Author Topic: Tyshawn Jones and the Obstacle Clearing Controversy by Judy Blume  (Read 19779 times)

everythingisgreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -130
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
For real though- can this dude catch a break? Lol

So much controversy about his Nollie flip straight over the can- did he clear it? Why or why not?

And now his switch Ollie over the table longways- claims of not clearing the table- so same question, did it count? why or why not?

make your case for it either way…

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -146
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
Re: Tyshawn Jones and the Obstacle Clearing Controversy by Judy Blume
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 04:39:14 PM »
What would Andrew Reynolds do?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 801
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 04:54:57 PM »
What would Andrew Reynolds do?

Spray paint his car’s wheels all black

nothing's been the since same

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 05:04:51 PM »
He’s setting the bar so high that criticism is inevitable.

IMO the switch ollie counted. He went over the corner from what I saw. The nollie flip wasn’t an issue either. I didn’t even really notice a bonk on the ollie over to switch nosegrind.

We always focus on the little things and demand perfection in skating, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but reaching is reaching.

Also what’s up Judy, thank you for your contributions to children’s literature, helping to grow minds.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »
I feel like skaters of his calibre and status would re-do tricks if there was an issue. If it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me.

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 05:54:30 PM »
The switch Ollie counts no doubt.

It is sick beyond belief no matter what.

I only wonder if there are bails where he tried to go straight all the way and couldn’t make it, it wouldn’t change my mind, I float frontside on my switch Ollies naturally, but would be interesting to see.

billyerlife

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 06:36:06 PM »
He fell to the frontside side of the table and bonked his wheel on the rail. I don't really give a shit, he's still way better than everyone else, but it is weird for such an incredible skater to include such things. Here's a couple a screenshots, rail one isn't going to change any minds, but the switch ollie thing is pretty blatant.

Kumiko

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 06:43:06 PM »
Some people just want to hate on him so they'll find whatever nitpicky thing they can and blow it out of proportion. He shreds at an insane level. If you find yourself bothered by his skating you need to reevaluate what you even like about skating in the first place. He's incredible. Just admit it and enjoy the footage. It doesn't have to be complicated.
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 06:45:57 PM »
Some people just want to hate on him so they'll find whatever nitpicky thing they can and blow it out of proportion. He shreds at an insane level. If you find yourself bothered by his skating you need to reevaluate what you even like about skating in the first place. He's incredible. Just admit it and enjoy the footage. It doesn't have to be complicated.
Gnarred

dannyprovolone

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 06:56:46 PM »

uh...thats not how it works

Kumiko

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 07:05:33 PM »
Yeah it is.
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 07:16:52 PM »
It doesn't have to be complicated.

The Slap message board would not exist if this were the case.

The board exists because it thrives on the complications.

Embrace it or be gone.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 07:17:03 PM »
I didn’t notice the nose bonk. I’ll have to rewatch. Tyshawn often drifts to the side or next to obstacles when he goes over stuff. I can’t do it but I think for a professional that so many on slap praise everything he does that at his level he’d re do it to more or less to  undoubtedly no questions asked have  it. He is known for his pop and he’s trying to one up himself and is kinda cutting corners to do so. I’d rather seen him hit a small bump and clear than go over the corner.

Kumiko

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2022, 07:23:40 PM »
Embrace it or be gone.

I'll do neither.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 07:33:15 PM »
remember when AO didn’t clear the table at all? initial pop or landing? tj did it switch and his weight carried him a way he couldn’t control. no one complaining could even give these one attempt so the best for everyone to do is shut up and watch

everythingisgreat

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 07:42:57 PM »
remember when AO didn’t clear the table at all? initial pop or landing? tj did it switch and his weight carried him a way he couldn’t control. no one complaining could even give these one attempt so the best for everyone to do is shut up and watch

Really about Alex Olson? You talking Pretty Sweet?

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 07:55:41 PM »
It seems that a lot of people on here don’t really understand how geometry works. If he didn’t make the whole table, where do you think he’s landing? He didn’t fall short and then the seat and corner of table dematerialised so he could go through them and roll away. Draw a rectangle and then add two narrower rectangles on either side and draw an aerial view, two dimensional diagram of how you think he didn’t clear it. Show us the path you think the switch ollie took that doesn’t make the whole table, because I’m super confused by what people think he’s doing wrong.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

whagman

• Rep: -14
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 08:02:27 PM »
you guys unload big fat cum shots all over yr computers when max palmer nose bonks a cone (me too), but when tyshawn does it, it invalidates just entire part? the fact that he nose bonked and still got it makes the trick way cooler.

you college dweebs need to get off your computers and kick rocks.

he cleared the table

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 08:06:10 PM »
The switch Ollie was probably my favorite trick from the part. I get that his trajectory shifted forward but he still clears it. He must’ve done the trick more than once as well. He’s got a completely different fit on from the video and the cover.

everythingisgreat

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 08:17:30 PM »
It seems that a lot of people on here don’t really understand how geometry works. If he didn’t make the whole table, where do you think he’s landing? He didn’t fall short and then the seat and corner of table dematerialised so he could go through them and roll away. Draw a rectangle and then add two narrower rectangles on either side and draw an aerial view, two dimensional diagram of how you think he didn’t clear it. Show us the path you think the switch ollie took that doesn’t make the whole table, because I’m super confused by what people think he’s doing wrong.

Best argument so far

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 08:27:37 PM »
Skateboarding is a game of inches.

Also, after the nollie flip controversy, don't you think he aimed this switch ollie perfectly just to get everyone talking?  Brilliant.

"Are you there, Tyshawn?"

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 08:37:05 PM »

The 2 narrower rectangles you are talking about are also lower than the big rectangle. That’s the issue. By your example not talking about height your saying you’d be just as impressed by him switch olling an empty parking spot long ways? No. The height makes it impressive drifting over to the bench side means if he didn’t drift he would have possible clipped the table and not landed it. That’s the issue. It’s like saying I Ollie next to a fire hydrant and clear it it counts? It doesn’t. It’s not over it. That’s the issue.

I say this as a fan of tyshawn. But I ain’t sucking his dick like some of y’all.

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 08:46:29 PM »

I think you're overcomplicating things. It's completely plausible that he went to the side early, not clearing the tabletop, but still wasn't low enough to clip the seat.

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 09:06:32 PM »
I think we need to have independent referees that go with the skater and approve the trick, so we can just settle these arguments once and for all.

Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 09:20:32 PM »
this is what it looked like to me. A is where he ollied and B is where he landed.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 09:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really about Alex Olson? You talking Pretty Sweet?
as much as i love him yes alex olson in pretty sweet

truthislie

• Rep: 60
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2022, 09:33:24 PM »
Slap when someone skates 100% perfectly: What an Olympian robot jock!

Slap when someone bonks a bit, goes sideways….: His whole part doesn’t count! Should have just redone it.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 187
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 09:36:18 PM »
this is what it looked like to me. A is where he ollied and B is where he landed.

The guy who made the grassy knoll comparison nailed it.  This is some hilariously obsessive shit.  It’s a matter of inches.  My counterpoint to all the people who say skating isn’t a sport is all this dumb criticism, it’s just like instant replay debates in football.  Tyshawn framed the trick perfectly and that’s all there is to it.  Showing multiple angles would have been super lame.  The way he did it was sick and having a microscopic viewpoint of his landing and linear path is some fried ESPN shit

Sightunseen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2022, 09:41:15 PM »
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 09:51:52 PM »
I dunno, it's weird. I feel the pros I most respect for would have got it absolutely clean, but that table was on a short trip and not like it was unheard of for more sketchy tricks from skaters to be shown in older videos in the era people idealize. Do, I wish he went back and got it clean? Absolutely. But, it's still an insane clip, just not perfect.