Author Topic: Where did all the zip-up hoodies go?  (Read 3370 times)

manysnakes

Re: Where did all the zip-up hoodies go?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2023, 11:04:30 AM »
i personally couldnt stand them, a lot of time when you washed em and they shrank a tiny bit, the fabric shrinks but the metal obviously doesnt, so you got this belly bulge swell shape going on at the bottom.

Gotta wash it in cold water and line dry it. I do this with basically all my clothes, but I understand that it's not an option for a lot of people.

kook1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2023, 11:11:49 AM »

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2023, 11:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote
i personally couldnt stand them, a lot of time when you washed em and they shrank a tiny bit, the fabric shrinks but the metal obviously doesnt, so you got this belly bulge swell shape going on at the bottom.
[close]

Gotta wash it in cold water and line dry it. I do this with basically all my clothes, but I understand that it's not an option for a lot of people.

a fold up hanging rack is like $12 at walmart, cold water and hang drying should be mandatory for most clothes being washed, stuff just lasts so much longer.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2023, 12:28:15 PM »
i have one from Uniclo that's lasted me years

lots of non skatebrands make them
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

manysnakes

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2023, 12:32:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

a fold up hanging rack is like $12 at walmart, cold water and hang drying should be mandatory for most clothes being washed, stuff just lasts so much longer.

Yeah, I have two of these Ikea dry racks, and I can hang multiple loads of laundry from them at once.

switchfakie

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2023, 01:42:12 PM »
they always sucked, im stoked theyre gone

edit: bc if your torso height didnt match the zip up hoodie, the zipper would scrunch up when you sat down and looked like you had a boner. i dont miss that at all

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 69
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2023, 01:55:46 PM »
Everyone saying that lots of non-skate brands make zip-ups are missing the point that you become a walking billboard whenever you get dressed, so I try to only wear stuff from companies I fully back. I would rather give my money to Jim Thiebaud than some corporation.

manysnakes

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2023, 02:48:08 PM »
Everyone saying that lots of non-skate brands make zip-ups are missing the point that you become a walking billboard whenever you get dressed, so I try to only wear stuff from companies I fully back. I would rather give my money to Jim Thiebaud than some corporation.

Buying a generic hoodie makes you a billboard, but buying the same hoodie with a skate company name on it makes you authentic?

Weeb_poser

• Rep: 1
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2023, 05:39:40 PM »
Pullovers have a higher comfyness level

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2023, 05:45:11 PM »
Zip-ups are back in full swing, mainly in streetwear, but also starting to pop again in skateboarding.

I had a olive green habitat one I wore until it was dust during all my teens, loved it to death so they hold a special place in my heart.

This last 2 years I got like 4 or 5 new ones, mainly from streetwear brands, and altho the prices are quite high I think the fits and quality are much better, at least in the ones I bought. And they also have actual attention to detail, like the zippers on Punk&Yo ones, it’s so sick and stands out…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2023, 08:12:03 PM »
Zip-ups are back in full swing, mainly in streetwear, but also starting to pop again in skateboarding.

I had a olive green habitat one I wore until it was dust during all my teens, loved it to death so they hold a special place in my heart.

This last 2 years I got like 4 or 5 new ones, mainly from streetwear brands, and altho the prices are quite high I think the fits and quality are much better, at least in the ones I bought. And they also have actual attention to detail, like the zippers on Punk&Yo ones, it’s so sick and stands out…
”hey zip hoodies are back in full swing like atreeetwear and now with skaters (late) but I’ve been ahead of that and gotten new ones (hey guess which brands) and have been wearing them for almost 2 years now, check out these sick details on my zip hoody”

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1602
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2023, 08:30:02 PM »
I think it’s a price point thing too and more difficult to screen.  I like the accessibility though….taking off w pull over feels like a hockey fight and if you ever put one on backwards while walking down the stairs……it could be the end of you. 

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2023, 08:44:08 PM »
Pullovers hoody just feels too good tho. Too classic. Nothing better.

Zip hoodies for those people overly worried about layering and ohh if I get hot I’ll unzip my hoody. REI base layer to the coffee shop energy

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 69
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2023, 08:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Buying a generic hoodie makes you a billboard, but buying the same hoodie with a skate company name on it makes you authentic?

Buying a Uniqlo hoodie = you're a walking Uniqlo billboard. Buying a Krooked hoodie = you're a walking Krooked billboard. You're gonna be a billboard either way, never said anything about "authenticity" I said I would rather put money in the pockets of skater run companies than suits.

manysnakes

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2023, 09:31:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Buying a Uniqlo hoodie = you're a walking Uniqlo billboard. Buying a Krooked hoodie = you're a walking Krooked billboard. You're gonna be a billboard either way, never said anything about "authenticity" I said I would rather put money in the pockets of skater run companies than suits.

But my Uniqlo hoodie doesn’t say “Uniqlo” anywhere on its exterior..?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2023, 11:02:52 PM »
Pullovers hoody just feels too good tho. Too classic. Nothing better.

Zip hoodies for those people overly worried about layering and ohh if I get hot I’ll unzip my hoody. REI base layer to the coffee shop energy

Zip hoodies are also good for when you don't wanna mess your hair up by pulling over a hoodie but still need a layer to be warm and want a hood.

I hated hoodies forever because they'd fuck up my hair somehow and I was super self conscious about it at the time (teenage years)
Super Champion Fun Zone

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2023, 11:21:02 PM »
Do they make button-up hoodies?

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2023, 11:16:20 AM »
I hate zip ups because just about any other type of outerwear is superior in fashion sense, practicality, or both.

Freezing? Jacket
Cold? Pullover
Chilly? Denim jacket

So zip ups are for when it isn’t too cold, you may need to remove it, and you just really want to look like crap

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 880
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2023, 11:59:03 PM »
nah zip ups are fire
just not as a layering piece
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

fur lined sea

• Rep: 239
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2023, 02:15:22 AM »
Andrew Pearl pulled them off.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2023, 03:05:29 AM »
I hate zip ups because just about any other type of outerwear is superior in fashion sense, practicality, or both.

Freezing? Jacket
Cold? Pullover
Chilly? Denim jacket

So zip ups are for when it isn’t too cold, you may need to remove it, and you just really want to look like crap
Following that logic:
Freezing? Use the hoodie
Cold? Zip it up
Chilly? Zip it down
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2023, 04:17:06 AM »
These contrast colored zip ups ruined all zip up hoodies forever and I'm thankful for it at this point. If you need a zipper or buttons in front get a fuckin proper jacket then, these belong in zumiez

Yeah this did kinda ruin them for me. This is all I think about now when i hear "zip up." I get why the kids wanna wear them ironically now, though.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2023, 04:24:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Freezing? Jacket
Cold? Pullover
Chilly? Denim jacket

[close]
Following that logic:
Freezing? Use the hoodie
Cold? Zip it up
Chilly? Zip it down

I’m not saying it doesn’t work for some people (“you really want to look like crap” is more directed at myself), but I personally look like absolute shit with them zipped. The weird way it sits when the fabric has slightly shrunken combined with my frame just sucks.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 260
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2023, 06:34:16 AM »
You all are getting some dollar store hoodies if your zipper is shrinking and rippling. Get a decent zip up and it will change shit for you!

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -516
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2023, 08:00:27 AM »

all the way, all the way
(i still have this one, slightly different colourway though)

I wore this last week to the gym . It’s in my backseat right now. I made my mom send it to me last year after another thread brought it up.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Get bent
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2023, 08:14:19 AM »
Expand Quote

all the way, all the way
(i still have this one, slightly different colourway though)
[close]

I wore this last week to the gym . It’s in my backseat right now. I made my mom send it to me last year after another thread brought it up.

If I seen you wearing that anywhere I’d attempt to buy it off your back
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Pastasash

• Rep: 81
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2023, 08:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Freezing? Jacket
Cold? Pullover
Chilly? Denim jacket

[close]
Following that logic:
Freezing? Use the hoodie
Cold? Zip it up
Chilly? Zip it down
[close]

I’m not saying it doesn’t work for some people (“you really want to look like crap” is more directed at myself), but I personally look like absolute shit with them zipped. The weird way it sits when the fabric has slightly shrunken combined with my frame just sucks.

I know what you mean, I look like an idiot in denim jackets so that's why zip ups work better for me in those type of climates, also zip up fleeces are great too! You of course have to get one from a quality brand, not some cheap kirkland costco crap, if you want it to look normal when it's zipped up.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2023, 08:59:31 AM »
still (and always will be) an essential layer under a jean jacket or chore coat
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Jawn Gyatti

• Rep: 6
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2023, 10:12:23 AM »
I still wear two RVCA hoodies that are two sizes too small just because they have the zippered front and they're comfy as hell.

blueskynoise

• Rep: 30
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2023, 11:42:22 AM »
Los Angeles apparel are pretty cheap, decent quality and made in USA