Author Topic: Nyjah for SOTY  (Read 35534 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3420
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Nyjah for SOTY
« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2022, 09:16:03 AM »
Calculated, to me, doesn't necessarily mean "bad". In fact, in this case, there's no chance in hell I'm going to say that the skating on display here is not top notch. OBVIOUSLY everyone plans nearly everything especially in regards to working through a trick.

It's when a part feels like it was assembled from a spreadsheet that cross-references "chances to be named SOTY" with "exotic/crazy locations" and "NBD?" that it begins to feel obnoxious.

Editing may honestly have more to do with it than anything else. When EVERY. SINGLE. TRICK. hits on the downbeat of the song being used, it's honestly fucking lame and boring and feels like we're watching a video premiere on Total Request Live with Carson Daily.

I can't believe this is that hard of a concept to grasp, quite honestly.

For reference, see Suciu. The skating is fucking amazing and groundbreaking, but there's absolutely no sense of the person being in the moment. It's a style and I simply said it's not for me. No reason to get all upset over an opinion.

Go listen to some Sun Ra and then go listen to something on your local contemporary adult smooth jazz station. One of these things will feel calculated to the point of having literally no soul. Nyjah is contemporary adult smooth jazz.

skunty

• Rep: 75
« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2022, 09:34:31 AM »
chiming into the "calculated" debate - progressing what's possible on a skateboard has been valued in the culture, but another equally important thing has been style. progressing what's possible is a fairly easy calculation, just add more difficulty. style is not like that. Gustav has style, Suciu is a progression master. The Z-boys had style and the people doing the most 360s were progressing what's possible. Hosoi had style and Hawk was progressing the tricks.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 69
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #302 on: November 30, 2022, 11:01:04 AM »
Calculated, to me, doesn't necessarily mean "bad". In fact, in this case, there's no chance in hell I'm going to say that the skating on display here is not top notch. OBVIOUSLY everyone plans nearly everything especially in regards to working through a trick.

It's when a part feels like it was assembled from a spreadsheet that cross-references "chances to be named SOTY" with "exotic/crazy locations" and "NBD?" that it begins to feel obnoxious.

Editing may honestly have more to do with it than anything else. When EVERY. SINGLE. TRICK. hits on the downbeat of the song being used, it's honestly fucking lame and boring and feels like we're watching a video premiere on Total Request Live with Carson Daily.

For reference, see Suciu. The skating is fucking amazing and groundbreaking, but there's absolutely no sense of the person being in the moment. It's a style and I simply said it's not for me. No reason to get all upset over an opinion.

Go listen to some Sun Ra and then go listen to something on your local contemporary adult smooth jazz station. One of these things will feel calculated to the point of having literally no soul. Nyjah is contemporary adult smooth jazz.

You could’ve just said “to every Ying there is a Yang, to every gadnabit there is a dang.” And we would have grasped your concept much sooner.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #303 on: November 30, 2022, 04:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can a person be SOTY if they
- do the worst fakie shuv in a line?
- include a clip that shows how poorly they can backside powerslide, despite being the “best” skater out there?
- bring their own cute little wedge ramp to skate a rail?
- blatantly knock down a photographer’s flash after landing a trick at clipper?
- claim in an old interview “that skateboarding is not for girls at all. Not one bit.”

He’s skilled, but intolerable. I doubt I’ll ever watch that part again. I’d love to see anyone else win soty.
[close]

I doubt that the photographers getting paid to shoot nyjah have to worry about things like flashes falling over to be honest
[close]

Maybe he’ll help out the photographer for the gear. It’s still an asshole move to break good equipment.
[close]

I guarantee he'd buy the photographer a new flash. On his IG story a few months ago, he accidentally ran over some kids iPhone that he left on the ground. Nyjah went out of his way to buy the kid a new one the same day.

The people bringing up a quote from 10 years ago just shows people are grasping at anything to invalidate this guy. His style isn't my cup of tea either but I want him to win based on his skating, not his lifestyle.
[close]

Someone out of frame could've been sitting there and caught it before it hit the ground as well. People really grasping at straws to hate nigel.

Third slide

Also claiming nollie heel back noseblunt but wasn’t feeling it

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3420
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #304 on: November 30, 2022, 04:38:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You could’ve just said “to every Ying there is a Yang, to every gadnabit there is a dang.” And we would have grasped your concept much sooner.

James always in with the common sense business. I need to stop posting immediately after my coffee enema.

50 Lions

• Rep: -57
« Reply #305 on: November 30, 2022, 04:39:09 PM »
why did he skate to everyday i'm hustling and wear all those shorts.

Why do you care? He is grown man, most people stop caring wha other people think in their teens

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #306 on: November 30, 2022, 08:12:55 PM »
Was it a dick move to knock over the light? Yeah. Did he probably give the guy money to buy a new one or a better one? I’d think so. Kid’s socially awkward and a bit airheaded but he doesn’t come across as an asshole who wouldn’t admit he broke the light.

IpathCats

« Reply #307 on: December 01, 2022, 05:58:17 AM »
I feel like the word "forced" could be used in place of "calculated" in this discussion.

At least i feel like thats what people are getting at.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #308 on: December 01, 2022, 06:07:28 AM »
I just wish Nyjah had the ass to match those outfits.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Pohlschmitton

• Rep: 0
« Reply #309 on: December 01, 2022, 04:02:44 PM »
Im convinced he only wears shorts and leggings because no pants go with his shoes

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #310 on: December 01, 2022, 04:40:29 PM »
Im convinced he only wears shorts and leggings because no pants go with his shoes

Imagine them paired with some big boys lol

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 147
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #311 on: December 01, 2022, 04:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
nyjah is an undeniably good skateboarder but he is so fucking boring to watch like jesus christ how can you make skating so fucking uninteresting
[close]

Yeah his style is to generic and he's to lightweight to look like hes doing anything

Its odd

This. It's why I have zero interest re-watching any of his parts and could barely make it through the latest one. 12 fucking minutes!? I don't care if they're all "bangers" and "enders," it was 95% rail clips and I just glazed over. That's not even taking his style into consideration, which really seals the deal.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

Phao Lo

• Rep: 56
« Reply #312 on: December 01, 2022, 11:06:07 PM »

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #313 on: December 02, 2022, 12:02:00 AM »
Don’t want to comment on his fits, style or „personality“ I understand if some makes jokes about it, or don’t feeling it. I watch all his parts 2-3 times to understand fully what he have done.
But then never again - it’s not fun / inspiring to watch his parts.

But everyone who ever jumped on rail or >8 stairs will have respect what Njyah is doing with his skateboard.
He is delivering since nearly 2 decades since he is a very little kid gnarliest top shelf skateboarding.
Skateboarding never was about biggest, highest, fastest or „best“, - it was always about personality and style.
But we shoud keep in mind that skateboarding „best„ never received the full respect of the Szene in there active career: Hawk, Mullen, Chris Cole, Daewon Song,
all of them where shittalked because of lacking style / personality- because they where busy focusing on giving there best skateboarding ever and pushing boundaries.

We - as skateboarders- are having a shit talking  culture.

Never a Nyjah fan - but he belong on this best ever list.
And people in 20 years will not gave fuck about his shorts / quotes as a teenager.

Even Hosoi become retrospective a style icon - and nobody woud rock his fits from the 80s. His zebra spandex where much heavier then everything Nyjah or Tyshawn woud ever where in public space.
Sometimes his father need to shut up him - because he was talking such BS.
But at the end of the career - your output in skateboarding will last. And there are not manny able do outdo Nyjah on this silly game we call skateboarding.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #314 on: December 02, 2022, 01:13:11 AM »
Nyjah is like the Brazzers of skating.
Extremely hard and robotic shit with some modifications

crunchydank

• Rep: 9
« Reply #315 on: December 02, 2022, 01:40:09 AM »
So far I’ve noticed a massive lack of Nyjah’s asscheeks photoshopped onto anything in this thread..

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #316 on: December 02, 2022, 03:29:09 PM »
No thanks. He takes pictures with cops.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

donny2chugs

« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2022, 09:27:39 PM »
Choosing SOTY is usually a completely subjective decision. Not this year. Nyjah is objectively skater of the year. I honestly think anyone who doesn't agree is lying or doesn't understand skateboarding.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
« Reply #318 on: December 02, 2022, 09:35:23 PM »
Man I could not listen to Steveo's voice for more than 1 minute  holy hell.

donny2chugs

« Reply #319 on: December 02, 2022, 10:37:23 PM »
Man I could not listen to Steveo's voice for more than 1 minute  holy hell.
“Skateboards are a device that weeds out the quitters and pussies”. -Steve O
At least he makes me feel cool for having skated for two decades now

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #320 on: December 03, 2022, 12:04:05 AM »

Even Hosoi become retrospective a style icon - and nobody woud rock his fits from the 80s. His zebra spandex where much heavier then everything Nyjah or Tyshawn woud ever where in public space.
Did you see Hosoi skate? its objectively very stylish. Tyshawn dresses like shit too but its less noticable because his skating just looks so good.
i dont really care about SOTY anymore, giving the prize to Nyjah would kill it off and end it for real, he doesnt represent skating the way Thrasher portrays it at all and giving it to him would just be the final nail for the tradition aspect of the award.
Half of his footage is on Element boards, thats probably all of his footage from the last few years or everything he saved up for Ty's documentary, its not like this is the year where he ripped most. its just the year his sponsors decided to push hard for SOTY.

Backfootnofoot

• Rep: 15
« Reply #321 on: December 03, 2022, 12:11:15 AM »
Just for a second, let’s set aside the SOTY question and move on to more important matters.

Out of Nyjah, Tyshawn, and T-Funk…who has the worst fits?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #322 on: December 03, 2022, 09:38:19 AM »
Just for a second, let’s set aside the SOTY question and move on to more important matters.

depends on who you are and also who cares because louie is about to come through with the best fits

håkanhellström

• Rep: -49
« Reply #323 on: December 03, 2022, 10:10:11 AM »
What was king jahs last clip with jeans?

diplodocus

• Rep: 170
  • long neck
« Reply #324 on: December 03, 2022, 02:17:17 PM »
the way someone dresses isn’t make or break. tricks first and foremost

quadcuff

• Rep: -6
« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2022, 03:48:05 PM »
fakie big spin switch bs noseblunt was pretty tasteful actually

Backfootnofoot

• Rep: 15
« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2022, 05:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
depends on who you are and also who cares because louie is about to come through with the best fits

Can’t argue with this at all.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 69
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2022, 05:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Can’t argue with this at all.

Now that I’ve seen more I feel more comfortable saying it’s Jahs. Also calling yourself “king” isn’t aging well in my deformed brain. But that nollie 3flip got me pooping my pants. Can’t wait to see what louie does though.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #328 on: December 03, 2022, 06:20:06 PM »
What was king jahs last clip with jeans?

I really want the answer now please

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2022, 07:09:44 PM »
It's Nyjah week over at the Berrics. SOTYs dont fuck with Berrics plain and simple. End of discussion