Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177413 times)

frontsideNECKTIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1410 on: April 20, 2023, 09:24:29 AM »
Expand Quote
The whole Cobra Man thing is take or leave, but its still sick how they recorded originals for "their own" video, regardless of the band itself
[close]

The fact that the produced a wholly conceived skate video in the way that they did is something I consider to be laudable and incredible. No one puts that much energy and effort into the production, and you can accuse them of trying to use it to mask weak skating.

If there's an argument they're using music to "mask weak skating" idk what to say. The tricks are on video, clear as day. I wouldn't say they're a super cutting edge team (Coulborn is pretty heavy), but their videos seem to be presented pretty honest. The music doesn't seem deceitful lol

"no one puts that much energy into production" I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to, the band's production or the video.... I know its Nine Club, but in the most recent drop w/ Heyl and Nikolai there's a full discussion about production in skate videos.

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

IpathCats

« Reply #1411 on: April 20, 2023, 10:09:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I would ride a primitive board with a fucking dragonball z character on it before a rode a frog/worble deck.
[close]

I think that says more about you than those brands.

Think what you want but if you want to go that direction, then yea i def prefer these skateboarders

https://primitiveskate.com/pages/team

vs

https://frogskateboards.com/pages/team

worble didnt have a team page, but cookie is the only dude that i could give a shit about on that team.

Hell, you could cut primitives team in half and I would still care more about them than frog/worble combined.

fistful0dynamite

« Reply #1412 on: April 20, 2023, 10:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I would ride a primitive board with a fucking dragonball z character on it before a rode a frog/worble deck.
[close]

[close]

Think what you want but if you want to go that direction, then yea i def prefer these skateboarders

vs

worble didnt have a team page, but cookie is the only dude that i could give a shit about on that team.

Hell, you could cut primitives team in half and I would still care more about them than frog/worble combined.
We get it no fun in skateboarding allowed, go rewatch define.

IpathCats

« Reply #1413 on: April 20, 2023, 10:23:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Careful now, don't want to tarnish your street vert cred

We get it no fun in skateboarding allowed, go rewatch define.

No time for fun or watching define for the 30th time

I'm training for the olympics nerd.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #1414 on: April 20, 2023, 10:29:56 AM »
i would think the primitive dudes had lots of fun flying around the world and filming their video parts

manysnakes

« Reply #1415 on: April 20, 2023, 10:37:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The whole Cobra Man thing is take or leave, but its still sick how they recorded originals for "their own" video, regardless of the band itself
[close]

The fact that the produced a wholly conceived skate video in the way that they did is something I consider to be laudable and incredible. No one puts that much energy and effort into the production, and you can accuse them of trying to use it to mask weak skating.
[close]

If there's an argument they're using music to "mask weak skating" idk what to say. The tricks are on video, clear as day. I wouldn't say they're a super cutting edge team (Coulborn is pretty heavy), but their videos seem to be presented pretty honest. The music doesn't seem deceitful lol

"no one puts that much energy into production" I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to, the band's production or the video.... I know its Nine Club, but in the most recent drop w/ Heyl and Nikolai there's a full discussion about production in skate videos.

Maybe it's because I said "can" when I meant to type "can't", but you clearly misunderstood the entirety of my post.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1416 on: April 20, 2023, 10:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

vs

I mean, its sort of apples and oranges tho. Everyone can have their preference, but this is an odd comparison. Primitive is like 10+ years old with well established pros everyone has known for years. They're obviously gonna have more notoriety, weight, and influence on your dollar than Worble or Frog who are a few years old and is mainly comprised of up-and-comers.

Comparing Primitive to Worble seems like a "punching below your weight" situation.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1417 on: April 20, 2023, 10:45:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Maybe it's because I said "can" when I meant to type "can't", but you clearly misunderstood the entirety of my post.

No I didn't, we're on the same page. The effort is commendable.

The can vs can't is pretty integral to how that last sentence reads. It made it seem like putting the effort in on the music was a kook move to overshadow the skating. Hence where my comments came from

IpathCats

« Reply #1418 on: April 20, 2023, 11:12:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

vs

[close]

I mean, its sort of apples and oranges tho. Everyone can have their preference, but this is an odd comparison. Primitive is like 10+ years old with well established pros everyone has known for years. They're obviously gonna have more notoriety, weight, and influence on your dollar than Worble or Frog who are a few years old and is mainly comprised of up-and-comers.

Comparing Primitive to Worble seems like a "punching below your weight" situation.

This has got to be one of the softest things I've ever read on this site. "punching below your weight" hahaha, are you just trying to fabricate some vague injustice in order to validate your opinions?

The size of the brand couldn't have less to do with it.

I'd take quasi or alltimers over primitive any day, or even a shop deck for that matter lol.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1419 on: April 20, 2023, 12:01:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

vs

[close]

[close]

This has got to be one of the softest things I've ever read on this site. "punching below your weight" hahaha, are you just trying to fabricate some vague injustice in order to validate your opinions?

The size of the brand couldn't have less to do with it.

I'd take quasi or alltimers over primitive any day, or even a shop deck for that matter lol.

Dude ride whatever, I don't care. Spend your money however you see fit. You've made the point it's not gonna be Worble and that's fine. I've never spent money on them either.

It's not injustice it's just business. Worble isn't cool enough to get your money, Primitive might be. Cool.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #1420 on: April 20, 2023, 01:55:44 PM »
IpathCats is just too fuckin' cool for the rest of us and we should all bow down to our new deity.

manysnakes

« Reply #1421 on: April 20, 2023, 03:36:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No I didn't, we're on the same page. The effort is commendable.

The can vs can't is pretty integral to how that last sentence reads. It made it seem like putting the effort in on the music was a kook move to overshadow the skating. Hence where my comments came from

I honestly don't get what you're driving at. My point was that composing an all-original soundtrack to a skate video is rad. Some cynic might say of a lesser group of skaters that they were compensating with the "antics", the soundtrack, etc., but their skating stands on its own. Cookie dropped a SOTY-level part.

manysnakes

« Reply #1422 on: April 20, 2023, 03:37:03 PM »
I sincerely love Primitive decks and they're basically all I skate.

zipzinger666

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • Fuck, that didn't work out...
« Reply #1423 on: April 20, 2023, 04:08:00 PM »

Are they good? Sincerely, been on a dlx setup for a decade now and never tried one
Slap: not only do we run things in the industry, we fucking kill people"

IpathCats

« Reply #1424 on: April 20, 2023, 08:03:53 PM »
IpathCats is just too fuckin' cool for the rest of us and we should all bow down to our new deity.

Yea, my primitive x DBZ gear is a pretty clear indicator of that...

manysnakes

« Reply #1425 on: April 21, 2023, 07:42:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are they good? Sincerely, been on a dlx setup for a decade now and never tried one

Yeah, the wood is great and they have fairly unique shapes, in that they offer short decks in 8-8.25” which all have a 14” wheelbase. I’ve got short legs and I swear by them.

Every one I’ve got has been made in China, not sure if that means Dwindle or someone else, but apparently they’re all BBS now. Not sure if that will make a difference.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1426 on: April 23, 2023, 07:45:28 AM »
I like the dude, but “All Hail Cardiel” is corny and the song is straight cringe.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1427 on: April 23, 2023, 09:43:10 AM »
Also considering he's all about dancehall....

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1428 on: April 23, 2023, 09:04:59 PM »
I like the dude, but “All Hail Cardiel” is corny and the song is straight cringe.
Cool dude weird to idolize someone tho
I did your mom

fredsgayoutfit

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1429 on: April 25, 2023, 10:30:47 AM »

Frog/worble collab only instead of a skate edit it’s man ramps onlyfans videos

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #1430 on: April 25, 2023, 11:18:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Frog/worble collab only instead of a skate edit it’s man ramps onlyfans videos
Please god let this happen
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 06:10:26 PM by Magnolia »
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1431 on: April 25, 2023, 04:40:09 PM »
Mason Silva is a boring g I Joe
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1432 on: April 25, 2023, 04:41:52 PM »

Haha, my friend calls him "Jarhead"

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #1433 on: April 25, 2023, 04:57:48 PM »
I was listening to a Chandler Burton interview on The Vent this morning and he was talking about doing the Dime Glory Challenge in drag. The first person he ran into after leaving his hotel room in full drag was Mason. Chandler was super nervous but Mason was super stoked and supportive and that made Chandler feel like it would be cool to do it. Said Mason is a really good dude. So I got a new appreciation for Mason.

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #1434 on: April 25, 2023, 05:06:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I was listening to a Chandler Burton interview on The Vent this morning and he was talking about doing the Dime Glory Challenge in drag. The first person he ran into after leaving his hotel room in full drag was Mason. Chandler was super nervous but Mason was super stoked and supportive and that made Chandler feel like it would be cool to do it. Said Mason is a really good dude. So I got a new appreciation for Mason.

Yeah he looks like a jock but in interviews and b-roll etc he always seems super nice.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1435 on: April 25, 2023, 05:28:37 PM »
Yeah my buddy (who is like 16) told me he met Mason Silva at a skatepark and he was super cool and nice to him. Which makes me think Mason Silva is EXTRA cool because my buddy is goofy as fuck and fangirls over pros so hard that he keeps a list on his phone of all the pros he's met (he showed me)
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #1436 on: April 25, 2023, 05:40:54 PM »
Yeah my buddy (who is like 16) told me he met Mason Silva at a skatepark and he was super cool and nice to him. Which makes me think Mason Silva is EXTRA cool because my buddy is goofy as fuck and fangirls over pros so hard that he keeps a list on his phone of all the pros he's met (he showed me)

Well what pros did your… “friend”… meet?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #1437 on: April 25, 2023, 06:43:51 PM »
Yeah nice guys I was talking about his skating
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1438 on: April 25, 2023, 06:49:50 PM »
pratt students should stick to skating cooper and leave real skating aloine

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #1439 on: April 25, 2023, 06:53:25 PM »
Yeah nice guys I was talking about his skating

geez sorry for using it to generate a bit of chat.