Author Topic: New Vans skate line is trash  (Read 8467 times)

Captain No Cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
New Vans skate line is trash
« on: August 23, 2022, 10:50:18 PM »
I know its been a little while now since Vans relaunched their whole skate line, but man the new models dont hold up to the old Pro line.

Personally I’ve noticed a huge difference in the quality of the shoes, I’m blowing through Vans a whole lot quicker than what I used to with the Pro’s, and just generally feel cheaper. The fit of the shoes feel off, the popcush seems to take longer to break in compared to the old ultracush, and the foxing is nowhere near as thick as the old pros.  Not to mention the new shiny sole thing they’ve got going on which looks trash.

Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same feelings about the newer models, or if you actually enjoy the changes.
If you sk8, you know, when you bite into that spring-roll

bombsaway86

• Rep: 176
Re: New Vans skate line is trash
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 11:15:42 PM »
I know its been a little while now since Vans relaunched their whole skate line, but man the new models dont hold up to the old Pro line.

Personally I’ve noticed a huge difference in the quality of the shoes, I’m blowing through Vans a whole lot quicker than what I used to with the Pro’s, and just generally feel cheaper. The fit of the shoes feel off, the popcush seems to take longer to break in compared to the old ultracush, and the foxing is nowhere near as thick as the old pros.  Not to mention the new shiny sole thing they’ve got going on which looks trash.

Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same feelings about the newer models, or if you actually enjoy the changes.

I think the skate line is pretty great. They take a lot longer to break in, but they’re definitely more durable than the old pro line. That’s just my experience though

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 11:21:15 PM »
Honestly, I like most of the new changes. The fit feels way more secure. The insole height is perfect for me and feels consistently firm while not being uncomfortable. The sole feels like it lasts longer.

What I hate the most is how they took off a lot of rubber from the toebox. It's great for tech skaters, but for transition skaters like me the toebox doesn't last long with knee slides. The extra rubber helped a lot with this but now that's gone.

The Lizzies don't have this problem since they designed it with knee sliding in mind, but the fit can be too tight for some and the snug fit isn't very comfortable with an ankle brace.

diplodocus

• Rep: 169
  • long neck
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 11:22:42 PM »
i’ll say they are better than the pro line but overall i think vans are just poor quality almost half of the time of the time due to poor production. whether that be the bottom and side coming apart, the stitching tearing fast, the side stripe stitching coming apart, the list could go on. It all comes down to the shoes being cheaply made. but it really depends from shoe to shoe. some pairs are better than others.

i will say tho that the skate slip ons are way worse than the pro slips. the damn heel thing on the skate does not work on the slip ons whatsoever.

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 11:23:43 PM »
I prefer the new SKATE line. The Pro line was floppy garbage.
How much for an order of ribs?

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 11:24:41 PM »

Not to mention the new shiny sole thing they’ve got going on which looks trash.

Yes I feel pretty much the same way. I went to get a pair of all black slip ons and the sole is super glossy and shiny. I tried them on and they didn’t feel the same either. Wish I had stocked up on older models before the switch.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 11:29:26 PM »
I don't know how you skate but I can't get my soles to blow out and the uppers last way longer than the pro line did if I get suede. I honestly left mine at local parks just so I can justify skating a new pair. The thicker rubber of the pros would always burn through quickly while the new sole is slippery at first but once skated through the initial layer, wears down more gradually. The old insole would also feel like marshmallows after a few weeks. I enjoy the new thinner insole and the hard shank in the sole gives me more support. I guess everyone looks for different things in shoes.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 880
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 12:02:02 AM »
Vans are my favourite shoes but had so many quality control issues over the years. Size 13 shoes but they've got size 12 or 11 insoles in them. Had a couple pairs of halfcab pros where the waffle sole is so much smaller than the upper that the white side foxing was basically under the shoe. Haven't even bothered to try the newest ones because they are about $150-$180 in aus and Nike's now are only $120

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 02:07:27 AM »
They're ok... They use an uncomfortable amount of canvas though. Talk about shrinkflation.

eSK3

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 02:37:40 AM »
I wouldn’t agree. I got a pair of the 92 half cabs and the quality is really good. They took like hella hours of walking and then rolling/flexing them up over and over to get them to break in faster. I was very surprised. Vans usually bag out on me within days. I’m also glad they took some rubber off the toe, it was impossible to find my flick on the pro series cause I never skate my shoe to any really worn down state. These it seem just right imo.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 06:32:56 AM »
I wouldn’t agree. I got a pair of the 92 half cabs and the quality is really good. They took like hella hours of walking and then rolling/flexing them up over and over to get them to break in faster. I was very surprised. Vans usually bag out on me within days. I’m also glad they took some rubber off the toe, it was impossible to find my flick on the pro series cause I never skate my shoe to any really worn down state. These it seem just right imo.

I bought a pair of 92s in may? Been wearing them and can't seem to get them to break in.
They are stiff af
I legitimately might have to microwave them. Throwing in new insoles next week when they arrive, popcush hurting my feet.
The stiff heel is stronger but it makes me walk around like cowboy boots clompin around
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1955
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 06:41:05 AM »
The break in time is certainly longer but I think the new ones are a vast improvement. I used to skate the Old Skool Pros almost exclusively and they broke in fast, but they also lost their form much faster than the new ones.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 06:49:50 AM »
The break in time on the toe rubber is longer for me because there is more but I've had 5 pairs of Half Cabs, Rowan's, and Old Skools and they have all been super durable. I've had the soles wear out before any rips or holes in the upper and they hold their form for the life of the shoe.

I've worn vans for 25 years straight and they've had less QC issues for me than Cons and lasted longer than any Nike or NB so maybe my luck is good. They're thin vulcs you can't expect much to begin with.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 343
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 06:52:45 AM »
I'm always suspicious when a shoe feels broken in right away so the new Vans are actually good for the first time in a long time.

skatebruh

• Rep: 32
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 06:58:22 AM »
My only problem with Vans is the inside of the heel will blow out from slipping the shoe on and off.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 670
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2022, 06:59:34 AM »
My experience is that they are slightly superior
Same reasons as above

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 07:42:49 AM »
I got Half Cab pros just before the skate line and they’re like floppy slippers but with jagged bits inside.

The skate line Eras are rigid but mostly comfy but feel well built to me.

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2022, 11:02:23 AM »
My experience couldn't have been more different from OP's. The Pro's were unwearably floppy in the sole, and the uppers would bag out pretty much immediately. I had multiple quality control issues on pairs that I had as well (outsole separating from the foxing, foxing separating from the upper, etc.). Other than the slip ons (which are not shaped to fit a human foot), I have found every shoe I've tried from the Skate line to be a vast improvement over its Pro equivalent.

They're definitely different, so you're probably not going to like them if you liked the Pro line, but I *hated* the Pro line.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 317
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2022, 11:27:24 AM »
chiming in that I agree with most that the new skate line is much better than the pro classics. i've been running the 92 halfcabs (Reynolds colorway) in my shoe rotation since April. no bald spots on the bottom yet which is quite surprising as vans soles typically would last just 1 month in the past. the wafflecup soles get bald pretty fast though btw

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2022, 12:49:47 PM »
I love the new Skate line.  They've been noticeably more durable than the previous pro line for me.

Get hungry on it!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2022, 01:12:02 PM »
chiming in that I agree with most that the new skate line is much better than the pro classics. i've been running the 92 halfcabs (Reynolds colorway) in my shoe rotation since April. no bald spots on the bottom yet which is quite surprising as vans soles typically would last just 1 month in the past. the wafflecup soles get bald pretty fast though btw

The Wafflecup was from the Pro days. I think only the Rowan got the Slick Stick rubber on it but it too has the older Popcush.

I've got the same Reynolds and had the same experience with Waffle Cup soles. Crockett Highs are great for a while, but don't last for me especially the sole in the flick area.

MC3

• Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »
I much prefer the new skate line to the pro versions. I hated the pro insoles with a passion, way too high in the heel and stiff. The popcush still aren't perfect, but I no longer feel the need to switch them out to something else.

My biggest complaint is the reworked heel on the Slip-On. Super pointy and painful at the collar. It eventually breaks in but I had to resort to wearing bandaids under my socks for the first week of wearing them. It's no longer a problem but really weird.

The shiny sole is certainly different, but it's really only an aesthetic choice. I like them but I know a lot of people aren't fans. In the end it doesn't matter, cuz if dulls out pretty quick, even just wearing them around and not skating them.

The Half cabs feel like a cupsole when new to me, and not in a bad way.
(Cool Trick GIF)

Rocko

• Rep: 39
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2022, 02:09:08 PM »
As a bunch of people mentioned above, the skate slip on is a bitch to break in. Once it is broken in it doesn’t lose its shape as fast as the slip on pro did tho.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2022, 02:29:50 PM »
Gonna hit you with unpopular opinion

Both are the same exact shit

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -138
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2022, 03:46:24 PM »
The shoes are without a doubt more durable, but the same issues with sole delamination as PRO line.  Although insole is less bulky, fit in their sk8 classics line has less width and depth than before, making the fit more uncomfortable than ever before. If you have even a remotely wide foot, good luck getting into anything but a half-cab.
big texas cummer

Captain No Cab

• Rep: 20
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2022, 04:32:50 PM »
Completely agree that the half cabs are a big improvement, I’ve been knocking around in the Reynolds 92’s and their beyond comfy and durable as hell.

My old go to’s were the Pro authentic’s/ Old school pro, and while the authentic suede definitely bagged out quick, the canvas models usually kept their shape longer and didn’t  shred up too quickly (at least the way I skate). I just bought a new pair of the canvas authentics, and besides the problems everyone shared above, they just felt and looked like Vans had slapped a phatty insole into a normal pair of authentics.

In saying that though, I did really enjoy skating the new AVE pro when I could cop on sale, otherwise definitely could not validate spending that amount of money on a pair of shoes. 
If you sk8, you know, when you bite into that spring-roll

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 182
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2022, 04:33:41 PM »
Anyone fuck with the wayvees?  Just started on a pair of Tysons and besides looking like the colorway of a 14 year old who just discovered weed, the fit is really good.  Widest vans shoe I could find…

DERBY

• Rep: 304
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2022, 04:44:05 PM »
Anyone fuck with the wayvees?  Just started on a pair of Tysons and besides looking like the colorway of a 14 year old who just discovered weed, the fit is really good.  Widest vans shoe I could find…

currently on a set of the justin henry ones and nah i personally ain’t with it

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2022, 05:14:51 PM »
I had bad luck with the vans pros but skated the slip on pros religiously for years. I'd have the sole pop out the bottom and sometimes the rubber would just wear away way too fast. skated nike and cons for years cause it always felt like they lasted longer.

snagged a pair of the vans slip on "skate" or whatever, I like them. I feel like the quality is better than the pros. suede and rubber holding up alot better. they feel like I'm used to once broken in, and they fixed that shit with the elastic where you'd catch and blow it out. I think they moved it because I haven't hit yet on the last pair I've bought.

after playing the sizing game with nike and cons (moreso cons than nike) and dealing w/ blisters and shit I like vans. feels good. Adidas always made my feet hurt and idk why. vans feel the best for me.

left knee cap

• Rep: 117
  • $$$$
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2022, 06:12:03 PM »
my only gripe with the new skate line is that sometimes half cabs split on the back after repeated use. i've tried to prevent it by undoing/redoing the laces every time i take them on and off. didn't have that problem with the old ones.