Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177349 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1350 on: April 14, 2023, 10:32:03 PM »
Up in Canada we can get daddy Ben’s box set at the public library….

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1351 on: April 14, 2023, 10:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe it’s just cuz I haven’t skated a ps or clutch board since the Obama administration but boards don’t “lose their pop” until you get actual squaring on the nose and tail, when you guys are like “oh it started getting soggy after a week” I’m baffled, never experienced this in my life, still have plenty pop on a pretty razortailed board, anybody else relate?
[close]

Same here, but I recently found out it depends on your setup. Tried a friends board and it was disgusting.

Imagine this: You start with a flat deck, low ace trucks and small wheels, a no-pop combination from hell. So you're basically starting off with the deck's 30% pop potential. If the board gets even slightly mellower from skating it for 2 weeks that shit is at 20% pop and you're barely getting it off the ground. And then they get a new one.
But if instead, they'd put some thunders/ventures on there it would ascend to 80% pop and would be good for another month or so.

Ben D also mentioned this in some video, his board felt "soggy" after some time on indies but had great pop when he switched to thunders at the end of the decks life. I think the way he formulated it was: He can extend a decks life by a week by switching to thunders at the end or so.

TLDR: Don't skate a stupid flat board with short wb trucks and small wheels IF you wan't to skate if for longer than a few weeks
[close]

Interesting! I always have doubts about which skateboard deck goes best with certain trucks. Right now, I'm using a Black Label 9" football-shaped deck, Ace AF1 55 trucks, and Spitfire Radials 53mm wheels. Do you think it's a good combination? I also have a couple more decks at home (Snack 8.5" and Hockey 8.5" #1 shape) and some Spitfire 58mm conical full wheels. What trucks would be good for a good pop? Maybe Independent 149? Thank you very much.
[close]

You should watch my dad Ben's videos
[close]

Thank you! Can I purchase those videos on Internet or how can I watch them?

Here you go my sweet summer child. All the information you could want at your fingertips

http://youtube.com/@bendegros

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 49
« Reply #1352 on: April 14, 2023, 11:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe it’s just cuz I haven’t skated a ps or clutch board since the Obama administration but boards don’t “lose their pop” until you get actual squaring on the nose and tail, when you guys are like “oh it started getting soggy after a week” I’m baffled, never experienced this in my life, still have plenty pop on a pretty razortailed board, anybody else relate?
[close]

Same here, but I recently found out it depends on your setup. Tried a friends board and it was disgusting.

Imagine this: You start with a flat deck, low ace trucks and small wheels, a no-pop combination from hell. So you're basically starting off with the deck's 30% pop potential. If the board gets even slightly mellower from skating it for 2 weeks that shit is at 20% pop and you're barely getting it off the ground. And then they get a new one.
But if instead, they'd put some thunders/ventures on there it would ascend to 80% pop and would be good for another month or so.

Ben D also mentioned this in some video, his board felt "soggy" after some time on indies but had great pop when he switched to thunders at the end of the decks life. I think the way he formulated it was: He can extend a decks life by a week by switching to thunders at the end or so.

TLDR: Don't skate a stupid flat board with short wb trucks and small wheels IF you wan't to skate if for longer than a few weeks
[close]

Interesting! I always have doubts about which skateboard deck goes best with certain trucks. Right now, I'm using a Black Label 9" football-shaped deck, Ace AF1 55 trucks, and Spitfire Radials 53mm wheels. Do you think it's a good combination? I also have a couple more decks at home (Snack 8.5" and Hockey 8.5" #1 shape) and some Spitfire 58mm conical full wheels. What trucks would be good for a good pop? Maybe Independent 149? Thank you very much.
[close]

You should watch my dad Ben's videos
[close]

Thank you! Can I purchase those videos on Internet or how can I watch them?
[close]

Here you go my sweet summer child. All the information you could want at your fingertips

http://youtube.com/@bendegros

Thank you! I didn't know it was a Youtube channel as I'm not familiar with youtubers. Let's find wisdom!

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #1353 on: April 15, 2023, 01:24:49 AM »
Guy Mariano has bad style and probably should have stuck with crail..he hasn't had any clips since pretty sweet (11 years ago)

Flay me, idc

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1354 on: April 15, 2023, 02:30:23 AM »
FS noseslides do not count/are lame af if its out to fakie.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #1355 on: April 15, 2023, 02:34:44 AM »
Guy Mariano has bad style and probably should have stuck with crail..he hasn't had any clips since pretty sweet (11 years ago)

Flay me, idc

said by someone that has probably been jerking of to their own bigfoot pron art, FWIW.

the lady bug phantom clip alone.........holy shit, that clip was great!

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #1356 on: April 15, 2023, 06:35:15 AM »
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

manysnakes

« Reply #1357 on: April 15, 2023, 06:46:38 AM »

FS or BS to fakie are both lame unless you’re landing in that direction specifically to setup for a switch or fakie trick.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #1358 on: April 15, 2023, 06:48:13 AM »
Holding a long fs nose and popping out to fakie on purpose feels amazing tho

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #1359 on: April 15, 2023, 06:53:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

FS or BS to fakie are both lame unless you’re landing in that direction specifically to setup for a switch or fakie trick.
Might as well add the best example of all time 0:30

And a rare nice front nose fakie 1:37

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1360 on: April 15, 2023, 07:12:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Note to self: I should not read this thread
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1361 on: April 15, 2023, 08:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Note to self: I should not read this thread

That one went a little too close to the bone

KB is wildly, wildly overrated, nothin’ special

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1362 on: April 15, 2023, 08:19:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like them when people fully commit. Like go fast and put all your weight on your front foot and then you just let the board decide which way it wants to come out. It’s not the prettiest or most in control way to do them but it’s fun. So if someone else does it that way I’m stoked.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1363 on: April 15, 2023, 08:22:42 AM »
the fsnsf was only popular for like a year.....can we squeeze it out a bit more....with a proper little nudge out....the body varial version didn't take off shouldn't we be happy with it?

manysnakes

« Reply #1364 on: April 15, 2023, 08:35:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Might as well add the best example of all time 0:30

And a rare nice front nose fakie 1:37

Perfect example.

As an aside I am constantly amazed how you guys can recall tricks from videos. I’d spend the rest of the day scrolling random videos until I found something.

switchfakie

« Reply #1365 on: April 15, 2023, 02:47:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These are popular opinions tho

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1366 on: April 15, 2023, 10:04:39 PM »
I think the obsession with having 'street only' parts is wack. A skate part should be a representation of how you and/or your crew actually skate, and if that means chucking in a few skatepark tricks then that's fine. It'd be way cooler if the kids were just honest about how they skate instead of pretending they are super core and only skate real street when they're really just park rats 90% of the time.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1367 on: April 15, 2023, 10:54:18 PM »
Skatepark clips work just fine in IG stories….

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -767
« Reply #1368 on: April 15, 2023, 11:07:07 PM »
I think the obsession with having 'street only' parts is wack. A skate part should be a representation of how you and/or your crew actually skate, and if that means chucking in a few skatepark tricks then that's fine. It'd be way cooler if the kids were just honest about how they skate instead of pretending they are super core and only skate real street when they're really just park rats 90% of the time.

Brain dead take
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #1369 on: April 15, 2023, 11:28:04 PM »

Flay me, idc
Guy had great style pre-comeback. He still looks good when he's doing more basic stuff, I think the "bad style" stuff related to him comes from some horrific trick selection in the name of NBD's and innovation. Very few guys can be on the cutting edge of tech skating and also have it look amazing. Only MJ, Carroll, and Lucas really come to mind on that front once ledge dancing came into fashion. It's very hard to push skating forward on a technical level while still looking great doing it, and that's a debate that has raged since Hawk vs Hosoi.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1370 on: April 16, 2023, 06:38:32 AM »

Flay me, idc

Agree. I think Koston in mouse had better style than Mariano (but only in mouse).
Miss you Rusty Berings

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1371 on: April 16, 2023, 07:56:11 AM »
there are three Guy's: Video days, Mouse, Fully Flared....all pretty different...

I've heard the 'actually Guy doesn't have good style' take more than the 'guy has great style!' take.....

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #1372 on: April 17, 2023, 06:26:33 AM »

Flay me, idc

I think a lot of people missed it cuz it was part of a Berrics documentary, but he put out a part in 2014 that I liked a lot more than his PS part. I think his style is better when he tones it back a bit. (starts around 1:50)

He's also had clips sprinkled through Nike and Dickies edits. Not a part's worth, but still.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #1373 on: April 17, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »

This goes out the window once a kickflip in is involved

Case in point:

Opening trick

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #1374 on: April 17, 2023, 09:43:31 AM »
worble is corny as fuck and not a real company.

(these two things are not intrinsically linked, but they both apply to worble regardless)

did you revoke their incorporation paperwork?

manysnakes

« Reply #1375 on: April 17, 2023, 09:54:16 AM »
worble is ... not a real company.

People here say shit like this all the time and don't understand what it means. What constitutes a "real" company? My only guess is that, since it doesn't resemble a skateboard company from the years for which one is nostalgic, that it's not "real".

IpathCats

« Reply #1376 on: April 17, 2023, 09:58:27 AM »
worble is corny as fuck and not a real company.

(these two things are not intrinsically linked, but they both apply to worble regardless)

Actually true.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #1377 on: April 17, 2023, 10:06:25 AM »
worble is corny as fuck

Honestly, I do agree with this - it's just not to my taste, personally. If anyone else enjoys their output, that's cool, I'm not knocking you for that at all.

There's a couple reasons why it's not for me. I don't like the names Worble, or Cobra Man, or Manramp, or any of that - it's not my thing.

Manramp in particular can be clever at times, but the whole thing also feels like an extended gimmick that I'm not too into. Like I don't get hyped to go out and skate from watching a Manramp video. It's more like content for content's sake.

Also, I gotta be honest here, and I'd welcome any info that disproves this - it feels like a whitewashed upper-class thing, which apparently is on brand since they're from Vermont from what I understand. I skimmed their insta and only saw one prevalent person of colour, which is Eunice Chang. Also saw a black dude in the back of one of their videos, and that's it. So yeah, it doesn't really speak to me.

But it's really cool that they value inclusion with regards to gender, and it's cool that it's a group of friends doing their thing and having fun.

manysnakes

« Reply #1378 on: April 17, 2023, 10:29:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

People here say shit like this all the time and don't understand what it means. What constitutes a "real" company? My only guess is that, since it doesn't resemble a skateboard company from the years for which one is nostalgic, that it's not "real".
[close]
yeah, i know defining a "real" brand is borderline useless nowadays and with the way the industry works now these distinctions get more and more blurred each day, but i feel like you gotta draw the line somewhere

my major qualifier (which i genuinely think is fair) is national/international distribution. anyone can order a run of boards with their friend's names on them and set up a webstore, regardless if there's an actual demand for these boards, and now that we've shifted away from a skateshop economy, anyone in the country can theoretically order the board. does that make that person "pro"*? not necessarily, but at least when you see a run of boards in shops, you know there's likely actual demand for what this company is offering. someone bought that board, and they think it has enough merit that it'll sell. not only have i never seen a worble board in person, but my (admittedly brief) research indicates they're not even available on several major retailers, including CCS, skatepark of tampa, or tactics. so who's asking for these boards? what purpose does this company serve? was anyone on the team (besides cookie) hooked up before their friends started a brand and would they be hooked up if this brand didn't exist?

for the record, i don't think worble is the only "not a real" company out there, there are plenty of bullshit brands out there. worble's just a topic of conversation right now

*please, let's not throw the concept of "pro" into this conversation

It sounds like you have a nebulous definition of what is and is not a "skateboard company" which you get to apply based on the vibes you get from them. That's fine, it actually confirms what I already believed, which is that most of this is rooted in nostalgia.

manysnakes

« Reply #1379 on: April 17, 2023, 10:39:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah, i know defining a "real" brand is borderline useless nowadays and with the way the industry works now these distinctions get more and more blurred each day, but i feel like you gotta draw the line somewhere

my major qualifier (which i genuinely think is fair) is national/international distribution. anyone can order a run of boards with their friend's names on them and set up a webstore, regardless if there's an actual demand for these boards, and now that we've shifted away from a skateshop economy, anyone in the country can theoretically order the board. does that make that person "pro"*? not necessarily, but at least when you see a run of boards in shops, you know there's likely actual demand for what this company is offering. someone bought that board, and they think it has enough merit that it'll sell. not only have i never seen a worble board in person, but my (admittedly brief) research indicates they're not even available on several major retailers, including CCS, skatepark of tampa, or tactics. so who's asking for these boards? what purpose does this company serve? was anyone on the team (besides cookie) hooked up before their friends started a brand and would they be hooked up if this brand didn't exist?

for the record, i don't think worble is the only "not a real" company out there, there are plenty of bullshit brands out there. worble's just a topic of conversation right now

*please, let's not throw the concept of "pro" into this conversation

[close]

It sounds like you have a nebulous definition of what is and is not a "skateboard company" which you get to apply based on the vibes you get from them. That's fine, it actually confirms what I already believed, which is that most of this is rooted in nostalgia.
[close]
have you ever heard of confirmation bias? might be worth reading up on

[spends three paragraphs repeating my point back to me]

"Yeah man have you heard of confirmation bias?"