Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90753 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
  • sup dog
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1710 on: December 13, 2023, 11:31:43 AM »
^^why don’t you give us your full madness take on it..just for fun!
I second this. Give me things to read, dammit!
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

diplodocus

• Rep: 163
  • long neck
« Reply #1711 on: December 13, 2023, 11:53:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ive decided to go from 54 to 53 I will report back  8)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1712 on: December 13, 2023, 08:52:38 PM »
I prefer 52 so I buy 53 and skate a lot of asphalt and get to enjoy them being around 52 for longer.

Got a pair of 52 Classic Full on Ice, which are basically a worn 54. God tier wheel.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1713 on: December 13, 2023, 09:20:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ive decided to go from 54 to 53 I will report back  8)

Godspeed. I'll be waiting to hear your take.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Tre

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1714 on: December 13, 2023, 10:15:28 PM »
Any comments on thunder 148 vs venture 5.6 v-light?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1715 on: December 13, 2023, 11:04:01 PM »
Thunder: cast baseplates.  Good: light, quicker pop, grind well, low Bad: wheel bite.
 Venture: forged plates.  Good: stability but you can still ride them loose.  Flipability, manual lock is super good.  Hefty pop.  Bad: don’t grind as well, people don’t like how they turn. 

I like Ventures more but totally understand why people skate thunders…..both are good trucks….

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1716 on: December 14, 2023, 12:12:09 AM »
I was off madness for a decent time, like a couple years maybe and then it happened. To keep it simple for like 15 years I skated 8" and then stepped up to 8.5 for like 8 years with some 8.25 period in between, all good. The other day I found a GX1000 8" for stupid cheap (€28) and I was like "why not? If anything I'll hook up someone with it". 
Put my AF-1 44 on it and boy thing feels amazing. Super light and easy to flip and feels like home. Obviously I have a stack of like 10 boards within 8.375 and 8.5 but tbh is not that bad since when you suck board sizes won't play a factor in here. Also have some AF-1 55 on a Jacuzzi egg 9.125 so I can skate small or big board depending on my mood.
Bottom line anything is just fun and I'm happy/thankful to be able to skate.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1717 on: December 14, 2023, 07:32:42 AM »
Thunder: cast baseplates.  Good: light, quicker pop, grind well, low Bad: wheel bite.
 Venture: forged plates.  Good: stability but you can still ride them loose.  Flipability, manual lock is super good.  Hefty pop.  Bad: don’t grind as well, people don’t like how they turn. 

I like Ventures more but totally understand why people skate thunders…..both are good trucks….

I like both a lot. I actually dislike the Venture manual point and prefer the cast to V Light. You get used to the grind especially if the surface is smooth and/or waxed. I'd say Venture has more of a 1-2 pop like Indy

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1718 on: December 14, 2023, 09:02:20 AM »
af-1 44s on an 8” are nice!
(i still wonder what jacopo’s setup is).

venture vs thunder….cant go wrong, i like em both, two favorites. i’m not sure if this is accurate, but i feel like thunders are not as deck specific for me. i can just put em on whatever and its going to be decent. i could skate thunders and just forget about large swaths of madness.
ventures i always come back to, near and dear to my heart, it was THE brand with the skating i enjoyed watching the most. 5.0 lo’s are rad, and feel great.

currently skating 6.1s on an 8.38, and it’s working way better than it should. it’s a madness induced setup, just throwing stuff at the wall. what is interesting is that i thought this setup would be a short stop, and i am by no means foolish enough to say the madness is gone (it isn’t), but i haven’t thought about putting anything different together

so that’s nice

manysnakes

« Reply #1719 on: December 14, 2023, 09:33:57 AM »

I swear by this setup.

mstuntbless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1720 on: December 14, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
Someone talk to me about switching from Indy to venture. Plz

manysnakes

« Reply #1721 on: December 14, 2023, 11:02:19 AM »

Do you hate turning and grinding? Venture is the truck for you.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1722 on: December 14, 2023, 12:04:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you hate turning and grinding? Venture is the truck for you.

ventures turn and grind good enough, pop is a strong suit. all of the major brands are functional, it’s just finding what is most important for you. for me, pop/leverage. if you are into some hip wiggling, get some ace baby. shake it.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1723 on: December 14, 2023, 01:08:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I swear by this setup.
+1
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
« Reply #1724 on: December 14, 2023, 02:13:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I swear by this setup.
Just measured mine and the grindable hanger space is only 137mm. They basically are 8" trucks. Which kinda sucks if you've bought them for an 8.25...

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1725 on: December 14, 2023, 05:24:45 PM »

I've tried all of the major brand trucks. Several times. I always end up back on Indy. I believe one should occasionally test their own assumptions, if only to prove they still hold true. However, once done enough, some assumptions (postulates) can clearly be moved over to the theorem category.

For me, Indys are a simple truth.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1726 on: December 14, 2023, 05:48:23 PM »

For me, Indys are a simple truth.

The way, the truth, and the life.

Amen.

(though I wish they would put a standard logo etching of some kind back on the outside part of all the trucks, not just specials.)

Banned from the room

« Reply #1727 on: December 14, 2023, 05:55:25 PM »
I'm already bummed on my wheel selection and it hasn't arrived yet.

I'm worried about the 97a thing. I just got switch speed check slides back.

I'm worrying it's going to be crazy sticky. 

I should have just gotten 60mm classics.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1728 on: December 14, 2023, 06:00:02 PM »

Hey you got new wheels! Noice.

Hey man I feel you…. I bought x99’s and they were just not what I was hoping for and gave them to a friend for an early Christmas present.

You might like them. Don’t worry. Maybe you’ll hate them, trade them or sell them and get a new set.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1729 on: December 14, 2023, 11:55:19 PM »
Been on BBS 8.125s with Indy 144s, BBS 8.38 with Indy 149s, now decided to give 8.625 with 159s a shot. Not sure what comes out of this.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 100
« Reply #1730 on: December 15, 2023, 07:52:11 AM »
Been having some major wheel madness. Went from 60mm classics (spit f4) to 55mm tablets. Hurt my ankle and wanted a lower board for easier pop.

Loving no risers and a lower board but the tablet noticeably slowed my grinds down and fucked up my scoop tricks so after about four months switched to a 54mm radial. It’s perfect but I’m worried I’m gonna burn through em especially with my city’s super rough ground.

Looking at this skate warehouse sale I wanna get a set of backups but I’m troubled on size. Without risers and riding Indy’s about 40% tightened over flushed would (I weigh about 145) a 56mm radial be cutting it close wheelbite wise with no risers? I wish I could find 55mm radial on sale I feel like that would be a perfect wheel.

rikki

• Rep: 312
« Reply #1731 on: December 15, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »
Been having some major wheel madness. Went from 60mm classics (spit f4) to 55mm tablets. Hurt my ankle and wanted a lower board for easier pop.

Loving no risers and a lower board but the tablet noticeably slowed my grinds down and fucked up my scoop tricks so after about four months switched to a 54mm radial. It’s perfect but I’m worried I’m gonna burn through em especially with my city’s super rough ground.

Looking at this skate warehouse sale I wanna get a set of backups but I’m troubled on size. Without risers and riding Indy’s about 40% tightened over flushed would (I weigh about 145) a 56mm radial be cutting it close wheelbite wise with no risers? I wish I could find 55mm radial on sale I feel like that would be a perfect wheel.

You'll be fine. I've ridden 56 mm Classics on loose forged Indys with no risers and haven't had a problem with wheelbite.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1732 on: December 15, 2023, 08:12:13 AM »
Really regret putting rails on my latest set up. Every time I say never again and then I see people do all kinds of fancy things with rails like our boy 144p but I just can't get comfy with the damn things. And now, I don't want to take them off as madness doesn't want the little screw holes unfilled or wasting plastic and $10. Might be a curb only set up, which I find silly also.... Gonna go do lots of board slides and see how quick I can wear them down and move on to a better place.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1733 on: December 15, 2023, 02:23:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You'll be fine. I've ridden 56 mm Classics on loose forged Indys with no risers and haven't had a problem with wheelbite.

Yeah I think the 56 mm wheel size is about perfect for me on Indy standards, even with a bit more give in the bushing department.

It is only 0.5 mm height difference from axle to ground / wheelbite too, so you are not going to have a whole lot less between the 56 mm wheels and the 55 mm wheels.

I have both sizes in Classics and Radials and I can easily deal with the 1 mm more, with the 56 mm wheels lasting a little longer from new and will wear down soon enough anyway, if you find something a little more coarse to skate for the first few sessions.

* Been there a bit in the past too, different wheel sizes working well enough, but getting the ideal wheel size right from go is even better, but a slight difference is not going to be that much to deal with, especially if it is a good price right now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1734 on: December 15, 2023, 03:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hey you got new wheels! Noice.

Hey man I feel you…. I bought x99’s and they were just not what I was hoping for and gave them to a friend for an early Christmas present.

You might like them. Don’t worry. Maybe you’ll hate them, trade them or sell them and get a new set.

Worked out gravy

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1735 on: December 15, 2023, 05:49:47 PM »
Okay. This feels like really dumb kind of madness, but I guess this is what this support group is for.

I.

HATE. This shiny metal baseplate on my brand new hollow trucks. I want my black baseplate back from my frankenIndy….

But if I put the black baseplate back, I lose that weight reduction of the hollow kingpin.

And if I go back to standard kingpin, I’ll never be able to switch ollie a picnic table.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1736 on: December 15, 2023, 07:24:45 PM »
Okay. This feels like really dumb kind of madness, but I guess this is what this support group is for.

I.

HATE. This shiny metal baseplate on my brand new hollow trucks. I want my black baseplate back from my frankenIndy….

But if I put the black baseplate back, I lose that weight reduction of the hollow kingpin.

And if I go back to standard kingpin, I’ll never be able to switch ollie a picnic table.

Spray Paint.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1737 on: December 15, 2023, 07:51:40 PM »
a local powdercoat shop can also powder the baseplates or if you find a gun weirdo that has Cerakote that would work as well.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1738 on: December 15, 2023, 08:13:24 PM »
Expand Quote

I.

[close]

Spray Paint.

a local powdercoat shop can also powder the baseplates or if you find a gun weirdo that has Cerakote that would work as well.

I like these very much. Thank you

I will search out a gun weirdo on Craigslist. (Or go get some matte textured spray paint… whichever comes first)

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #1739 on: December 16, 2023, 07:41:22 AM »
Well pals, getting them ready for spray paint. (I wasn’t able to find a gun psycho… oh well next time)