Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 89322 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #2040 on: May 03, 2024, 09:50:05 AM »
Expand Quote
There is no harm is setting up a wide bowl board, wider carvy trucks (that are know to be the choice of bowl rippers), longer wheel base and bigger wheels to better skate that terrain.
[close]

This is true. But this is the road to multiple setups, which is ok too. But if a lifetime Venture rider wants to rip both street and trannies with one setup, it's gonna be hell trying to do everything with any other truck.

The two setups solution:

1. Stay AWAKE on the streets, ledges, curbs, flatground.
2. Go to sleep with Indys or Aces in bowls and trannies.

OR

Fuck that madness shit, stay AWAKE all around, and proceed to rip trannies on Ventures, which is entirely possible (but not as easy).
I'd go for another setup.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2041 on: May 21, 2024, 02:52:57 PM »
Random Madness from this week:

I have small DLX 8.25 stock pile. Was time for a new deck. I prefer IV stamped, but can do III, too. Set-up a new one, which was a III. Once set-up, it felt like a "I" stamp. Hated it. Did an @Mbrimson88 "parking-job" for 15 min on each kick. At first I was like, "Oh no! too flat!" But then it bent back a bit, and felt like a perfect "IV." Now I have the happy.

But...I'm being indecisive about 144s/149s on the 8.25 right now. Thought I buried that one a long time ago. Guess not.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

CarcassToss

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2042 on: May 21, 2024, 03:01:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There is no harm is setting up a wide bowl board, wider carvy trucks (that are know to be the choice of bowl rippers), longer wheel base and bigger wheels to better skate that terrain.
[close]

This is true. But this is the road to multiple setups, which is ok too. But if a lifetime Venture rider wants to rip both street and trannies with one setup, it's gonna be hell trying to do everything with any other truck.

The two setups solution:

1. Stay AWAKE on the streets, ledges, curbs, flatground.
2. Go to sleep with Indys or Aces in bowls and trannies.

OR

Fuck that madness shit, stay AWAKE all around, and proceed to rip trannies on Ventures, which is entirely possible (but not as easy).
[close]
I'd go for another setup.

I've got a normal setup on 5.6s, and for transition/parks have a DLX 8.75 on 5.8. I'm not Ronnie Sandoval, but I can comfortably skate most parks to the coping whereas the bowl troll paddy daddies with their loose trucks saves lives setups can't.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2043 on: May 21, 2024, 05:12:11 PM »

I have small DLX 8.25 stock pile. Was time for a new deck. I prefer IV stamped, but can do III, too. Set-up a new one, which was a III. Once set-up, it felt like a "I" stamp. Hated it. Did an @Mbrimson88 "parking-job" for 15 min on each kick. At first I was like, "Oh no! too flat!" But then it bent back a bit, and felt like a perfect "IV." Now I have the happy.

But...I'm being indecisive about 144s/149s on the 8.25 right now. Thought I buried that one a long time ago. Guess not.

Yeah it is a fine line sometimes, but I always leave the board for a few days after parking on it, just to let it come back to where it will stay.

Are you into multiple washers on the inside of each wheel or depending on where the wheels sit, sometimes more or less?

I know a few people who have put three on the inside of 144s and then none or one thin one on 149s on those boards, just to have a closer feeling, but in general as you used to do 144s, that is how I think a lot of people run them now, compared to back in the day before 144s came out, 139s sat too far in, 149s with minimal washers or thinner wheels sat fairly well on the DLX 8.25 decks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2044 on: Today at 06:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah it is a fine line sometimes, but I always leave the board for a few days after parking on it, just to let it come back to where it will stay.

Are you into multiple washers on the inside of each wheel or depending on where the wheels sit, sometimes more or less?

I know a few people who have put three on the inside of 144s and then none or one thin one on 149s on those boards, just to have a closer feeling, but in general as you used to do 144s, that is how I think a lot of people run them now, compared to back in the day before 144s came out, 139s sat too far in, 149s with minimal washers or thinner wheels sat fairly well on the DLX 8.25 decks.

^ The last time I went through the 149/144 madness (year or so ago), I ended up with 144s and a few inside washers. A bit after that, I was just suddenly like, "This is utterly insane. A mm is not going to make any real difference*." And I went to standard 1 inside, 1 outside. Recently, I had been riding that 8.75/14.5 Label for a bit, with 159s. And I liked how stable it felt. So, i decided to try 149s on the 8.25 to see if that just might make things "feel better" (under no illusion it's really going to make me skate better/worse in any substantive, meaningful way). It oddly gave me a bit more mental confidence with pivot to fakies, because it felt like more of the truck already "inside" the transition (I do the just lock-the-heel-wheel type of pivot to fakies). The turn on 149s feels real nice, too. But I don't like the axle nut sticking out. Put on 144s back on after a bit, and board just felt a little less stable, with less of a good feeling turn, but also more nimble. Maybe I should just abandon "either/or" (hey Kierkegaard) concepts and just ride whatever the mood dictates, when it dictates, as to trying to find a singular answer.   

*Yet, don't you dare ask me to ride a wheel that is just 1mm off from my preferred size! The irony!
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Gleefull508

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2045 on: Today at 07:24:48 AM »
ran out of 8.25 and only had 8.38 boards left but I skate ACE 44.

Was scared I was gonna get some madness thinking my trucks were too small and hate it but honestly, I can't tell the difference. If anything I like it more

Madness avoided

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2046 on: Today at 07:30:42 AM »
ran out of 8.25 and only had 8.38 boards left but I skate ACE 44.

Was scared I was gonna get some madness thinking my trucks were too small and hate it but honestly, I can't tell the difference. If anything I like it more

Madness avoided for today
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2047 on: Today at 08:25:43 AM »

^ The last time I went through the 149/144 madness (year or so ago), I ended up with 144s and a few inside washers. A bit after that, I was just suddenly like, "This is utterly insane. A mm is not going to make any real difference*." And I went to standard 1 inside, 1 outside. Recently, I had been riding that 8.75/14.5 Label for a bit, with 159s. And I liked how stable it felt. So, i decided to try 149s on the 8.25 to see if that just might make things "feel better" (under no illusion it's really going to make me skate better/worse in any substantive, meaningful way). It oddly gave me a bit more mental confidence with pivot to fakies, because it felt like more of the truck already "inside" the transition (I do the just lock-the-heel-wheel type of pivot to fakies). The turn on 149s feels real nice, too. But I don't like the axle nut sticking out. Put on 144s back on after a bit, and board just felt a little less stable, with less of a good feeling turn, but also more nimble. Maybe I should just abandon "either/or" (hey Kierkegaard) concepts and just ride whatever the mood dictates, when it dictates, as to trying to find a singular answer.   

*Yet, don't you dare ask me to ride a wheel that is just 1mm off from my preferred size! The irony!

Oh yeah, that is very familiar - used to ride 144s but now they feel too tippy on any board and the smallest I will go is 149s.

A couple of additions to the madness for you - just the one washer on the inside of 149s and no washer on the outside to see if the nuts sit in far enough.  Try that for a bit, not looking at the remaining axle if you can help it, but if that works, then even grind off the end couple of threads of the axles to bring everything in a bit more, so they will end up sort of like 146 hangers, the way the old Stage 8 or so were, which fit a bit better.  Just don't take too much off.

People have done it unintentionally and just smashed the ends of their axles in the past, so when I am reconditioning used parts, especially hangers, one washer is all that will fit and the truck actually works really well as an in between size.

Re pivot to fakie (and quite a few other tricks where the little extra truck width really helps) I do enjoy a touch more hanger and yes, that spot is the one, wheel just up over and not half a truck with it.

The only down side is some people say the truck is not nimble enough and the 149 sits too wide for some of their flat bar grind type tricks, but I enjoy letting other people with their own trucks have all the flat bar grinding attention and really only have board contact nowdays with flatbars anyway for my own happiness.  Works better for me and less likely to end up broken off.

At least you always have some 144 hangers you can swap in if needed.

:)

CarcassToss

« Reply #2048 on: Today at 10:07:05 AM »
Maybe I'm a psycho, but I always feel that it's less about overall truck width and more about deck to truck ratio. I've got 5.8's on an 8.75 and it feels similar to my 5.6's on 8.38. I rock 3 washers inside on both, 1 out, to get the axle nuts flush and it effectively makes the centerline of the wheel an 8.38/8.62 truck. Both feel about the same stability, tip, and scoop. When I first got the 8.75 I was like fuckit I don't have 5.8's yet I'll ride my normal trucks and that was insanely squirrely.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #2049 on: Today at 10:47:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh yeah, that is very familiar - used to ride 144s but now they feel too tippy on any board and the smallest I will go is 149s.

A couple of additions to the madness for you - just the one washer on the inside of 149s and no washer on the outside to see if the nuts sit in far enough.  Try that for a bit, not looking at the remaining axle if you can help it, but if that works, then even grind off the end couple of threads of the axles to bring everything in a bit more, so they will end up sort of like 146 hangers, the way the old Stage 8 or so were, which fit a bit better.  Just don't take too much off.

People have done it unintentionally and just smashed the ends of their axles in the past, so when I am reconditioning used parts, especially hangers, one washer is all that will fit and the truck actually works really well as an in between size.

Re pivot to fakie (and quite a few other tricks where the little extra truck width really helps) I do enjoy a touch more hanger and yes, that spot is the one, wheel just up over and not half a truck with it.

The only down side is some people say the truck is not nimble enough and the 149 sits too wide for some of their flat bar grind type tricks, but I enjoy letting other people with their own trucks have all the flat bar grinding attention and really only have board contact nowdays with flatbars anyway for my own happiness.  Works better for me and less likely to end up broken off.

At least you always have some 144 hangers you can swap in if needed.

:)

All other madness aside, I struggle with this one a lot (Moreso when riding spit classics or other wide wheels that eat up hanger room).

149s feel more stable but are heavier, bit more grind room vs the slightly lighter yet tippy feeling of 144/148s.....that 1/4 you know...1/8" on either side WHOAH BOY WATCH OUT THEM TRE FLIPS GONNA SPIN FASTER....but not really.

I can't understand the mental block I have with them, drives me crazy sometimes. If  there were more than 3 8.3 truck options that were lighter/better  grind clearance, I'd run those.

CarcassToss

« Reply #2050 on: Today at 11:01:29 AM »
The thing that led me to Ace years back was the 44 being 8.38.

I-am-12

• Rep: -6
« Reply #2051 on: Today at 11:17:41 AM »
Hope this is the right thread.

Will I get ~clowned~ / shamed for skating a nice pro deck as a relatively newish skater (2 years, learning basic grinds and flip tricks, not a park hero but not a slow skater)?

I only ask because I'm sure people will say something if I was skating super rare Dunks or some LV collab supreme board...

Like, I feel like if I'm skating a Supreme or FA deck (I live in NY so they're not hard to get) will make people cringe because I can probably re-sell? Is that still a thing?

If I find an old Limo or Frog deck that isn't for sale anymore, is that shit rare? What about a Violet board? I feel like the prices are standard so they're not ~collectable~ but I've never seen someone IRL skating a Violet board, probably because people want to hang them up or something?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2052 on: Today at 03:10:23 PM »

Will I get ~clowned~ / shamed for skating a nice pro deck as a relatively newish skater (2 years, learning basic grinds and flip tricks, not a park hero but not a slow skater)?

I only ask because I'm sure people will say something if I was skating super rare Dunks or some LV collab supreme board...

Like, I feel like if I'm skating a Supreme or FA deck (I live in NY so they're not hard to get) will make people cringe because I can probably re-sell? Is that still a thing?

If I find an old Limo or Frog deck that isn't for sale anymore, is that shit rare? What about a Violet board? I feel like the prices are standard so they're not ~collectable~ but I've never seen someone IRL skating a Violet board, probably because people want to hang them up or something?

I wouldn't stress it for a second, the subset of people who collect boards within skateboarding is super small, and even they likely wouldn't trip out unless they saw you on the Jake Johnson Alien debut board or something, and even then they might be stoked.

All the brands you named are readily commercially available as you noted, so any perceived scarcity or exclusivity is pure marketing. Even if there's a board that in the future will become collectible, nobody will know about it for years until 99% of that model has been skated and left for dead.

All that to say, if there's a graphic or brand you like, go for it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2053 on: Today at 06:18:18 PM »

I wouldn't stress it for a second, the subset of people who collect boards within skateboarding is super small, and even they likely wouldn't trip out unless they saw you on the Jake Johnson Alien debut board or something, and even then they might be stoked.

All the brands you named are readily commercially available as you noted, so any perceived scarcity or exclusivity is pure marketing. Even if there's a board that in the future will become collectible, nobody will know about it for years until 99% of that model has been skated and left for dead.

All that to say, if there's a graphic or brand you like, go for it.

^^^  Exactly.

To add, some brands like FA have a million boards out there (exaggeration, sure) but other brands have very few out there relatively speaking, so the fact that you might have never seen a brand in the wild under someone's feet doesn't mean they are collectable or special, any more than any other piece of wood.

Small boutique brands are just that, whereas some other brands are almost on every street corner.

Also some brands are way more visible / noticeable too, so seeing someone with a well used Violet board might not even register, compared to a well used FA board.