Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90789 times)

IpathCats

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1170 on: April 26, 2023, 11:32:09 AM »
Not sure if this is madness, but I have the urge to swap out a perfectly fine deck (after a month of use). I have this thing where I like to setup new decks to signify a change. Like new season, coming back from an injury, new approach to skateboarding, etc.

Am I being a superstitious kook? 🥹

I feel like if you give your used deck to someone who really needs it, that kinda balances out the kooky-ness

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1171 on: April 26, 2023, 11:42:32 AM »
Not really madness cuz I'm not sweating it but recently tried Venture 5.6 Cast hollows again recently. First on an 8.25/14.25 Pass~Port. Was ok for a few flip tricks, decent pop, horrible manual point. Figured I'd throw them on my 8.25 AH Eagle I am running Thunders on and holy shit is it horrible. Like awful ollieing over anything except for getting up on a taller ledge. Manual point is a tad better cuz the deck is mellower. I don't think I will even try to persist on it because skating it is just simply not fun.

Interestingly I put my Thunders on the Pass~Port and liked it better than the Ventures on there before. So far I have enjoyed Thunders on basically any BBS deck 8.25-8.5 wide and 14.25-14.5WB yet I still wanna try other trucks.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1172 on: April 26, 2023, 01:22:05 PM »
Not sure if this is madness, but I have the urge to swap out a perfectly fine deck (after a month of use). I have this thing where I like to setup new decks to signify a change. Like new season, coming back from an injury, new approach to skateboarding, etc.

Madness is tinkering with equipment, chasing some Grail type set-up, that all of us know really doesn't exist. Symbolic gestures that are "allegorious" to something else, in this case change, IMHO, fall into realm outside the scope and range of The Madness, as we have come to know it in this thread.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

manysnakes

« Reply #1173 on: April 26, 2023, 02:23:20 PM »

I only like to skate spring/summer color decks during the warmer months. Gotta be a lot of light colors, lots of pastels, stuff like that. Dark boards are for skating in parking garages all winter.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1174 on: April 26, 2023, 02:29:32 PM »
After an injury?  The only real question is whether or not it’s safe to give away?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1175 on: April 26, 2023, 02:32:45 PM »
i'm sitting on 3 decks i bought while riding Indy forged.
Now that i switched to venture forged i catch myself looking for more decks that my brain says would skate better with the ventures..
I got 2 Real 8.28s.. 31.7, 14.12 WB. Pretty short tail and one is a I the other is a III.
Should i even bother setting them up with the ventures.
The other one is a Darkroom 8.25, 32, 14.25 WB. Could work better maybe..
Last one was a Polar 8.25, 31.875 14.125 WB. That one felt great with the Ventures so my madness tells me i should buy a few more of them..
I hate this shit.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #1176 on: April 26, 2023, 02:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I only like to skate spring/summer color decks during the warmer months. Gotta be a lot of light colors, lots of pastels, stuff like that. Dark boards are for skating in parking garages all winter.
Thanks for the replies. I know it’s not technically madness and I plan on giving it away. And yeah, I want something that has a different vibe. Also doesn’t hurt that I have an abundance of decks cause the sale gear thread lol.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1177 on: April 26, 2023, 04:48:15 PM »
Now that i switched to venture forged i catch myself looking for more decks that my brain says would skate better with the ventures..
I got 2 Real 8.28s.. 31.7, 14.12 WB. Pretty short tail and one is a I the other is a III.
Last one was a Polar 8.25, 31.875 14.125 WB. That one felt great with the Ventures so my madness tells me i should buy a few more of them..
I hate this shit.

You don't have to hate it. You have 2 choices:

1. Set them up and try and leave them at a local park if they don't work.
2. Try to sell them and get what you like.

Regardless I would advise not trying to mastermind wheelbases or other dimensions as much. I've skated setups that all had the same effective wheelbase but felt much different. I have no clue why I like Thunders on 14.5 more than Venture on 14.1-14.25 when they have a longer effective wheelbase. I've skated decks with the same measurements but different kick shapes and fingers of flat and had noticeably different experiences. Sometimes you gotta just ride with what works and suck it up as a loss if something you try that is similar or might be better doesn't work.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #1178 on: April 26, 2023, 07:57:49 PM »
Not really madness cuz I'm not sweating it but recently tried Venture 5.6 Cast hollows again recently. First on an 8.25/14.25 Pass~Port. Was ok for a few flip tricks, decent pop, horrible manual point. Figured I'd throw them on my 8.25 AH Eagle I am running Thunders on and holy shit is it horrible. Like awful ollieing over anything except for getting up on a taller ledge. Manual point is a tad better cuz the deck is mellower. I don't think I will even try to persist on it because skating it is just simply not fun.

Interestingly I put my Thunders on the Pass~Port and liked it better than the Ventures on there before. So far I have enjoyed Thunders on basically any BBS deck 8.25-8.5 wide and 14.25-14.5WB yet I still wanna try other trucks.

Have you been able to try the cast hollows on the AWS 8.25 x 32.25 x 14.25?  That has been my favorite deck to run with those trucks.  I think the longer nose and tail work well with the Ventures.  All of my manuals feel good on this setup, and my flip tricks are higher than doing them on Thunders.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1179 on: April 26, 2023, 09:46:05 PM »
I have not, no one local sells those and I typically am not one for big kicks. So far I have tried Quasi 8.25, Quasi 8.38, BBS 8.125 generic, BBS 8.25 generic, BBS 8.38 generic, DLX Blue Eagle 8.4ish x 14.25, a DLX 8.25, a DLX 8.06, and maybe something else. I think the only deck I've really enjoyed them on is the BBS 8.125/8.25

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #1180 on: April 27, 2023, 05:47:10 AM »
Quasi 8.25 is on deck for me.  The one with the 14.38 wb.  Never tried this shape, but I normally do not like PS.  We'll see how it goes.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1197
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1181 on: April 27, 2023, 11:44:09 AM »
I have this thing where I like to setup new decks to signify a change. Like new season, coming back from an injury, new approach to skateboarding, etc.

hardly art, hardly starving

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1182 on: April 27, 2023, 12:43:36 PM »
I’ve been on the opposite end of some of these board dimension trends. Longer boards and wheelbases. The bbs dlx 8.25/14.38 with thunders has been my go to recently, but I just finished riding this weird 8.25 heroin yankou deck with a 14.8 wheelbase and it was magic. Flip tricks were amazing, and it was super comfy on transition. I thought it was mislabeled at first but I measured and it was pretty close at 14.7

I’m 5’11 so not really tall and I don’t think my legs are oddly long, but for some reason these bigger wheelbase boards just feel perfect. Bigger nose/tails, nice fingers of flat, and the 8.25 width just works perfect for flip tricks and ledges but gives enough stability for transition.

I found an old ass anti hero deck at the mall labeled “8.25 full” with a 14.5 wheelbase - seemed to from the old/original run when dlx first introduced the full shapes. Didn’t grab it because it must have been a few years old. I ended up finding a few unity & there decks with that same shape and I believe both of those brands are from dlx as well correct?

https://www.tactics.com/there/kien-friends-825-full-shape-skateboard-deck

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1183 on: April 27, 2023, 01:05:55 PM »
That deck is new, shoulda grabbed it.

FGO925

« Reply #1184 on: April 27, 2023, 04:09:42 PM »
Damn ur right, just checked their catalog and it’s new. Still sucks buying from mainland, might go to my local shop and see if they have it.

FGO925

« Reply #1185 on: April 27, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »
Damn ur right, just checked their catalog and it’s new. Still sucks buying from mainland, might go to my local shop and see if they have it.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1186 on: April 27, 2023, 04:49:56 PM »
I’ve been on the opposite end of some of these board dimension trends. Longer boards and wheelbases. The bbs dlx 8.25/14.38 with thunders has been my go to recently, but I just finished riding this weird 8.25 heroin yankou deck with a 14.8 wheelbase and it was magic. Flip tricks were amazing, and it was super comfy on transition. I thought it was mislabeled at first but I measured and it was pretty close at 14.7

I’m 5’11 so not really tall and I don’t think my legs are oddly long, but for some reason these bigger wheelbase boards just feel perfect. Bigger nose/tails, nice fingers of flat, and the 8.25 width just works perfect for flip tricks and ledges but gives enough stability for transition.

I found an old ass anti hero deck at the mall labeled “8.25 full” with a 14.5 wheelbase - seemed to from the old/original run when dlx first introduced the full shapes. Didn’t grab it because it must have been a few years old. I ended up finding a few unity & there decks with that same shape and I believe both of those brands are from dlx as well correct?

https://www.tactics.com/there/kien-friends-825-full-shape-skateboard-deck

Yes, they are all under DLX, being able to use any of the same shapes, or do their own, like the long Chandler Burton board, but that is wider as well.

https://www.tactics.com/there/chandler-burton-night-garden-85-skateboard-deck/metallic-foil

I think there should be more of those 8.25 Full boards coming out from DLX as well, but with anything like that, you never know how many or when they will do more, but I think the Heroin board shape is a regular one and most likely in every drop, or every other drop from Heroin from what I have heard / seen.

At least the DLX 8.25 Full shape is pretty much the go to for an allrounder, or if you do like longer boards / wheelbases without going crazy on the overall dimensions or having the wheelbase eat into the nose or tail too much.

Another board with weird long wheelbase for it's size is the Palace 8.3 board, at a similar 14.8 or so wheelbase, that most people steer clear of, but some really like.  It is Dwindle wood and Palace is not one of the brands that is around everywhere, as well as usually being on the higher price end of the scale, but interesting to see.

To say I am biased towards BBS and DLX is an understatement, but I try to keep an open mind when helping others with products, board info, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #1187 on: April 29, 2023, 10:04:25 AM »
Expand Quote
I hate this shit.
[close]

You don't have to hate it. You have 2 choices:

1. Set them up and try and leave them at a local park if they don't work.
2. Try to sell them and get what you like.

Regardless I would advise not trying to mastermind wheelbases or other dimensions as much. I've skated setups that all had the same effective wheelbase but felt much different. I have no clue why I like Thunders on 14.5 more than Venture on 14.1-14.25 when they have a longer effective wheelbase. I've skated decks with the same measurements but different kick shapes and fingers of flat and had noticeably different experiences. Sometimes you gotta just ride with what works and suck it up as a loss if something you try that is similar or might be better doesn't work.
1st session on the 8.28 and yea.. Better than my Madness tried to tell me. I kinda like it more than the polar I had before. It felt a bit more tiring but all my stuff worked really well. I went with the III first. The I will be a different kind of beast I guess..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1188 on: April 29, 2023, 10:25:08 AM »
Not being able to skate and having a pile of unused shit is driving me loopy. I want to just give it all away at this point.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1189 on: April 29, 2023, 12:13:18 PM »
Not being able to skate and having a pile of unused shit is driving me loopy. I want to just give it all away at this point.

That’s the worst for me with the madness. Then I start buying more and thinking what kind of set ups I should put together to make me an awesome skater. Then I start fiddling with my gear and setting up boards and then it’s full blown madness.

I’ll try to actively avoid that situation from now on but it’s not easy as I’ve got so much stuff and not enough time to skate and I’ve also been injured a bunch in the last few years.

manysnakes

« Reply #1190 on: April 29, 2023, 01:59:48 PM »
I’ve been a one complete guy for a while now, but last night I was struggling to land a single kickflip and my pop felt like crap. Today I’m on call and stuck at home, so in order to induce fresh madness into my skating, I went ahead and setup a freshie with some Ventures I’ve had kicking around.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1191 on: April 29, 2023, 03:03:50 PM »
I’ve been a one complete guy for a while now, but last night I was struggling to land a single kickflip and my pop felt like crap. Today I’m on call and stuck at home, so in order to induce fresh madness into my skating, I went ahead and setup a freshie with some Ventures I’ve had kicking around.

This is the way.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1192 on: April 29, 2023, 04:12:21 PM »

Ive got no madness compared to y’all in here but ive do have a few if everything needed to skate on ice, including decks that i skated for far too short a period to set up a new one.

Anyways, im also a 1 set up sorta cat. The quiver makes no sense to me but in trying to learn 360 flips i threw together a flatter setup with tighter trucks, something thats just a little too rigid for me to jame around on but perfect for balance needed when learning this trick. I feel kinda kooky being as shitty as i am at skating and busting out a second set up at the ens of a session to practice a single flip trick while dudes are ripping hard on janky set ups buuuuut it’s working for now 🫠
Support your local skate shop

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1193 on: April 30, 2023, 03:56:00 AM »
After riding a size 8.0 board for a long time, and high trucks, I wanted to change two months ago and I bought a baker 8.125, and thunder 148, because influenced by everyone who skates big guys trucks, but above all; I wanted to be on the medium; because I was getting tired of high trucks, too much effort and big problem in flip tricks.

Lots of trouble too, wide trucks are so hard for me.. I'm short (5.7) and short legs..

Yesterday; I went to the local shop to buy a new board, I went back to 8.0, all the other boards were too long with a large wheelbase, I took a sk8mafia with a length of 31.25 and a wheelbase of 14,1
and a friend gave me a pair of Fury trucks, the new ones that are sold in partnership with decathlon skateboarding , there are mids, and honestly.. I haven't skated so well in a long time ! A 8.0 board is so much better for my build, and the fury trucks are a really big surprise!!! Very light but controllable. Maybe because they are made of aluminium. Their wheelbase is closer to independent, so less hassle with a board wheelbase above 14..

If I could give ONE BIG piece of advice for those who have fallen into madness like me, Take a board in relation to your body size, honestly, everything is easier .. that's undeniable

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1194 on: April 30, 2023, 06:42:54 AM »
I'm 6 foot 3 with US size 10 shoes what board size is for me?

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1195 on: April 30, 2023, 07:09:18 AM »
I'm 6 foot 3 with US size 10 shoes what board size is for me?
I’m the same height but my feet are 13. I like 8.5 best, but can pop higher on 8.25. I have a 9.25 and 10.34 deck too, and while they feel comfy, they’re too big for me.

Honestly, I think concave is more important than the size. My 8.25 TM deck feels bigger than some of my 8.5s cause it’s so flat lol

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #1196 on: April 30, 2023, 08:52:43 AM »
After riding a size 8.0 board for a long time, and high trucks, I wanted to change two months ago and I bought a baker 8.125, and thunder 148, because influenced by everyone who skates big guys trucks, but above all; I wanted to be on the medium; because I was getting tired of high trucks, too much effort and big problem in flip tricks.

Lots of trouble too, wide trucks are so hard for me.. I'm short (5.7) and short legs..

Yesterday; I went to the local shop to buy a new board, I went back to 8.0, all the other boards were too long with a large wheelbase, I took a sk8mafia with a length of 31.25 and a wheelbase of 14,1
and a friend gave me a pair of Fury trucks, the new ones that are sold in partnership with decathlon skateboarding , there are mids, and honestly.. I haven't skated so well in a long time ! A 8.0 board is so much better for my build, and the fury trucks are a really big surprise!!! Very light but controllable. Maybe because they are made of aluminium. Their wheelbase is closer to independent, so less hassle with a board wheelbase above 14..

If I could give ONE BIG piece of advice for those who have fallen into madness like me, Take a board in relation to your body size, honestly, everything is easier .. that's undeniable

Pushes away in an 8.38 and an 8.75 at 5'7"
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1197 on: April 30, 2023, 10:32:45 AM »
My ollies might be better on one setup cause it has sanded down Jessup versus MOB on my other one. Just easier to slide my foot, but feels like I'll slip off while cruising. This got me thinking--have any of y'all ever applied different brands of grip on a deck? I'm thinking MOB on the tail and Jessup up front for a quicker slide. So it'd be like a 25/75 split. Surely I'm not the first person to think of this lol

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1198 on: April 30, 2023, 10:40:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pushes away in an 8.38 and an 8.75 at 5'7"

Yes I forgot to mention that the skateboarding style also plays a role.. I do a lot of flatground.. I think that if I did ramp or big rail, and big gap, it wouldn't be the same haha

FGO925

« Reply #1199 on: April 30, 2023, 10:41:51 AM »
I definitely prefer bbs/Dlx boards as well but I may have to try that palace 8.3

These longer boards just feel super comfy. I still love the smaller wheelbase huge shovel nose FA style boards, but they just aren’t as versatile. Having a huge nose and tail does make it really easy to boost flip tricks out of tail & nose slide’s.