Author Topic: Street Fighter Thread  (Read 2575 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Street Fighter Thread
« on: February 28, 2023, 05:50:39 AM »
Who here plays?

Who are your mains?

How hyped are you for Street Fighter 6?

Right now, I main Vega, Menat, and Sagat in SFV.

Really curious about Marisa and JP in 6. I’ll probably main Juri to start.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
Re: Street Fighter Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 07:31:32 AM »
Someone page Rawb

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 04:29:15 PM »
i am down to play fam, do you have discord ?
ONTARIO CANADA

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 05:11:12 PM »
i am down to play fam, do you have discord ?

I don’t. I need to get one though. I’ll let you know when I have it set up.

I also play Tekken, Guilty Gear, Granblue Fantasy, DNF Duel, Under Night in Birth, and King of Fighters.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 07:58:17 AM »
right on, are you on steam or PS4? my name is OG_Rawbertson on both of those
I played GG for a bit when the new one came out but i havent played it in a minute. would be down to run it though (ps4, not sure if cross play is out yet)
I mostly play USF4 cause its my favorite game of all time, but i have been playing a bit of 5 lately with some friends. I am not a huge fan of 5, i dont think 6 will be as good as 4, but i think so far its a lot better than 5 was. i played a bit of the beta.

i have the capcom fighting collections on ps4 / fightcade on pc if you wanna run some old games too
ONTARIO CANADA

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 01:40:29 PM »
Man I play a bunch of fighters. I build fightsticks sometimes too. (not great ones but I was around since the early days of the hobby on SRK and I think my guides might still be up)

On steam I'm 'final_cut' , xbox is 'final cut'. I was also final_cut on PSN but I don't have a playstation anymore sadly.
My main thing is 3rd strike and virtua fighter (lol) but I will play anything my friends are into. Been learning strive since it came to gamepass but I'm shit at it.

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 01:45:27 PM »
right on, are you on steam or PS4? my name is OG_Rawbertson on both of those
I played GG for a bit when the new one came out but i havent played it in a minute. would be down to run it though (ps4, not sure if cross play is out yet)
I mostly play USF4 cause its my favorite game of all time, but i have been playing a bit of 5 lately with some friends. I am not a huge fan of 5, i dont think 6 will be as good as 4, but i think so far its a lot better than 5 was. i played a bit of the beta.

i have the capcom fighting collections on ps4 / fightcade on pc if you wanna run some old games too

Oh shit - just saw you mentioned fightcade. I'm gonna try to get CvS2 running with the Naomi emulator maybe tonight.
Do you have experience with that? Took me forever to figure out third strike with the bios/CHD files.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 02:26:02 PM »
I’m seriously considering entering Evo this year.

Recently had someone ragequit on me during ranked play as I beat them with E. Honda.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 06:47:46 AM »
Not really good at SF5, it became a solid game over the years but I get turned off by how intermediate level play is just “who knows the frame data better”.

Seems like SF6 is moving away from that, the drive system makes it much harder to rely on frame traps.

Right now I’m learning Tekken 7 to prepare for 8 since the skills look like they’ll transition more. For years I was playing Tekken the “hood way”, Law or Mishima rushdowns with unsafe pokes, so it’s cool trying to start from scratch.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 07:34:13 AM »
I’m seriously considering entering Evo this year.

Recently had someone ragequit on me during ranked play as I beat them with E. Honda.

i went to evo in 2017, it was pretty fun. stoked you play honda! that is my main as well. was pretty bummed the did not have USF4 there though because that was what I really wanted to play and most years there is a side tournamnet for it.

i play on Fightcade, are any of you guys on discord per chance?
https://discord.gg/tWjSKu6b this is the slap channel, its pretty small we have become a pretty tight group though. but it is a good place to see if people are online and looking to play (mostly play counterstrike but would be dope to get some FG players!).

i will add those who have posted their steam ids etc.

Not really good at SF5, it became a solid game over the years but I get turned off by how intermediate level play is just “who knows the frame data better”.

Seems like SF6 is moving away from that, the drive system makes it much harder to rely on frame traps.

Right now I’m learning Tekken 7 to prepare for 8 since the skills look like they’ll transition more. For years I was playing Tekken the “hood way”, Law or Mishima rushdowns with unsafe pokes, so it’s cool trying to start from scratch.

yep that is really what turned me off of SFV very quickly is its all about set plays. when i started SFV i knew all the frame data so well so the early season characters i could still probably tell you if a move is punishable/plus on block or not evne though i havent hardly played SFV in the past few years. when i play against the new characters though i have no clue. with V Triggers as well and so many characters kept getting added, it didnt feel fun to keep up with. the original cast seemed to mostly get outdated by these ultra powerful , almost like MVC like characters towards the end.

I think V Shift needed to be added into the game way sooner. it was a great addition though and kinda slept on.

i agree that SF6 seems way better already bceause EVERYONE has the damn parry finally. they seem like they have done a good job at making the universal mechanics way better. there is no silly v trigger or ultra to worry about anymore. only them landing a super and that requires them to actaully make a good skill play. its basically what the Ultra should have been all along. the problem with ultras was only like 1/3 of the cast maybe can easily combo into their ultra. most of the time the ultras didnt even see play cause they were just used as a threat to scare off certain punishes (like honda headbutts). whats the point of having stuff if you never really even use it? 

i guess the main things i worry about is the characters seem very slow, the recovery very long on the pokes, and also still seems like it will be very set play heavy. at least the defensive options are there this time though.
ONTARIO CANADA

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 11:20:45 AM »
demo is out now on PS4, not sure what other platforms
i am feeling it so far. kinda starting to understand the combo system
corner seems really huge in this game (as if it wasnt already big deal in all other games...)
ONTARIO CANADA

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 11:44:21 AM »
The list of 1st wave DLC characters was aiight. Hyped on Ed. Hoping they bring in Menat, Vega, Sagat, and Lucia eventually.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 07:39:41 AM »
anyone play the beta this weekend?

I was doing really well with Guile and Luke
Juri seems very strong...
ONTARIO CANADA

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 10:34:57 AM »
I've been playing SFII the New Challengers a lot lately. Never really kept up with SF after that but I downloaded the SF6 demo since I built a PC recently and just started getting into some gaming. Looks fun so far. I'm a newb to gaming so I don't really know a lot of the jargon or what's fun for myself yet.

• Rep: 3
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 10:52:38 AM »
Street fighter collection saturn u get the 6 button layout, thats the best for oldschool fighters out of all the controllers from that gen and even some now, the saturn 6 button layout is perfect for fighting games, umk3 and mk trilogy on saturn i have those to, i can go human smoke and pop up combo you allday or go reptile and go tricky weird shit.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2023, 07:45:22 AM »
Saturn was a great console for Capcom fighters!!
That pad was dope. You can buy pads like that for current gen consoles.

There is a Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection that is available on all current gen consoles as well. If you are on PC though, I'd suggest just using Fightcade. It's free, you can play the exact arcade version of the game, and it has amazing netcode for multiplayer. the downside of using that over the 30th anniversary versions is that its a little more complicated to set up and use. but most games are very active online where the 30th anniversary are not cross play or anything so the online scenes are pretty dead. I still manage to find ppl playing 3s / SF2 etc. on PSN though the odd time i boot the game up.
ONTARIO CANADA

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023, 09:14:07 AM »
anyone play the beta this weekend?

I was doing really well with Guile and Luke
Juri seems very strong...

Yeah word got out that Kimberly on Classic and Guile on Modern controls was really strong so I was playing against a lot of them. Can’t wait til next week.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 09:34:50 AM »
Manon, JP, and Marisa look intriguing to me.

I’ll probably still main E. Honda though.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2023, 10:35:34 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8AZ_DhzQA

lol not sure how i feel about this.
on one hand i think i could have fun messing around with modern...
ONTARIO CANADA

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2023, 12:28:19 AM »
In my opinion, Third Strike is the best fighting game of all time.  I’m a basic bitch so I just main denjin Ryu.  I also fuck around with Ken, Dudley and Alex.

Alpha 3 is my next favorite.  Don’t get why people think Alpha 2 is better.  Maybe @rawbertson. can explain it to me.

Super Turbo is obviously a classic.

Not psyched for sf6.  Hated sf5.  They just aren’t fun enough to justify looking at their ugly graphics.   Sf3 looked like a beautiful watercolor painting but I almost have to avert my eyes when I see sf4-6. 

Maybe Im just an out of touch old man but I wish they’d go back to hand-drawn graphics.  Capcom was on a tear in the 90’s when they were making the alphas, sf3, dark stalkers, jojos, cyberbots, the marvel games, red earth, rival schools, etc.  All of those games came out within the span of, what, 7 years?

Now they make one game a decade and frankly I cant even tell the difference between sf5 and 6.  It looks like it should be a dlc add-on rather than a separate game.  I refuse to give them any more of my money, even if Ken is wearing full cabs.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 12:55:22 AM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 11:30:37 AM »
@SneakySecrets  Most people like Alpha 2 because they really like the freedom of the Custom Combo in that game and it is pretty well balanced compared to alpha 3. V-ISM is very broken in Alpha 3 and some characters can do infinites...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIkmpoIrF0Q

do you play on fightcade or 30th anniversary? I would be down to play you in Alpha 3, third strike, super turbo, etc

I also thought 5 was ass, but I really like street fighter 4 because it has a very high skill ceiling. I have been playing a lot on Nuckledu's stream the last few weeks. I agree the hand drawn style of artwork is way better, but apparnetly it is much more expensive for them to do it that way.

I am pretty hype for 6 just cause it gets everyone playing agian, but I also think it could potentially be really wack. I think it will be a lot better than 5 though so far. I am just gona play it a bunch and if i really like it i'll keep playing, if i dont, ill just go back to 4 or whatever  8)
ONTARIO CANADA

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 11:55:17 AM »
@rawbertson. You’re so much better than me, you might as well just be playing against a training dummy.  I literally just like going through a couple arcade modes on the easiest setting for like 45 min after work sometimes trying to get cool parries.

I’ve got 30th anniversary edition if you really want to whoop my ass though.

Ok, I now get why people would think Alpha 2 is better than 3, but my skill level is so low that all the reasons you gave literally don’t affect me at all haha.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Alpha 2, but Alpha 3 just appeals more to a mega scrub like me.

I remember being really disappointed in 5 and how it took them like 2 years or whatever to a actually make it a complete game.  How do you work on something for 8 years and not have time to put in an arcade mode?  Also, you could cook a 5 course meal in the time it took a match to load.  The whole thing turned me off.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 02:57:36 PM »
Capcom Vs SNK 2 is my favorite. SNK Groove with Iori and Ryu was my unstoppable main squad.

My SF6 comes in this Friday. I can’t wait to see how these new characters work.

I’ll probably still play SFV in ranked mode. Some of those characters are too good.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 06:18:31 PM »
@rawbertson. You’re so much better than me, you might as well just be playing against a training dummy.  I literally just like going through a couple arcade modes on the easiest setting for like 45 min after work sometimes trying to get cool parries.

I’ve got 30th anniversary edition if you really want to whoop my ass though.

Ok, I now get why people would think Alpha 2 is better than 3, but my skill level is so low that all the reasons you gave literally don’t affect me at all haha.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Alpha 2, but Alpha 3 just appeals more to a mega scrub like me.

I remember being really disappointed in 5 and how it took them like 2 years or whatever to a actually make it a complete game.  How do you work on something for 8 years and not have time to put in an arcade mode?  Also, you could cook a 5 course meal in the time it took a match to load.  The whole thing turned me off.

I actually still prefer alpha 3... and i use a low tier character (honda) who doesnt have infinites... cause like 99% of people who play the game cant actually do em either. unless you pull up to like akiba on a friday night where a3 is known to gather there is like zero chance you are gonna see those infintes go off. there is actually 1 guy in my area who ONLY plays online who can pull off damn near anything in alpha 3 on fight cade.  I am not looking to whoop ass i am just looking for fun matches - i am down to do random select or whatever to give you a chance! i just love playing the old games. CVS2 is absolutely amazing and i want to share with you guys how broken that game is. BAS is the GOAT of that game he still runs the weekly in japan and he faced justin wong few years ago and absolutely shat on him in the grand final:

start at 13:38

https://youtu.be/tZKWQ9dRvUQ
ONTARIO CANADA

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 07:50:15 AM »
I preferred the presentation of Alpha 2, liked that Alpha Counters were actually worth using, and just had an easier time with it. Did like the one button supers in 3 though (I hate most multi button presses when using a game pad).

I liked 3rd Strike a lot (still have the Dreamcast version) but I kind of gave up on Street Fighter after playing a bit of 4. I HATED the way jumping felt across pretty much every character and all the movement in general seemed wonky. Needing to be adept at FADC really separated skill levels to a huge degree.

Played some 5 but I never bought the whole roster and it annoyed me it wasn’t all just there to begin with. It seemed again like there was going to be a big cut off between players who were able to do stupidly difficult combos and those who couldn’t. The main thing that killed it for me was the load times (on a PS4) were atrocious - literally worse than PS1/PS2/Saturn fighters.

If you had told 14 year old me that I wouldn’t give a shit about SF6 coming out I wouldn’t have believed you.

The last time I played a lot of Street Fighter was when SSF2T HD Remix came out on PS3. I played that an unhealthy amount. Embarrassingly, I got mad one day and played for 2 hours on my wife’s account, rage quitting until I was ranked #3 in the world. For a while her account would get invites from people who wanted a fight. Fun times.

changed1

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2023, 11:52:09 AM »
I played street fighter 2 on the sega Genesis and to this day I haven’t had as much fun in a fighting game. Probably just nostalgia but they nailed the characters and background so perfectly that I feel hasn’t been replicated since. I’ve played a few of the newer games in recent years but I tend to prefer mortal kombat.

Watching the new trailer I didn’t see M bison, Sagat, or Vega and those 3 were my favorite ever.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2023, 05:23:26 PM »
I handed out gnars for everyone who posted in this thread, hyped for SF6’s release at midnight.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2023, 10:10:08 AM »
Just got my copy in the mail.

I’ll probably start with an arcade mode run through using Ryu or Honda first. No need to stress myself out the gate trying to learn Manon or JP.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 12:54:22 PM »
Just got my copy in the mail.

I’ll probably start with an arcade mode run through using Ryu or Honda first. No need to stress myself out the gate trying to learn Manon or JP.

Beat the game with Honda, Manon, and JP so far.

Manon is my new main. She’s basically Abel.

JP is complex and is Menat with Saruman’s face and Rugal’s body.

Lily is going to give people fits. Her and Kimberley are broken for sure.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 01:50:26 PM »
my buddy invited me to his office today to play 6 on his arcade machine. i liked it but i'm not really good enough at street fighter to be picky about versions. they all support my limited fireball, uppercut, spin kick style of play. my main rotates between guile and ryu. i found myself most interested in luke. i liked how it was ken/ryu style except with this range punch move.

the character i like most is of course fei long but never got effective with him and doesn't seem like he ever caught on. i feel like cammy is kind of under rated and she probably the only female character i mess with.