Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 52981 times)

Gunot and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

grassblade

Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2023, 12:35:25 PM »
fuck dan corrigan
fuck john hill
fuck tom asta

fuck all these desperate for attention losers

ben isn’t one of them and never was

OhioGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2023, 12:45:33 PM »
fuck dan corrigan
fuck john hill
fuck tom asta

Tom Asta doesn’t belong in that crowd, not even with Ben. Dude is a legitimate pro and is far from cringe. Put some respect on his name.

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 33
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2023, 12:57:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Only ben can make me watch dan corrigan and also the nine club if he actually gets on.
He liked a few instagram comments about him going there
[close]

I wonder if Ben will get an interview in Thrasher eventually. He seems university respected enough for something like that.
[close]
Would be cool. Do they ever interview YouTubers?

They interview a majority of musicians that no one gives a shit about, I don’t see why not

grassblade

« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2023, 01:03:38 PM »
Expand Quote
fuck dan corrigan
fuck john hill
fuck tom asta

[close]
Tom Asta doesn’t belong in that crowd, not even with Ben. Dude is a legitimate pro and is far from cringe. Put some respect on his name.

if you make 40 minute videos of you skating a ledge with a santa cruz board and eS's

you are cringe

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2023, 04:12:05 PM »
Does anyone know which episode it is where he does noselside nollie heel on that huge curvged ledge in vancouver and ther is some fukced up guy singing "rockstar" by nickelback right as he does it ?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2023, 04:46:55 PM »
Does anyone know which episode it is where he does noselside nollie heel on that huge curvged ledge in vancouver and ther is some fukced up guy singing "rockstar" by nickelback right as he does it ?

8:07

I remember going to to hot spot when I was young and being sketched out by all the junkies and needle disposal things meant to look like flowers...

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2023, 05:45:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuck dan corrigan
fuck john hill
fuck tom asta

[close]
[close]

if you make 40 minute videos of you skating a ledge with a santa cruz board and eS's

you are cringe
Okay, you’re a troll.

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2023, 10:25:56 AM »
fuck dan corrigan
fuck john hill
fuck tom asta

The way some of you guys worship Ben Degros and put him on a pedestal is really strange.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2023, 10:29:23 AM »
This is a case of where people hate thing A but thing B is objectively the same just their specific weird variant of thing A but they create an artificial distinction because they don't want to admit it to themselves.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2023, 10:51:56 AM »
This is a case of where people hate thing A but thing B is objectively the same just their specific weird variant of thing A but they create an artificial distinction because they don't want to admit it to themselves.
Exactly. I think I like Ben cause I also have severe OCD when it comes to shit that really doesn’t matter. In some ways, he’s more kooky than the vlog skaters who never talk about their setups cause most of them just pick something and stick with it and know that’s it’s their fault if they don’t land something, not the gear. Not dissing Ben, but he’s not that much better than the others when you sit down and think about it 😅

apbarbs

• Rep: 50
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2023, 11:34:48 AM »

damn you really thought you made a point here, huh?

you could point to many ways that ben is "objectively" different than most youtubers - his age, his focus on product reviews, his cadence and personality, etc

nice try though

smellymoron69

« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2023, 11:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuck dan corrigan
fuck john hill
fuck tom asta

[close]
[close]

you are cringe

I imagine those companies allow him to have a home, feed his family, etc. Ben Degros is a 40 year old man who wears jorts embroidered with 'Fucking Awesome' ...is that really cooler, or are you just in love with Mr. Wheelbase Logic Carpenter Man?

Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching Ben and think he's a great guy, especially outside of his skateboarding, but it's clear you're being a bit biased here.

As for the '40 minutes of ledge skating' bit, let's be honest, Ben has been doing pretty much the same tricks at the same handful of parks/spots for years, with slight variations and improvements. Tom is on another level. I actually just checked out his YouTube channel for the first time, and there's no cringe bullshit, mostly just really good skating.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2023, 12:27:40 PM »
I’ve found a way to not watch Dan’s vids….and quietly enjoy Tom Asta as a skater but not a vlogger…..it wasn’t too hard….

I’d love to see Ben D hit NYC and get some content with Feedback Ted…..the working man vs the intellect in a game of skate….trades vs. academia…..5 kids vs. a masters degree….

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2023, 12:37:09 PM »
I’d love to see Ben D hit NYC and get some content with Feedback Ted…..the working man vs the intellect in a game of skate….trades vs. academia…..5 kids vs. a masters degree….

Totally. Would be fun to watch. I just wonder if they'd mesh well together, though.

Also, five kids!?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2023, 01:47:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you could point to many ways that ben is "objectively" different than most youtubers - his age, his focus on product reviews, his cadence and personality, etc

nice try though

He is older, but Dan Corrigan also has setup and product testing vids although not as many. I find Ben way less annoying and he's my type of kinda kooky YouTuber, but I think his channel has really run its course.

It was interesting when Ben had videos explaining the differences between gear, but now it's just him circling around his madness. I kinda stopped caring when he was gaslighting himself into riding Indy's because "Vancouver is an Indy city", which one of the dumbest reasons to ride a specific truck. In many ways that's more cringe than YouTubers going out and just filming with friends on the weekend.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2023, 01:48:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally. Would be fun to watch. I just wonder if they'd mesh well together, though.

Also, five kids!?

Given Ted thinks measurements and setup nerdery is one of the dumbest possible things in skating (his words over the years), as long as they kept away from that then it would be interesting. They're about the same age.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2023, 01:55:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

nice try though
[close]

He is older, but Dan Corrigan also has setup and product testing vids although not as many. I find Ben way less annoying and he's my type of kinda kooky YouTuber, but I think his channel has really run its course.

It was interesting when Ben had videos explaining the differences between gear, but now it's just him circling around his madness. I kinda stopped caring when he was gaslighting himself into riding Indy's because "Vancouver is an Indy city", which one of the dumbest reasons to ride a specific truck. In many ways that's more cringe than YouTubers going out and just filming with friends on the weekend.
Yeah, he’s kinda said all that needs to be said when it comes to gear. His setup videos are whatever. I’m sure I’ll see what he has to say about those old Indys that Ace stole their design from lol

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2023, 01:59:36 PM »
Feedback Ted strikes me as one of those dudes who’s not that smart, not dumb, just middling, but he takes himself so fucking seriously so he thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and none of his friends care enough to call him out

Also I’m happy that Ben normalizes old dudes wearing hypebeasty gear like big boy jorts

Tom’s channel is great

LebowskisRug

« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2023, 04:17:47 PM »
I've skated with Ted a number of times and he's just a normal person, very nice dude. The whole IG thing is just "people think I'm super academic about everything because I study art so I'm going to critique things as an art historian would whole subtly roasting them". His Patreon is mostly riffing on skate videos with his own POV and art stuff that he is interested in. Doesn't come off as pretentious or anything negative he puts it out there and people like it. It's probably the most original skate social media if you think about it, or at least the only one of its kind.

VS Ben basically saying a bunch of technical shit about his setup then doing the same tricks as always thus proving he's kinda just making it all up to justify how he feels on the day or week.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2023, 04:47:19 PM »
Yeah feedback Ted had dialed things back considerably which is why I started to see the similarity nice guys and how they navigate their online smuggery……they are both super good too so it would be sick….Ben D could rebuild Tompkins to train….

They are different types of nerds too….they could watch vids and feedback could chop up the outfits while Ben D could breakdown the dudes set up….

Im not sure if Ben D actually has 5 kids…prolly not but a family man for sure. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
VS Ben basically saying a bunch of technical shit about his setup then doing the same tricks as always thus proving he's kinda just making it all up to justify how he feels on the day or week.

After reviewing so much gear, Ben's pretty much said whatever needs to be said about wheelbase / trucks / wheel shapes / concave / deck shapes, whatever. If you've paid enough attention to his videos you can extrapolate what a combination of trucks + deck would do for your setup without having to ask it in every setup. Hence I don't blame him for just setting up flavor of the month board and just riffing, I can rewatch his old videos for the technical stuff.

I do like that his videos have less talking and more skating, makes it perfect for background noise while I work. I've lost track of the times I've replayed the Radial Slim and Indy Titanium videos.

Dan's bag of tricks are deep and weird, but he talks too much in his videos for me to want to have them on in the background.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2023, 06:27:12 PM »
Ya that makes sense. Like I said I still watch Ben and Ted cuz they're my flavor of internet goons, but people on here make weird distinctions to justify their tastes and like, Dan annoys the fuck outta me and the one time he was at the same park in person he was unbearably annoying, but I get why some people might like that content.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2023, 12:19:26 AM »
Yeah feedback Ted had dialed things back considerably which is why I started to see the similarity nice guys and how they navigate their online smuggery……they are both super good too so it would be sick….Ben D could rebuild Tompkins to train….

They are different types of nerds too….they could watch vids and feedback could chop up the outfits while Ben D could breakdown the dudes set up….

Im not sure if Ben D actually has 5 kids…prolly not but a family man for sure.

Last thing I want to watch is anybody talk about outfits
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

manysnakes

« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2023, 07:52:18 AM »
Feedback Ted is my favorite of the "college skaters", the recently emerging brand of skateboarder who - can you believe it - both has a college degree and enjoys a low-status activity such as skateboarding. My sense is that skateboarding through your Masters and Doctoral process was fairly novel among your peers, but of course to the rest of the world this means absolutely nothing.

I actually like Feedback Ted's IG and he seems like a dude I would get along with IRL, but I can't get over how he literally sells a parasocial relationship via Patreon. Seems like a deeply weird and unhealthy thing for someone who has admitted that he has a huge problem with social media, but if it pays the bills then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2023, 08:30:07 AM »
I agree Dan talks way too much and i think he has a bad style. he is pretty rude too which puts me off. he looks like he comes from a long line of truck drivers.

I would like to see Ben travel more. Even if it was just more places around BC. I bet theres a lot of places he hasnt evne skated in Vancouver still on his channel... has he ever skated at the plaza under the bridge? If he has i have never seen that one. But I realize that takes a lot of time out of his day and probably not super condusive to making his time worth while. He had an espide where he took a trip to Victoria and i thought that was really cool.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2023, 06:03:54 PM »
I agree Dan talks way too much and i think he has a bad style. he is pretty rude too which puts me off. he looks like he comes from a long line of truck drivers.

I would like to see Ben travel more. Even if it was just more places around BC. I bet theres a lot of places he hasnt evne skated in Vancouver still on his channel... has he ever skated at the plaza under the bridge? If he has i have never seen that one. But I realize that takes a lot of time out of his day and probably not super condusive to making his time worth while. He had an espide where he took a trip to Victoria and i thought that was really cool.

It appears in at least a handful of his videos

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2023, 03:50:01 PM »

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2023, 04:10:01 PM »

Do you think it could possibly be that thing A and thing B are very different and they just use the same medium (YouTube) to deliver their content? Based on your argument here, thing A (Max Palmer) and thing B (Nyjah) are objectively the same (traditionally sponsored pro skaters skating for smaller board brands, putting out video parts etc.) and people are artificially making distinctions between the two that don’t exist

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #208 on: February 15, 2023, 04:12:32 PM »
Some of ya'll are harsh on some of these dudes to the point where, frankly, it makes you look like you need to talk to someone about your issues.
Dont like em, dont watch em.

They arent so kooky and whack that they're gonna breed generations of kooks everywhere. Plenty of mainstream skateboard companies have done that for us. Snowboarding has that problem with Johnny Fuckhouse, SnowboardProCamp and other dudes. Snowboarding has enough kookage already. It sucks. These guys arent the same.

Dan is whatever, he is who he is, but he's harmless and entertaining if you're ok with watching endless skatepark footage (I'm not) but when he shows up in Keen's stuff or whatever he's good for some laughs. Same with Dale.

Ben is just a good dude. Very Canadian. He's legit just a nice guy and still skateboarding and ripping harder than almost any 40-somethings. Maybe that's real problem here.
ok thanks

smellymoron69

« Reply #209 on: February 15, 2023, 04:16:36 PM »

I'm 10 minutes in and I feel like Prof has talked over Ben about a dozen times.