Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 52958 times)

Kaezan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #390 on: October 07, 2023, 01:16:48 PM »
My favorite skate channel on YouTube. Really a bummer.

I hope he eventually decides to come back or posts a few videos every once in a while.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #391 on: October 07, 2023, 01:22:22 PM »
Damn that sucks, Ben is such a cool insightful guy.  Still, I can’t see myself taking up some childish hobby like drywall just to keep seeing him.

Au revoir Ben

Bupstop

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #392 on: October 07, 2023, 03:40:11 PM »
Damn this is a real bummer. Hope he comes back one day. I’ve always enjoyed his videos.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #393 on: October 07, 2023, 03:49:06 PM »
He was one of the few non-cringe SkateTubers. Seems like you have to be insufferable to blow up on there. And it’s funny he has no desire to skate &&’s deck. That must be awful, throwing away sessions just for content, especially at 40+ years old with bad knees.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #394 on: October 07, 2023, 04:05:47 PM »
damn :(. i found ben’s channel at the start of the pandemic. binged watched every video of his throughout that time. still am in touch with his recent uploads too. as corny as this sounds, shit got me thru the pandemic. thanks ben ❤️

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #395 on: October 07, 2023, 04:39:07 PM »
  legit devastated....damn  :'(

vxbrandon

• Rep: -6
« Reply #396 on: October 07, 2023, 05:42:05 PM »
He was a big reason wny I got back into skating. It was cool seeing an older dude being a skate nerd and rip constantly.
At least we got still all that content!

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #397 on: October 07, 2023, 07:04:51 PM »
My favorite skate channel on YouTube. Really a bummer.

I hope he eventually decides to come back or posts a few videos every once in a while.

This is exactly what he said he would be doing eventually as well as the odd insta post. I guess we'll have to convert to his carpentry channel

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #398 on: October 07, 2023, 07:10:43 PM »
I feel like I just got broken up with.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #399 on: October 07, 2023, 11:55:49 PM »
Ben talking about how weird and wrong a setup felt only to perfectly rattle off each and every flip trick was one of the greatest bits in recent skate content history. Hats off to a real one.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #400 on: October 08, 2023, 01:06:12 AM »
Being a dad who holds a day job, skates at an above average level and also obsesses about gear made him the most relatable personality for older skaters who were getting back into skateboarding. I'm glad he rode that wave of YT popularity, made some money and left with his integrity mostly in check.

He definitely infected everyone on Shoes & Gear a bad case of gear madness, despite which I'm happy that I have a better understanding of why my setup the way it does. Going through that madness has helped many of us narrow down our setups  and dispelled a lot of mystery around the skate industry, specifically on woodshops.

I'll continue to revisit the old wheel and deck reviews if I need some white noise while working.

If you're lurking on here - thanks for the videos Ben.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bill Salt

« Reply #401 on: October 08, 2023, 02:46:45 AM »
We'll see if he really can't handle quitting web activity.In his last sentences he aleready says he'll post on IG and sometimes on YT.The "monster" he fed won't let him go so easily.

manysnakes

« Reply #402 on: October 08, 2023, 06:53:06 AM »
We'll see if he really can't handle quitting web activity.In his last sentences he aleready says he'll post on IG and sometimes on YT.The "monster" he fed won't let him go so easily.

Yeah, you don't have to go back too far in his history to find his "I'm quitting Instagram" video, and now he's back. I imagine we'll get the occasional video with Ben and this is a rather dramatic pronouncement that they won't be coming regularly.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #403 on: October 08, 2023, 07:11:56 AM »
Damn, he basically ended up riding what he was on in the first video. A lesson in gear madness to us all.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 870
« Reply #404 on: October 08, 2023, 07:15:24 AM »
Damn, he basically ended up riding what he was on in the first video. A lesson in gear madness to us all.
Prob wanted to stop posting so he doesn't get clowned when he starts wearing the tiro pants again

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #405 on: October 08, 2023, 07:46:56 AM »
If he ment it, he woulda just stopped posting.  The masculine need to post content I guess. 

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #406 on: October 08, 2023, 01:20:07 PM »
dang, this carpenter can sure skate
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #407 on: October 08, 2023, 04:24:24 PM »
If he ment it, he woulda just stopped posting.  The masculine need to post content I guess.

Or perhaps he wants to say goodbye to his fans and let them know what’s up, rather than just disappear. Based on the posts in this thread and YouTube comments, his videos have meant a lot to people and he’s probably aware of that.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #408 on: October 08, 2023, 04:41:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Or perhaps he wants to say goodbye to his fans and let them know what’s up, rather than just disappear. Based on the posts in this thread and YouTube comments, his videos have meant a lot to people and he’s probably aware of that.

Ben seriously just pulled the "Canadian goodbye" by leaving the party as conscientiously as he possibly could.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #409 on: October 08, 2023, 04:47:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly, it’s not a stretch to say Ben’s content has enriched the lives of many. I started my skating journey later than most, and I wouldn’t be on this site without Ben. He was talking about the woodshop thread, and I got curious and checked this place out.

Just ghosting everyone would’ve been pointless. Especially since he still posts on the drywall channel and IG, why not give a reason why the skate videos are ending?

But I’m happy for him. Skateboarding gear YouTube content isn’t sustainable. There’s a few channels I watched that stopped posting. And let’s be honest, what more is there to say about trucks, decks, and wheels?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #410 on: October 08, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
Damn this is kind of a bummer but I get it. I came across his channel about 5 years ago when I was one of the many 30+ dudes trying to get back into skating. Was awesome to see a localish guy who's last name I recognized from being a big fan of Ted from the North days. Didn't hurt that Ben was a very talented skater himself and a well spoken all around nice seeming fella. I was hoping he'd finish the video about the making of his latest concrete ledge but I guess he's just over it. With his work, other channel and 4(?) kids I can't imagine it's easy to find the time for something you may have lost the passion doing.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #411 on: October 08, 2023, 05:58:34 PM »
Damn this is kind of a bummer but I get it. I came across his channel about 5 years ago when I was one of the many 30+ dudes trying to get back into skating. Was awesome to see a localish guy who's last name I recognized from being a big fan of Ted from the North days. Didn't hurt that Ben was a very talented skater himself and a well spoken all around nice seeming fella. I was hoping he'd finish the video about the making of his latest concrete ledge but I guess he's just over it. With his work, other channel and 4(?) kids I can't imagine it's easy to find the time for something you may have lost the passion doing.

Just a shame we didn't get the Ben and Ted joint part, Ted's North part is beautiful

https://youtu.be/3on2xRnsZdk?si=JQEzlM6hYS0uAtir
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #412 on: October 08, 2023, 07:19:57 PM »
Yeah, that would have been awesome but I don't think Ted skates much these days. At least Ben blessed us with a bit of modern Ted footage in the form of a YouTube short.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/zIpewKkb8GI

WhoCareZ

« Reply #413 on: October 08, 2023, 07:24:09 PM »
He saw that the only way he can get decent views is when he collabs with GH

Upon that realization he decided not to try and keep up with catering to the gen z demographic

He’ll keep posting but only when the stars align on low effort edit + relevant topic for easy views

Basically just told his audience he’s done grinding skate YT for views

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #414 on: October 08, 2023, 08:55:38 PM »
I feel like I just got broken up with.

It’s not you, it’s me.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #415 on: October 08, 2023, 10:53:25 PM »
Dear Benny,

If I saw you in skate heaven
Would you know my name?
 :'(

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: October 12, 2023, 05:33:10 PM »
Nine Club talking about Ben tonight:

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #417 on: October 13, 2023, 12:16:16 AM »
Nine Club talking about Ben tonight:

Haven’t watched nine Club in ages. Thanks for the reminder, what a pile of dog shit that show is.

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 101
« Reply #418 on: October 15, 2023, 05:51:14 PM »
Not skating but its still Ben on his other channel.

🚨🚨ILLEGAL!!!! 👇👇👇🚨🚨

manysnakes

« Reply #419 on: October 30, 2023, 06:14:18 AM »