Author Topic: Buyers remorse.  (Read 19573 times)

JimGeko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -38
Buyers remorse.
« on: April 10, 2023, 01:39:35 PM »
Looking through a stack of hardly used decks and noticed a couple of questionable purchases in there. In particular a welcome Chris miller shaped board with a ridiculous huge wheelbase. I don’t skate anything over 14.25wb. Why did I buy this boat?

Anyone got any regretful buys?
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

sebbo

• Rep: 20
Re: Buyers remorse.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 02:17:19 PM »
Bought ace trucks for 90€ and skated them twice before going back to my old ones.  :(

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 02:23:54 PM »
let us know what you're willing to sell for cheap dude at least make a buck off this crummy feeling we love you

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 02:24:24 PM »
Jason Dill all-chrome FA board.  Green griptape.  Black wheels.

Bought ace trucks for 90€ and skated them twice before going back to my old ones.  :(

Can’t handle greatness?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

slimvanilla

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 02:33:28 PM »
bought some Illegal Civ gear circa 2020. i was just a youngin with zero knowledge of what's core or cool. cringe every time i think back to that lol. not that i'm cool or core now, but i at least know that Illegal Civ is a dogshit company

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 02:38:13 PM »
Thought I was moving down to 8 from 8.125, so I bought a few 8s then immediately thought it was too skinny and sized up to 8.25 which is my new home. 

I bought some straye shoes on sale and they fit and everything but they feel so distant from a skate shoe.

I declare buyers remorse

sebbo

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 02:56:50 PM »
Can’t handle greatness?

Apparently not  ;)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 03:06:16 PM »
For the second time, I bought a shaped 8.75 blank deck in order to make it a transition setup. Just like the first (different) one, it has way too many fingers of flat and super flat kicks. Seems like it's supposed to be a cruiser. Turns out I hate it just like the first one that's now my cruiser. Any wide popsicle with steep kicks is a better transition setup. My regular setup is a better transition setup. I don't even need a transition setup nor will I ever need it

No idea why I keep doing this. At least it was cheap

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 03:11:22 PM »
I had a Polar P9 deck which I could swear that I absolutely loved. Bought a second one and it's a complete turd. How the hell did I ever skate this? It probably doesn't help that, after the P9, I moved down to 144s and eventually to an ~8" deck for most of my skating.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

OhioGuy

• Rep: 64
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 03:17:48 PM »
Too many decks to name. My mind changes so quickly. It's a bad idea for me to stack shit. Have three Welcome 8.5 TTs. Now I realize that I prefer to have a real nose that's at least 7 inches.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 03:36:05 PM »
Bought a SeaRat 10" popsicle. Threw it on 215s and thought it'd make a really fun slappy board mich like how he makes it look on his IG.

Then I realized it's too big for me — 33" long, 15" WB, etc. My stance felt way off and it felt way too big for me all around.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 03:36:44 PM »
Vans old skool pros. Got the worst athletes foot of my life because they didn’t ventilate properly. Will never purchase another pair of vans because of that

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 03:49:21 PM »
Grind King Disruptors. Thought I was on some irony shit proudly walking into my local asking for a pair with one of my homies giggling behind me to buy the biggest piece of shit trucks and cost-sunk-fallacy-ing my way through 3 months of owning them.
I was so pissed off that you needed a proprietary Grind King tool as pretty much all allen keys anyone had didn't fucking fit them so I had to order one of those online. I have used the tool a lot though, in conjunction with other tools.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 05:03:30 PM »
Grind King Disruptors. Thought I was on some irony shit proudly walking into my local asking for a pair with one of my homies giggling behind me to buy the biggest piece of shit trucks and cost-sunk-fallacy-ing my way through 3 months of owning them.
I was so pissed off that you needed a proprietary Grind King tool as pretty much all allen keys anyone had didn't fucking fit them so I had to order one of those online. I have used the tool a lot though, in conjunction with other tools.

Got them for a friend as an Xmas gift, he was obsessing over them ever since the early 2000s. Turns out the rebooted ones are way heavier, but actually turn.

He disliked them so much he went back to skating Tensor Alloys, the stock ones that come with Dwindle completes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 05:14:14 PM »
Austyn first board back on habitat, I believe it was the broken guitar one. I was so stoked to get it and it was my first habitat board in years but absolutely hated it. The shape was so weird, supper small and mellow tail with a tapered nose. Im usually pretty good at getting used to boards of different shapes but this one I hated.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 723
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 05:16:00 PM »
I bought two Dead Dave mutant shapes over the last couple years with the intention of setting them up with some wide Aces for an additional setup to mess around with on curbs.  Both times, I realized I’d rather just skate curbs with my regular board and sold them… then I bought a third one haha (which I WILL set up this summer and use). 

The moral of the story for me is to stick with decks that I can skate with 8.5” or 8.75” trucks that are good for a variety of things. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2023, 05:21:52 PM »
*looks over at the massive box of trucks and those ill fitting 808s*

No, nope…whatever do you mean?

Granted I have skated all of them (well all but three sets) and everything I buy,  it helps ease the regret.

Sell them off?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 07:46:29 PM by Xen »

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2023, 05:31:57 PM »
i have a bunch, i have like 4 brand new pairs of og accels that im never gonna skate.

i dont have a shop so i order boards and hope for the best and like 2/3 of the time i fucking hate the shape once i set it up. 2 weeks ago i literally set up 2 brand new decks in a row and was like "nope" on both of them, so far i have 3 decks i've gripped out of my stack that i hate. the only way they're ever getting touched again is if it's absolute last resort

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2023, 05:42:58 PM »
Polar big boys
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2023, 05:45:47 PM »
So many pairs of shoes that I’ll never skate but am too lazy to post to sell
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 06:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Got them for a friend as an Xmas gift, he was obsessing over them ever since the early 2000s. Turns out the rebooted ones are way heavier, but actually turn.

He disliked them so much he went back to skating Tensor Alloys, the stock ones that come with Dwindle completes.

I didn't actually find them to be that heavy, or turn-y- but if you're coming from Tensors which I've heard are very light and turn as much as a freestyle truck then damn

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 06:10:14 PM »
Maglights. Never gonna skate em on my normal setup.

Ill fitting shoes.

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2023, 06:11:48 PM »
Jason Dill all-chrome FA board.  Green griptape.  Black wheels.

Expand Quote
[close]

Can’t handle greatness?

I wasn't the only one. It's sitting in my closet, collecting dust

roll_dog

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
I regret buying half the winter sale decks I ended up with, two madness decks with weird short mellow kicks, and a steep nose hockey that seems too different than I usually ride.

I also regret buying a lot of impulsive stuff I got in the name of supporting my local shop, I felt some weird sense of obligation to buy stuff since they have a ramp I skate which made me buy stuff I didn't even really want.

Finally I also bought some shoes that were too small after reading that there is supposed to be a half inch of toe room, when really that is BS and you just want to make sure the widest part of the shoe is aligned with the widest part of your foot for a proper fit.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 07:35:20 PM »
I also regret buying a lot of impulsive stuff I got in the name of supporting my local shop, I felt some weird sense of obligation to buy stuff since they have a ramp I skate which made me buy stuff I didn't even really want.

Finally I also bought some shoes that were too small after reading that there is supposed to be a half inch of toe room, when really that is BS and you just want to make sure the widest part of the shoe is aligned with the widest part of your foot for a proper fit.

Same, bought some Theories tops in Medium thinking they would fit like DLX tops, but they are super baggy. Been refreshing my wardrobe of t-shirts, the S sizes fit well when new but they shrink after the first wash which is a huge bummer. Got a bunch of AH / Real t-shirts that have sleeves too short, doesn't help that I'm short with with broad shoulders so sizing is always a crap shoot.

For shoes I tend to stick with my regular shoe size and read the reviews on here instead of Wear Tested, wider pool of testers on here.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 07:46:21 PM »
Hell, there’s always something. I wouldn’t call it buyers remorse so much as I’m a dumbass who gets into a good thing, changes something and I’m left with stuff I don’t think I like anymore

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2023, 08:06:49 PM »
Hell, there’s always something. I wouldn’t call it buyers remorse so much as I’m a dumbass who gets into a good thing, changes something and I’m left with stuff I don’t think I like anymore

(looks at stack of Element decks purchased on discount)

Pfft, get over the madness brah, your gear doesn't matter, it's all about the skills!!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 08:08:29 PM »
Every time I've ever played baseball. 1st hit is always free and suddenly boom its the 6th night and you've robbed the entire county and gotta go shoplift some nydol and shit from the same place you've been buying glass roses and chore from all week. Def buyers remorse still some 20 years later.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

stupidfuckface

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2023, 05:30:56 AM »
Slappy trucks..
Set them up, skated them for six weeks, still felt like I was riding someone else’s board. Still thought they were decent, assumed it was just me.
Went back and set up a brand new pair of forged hollow indies, and holy shit, the difference is so noticeable. 

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2023, 05:39:13 AM »
felt like I was riding someone else’s board.

That's exacly how I feel whenever I skate Indies for some reason. They good, but they never feel like they're "my" trucks. Might be the height? I'm used to skating either Thunders or Aces, which are both lower. Every so often I set up my 149 indies and go right back to Ace or Thunder right after.