Author Topic: BATB13  (Read 115689 times)

steele

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: BATB13
« Reply #1440 on: November 12, 2023, 08:58:43 PM »

Holt skunking Cole was unexpected. Maybe it’s time for Cole to bow out of these.

Lol he did make the top 4.

And the BATB needs all the actual legit pros they can get. Has any of the other 3 had a pro model deck in a skateshop before? The games used to be awesome as it was the best pros skating flatground, now it's the guys trying to be the best on flat.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1441 on: November 12, 2023, 09:23:32 PM »
I am a amazed by BATB popularity on slap....almost 50 pages?

I don't think ive heard any mention BATB irl for like 10 plus years

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1442 on: November 12, 2023, 09:24:07 PM »
Nick is pro for Cody Mac’s company Snake Farm

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #1443 on: November 12, 2023, 09:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Battle of the worst haircuts
[close]

Was there even a bad hair cut there? Don't think so

Maybe Nick's but that's usually because locks on lighter skin people can look off to some people. But if not that, what are you basing bad haircuts on: personsl distaste for these skaters? Hahaha

Also, Chris skating the mini board during 3rd place battle was easily the most entertaining/funny part to enjoy from the finals.

Pj Ladd has won twice
Jamie Griffin has won twice, but is the first to do it back to back

PJ won back to back.

Tyler's hair looked weird.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
« Reply #1444 on: November 12, 2023, 09:46:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe Nick's but that's usually because locks on lighter skin people can look off to some people. But if not that, what are you basing bad haircuts on: personsl distaste for these skaters? Hahaha

Also, Chris skating the mini board during 3rd place battle was easily the most entertaining/funny part to enjoy from the finals.

Pj Ladd has won twice
[close]

PJ won back to back.

Agreed. Gummo lookin azz
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

IBSflippedeltoro

• Rep: -29
« Reply #1445 on: November 13, 2023, 02:33:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Pj Ladd has won twice
[close]

PJ won back to back.

[close]
Agreed. Gummo lookin azz

He's balding.

Why am I the only one who mentioned he should've re-do that fs bigspin and his whack sw tre revert? Berriuma riders definitely get a better treatment. I'm just glad Jamie won. The only one who wasn't so sure of himself and was just happy to be there. Yellow-fever Nick and Baldy kept throwing their hands at the crowd like goofballs.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #1446 on: November 13, 2023, 03:36:22 AM »
Say what you will about Jamie, seeing him knock Tyler out so comprehensively after all that showboating was a delight to behold.. i liked that he went back through all the basic tricks that Tyler skipped as well before sending him packing.

Watching the whole Cariuma seeding plan crumble for a second year in a row is just a joy.

Personally I like what Jamie has going on within his little (flat) corner of skating, would be good to see him get on Jart or something.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1447 on: November 13, 2023, 03:58:03 AM »
Jamie Griffin is the James Joyce of flatground

'ate berra
'ate cariuma
'ate the berrics

luv flatground
luv ireland
luv jamie griffin

simple as

fake 7ales god was indeed a highlight

god bless gifted hater for the stream

Watched him as well though he so fucking annoying when keeps blabbing and not paying attention whilst the games are going on.

He's balding.

Why am I the only one who mentioned he should've re-do that fs bigspin and his whack sw tre revert? Berriuma riders definitely get a better treatment. I'm just glad Jamie won. The only one who wasn't so sure of himself and was just happy to be there. Yellow-fever Nick and Baldy kept throwing their hands at the crowd like goofballs.

There's no need to say that man, because it's redundant; 85% of skaters have yellow fever

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1448 on: November 13, 2023, 05:01:47 AM »
I’ve always been a fan of Nick since his MAJER days and wanted him to win it from the get go so I didn’t pay much attention during his first game with Chris because I was invested a little bit, but during the game with Jamie and Tyler, and then Tyler and Cole’s sort of mess around game, all I could think about was how goddamn tight all of three of their trucks were. Then Nick comes in for the finals rolling around on these loosey goosey motherfuckers lol

Sorry, it was too hard to keep interest in the games so my mind wandered a lot.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -534
« Reply #1449 on: November 13, 2023, 06:18:19 AM »
Say what you will about Jamie, seeing him knock Tyler out so comprehensively after all that showboating was a delight to behold.. i liked that he went back through all the basic tricks that Tyler skipped as well before sending him packing.

Watching the whole Cariuma seeding plan crumble for a second year in a row is just a joy.

Personally I like what Jamie has going on within his little (flat) corner of skating, would be good to see him get on Jart or something.

Yeah when you really look at how Jamie got to this win, it’s the hardest seeding ever I bet in one of these.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #1450 on: November 13, 2023, 09:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nick’s street footy still way better than Jamie’s but fun game to watch! So hyped for the homie to get 2nd place

Have seen Holt kill our local like y’all have no fucken idea. Also genuinely a sweet and cool ass dude. Riding his ass tonight cuz everyone here at home is proud
[close]
seems like the berries totally blackballed nick after pros vs joes, which is bs because he beat pj ladd and morgan smith. batb8 should have been his time to shine. these days each younger generation of skaters is orders of magnitude better than the last, so by that fact alone his chances of beating jamie were very slim. i say that really in a positive way for him. there really wasn't anything he could have done.

also agree cole was really off tonight. missed a bs flip, nollie 3 heel, rick flip, a bunch of stuff that's table stakes in a finals night.

i think after missing the hardflip cole said "i actually practiced that"...i swear hardflips are a gene, they're easy as fuck or you can be a two time SOTY, flip your board for decades and still not have them figured out.
[close]

The game with koston is local legend here. We all disagreed with the outcome and it was a huge reason why I avoided the berries and kinda had a distaste for Koston…
But you ask Nick and he’s got a positive view on it. Dude is just happy to skate.
[close]
Borra and Kevin Duffel didn't want Holt to advance any further in BATB7 because of his kinda boring personality, and basically did everything they could to keep him out. (A similar thing happened with Juan "Caballo" Escoto.) In every Berries staff meeting back then, borra would say "Nick Holt just sounds like a pussy's name." Such a fuckin weird thing for a middle aged man to say about a kid. This is back in 2014 so he could have been in his teens, probably.

Wasn't this that guy form this battle of aberrica thing? He won by doing freestyle shitty pressure flips. I tried to find those batters but burra deleted all videos

work_lurker

• Rep: 106
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1451 on: November 13, 2023, 10:42:40 AM »
The finals night livestream was one of the most cringe and discomforting things I've ever watched. No joke, Borra is seriously such an unbearable person to watch. Every time he opened his mouth, I wanted to sew my ears shut. He's like a 7-year old neighborhood bully, but his snips aren't funny, just weird coming from a 40-something year old man. "I'm not going to say any names, just initials....Ricky Glaser.."
C'mon dude, you corny as fuck.

Also, he was a fucking terrible referee! And making Chris Cole finish a game of skate on his (Borra's) son's mini board, while Tyler Peterson is doing shit on a normal bad was so wack. Mike Mo and CROB saying it was a nothing game got under Borra's skin too. Then Borra mentioned 3rd place mattered because of the prize money involved, I thought "why the fuck would they not let Chris set up a new board if there's money on the line?"

I'm so glad this train-wreck is finally coming to an end. Watching something you once enjoyed mutate into an entity beyond recognition, and completely decimate the fond memories you held of it, is just sad. Can't even say R.I.P, because there hasn't been any peace for awhile. Just complete destruction.

When life closes one door (to the Berrics), it opens another one (to a brighter future, and a better tomorrow)..
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2314
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1452 on: November 13, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »
So it's RSVP Berries then, is it?

Rad.

Was the "death blow" (sponsored by Liquid Death, BTW) delivered by Griffin when he prevented Cumorama's chance at a top podium spot, thereby ensuring they withdraw funding from skateboarding portion of the marketing, effectively starving the Berries in the process, OR was it Pederson's inability to prevent Jamie from taking top honors that started the death spiral? 

Either way, I'd like to express some small amount of gratitude to them both for their mutually intertwined rolls in putting to rest an embarrassing, sputtering entity that seems to presently exist for the sole purpose of promoting Xenu shoes.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -108
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1453 on: November 13, 2023, 11:16:24 AM »
Here’s a nice palette cleanser. Carroll vs Chad Tim Tim is great. Johnny Layton has the best switch tre ever.

https://youtu.be/L75EdIiDIXw?si=31JjbpFzoLtrofUf

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1454 on: November 13, 2023, 11:44:33 AM »

even when he doesn't have a toothpick in his mouth he looks like he has a toothpick in his mouth. that's the type of commitment to the bit that I can genuinely appreciate.

burntout

• Rep: -46
« Reply #1455 on: November 13, 2023, 12:31:44 PM »
which was worse? batb12 or batb13?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 183
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1456 on: November 13, 2023, 12:42:40 PM »
13 at least 12 had some drama that it fun to follow, this year has been pretty boring for me.
check my music

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #1457 on: November 13, 2023, 01:36:42 PM »

Also, he was a fucking terrible referee! And making Chris Cole finish a game of skate on his (Borra's) son's mini board, while Tyler Peterson is doing shit on a normal bad was so wack. Mike Mo and CROB saying it was a nothing game got under Borra's skin too. Then Borra mentioned 3rd place mattered because of the prize money involved, I thought "why the fuck would they not let Chris set up a new board if there's money on the line?"

Tyler could've at least offered his board or both should've used the mini board

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #1458 on: November 13, 2023, 02:32:47 PM »
I just hope BATB14 is mini boards only

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1086
« Reply #1459 on: November 13, 2023, 02:40:13 PM »
It feels like a low hanging fruit for another TF or group to take this over and re-legitimize it with skaters who aren’t building bombs/ learning quadruple heel flips in a shed in the woods.

MrDuckey

• Rep: -106
« Reply #1460 on: November 13, 2023, 02:41:14 PM »

These days it's too easy for anyone to make a deck and slap a name on it. These are the new ams. A professional is somebody paid by a company with at least a 20 year history OR started more recently by a legend that has the right to bestow such a status like P-Rod or Shane O'Neill.

work_lurker

• Rep: 106
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #1461 on: November 13, 2023, 05:20:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
These days it's too easy for anyone to make a deck and slap a name on it. These are the new ams. A professional is somebody paid by a company with at least a 20 year history OR started more recently by a legend that has the right to bestow such a status like P-Rod or Shane O'Neill.

Good afternoon Mr. Duckey, I'm not a fan of Cody BigMac, but I can absolutely acknowledge he is really fucking good at skateboarding. When he nollie big-heeled Carlsbad gap he earned his staying power. He's not a legend in my book, but he probably is in a couple Texan's books. I guess what I'm trying to say is him starting a board company and turning people pro is warranted.

Now if Nick Holt started his own company, to turn himself pro (like Ninejah did with I&I lest we forget), then that would be straight unacceptable.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #1462 on: November 13, 2023, 05:29:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Good afternoon Mr. Duckey, I'm not a fan of Cody BigMac, but I can absolutely acknowledge he is really fucking good at skateboarding. When he nollie big-heeled Carlsbad gap he earned his staying power. He's not a legend in my book, but he probably is in a couple Texan's books. I guess what I'm trying to say is him starting a board company and turning people pro is warranted.

Now if Nick Holt started his own company, to turn himself pro (like Ninejah did with I&I lest we forget), then that would be straight unacceptable.

Ok, not to come in and defend Nyjah (even though that’s what I’m doing) let’s not act like he wasn’t at a pro level already when I&I started. I also believe that was his dads move and not entirely his own. Look at us, lurking Slap on a Monday evening coming to defend Cody Mac and Nyjah.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1463 on: November 13, 2023, 05:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Ok, not to come in and defend Nyjah (even though that’s what I’m doing) let’s not act like he wasn’t at a pro level already when I&I started. I also believe that was his dads move and not entirely his own. Look at us, lurking Slap on a Monday evening coming to defend Cody Mac and Nyjah.
What even is SLAP anymore?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • sup dog
« Reply #1464 on: November 13, 2023, 06:07:48 PM »
Maybe it's just my computer.... but BATB 13  Three hour video is now Private.... I couldn't finish watching my favorite silky smooth talker on the mic :(  He should get into voice acting work.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1465 on: November 13, 2023, 07:15:43 PM »
This thread got me thinking.
Quick question: in the end of the reading of the BATB rules, they always say, “Let’s keep it lean…”  what do we suppose that is intended to mean, precisely?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • sup dog
« Reply #1466 on: November 13, 2023, 07:24:22 PM »
Quick question: in the end of the reading of the BATB rules, they always say, “Let’s keep it lean…”  what do we suppose that is intended to mean, precisely?
It’s just rhyming with Mean….  And with Berra a film guy, it may very well be a quote from “Stripes”: “lean, mean, fighting machine” (or some other movie that originated that phrase)

Just my guess…

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1467 on: November 13, 2023, 09:25:12 PM »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -534
« Reply #1468 on: November 13, 2023, 09:30:56 PM »
It feels like a low hanging fruit for another TF or group to take this over and re-legitimize it with skaters who aren’t building bombs/ learning quadruple heel flips in a shed in the woods.

Randomly calling the Irish guy a bomber?

He seems pretty chill to me

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #1469 on: November 13, 2023, 10:42:53 PM »

Maybe just ‘quick’?