Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 44972 times)

pile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2023, 10:17:33 AM »
this was my first introduction to ted degros after receiving a copy of monke madness at slam city jam when I purchased a god awful monke deck. I was new to skating and had no clue that boards came in different sizes, I think I got a 7.4 and it was brutal. the video made up for it though because it had great parts from ted and russ Milligan, and a pretty awesome friends section.

I think ted is like 15-16 during this video? not totally sure how to embed Vimeo but it's worth a watch if you're a ted fan.

https://vimeo.com/98234102

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2023, 11:33:36 AM »

Coldcut

• Rep: 34
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2023, 02:27:50 PM »
It's always a pleasure to see and hear the gearmadness! I call it techfire for 40+ :)
*mmmh his suggestions plus my personal techfire. Fits*

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2023, 02:38:01 PM »
His channel is a documentary on full blown gear madness and I'm loving every minute of it.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2023, 03:23:18 PM »
His channel is a documentary on full blown gear madness and I'm loving every minute of it.
That’s all it is. I think even he admitted in a recent video that none of it matters cause he usually lands all his tricks. The only thing that matters to me is trucks and wheels. Anything 8.25-8.6 with a 14.25-14.5 wheelbase and a medium concave works for me. But I need Indys and F4s on my main setup.

420beers

• Rep: 6
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2023, 04:32:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are Ben's videos such a warm cozy safety net? Why are they such sweet lullabies. I am traumatized. But why do I need to hear the voice of a well mannered skate man to calm me down. Why am I here. :(
[close]

I think it’s his voice partially. He’s very calm and measured and seems like a genuinely good person who’s been through some shit and come out the other end better
[close]

Yeah, I appreciate how frank he is about having been a drug addict and getting clean.

where does he talk about this stuff?

OhioGuy

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2023, 04:37:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are Ben's videos such a warm cozy safety net? Why are they such sweet lullabies. I am traumatized. But why do I need to hear the voice of a well mannered skate man to calm me down. Why am I here. :(
[close]

I think it’s his voice partially. He’s very calm and measured and seems like a genuinely good person who’s been through some shit and come out the other end better
[close]

Yeah, I appreciate how frank he is about having been a drug addict and getting clean.
[close]

https://youtu.be/jYmNUY46P3Y

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2023, 04:38:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Beat me to it lol

Pressed post and here it was

From what I remember he only did weed but I watched that video long ago so I might be wrong

OhioGuy

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2023, 04:49:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

From what I remember he only did weed but I watched that video long ago so I might be wrong
He mentions alcohol too. I know some folks don’t view weed smokers as addicts, but they can be if they’re smoking everyday and putting off their responsibilities to do so. Which he admits to doing. Glad he kicked the habit. Skating high sounds like a nightmare to me. I hate to see pros glorifying it.

Like someone like Kader is amazing, but I think he’d be better if he didn’t smoke and trained like an athlete. Young skaters should take care of their bodies.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2023, 04:51:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

[close]
He mentions alcohol too. I know some folks don’t view weed smokers as addicts, but they can be if they’re smoking everyday and putting off their responsibilities to do so. Which he admits to doing. Glad he kicked the habit. Skating high sounds like a nightmare to me. I hate to see pros glorifying it.

Like someone like Kader is amazing, but I think he’d be better if he didn’t smoke and trained like an athlete. Young skaters should take care of their bodies.

He actually mentions being addicted to "heavy drugs" in multiple videos. He never specified it further though

OhioGuy

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2023, 04:54:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

[close]

[close]

He actually mentions being addicted to "heavy drugs" in multiple videos. He never specified it further though
Okay, that makes sense too. Which makes his recovery even the more impressive. He probably could’ve been better than his bother if he never did all that stuff.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2023, 04:59:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

[close]

I saw a post on the alt-insta account of Kader's where the caption said something like tapped out finally. And he had a story showing he hadn«t smoked for 15 days or something

Guess we'll have to wait and see the transformation. How much more beast can he be???

OhioGuy

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2023, 05:02:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

[close]

[close]

I saw a post on the alt-insta account of Kader's where the caption said something like tapped out finally. And he had a story showing he hadn«t smoked for 15 days or something

Guess we'll have to wait and see the transformation. How much more beast can he be???
Lol nice! I know a bunch of pros do it, so I wasn’t trying to come down hard on him. It’s just that he’s still young and hasn’t peaked yet. I think the youngins should save the weed until their mid 30s and washed up 😂

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2023, 05:22:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I was going to mention this but wasn't sure I remembered it correctly and didn't want to slander a good man's name. Ben has obviously always been a talented skater but not sure substances held him back necessarily. I think Ted was just a natural prodigy type. That's in regard to one of OhioGuy's posts also since I'm getting a little squirrely with my replies and am dealing with my own addictions...

OhioGuy

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2023, 05:24:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I was going to mention this but wasn't sure I remembered it correctly and didn't want to slander a good man's name. And Ben has obviously always been a talented skater but not sure substances held him back necessarily. I think Ted was just a natural prodigy type.
Yeah that could be true. And either way, Ben seems to be doing well. I ran into his skate videos first then was surprised to see he had a carpentry channel with 400k subscribers 😲

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2023, 10:05:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Beat me to it lol

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I was going to mention this but wasn't sure I remembered it correctly and didn't want to slander a good man's name. Ben has obviously always been a talented skater but not sure substances held him back necessarily. I think Ted was just a natural prodigy type. That's in regard to one of OhioGuy's posts also since I'm getting a little squirrely with my replies and am dealing with my own addictions...

Rooting for you. You've got this.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2023, 12:42:15 PM »
Ben's checking out Nyjah's board shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRcNFchXcs
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2023, 12:49:41 PM »

OhioGuy

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2023, 02:55:34 PM »
Don’t know why anyone would be shocked that Nyjah’s boards are good lol. This isn’t aimed at Ben, just at the Nyjah haters. Of course his gear is legit. Look at the shit he does 😅

LebowskisRug

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2023, 05:46:02 PM »
Disorder team video, boards, and graphics are better than King at this point. Joke is on the SOTY winner.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2023, 06:25:33 PM »
He's skating so well these days!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2023, 06:51:15 PM »
How does a flat, skinnyish PS board not just snap immediately? Guess it's about talent.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2023, 08:05:34 PM »
The Quasi Proto is a flat PS board and the two I had lasted forever it felt.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2023, 02:05:26 AM »
Love how he checks the pitch on the kicks. What a legend
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Pastasash

• Rep: 61
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2023, 06:30:58 AM »
dudes flatground is impeccable, must be so nice to land that many tricks especially at that age, so many of them looked so effortless too and this guy was injured not that long ago
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 07:37:48 AM by Pastasash »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2023, 06:42:11 AM »
It's pretty funny to be constantly obsessing about every little detail of your setup and then just be able to hop onto any board with any trucks and do a switch tre.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2023, 07:33:18 AM »
I think there's a lesson for all of us in your last statement. I've got a friend that's about Ben's ability levels except younger and doesn't skate as much anymore. Was humbling the day we hopped on my board in Adidas running shoes and busted out a popped nollie tre first try and then said "your board feels great, trucks are a bit off"

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2023, 10:43:56 AM »
look at erick winkowski setup. cant tell me that is optimal and that guy shreds. pro af. wearing emericas too haha.
he would skate way better on nigel's setup! but that is part of his appeal i think is that he is like this old soul in a young dudes body type thing.
i watched corey duffell get pins pulled out of his toes on instragram this morning. he said a lot was a result of bad footwear
ONTARIO CANADA

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2023, 02:31:56 PM »
look at erick winkowski setup. cant tell me that is optimal and that guy shreds. pro af. wearing emericas too haha.
he would skate way better on nigel's setup! but that is part of his appeal i think is that he is like this old soul in a young dudes body type thing.
i watched corey duffell get pins pulled out of his toes on instragram this morning. he said a lot was a result of bad footwear

Duffel’s fucked up feet deserve a thread of their own.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2023, 02:53:40 PM »
How does a flat, skinnyish PS board not just snap immediately? Guess it's about talent.
He's pretty slim and also its his first session on it from the looks of it. PS usually start sogging out by 2nd or 3rd session. He could also be skating one of the good ones from the batch.