Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177289 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #510 on: February 03, 2023, 08:47:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Curb-height manny pads are a far superior form of low impact skating than slappies. Idk why old guys love slappies so much, they hurt your knees almost as much as skating flat and they’re only fun if you’re going Mach 5, which creates a pretty high slam risk factor. Way easier to break yourself off skating a curb than a small manny pad. Just doing manny shuv or 180 out is way more fun than pretty much all slappy tricks. Sometimes I think the real reason slappy culture got so intertwined with old dude culture is because it’s the only kind of skating that’s way more fun with a couple of beers in ya
[close]
Notice how the people who do mostly slappys are trash at transition. Skating transition at an older age would actually save your body vs slamming on a curb.
[close]

It doesn't seem like it's possible to really learn new tricks after the age of like 45
Not true. I’ve learned a bunch since turning 45. I just started skating more, that’s the only trick to it.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #511 on: February 03, 2023, 10:50:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Curb-height manny pads are a far superior form of low impact skating than slappies. Idk why old guys love slappies so much, they hurt your knees almost as much as skating flat and they’re only fun if you’re going Mach 5, which creates a pretty high slam risk factor. Way easier to break yourself off skating a curb than a small manny pad. Just doing manny shuv or 180 out is way more fun than pretty much all slappy tricks. Sometimes I think the real reason slappy culture got so intertwined with old dude culture is because it’s the only kind of skating that’s way more fun with a couple of beers in ya
[close]
Notice how the people who do mostly slappys are trash at transition. Skating transition at an older age would actually save your body vs slamming on a curb.
[close]

It doesn't seem like it's possible to really learn new tricks after the age of like 45
[close]
Not true. I’ve learned a bunch since turning 45. I just started skating more, that’s the only trick to it.

Well that's cool. I hope I'm wrong. I have one friend, a true ripper, who is 46 and he seems like he's progressing all the time but whenever he lands something new he'll be like 'damn, first time landing one of them on 10 years' so really he's just maintaining his skill
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #512 on: February 03, 2023, 12:19:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Well that's cool. I hope I'm wrong. I have one friend, a true ripper, who is 46 and he seems like he's progressing all the time but whenever he lands something new he'll be like 'damn, first time landing one of them on 10 years' so really he's just maintaining his skill
I think our stuff just evolves and we tend to have less time to practice what we know. I lose tricks but gain other ones. Skating at this age does have some benefits- my skate brain is better I think. I consider how I’m doing tricks more so sometimes they coke easier.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #513 on: February 03, 2023, 02:47:07 PM »
I’ll hit 50 this year and I’ve definitely landed stuff I could never do before in the last couple years, but there’s no way I’m claiming ‘learned it’. I put in a bunch of time and landed them all horribly but I’m happy with it.  If you’re old…skate the way you want to skate…you earned it, there’s only so much free time in the day.  At the same time, it’s annoying having to listen to dudes claiming ‘it’s the best!’ trying to convince someone who is doing kickflip back tails that nothing beats a solid board slide!  Just be happy you’re at the dinner table….shut up and eat….

Honestly dudes pushing 40 are probably the best skaters ever….kids that grew up on Menikmati, countless hours of skate and learning every trick on the box and flatbar in front of their house. 

Mallie

• Rep: 43
« Reply #514 on: February 03, 2023, 03:15:43 PM »
I'm really not trying to nitpick your argument, but why would Quiksilver be preferable to Red Bull? What value do they add which Red Bull does not?

Oh, they add nothing, can't argue there. But at least they don't peddle disgusting, addictive, caffeine-filled, diabetes- and adhd-inducing waterrd down sugar. Should count for something.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #515 on: February 03, 2023, 03:23:03 PM »
I’ll hit 50 this year and I’ve definitely landed stuff I could never do before in the last couple years, but there’s no way I’m claiming ‘learned it’. I put in a bunch of time and landed them all horribly but I’m happy with it.  If you’re old…skate the way you want to skate…you earned it, there’s only so much free time in the day.  At the same time, it’s annoying having to listen to dudes claiming ‘it’s the best!’ trying to convince someone who is doing kickflip back tails that nothing beats a solid board slide!  Just be happy you’re at the dinner table….shut up and eat….

Honestly dudes pushing 40 are probably the best skaters ever….kids that grew up on Menikmati, countless hours of skate and learning every trick on the box and flatbar in front of their house.
Why not claim you learned it? You put in the work. When I was 19 I’d claim all sorts of barely landed tricks. If anything now I try to get them solid before I claim them.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2261
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #516 on: February 03, 2023, 06:12:49 PM »
If anything now I try to get them solid before I claim them.
Exactly why I never claim anything anymore: my tricks are about as solid as water vapor.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #517 on: February 03, 2023, 08:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote
If anything now I try to get them solid before I claim them.
[close]
Exactly why I never claim anything anymore: my tricks are about as solid as water vapor.
I’ve seen your clips you got some tricks man!

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #518 on: February 04, 2023, 09:22:48 AM »
Skateboarding as an adult is a good hobby and more valid than like getting home from work and playing video games
I did your mom

manysnakes

« Reply #519 on: February 04, 2023, 09:55:12 AM »
Skateboarding as an adult is a good hobby and more valid than like getting home from work and playing video games

And you think that's an unpopular opinion here?

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #520 on: February 04, 2023, 10:15:53 AM »

It’s true. People might think you’re a nerd, but more than likely they just watch sports and don’t play them.

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #521 on: February 04, 2023, 12:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s true. People might think you’re a nerd, but more than likely they just watch sports and don’t play them.

I don't think it's seen as nerdy, more like childish. I catch myself questioning my existence when I go to the skatepark and it's full of 10 yos.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 127
« Reply #522 on: February 04, 2023, 01:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't think it's seen as nerdy, more like childish. I catch myself questioning my existence when I go to the skatepark and it's full of 10 yos.

But is it really so much different than going to the court or a hall and play soccer or basketball with friends or co workers when there are also groups of children?
I have so many colleagues in their 40s or 50s going once or twice a week playing soccer, volleyball, etc. They see the need for a hobby and some physical activity, so they see the appeal   (some of them got in to longboarding during lockdown, so they get it) and gaming is definitely seen as a childish activity.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 104
« Reply #523 on: February 04, 2023, 01:48:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ive had a few friends ask me “are you always the oldest person at the park” or “what’s it like being the oldest person at a skatepark”.  Things that I never really considered until they asked me. I remember being 17 and seeing late thirties guys and thinking it was weird, which is ironic because everyone wants to claim they are in it for life but expect you to not be around when you’re over a certain age, and as a kid you still haven’t hit that age where the odds are against you still skating. Now of course I respect everyone out there trying to skate, doesn’t matter who you are. I still prefer an empty park but sometimes it’s hard to make that time because of life responsibilities. 

My unpopular opinion about this though is that if you are an absolute amazing ripper and killing it at a late age but you have kids and family, maybe you should sacrifice some skate time and skill and focus on your kids. I don’t know your life, but being good at skating takes tons of time and I’d rather enjoy the tiny windows I have to skate than ignore my kids so I can keep up with the joneses skill wise
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:29:32 PM by metchup »

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 63
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #524 on: February 04, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »
Baggy pants are the bellbottoms of the 90s and should not be coming back for an athletic activity like skateboarding.  There’s actually not just baggy pants or skinny pants, there are also, relaxed fit normal pants.

Unpopular opinion indeed. Baggy pants are good. Reynolds’ style looked so much better pre-skinny pants, that’s just one of many examples

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #525 on: February 04, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »

A lot of really senior people in my company have talked in pretty big forums about being gamers…,.

My response is what people say about skating….’yeah….I used to play a lot….if my nephew is playing, I’ll join in..’

I still don’t tell them I skate….

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #526 on: February 04, 2023, 06:28:12 PM »
i’m pushing 30 and still tour in bands. it comes with a lot of caveating

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #527 on: February 04, 2023, 06:48:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ive had a few friends ask me “are you always the oldest person at the park” or “what’s it like being the oldest person at a skatepark”.  Things that I never really considered until they asked me. I remember being 17 and seeing late thirties guys and thinking it was weird, which is ironic because everyone wants to claim they are in it for life but expect you to not be around when you’re over a certain age, and as a kid you still haven’t hit that age where the odds are against you still skating. Now of course I respect everyone out there trying to skate, doesn’t matter who you are. I still prefer an empty park but sometimes it’s hard to make that time because of life responsibilities. 

My unpopular opinion about this though is that if you are an absolute amazing ripper and killing it at a late age but you have kids and family, maybe you should sacrifice some skate time and skill and focus on your kids. I don’t know your life, but being good at skating takes tons of time and I’d rather enjoy the tiny windows I have to skate than ignore my kids so I can keep up with the joneses skill wise
This is good advice. You can always pick it up again later.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #528 on: February 04, 2023, 07:55:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol that shit is so weird. It's astonishing how many adult men there are with no hobbies and they just spend their time outside of work watching sports. I don't know how people live without a passion like skateboarding in their lives.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: February 04, 2023, 09:53:24 PM »
I kinda think this whole….’OMG you still skate!’ Is an over sensitivity of the skater…..it kinda doesn’t happen to me… everyone is more the opposite where they want to talk about it and I’m too cool and just want to talk about pants….

manysnakes

« Reply #530 on: February 05, 2023, 04:48:36 AM »
I kinda think this whole….’OMG you still skate!’ Is an over sensitivity of the skater…..it kinda doesn’t happen to me… everyone is more the opposite where they want to talk about it and I’m too cool and just want to talk about pants….

It's true. As always, no one is thinking about you. They've got their own lives going on. The extent to which I've had ever had other adults comment on my skating in this way, it has been to express that they wish they could (still) skate.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #531 on: February 05, 2023, 05:27:12 AM »
I thought this was unpopular opinions 2023, not let’s circle jerk because we think we’re better than non skaters.

Anyways

I like that there’s a million board companies, and I wish there were a few more.

spiral

• Rep: 2
« Reply #532 on: February 05, 2023, 07:15:55 AM »
Signing waivers to skate rails is not valid

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 104
« Reply #533 on: February 05, 2023, 08:28:11 AM »
I thought this was unpopular opinions 2023, not let’s circle jerk because we think we’re better than non skaters.

Anyways

I like that there’s a million board companies, and I wish there were a few more.

I like the small companies like business and company, TOPX, Chico stix, brainchild, Wray bros etc.  I want to buy your shit just let me know as much as possible about the shape

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: February 05, 2023, 08:32:53 AM »
Aren’t you in San Diego? It might be different here. Old guy skaters are everywhere

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #535 on: February 06, 2023, 02:28:28 AM »
"board feel" concerning shoes, is overrated.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

manysnakes

« Reply #536 on: February 06, 2023, 04:54:12 AM »
"Board feel" concerning shoes, is underrated.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #537 on: February 06, 2023, 05:18:19 AM »
"Board feel" concerning shoes, is properly rated.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #538 on: February 06, 2023, 07:40:23 AM »
Board feel is never right. There's either too much or not enough. It can exist for fleeting periods of a shoe's life, but is mostly a way for us to justify our shoe selection.

I'd argue that the feel of the sidewall of the shoe matters more. For me something like a 440 has more board feel than a Vans, but the sidewall/upper aren't prone to getting as flexy and my foot feels better in them.

djoekr

• Rep: 324
« Reply #539 on: February 06, 2023, 08:01:35 AM »
I couldn't care less about wheel size. All the spots I frequent are kinda crusty and eat urethane like it's nothing. I buy 54mm F4's solely because the extra size makes them last longer and it's the biggest I can go without risers before wheelbite becomes a problem. I'll skate them until they're well below 45mm and don't really notice a difference during their lifespan.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it