Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177338 times)

IpathCats

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1830 on: June 23, 2023, 07:27:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you can’t slappy a 90 degree 8 inch curb you can’t slappy, sorry, I don’t make the rules
[close]

I’m terrible at slappies. Was watching some slappy part (maybe Ace Pelka?) and was super jealous about all the 80 degree painted curbs that seem to exist all over California.
[close]

Lol yeah, anyone who can learn to properly slappy on a real 90 degree curb is a real one. Californian curbs are 100% easy mode
[close]

I’ll take you to oververt.
6” and 5* past vert with a crusty run up that dips down and curbs chunked out as well. It’s in California.
So that’s not a real one?

do you half to walk half a mile in the snow uphill both ways to get to it?

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1831 on: June 23, 2023, 08:27:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If you can’t slappy a 90 degree 8 inch curb you can’t slappy, sorry, I don’t make the rules
[close]

I’m terrible at slappies. Was watching some slappy part (maybe Ace Pelka?) and was super jealous about all the 80 degree painted curbs that seem to exist all over California.
[close]

Lol yeah, anyone who can learn to properly slappy on a real 90 degree curb is a real one. Californian curbs are 100% easy mode
Vertical curbs aren’t that much harder.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1832 on: June 23, 2023, 08:34:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you already have the technique down then yeah, it's the same shit, but trying to learn on tall vertical curbs is definitely a lot harder than learning on a 5" high slanted curb.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

manysnakes

« Reply #1833 on: June 23, 2023, 10:35:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's like 90% technique and 10% confidence. You've just gotta trust that you're going to be able to pop up there, and if you don't commit then you can be bucked off pretty hard. I slammed my back into a sign by not committing and failing to get my back truck fully up.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1834 on: June 23, 2023, 11:14:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Never skated a Cali curb but re: parking blocks

You don’t need to do the “hop” on parking blocks, you can just carve into them and bend your knees a bit and your momentum will carry you up. It’s still technically a slappy but it’s more like like a micro wallie motion than a real slappy motion, you’re leaving out a whole third step.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1835 on: June 23, 2023, 11:53:30 AM »
Opposing something because people like it is the most immature pre-teen form of angst. Especially if the thing you're opposing really has no negatives whatsoever, like go skate day.

Let's pump the breaks on the "edgelord teenage angst" viewpoint there... I may be ugly and hate-filled, but, what's the 3rd thing you said? But you're taking it all the wrong way or maybe I misworded the sarcasm at the end, as I have no real opposition to it and it just was something I was never really aware of. I was certainly aware of its existence but wasn't like marking my calendar every year in anticipation, I couldn't ever tell you the date it falls on.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 01:28:13 PM by Jim and Dan »
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1836 on: June 23, 2023, 12:02:57 PM »
Slappies got popular again because a bunch of old guys that like to skate got scared to Ollie and a buncha little kids found them easy all coincided in the time frame.

I wouldn’t use the word “scared”, maybe more like “physically incapable”.

I think they got popular again because people discovered how fun and accessible they are.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #1837 on: June 23, 2023, 12:15:55 PM »
Bones could soon become the #1 wheel brand again if spitfire doesn't step their game up.
The new X formula is killing it and spitfire doesn't have anything like it.
But basically everything other than the product itself sucks about bones, so I want spitfire to step their game up.

I don't even know what the unpopular opinion is here. Maybe that bones might currently be making better wheels than spitfire

manysnakes

« Reply #1838 on: June 23, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »
Slappies got popular again because a bunch of old guys that like to skate got scared to Ollie and a buncha little kids found them easy all coincided in the time frame.

I'm in my 40s and I can still pop onto a ledge. I like slappies because they are fun and extremely accessible. The act of destroying a truck with slappies is one of skateboarding's great pleasures.

manysnakes

« Reply #1839 on: June 23, 2023, 12:23:08 PM »
Bones could soon become the #1 wheel brand again if spitfire doesn't step their game up.
But basically everything other than the product itself sucks about bones, so I want spitfire to step their game up.

I don't even know what the unpopular opinion is here. Maybe that bones might currently be making better wheels than spitfire

I just said this in the Spitfire thread, but they're coming out with 95a and 93a, which is all well and good, but they have the 97a and it doesn't compare remotely to the Dragon formula. I don't see how softer wheels of the same formula is going to cover than distance, but I don't actually think that Spitfire is in any danger of losing their top spot in the wheel game.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1840 on: June 23, 2023, 01:52:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

6” and 5* past vert with a crusty run up that dips down and curbs chunked out as well. It’s in California.
Slappys over the storm drains/deathboxes that are super common in SoCal remain an NBD as far as I know
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1841 on: June 23, 2023, 02:30:47 PM »
I really hope you nerds are out at the spot with a digital angle gauge so you can flex on whose skating the less fun shit to skate.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1842 on: June 23, 2023, 04:53:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Never skated a Cali curb but re: parking blocks

You don’t need to do the “hop” on parking blocks, you can just carve into them and bend your knees a bit and your momentum will carry you up. It’s still technically a slappy but it’s more like like a micro wallie motion than a real slappy motion, you’re leaving out a whole third step.
I feel like you’re getting really into the weeds there. If you grind a curb without leaving the ground i think it’s a slappy, but I’m not trying to fight about it.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1843 on: June 23, 2023, 04:56:51 PM »

Both the dragon wheels and x formula seem like they are novelty wheels to me. They are excellent for certain spots and situations but in others they suck. Spitfire f4 99s are good in just about everything.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1844 on: June 23, 2023, 05:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Both the dragon wheels and x formula seem like they are novelty wheels to me. They are excellent for certain spots and situations but in others they suck. Spitfire f4 99s are good in just about everything.
I haven’t tried spitfire 99s but the only situation I don’t like dragons is at parks when they’re a little too sticky. Even then I mostly still ride them because it’s not that big of a deal

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #1845 on: June 23, 2023, 05:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

do you half to walk half a mile in the snow uphill both ways to get to it?

Damn! I guess you’ve skated it already.

Nah, just a 2 block push away and it was so fucked that getting stuff on it always felt rad. I like fucked spots though. Variety and such.

Bummer Vacation

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1846 on: June 23, 2023, 05:47:39 PM »

Right now I'm skating the OJ Nomads & I don't see myself switching any time soon.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #1847 on: June 23, 2023, 06:20:54 PM »
Apparently, this is an unpopular opinion where I live because everyone at the skatepark tried to clown me when I finally stood up for myself after dealing with this shit multiple days in a row... but please don't bring your dog to the skatepark. Especially if you're going to let it run around off-leash and bark at people. After asking for people to tie their dog up, control their dog, and finally shut their dog up, I got reactions ranging from "It's just a dog" to the cherry reply of "I'll knock you out and let my dog go on you after" from some kook who didn't even skate/bmx/scoot/etc, and was just hanging out there with his dog. I'm trying to stay out of trouble so I just laughed off the threats and ignored everyone making fun of me but it still pissed me off. Typical entitled usage of public space from the shitty kooks that inhabit my town. The funny thing is, after that ruined my session I still wanted to skate so I went out late at night for a little street mission and immediately got chased by a dog for an entire block while bombing this mellow hill. Good times.

Clearly, I don't like dogs and I have my reasons but I also know there are many responsible dog owners out there that wouldn't do these kinds of things. Still, I'm pretty tired of feeling like a pariah because I'm part of the 1% of people who aren't totally enamoured by dogs in this modern world.

Oh well. More awkward sessions ahead to look forward to because I'm not going to stop going any time soon.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #1848 on: June 23, 2023, 06:32:10 PM »
fuck dogs.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1849 on: June 23, 2023, 06:36:21 PM »
i will 100% wreck your dog if its running around

IpathCats

« Reply #1850 on: June 23, 2023, 07:22:53 PM »
I love dogs, own two myself. Little pitt mixes <3

But neither of them are well behaved enough to take to the skatepark.

Unless your dog is super chill and trained well, they really have no business being in an environment like that.

People are fucking stupid.

Sorry you got clowned and threatened for being a reasonable person.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1851 on: June 23, 2023, 08:37:30 PM »
8 inches is hardly a curb lmao what are you going on about

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1852 on: June 23, 2023, 08:41:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Wut

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1853 on: June 23, 2023, 09:35:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Wut
Even if it's technically a curb I think 8 inches falls squarely into tiny ledge/mega curb territory, i.e. not a standard curb. Average sized curbs are the metric by which all other curbs should be judged so claiming you can't really slappy because you can't do it on an 8 inch curb makes no logical sense.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1854 on: June 23, 2023, 10:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Wut
[close]
Even if it's technically a curb I think 8 inches falls squarely into tiny ledge/mega curb territory, i.e. not a standard curb. Average sized curbs are the metric by which all other curbs should be judged so claiming you can't really slappy because you can't do it on an 8 inch curb makes no logical sense.
Oh I thought you were saying that was too small to be called a curb. I was like- this person must live in a city of giants

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1855 on: June 23, 2023, 10:25:19 PM »
Almost everyone at our local calls this nearly 50-foot-long ledge "the curb" despite it being around 15 1/2-16 inches high. I've always found that funny because it goes up another level with a wedge ramp at one end and a 4 stair on the other with an actual 3-5 inch training style curb at the top layer that spans the entire massive length and is probably the least skated obstacle, barring a few other design abominations. I'm not sure how local vernacular works or is born but everyone here has definitely seen and experienced an actual street curb.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #1856 on: June 23, 2023, 10:29:11 PM »
Apparently, this is an unpopular opinion where I live because everyone at the skatepark tried to clown me when I finally stood up for myself after dealing with this shit multiple days in a row... but please don't bring your dog to the skatepark. Especially if you're going to let it run around off-leash and bark at people. After asking for people to tie their dog up, control their dog, and finally shut their dog up, I got reactions ranging from "It's just a dog" to the cherry reply of "I'll knock you out and let my dog go on you after" from some kook who didn't even skate/bmx/scoot/etc, and was just hanging out there with his dog. I'm trying to stay out of trouble so I just laughed off the threats and ignored everyone making fun of me but it still pissed me off. Typical entitled usage of public space from the shitty kooks that inhabit my town. The funny thing is, after that ruined my session I still wanted to skate so I went out late at night for a little street mission and immediately got chased by a dog for an entire block while bombing this mellow hill. Good times.

Clearly, I don't like dogs and I have my reasons but I also know there are many responsible dog owners out there that wouldn't do these kinds of things. Still, I'm pretty tired of feeling like a pariah because I'm part of the 1% of people who aren't totally enamoured by dogs in this modern world.

Oh well. More awkward sessions ahead to look forward to because I'm not going to stop going any time soon.
Where I live there's a legit dog attack problem. I know a couple of teachers and someone who works at the children's Hospital and apparently it's pretty much every week some kid gets fucked up. Basically I think there's just adult dorks whos problem dogs "showing their dominance" at a park are the only time in their life they have any kind of power. They don't dare take their dog to a trainer because everyone would know what a microdick they are when their dog submits to the trainer immediately

quackquack

• Rep: -428
« Reply #1857 on: June 23, 2023, 10:45:45 PM »
Almost everyone at our local calls this nearly 50-foot-long ledge "the curb" despite it being around 15 1/2-16 inches high. I've always found that funny because it goes up another level with a wedge ramp at one end and a 4 stair on the other with an actual 3-5 inch training style curb at the top layer that spans the entire massive length and is probably the least skated obstacle, barring a few other design abominations. I'm not sure how local vernacular works or is born but everyone here has definitely seen and experienced an actual street curb.

That's craz because I know a gal with a 16 inching curb. It doesn't have a 4 stair but the training wheels on top are about 2.5 inches. Needless three said, it's a bona-fide rubble dumpster and all the lads get their Jimmy's on it. Not sure what's up with your spot.
Oh, the places you'll go.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1858 on: June 23, 2023, 10:56:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's craz because I know a gal with a 16 inching curb. It doesn't have a 4 stair but the training wheels on top are about 2.5 inches. Needless three said, it's a bona-fide rubble dumpster and all the lads get their Jimmy's on it. Not sure what's up with your spot.

I enjoyed the mocking tone and the overt feeling that you face fucked an AI chat bot to produce this reply. Cheers one love 93 til infinity foreskin splitting rubble cunt shitdog cluster aids

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #1859 on: June 23, 2023, 11:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I enjoyed the mocking tone and the overt feeling that you face fucked an AI chat bot to produce this reply. Cheers one love 93 til infinity foreskin splitting rubble cunt shitdog cluster aids

Patchouli 🙏