Author Topic: Buyers remorse.  (Read 19575 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Buyers remorse.
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2023, 08:33:26 AM »
Mob grip when I'm usually Jessup, but it was the only stuff at the shop I was visiting.

Horrible combination with a steep DSM deck and brand new shoes, coupled with the cold it feels like I'm ripping my ankle ligaments with every session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »
If I had that set up, I’d just do a bunch of nollies until it felt safe…..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2023, 10:06:37 AM »
Mob grip when I'm usually Jessup, but it was the only stuff at the shop I was visiting.

Horrible combination with a steep DSM deck and brand new shoes, coupled with the cold it feels like I'm ripping my ankle ligaments with every session.

Dude, you did everything wrong that time :P

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2023, 05:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I only have myself to blame I know - I didn't have a pair of shoes that was new enough to not look like shit while traveling, but not broken in enough to feel decent on new griptape.

The DSM deck was an OK choice IMO, local board brand and the graphic was great, so I'll take that as a win.

Next time I'm skating abroad I'm thinking of packing my own griptape, I may be stuck in a situation where it's Mob or Mob transparent.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2023, 06:19:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I only have myself to blame I know - I didn't have a pair of shoes that was new enough to not look like shit while traveling, but not broken in enough to feel decent on new griptape.

The DSM deck was an OK choice IMO, local board brand and the graphic was great, so I'll take that as a win.

Next time I'm skating abroad I'm thinking of packing my own griptape, I may be stuck in a situation where it's Mob or Mob transparent.

I've setup 'new everything + Shoes' once or twice, the mindest is when I make a major shift (downsize/different trucks/wheels) and a swap to cup or vulc) so I just 'get used to everything at once'...traveling though, never ever ever...old shoes/trucks/bushings/bearings/wheels, but I'll suffer a new deck and grip (lightly sand it down or be sure get slip u...I mean Jessup.).

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2023, 06:32:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lots of FA wall hangers I'll prob never skate and am tired af of looking at. That and a stack of Quasi '21-'22 I'm pretty much over. So I guess the remorse is in shit I got I thought was hot, but I quickly outgrew style/company wise. Lesson learned. Same thing goes for oversized clothes.
[close]
You got the Jkjnsn Jesus quasi by any chance? Been looking for it as a wall hanger
[close]

Ayo yeah what quasi boards

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2023, 01:52:35 PM »
those butter santosuosso jeans
too tall and slim for that shit
it looked like i was rocking charles barkleys hand me downs
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

eSK3

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2023, 02:02:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've setup 'new everything + Shoes' once or twice, the mindest is when I make a major shift (downsize/different trucks/wheels) and a swap to cup or vulc) so I just 'get used to everything at once'...traveling though, never ever ever...old shoes/trucks/bushings/bearings/wheels, but I'll suffer a new deck and grip (lightly sand it down or be sure get slip u...I mean Jessup.).

I try to skate new shit(not trucks) as much as possible. Jordan wore a new pair every game, I get new shoes and a board as often as possible.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2023, 02:53:58 PM »
Sold all but 1 pair of shoes id had on ice and was never gonna wear.

Football/egg shapes w long wheel base. Why???

Those $30 LB skate shop sale decks with the bad brains looking graphic are comfortable to cruise and float at 8.6 but i cant flip what im riding. Got 1 left. Just gotta adapt.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2023, 04:00:46 PM »

Those $30 LB skate shop sale decks with the bad brains looking graphic are comfortable to cruise and float at 8.6 but i cant flip what im riding. Got 1 left. Just gotta adapt.

Just curious but did you find they didn't quite have enough flat from the end of the bolts to the start of the kicks?

Might just be in the bigger boards with way longer wheelbases, but one that someone passed on to me recently was just way too steep and the bolt holes not drilled in enough, which made it way too heavy feeling on the kicks.

Could ask that for both the eggs and the LB board actually, but I was just meaning the LB board when I first started typing.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2023, 08:02:45 PM »
alert if you are interested in restoring your skateboard karmic balance and absolving yourself of the ultimate sin against the spectacle, buyers remorse (caveat emptor)- feel free to DM me for the contact info of my 401c Nonprofit Skategoods For Broke Chillers

edit: those young bouls in uganda need skate shit too

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2023, 08:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just curious but did you find they didn't quite have enough flat from the end of the bolts to the start of the kicks?

Might just be in the bigger boards with way longer wheelbases, but one that someone passed on to me recently was just way too steep and the bolt holes not drilled in enough, which made it way too heavy feeling on the kicks.

Could ask that for both the eggs and the LB board actually, but I was just meaning the LB board when I first started typing.

not sure but in this photo the top deck is a Real Full SE III stamp- my fave deck shape with good pop and good flip. Bottom is the LB, which im not feeling.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2023, 03:48:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

not sure but in this photo the top deck is a Real Full SE III stamp- my fave deck shape with good pop and good flip. Bottom is the LB, which im not feeling.

Yes, looks like the same angle of kicks as one I have, as well as a good comparison, as I also have those Real Full SE boards in all stamps.

Thanks!

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2023, 05:28:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nice doggo
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2023, 08:18:03 AM »
Powell had so e rough riders or some shit…cruiser wheels. They fell apart ina week.

I also regret Mag Lites. Loved them, but bent them super quickly.

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2023, 08:39:36 AM »
My first deck was an Element cky complete that had Destructo trucks. The third time I skated it, the trucks snapped in half and I fucked myself up so bad, I didn't skate for months after.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2023, 08:56:42 AM »
Vans Skate Skate HI’s. Got them for $25 in my size and they press down on the top of my foot like crazy.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2023, 09:29:38 AM »
I tried Thunder 147 Hollows one time.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2023, 10:00:27 AM »

Might be my favorite trucks.
But they take some getting used too

What did you settle on?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2023, 10:26:01 AM »
Santa Cruz and Creature VX decks are hella durable. The paint barely wants to come off, and they sure as hell don’t break.
Make real sure that you’re going to be stoked on the size and shape before copping.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 128
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2023, 10:50:39 AM »
Palace 8.38 with a 14.8 wb.
Its not the wheel base i hate, its the fact that its short with that big ass wb. I think its a 31.7 in lenght. So to have that wheelbase on a short deck, you get no fingers of flat. And everytruck i own, the hanger floats. Thunder, venture and indy all float.

Sucks cause i love the graphic.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2023, 10:51:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lots of FA wall hangers I'll prob never skate and am tired af of looking at. That and a stack of Quasi '21-'22 I'm pretty much over. So I guess the remorse is in shit I got I thought was hot, but I quickly outgrew style/company wise. Lesson learned. Same thing goes for oversized clothes.
[close]
You got the Jkjnsn Jesus quasi by any chance? Been looking for it as a wall hanger
[close]

[close]

Me and Ok probably skated each 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 from these pictures and would skate them again - put these in the classifieds they'd probably move quick.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2023, 11:19:24 AM »
those butter santosuosso jeans
too tall and slim for that shit
it looked like i was rocking charles barkleys hand me downs

What size? Lemme know if you a 34, I’d be down to take em off your hands
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2023, 11:24:28 AM »

Oh god, I forgot about Thunders. Yeah, I bought some 147s once and they lasted on my board all of about ten minutes. Obviously some of the best skaters who ever lived absolutely destroy on these trucks, but I could barely roll through a skatepark. I traded them for some Independent Reynolds Hollows which I skated down to the axle.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Crap

• Rep: 77
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2023, 11:56:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Might be my favorite trucks.
But they take some getting used too

What did you settle on?

Venture 5.6, which I know also aren't for everyone. The Thunders were too low, fucked with my wheelbase too much, and always felt too tight (even though I was also getting wheelbite on them). And I was trying to size down from 8.5", but 8" felt like a child's board (this was probably right before they started putting out 8.25" trucks). It was the most uncomfortable I've felt on a skateboard in many years.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2023, 12:48:10 PM »
Vans Skate Skate HI’s. Got them for $25 in my size and they press down on the top of my foot like crazy.

I have a pair too and there’s a seam there on top of my toes, which rubs like crazy. Not sure if they’ll break in eventually.  It’s been brutal breaking them in by just general wear. I really like how they look but fuck having shoes that feel like this. Never again.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2023, 01:15:42 PM »
I'm done with vans skate classic styles in general.

There's a two week sweet spot between when they're broken in and completely dead. What's the point

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2023, 02:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Nice doggo

Ya thanks. She’s dope!

@Mbrimson88

I swapped out that deck with a beat up Full SE this morning and my pop and flip was back right off the bat. Since youre the deck master, is it safe to say that I prefer steeper kicks and more concave? I dont understand the terminology…

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2023, 04:19:43 PM »

I swapped out that deck with a beat up Full SE this morning and my pop and flip was back right off the bat. Since youre the deck master, is it safe to say that I prefer steeper kicks and more concave? I dont understand the terminology…

Like a lot of people, (myself especially), you get very used to certain concaves and molds, so although two boards of much the same specs might seem ok on paper, there can be very different dimensions to the molds used, where the kicks start in relation to the deck bolt holes, angle of kicks and shape of the way the kicks come up from the middle of the board, especially if they are from different woodshops.

This is most likely what is going on here for you, as in the one board you are used to skating just works for you as you have become very used to the concave, the angle of the kicks, the amount of flat between bolts and kicks, etc.

Not to say you couldn't get used to something else as many people do without much trouble, but whenever I skate a different mold / woodshop board, I notice different things with how it works.  I definitely prefer certain molds, concaves and angles of kicks, especially the spoon concave kicks as per BBS / DLX boards.

On the other hand, if a board has not enough fingers of flat, or the wheelbase is too long for the mold, then it might never feel right, so either redrilling it or passing it on to someone who would either not understand things like that, eg beginner or someone who would otherwise not have a board and they will skate it regardless.

Palace 8.38 with a 14.8 wb.
Its not the wheel base i hate, its the fact that its short with that big ass wb. I think its a 31.7 in lenght. So to have that wheelbase on a short deck, you get no fingers of flat. And everytruck i own, the hanger floats. Thunder, venture and indy all float.

Sucks cause i love the graphic.

In the same way as described above, I have drilled in a board like that and had it work really well, either just the tail or both ends, which "lightened" the pop feel significantly.  I usually use the six hole baseplate as a template, so 3/8" in from each end, which can make a board end up with a very short wheelbase or a more normal wheelbase for what it is worth.

In my case, it was a 9 x 33, with 15+ so that brought it back in really well to 14.6, so I think that Palace board at 14.8 something would end up nicely at 14 to 14.1 but it is a bit of effort and making sure everything is square is key, otherwise it will be off center and not so good.

Failing that, if the graphic is rad, put it on the wall.  At least you can enjoy it more there than under your feet, but that is assuming you have another one of something else ready to go.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2023, 07:42:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Me and Ok probably skated each 8.5 x 32.125 x 14.25 from these pictures and would skate them again - put these in the classifieds they'd probably move quick.

That shape is so sick. One of two 8.5s that I’d gladly ride.
Right now I’m pretty stuck on the 8.125 quasi/ps stix shape that every normal person hates due to the weird tail.
All of those graphics are good too