to me ripping on them.....

It doesn't

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #636 on: November 14, 2022, 07:36:31 AM »
I definitely have gone very ott on wanting, and assembling, to the best of my knowledge, full on tribute setups. How else do you get fury’s, tensors…had some grind kings to be like Daewon (if I’m being honest, I’ll setup a Daewon complete at some point mag lo’s etc…he’s difficult because I want some setup inspired by my favorite era of his, and that would be like round 1, dolphin graphic, orions…)
Somehow, way back when, instead of learning a trade or helping others, I decided to spend all of my disposable income on packages from ccs, and then the ‘local’ did a buy 4-5 decks get one free thing. Dripping in gear. So of course I did the only sensible thing and got a Dave Mayhew maple, krux lows, and pig wheels. I remember that Ollie’s were the best they’ve ever been, and in general I skated well on the krux, but I just didn’t like em. Something seemed wrong. Longest axles as well.
Aaaannyways

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #637 on: November 14, 2022, 01:52:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Buying Krux would be funny in a dumb joke kind of way. But is that really what you want for yourself, to be the butt of a dumb joke?

Now that Slappy Trucks have entered the chat I don’t know if I have room for Krux in my future.  Crisis averted.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #638 on: November 14, 2022, 02:24:43 PM »
Is the k5 still that bad?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #639 on: November 14, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »
Both Gifted Hater and Ben Degros reviewed sets and thought they still sucked. Better than K4, but it's like going from absolutely useless garbage to pretty fuckin bad

IpathCats

« Reply #640 on: November 15, 2022, 07:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Now that Slappy Trucks have entered the chat I don’t know if I have room for Krux in my future.  Crisis averted.

Oh god, you just can't help yourself can you? haha

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #641 on: November 15, 2022, 12:27:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh god, you just can't help yourself can you? haha

Damn I'm seeing all this after just ordering some Krux because I thought it would be funny as a dumb joke. Generally I can skate most setups so I'm not too worried.

Also Ryan Lay

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #642 on: November 15, 2022, 01:44:13 PM »
So you guys are planning to buy krux, go to the skatepark and tell people that you're riding krux? But it's like totally a joke haha. They're gonna laugh their asses off for sure.

Is this how krux is still in business?

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #643 on: November 15, 2022, 01:46:38 PM »
I'm curious, what's wrong with krux?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #644 on: November 15, 2022, 01:50:03 PM »
The turning radius is not to everyone’s liking, the hole, kooky graphics, other trucks are better.  A few people swear by them though. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #645 on: November 15, 2022, 02:00:54 PM »
Watch Ryan push and carve. You can see his board wiggle but he keeps going in the same direction. That shows you about how much Krux turn vs how much input you put into them.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #646 on: November 15, 2022, 02:04:33 PM »
Watch Ryan push and carve. You can see his board wiggle but he keeps going in the same direction. That shows you about how much Krux turn vs how much input you put into them.

I'm currently on some stage 11 159 hangers on stage 8 baseplates and it does exactly that... did i inadvertently  create a Krux? Should I now paint them in tiger print?

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #647 on: November 15, 2022, 02:13:54 PM »
I'm curious, what's wrong with krux?

I bought a pair of K4s on super blowout for around $12.  First drop into my local bowl I ate shit as I carved a wall and my body naturally went where it normally did and the board didn't turn.   I ended up skating them for about about 10 minutes, and then 10 minutes another day before I gave them away.   I could manage Ace, Indy, Thunder, Mini Logo and Royal - but had to draw the line at Krux.

Paperclip20

« Reply #648 on: November 15, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
So you guys are planning to buy krux, go to the skatepark and tell people that you're riding krux? But it's like totally a joke haha. They're gonna laugh their asses off for sure.

Definitely not, I've wanted to actually try the K5 for awhile out of curiosity but krux have been a joke in my friend group for a long time too. Plus if I don't like them I'll just donate them to a kid in need and go back to Thunders

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #649 on: November 15, 2022, 10:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Definitely not, I've wanted to actually try the K5 for awhile out of curiosity but krux have been a joke in my friend group for a long time too. Plus if I don't like them I'll just donate them to a kid in need and go back to Thunders

Putting them in the presence of children is considered a hate crime in some states
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #650 on: November 16, 2022, 02:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Putting them in the presence of children is considered a hate crime in some states

Yeah. Better to put them in the metal recycling bin. I actually sold mine (the K4s) and got actual money for them. I wonder what happened to the guy who I sold them to. Dude, if you’re around I just wanna say I’m sorry and I was out of line selling that shit to you.

Someone on here actually convinced me to get a set as “they’re very similar to Aces”! Can’t remember who that was, but fuck you!

I slammed hard bombing a hill drunk and trying to turn at an intersection. I wasn’t going very fast and the fucking trucks would not turn in the space where a big truck would have had no issues turning. By far the worst skate gear I’ve had.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #651 on: November 16, 2022, 09:36:49 AM »
Yah maybe the k5 is different I think Ben Degros did a vid and said they were ok, but the k4 I think was sort of designed in the same vein as a tensor or venture, just wide turning no give.  They remind me of rail jockey trucks, stunting trucks…when you’re being pushed into the ground off a hubba, you don’t want to wheelbite or if you’re leaning the wrong way, you still want the make. 

Some people love em, and I think they they are a good entry point truck, but yah if you’re skating aces and get one these things your reaction will be…these trucks don’t work. 

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #652 on: November 16, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
The last bastion of my madness: I constantly swap between Indy 149s and 159s. Mostly skating 9" - 9.25" eggs with big wheels. I don't even think it makes much of a difference, but I can't stop myself.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #653 on: November 16, 2022, 02:04:01 PM »
I often tell this story but back in the day the Enjoi/Tilt Mode dudes would skate our local parks. Most of them rode Thunders with an oval sticker on their trucks so it looked like they were on their sponsored spec trucks.

My madness lately has been embarrassing and distracting: shoes. I was skating Half Cabs for a long time, but had issues with the impact/heel bruising. Of all shoes they're "home base" for me since I had them for a lot of my life. I can be pretty consistent in them, especially with 360 flips and certain flip tricks).

I switched to NB cups and mostly really liked my leather 440s and my Suede Tiagos. In the Tiagos my kickflips are nicer and more boned out, most other tricks are the same, but since the shoe gives less my scoop tricks are less consistent. The big upside is since they have better padding and support my ankles and knees don't get sore.

So basically I bring both to the session and constantly switch back and forth to find "the one" and the sesh turns into an A/B test vs actually focusing on skating. I definitely think it's hampering enjoyment and holding me back from actually progressing.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #654 on: November 16, 2022, 02:38:26 PM »
Krux could just make an old Indy shape or something and they'd actually have a market. People want a Stage VIII? Well, you already own the rights to all that and you've probably got a mold somewhere, so make it the Krux V6. But nope, gotta have some weird shit that refuses to turn and is painted in Sponge Bob livery.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #655 on: November 16, 2022, 03:51:14 PM »
I had this idea recently to go from thunders to indys just to switch it up. Got some 54 mm spittys to go with them. I realized exactly how much bigger the wheelbase on Indys are started thinking about how I do all my tricks out of the pocket how I just willingly gave up pocket space. Couldn’t land a single front shuv, all my shit was rocketed. I should just get used to the new setup but for now I’m kicking myself

Edit: went to the park, did a bunch of 50s, and some flatground, felt nice. I love bigger wheels- i must have been at 48 or something before I didn’t realize what I was missing
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 09:17:11 PM by Candied cigarettes »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #656 on: November 16, 2022, 05:44:32 PM »
The wheelbase on Indy's is smaller than Thunders

Paperclip20

« Reply #657 on: November 16, 2022, 06:20:59 PM »
Yah maybe the k5 is different I think Ben Degros did a vid and said they were ok, but the k4 I think was sort of designed in the same vein as a tensor or venture, just wide turning no give.  They remind me of rail jockey trucks, stunting trucks…when you’re being pushed into the ground off a hubba, you don’t want to wheelbite or if you’re leaning the wrong way, you still want the make. 

Some people love em, and I think they they are a good entry point truck, but yah if you’re skating aces and get one these things your reaction will be…these trucks don’t work.

Part of my reasoning is how poorly I skate on Ace, I enjoy the lack of turn on ventures

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #658 on: November 16, 2022, 07:19:32 PM »
Figured this might be as good a place as anywhere to ask for opinions.

For shoe hoarding, when do shoes become unsafe to wear? I have some 9 year old new in box vans that always got pushed down in the pile of unworn shoes.
I want to skate them but I’m worried the soles are just gonna crumble or fold like I’ve heard happen with old sneakers. Is that just a concern with EVA foam and rubber vulcs are good to go?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #659 on: November 16, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »
Figured this might be as good a place as anywhere to ask for opinions.

For shoe hoarding, when do shoes become unsafe to wear? I have some 9 year old new in box vans that always got pushed down in the pile of unworn shoes.
I want to skate them but I’m worried the soles are just gonna crumble or fold like I’ve heard happen with old sneakers. Is that just a concern with EVA foam and rubber vulcs are good to go?

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule on how long shoes take to disintegrate, probably depends on climate, humidity and overall QC. I had a pair of NB 913 that were produced in 2018 (according to the tags), wore them in 2020 and they crumbled in 1 session, so time in storage is anyone's guess.

I'd test the shoes out by walking around the house, the block to see if they hold up, really stretch and flex the shoe. Nothing worse than a shoe crumbling at the start of a session and the spot getting littered with foam bits.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m