Author Topic: Doobie Pro for Antihero  (Read 8884 times)

Bummer Vacation

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
Re: Doobie Pro for Antihero
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2023, 11:07:01 AM »
Does AH still vote to get someone on the team?

TheWineClub

• Rep: 44
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2023, 11:18:40 AM »
What a doozie

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2023, 11:23:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did I miss something? He just seems like some Stoney French dude who’s pretty chill. Why should I assume he’s a bad person?
[close]

I'm not sure whether it may be one specific incident but I guess subsumed from some of his interviews, behaviours in videos and the vans team's "performance" on that vladimir film festival a couple years back, he comes of as pretty drunk and rude guy with egoistic, sexist and antisocial (mostly towards non-skater though) behaviour. Of course, that may be exaggerated, but I think that's the vibe lots of people get from hin and thus dont seem to like him.

Here some passages that may explain/ shed some light on the ressentiments against him (http://soloskatemag.com/victor-pellegrin-the-luckiest-bastard):
"[...] So we were on the road for two weeks in a camper van with two girls and they don’t drink, they don’t smoke… It was fun though, but it was hard for them sometimes because we just had completely different lifestyles."

"No, no, I don’t care. It’s just some thing when I get drunk, I do some helicopters."

"Don’t come when you sit down or it gets on your pants. If you have time in an airport you can go for a shwank." [shwank is shitting while simultaneously wanking]
[close]

What’s wrong with this? People been making JO jokes forever. People been running around naked when drunk forever. And yup, sounds like different lifestyles. Maybe the dudes a tool i have no idea, but this seems like nothing compared to AH of old. Jesus
[close]

Yeah you guys might have missed the James Craig interview about what to wear to strip clubs, but then again that was 20 years ago.

Still, this all seems rather bengin?
[close]
Much of Slap is party averse.  God forbid a skater have a couple and do something kinda stupid.

yes, I wasn't trying to prove he is "guilty" or anything, but just elaborating what kind of vibe he gives off to much people. Often it seems that he doesn't really care about others, some people love such a character, others dont.

That being said, the vans team's behaviour at vladimir film festival seems rather over the top

Some more insight what people dont like about him: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=124853.msg3932445#msg3932445

Edit: that thread is acutally filled with examples and reasons not to like him

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »
Yuck 👎
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2023, 11:27:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did I miss something? He just seems like some Stoney French dude who’s pretty chill. Why should I assume he’s a bad person?
[close]

I'm not sure whether it may be one specific incident but I guess subsumed from some of his interviews, behaviours in videos and the vans team's "performance" on that vladimir film festival a couple years back, he comes of as pretty drunk and rude guy with egoistic, sexist and antisocial (mostly towards non-skater though) behaviour. Of course, that may be exaggerated, but I think that's the vibe lots of people get from hin and thus dont seem to like him.

Here some passages that may explain/ shed some light on the ressentiments against him (http://soloskatemag.com/victor-pellegrin-the-luckiest-bastard):
"[...] So we were on the road for two weeks in a camper van with two girls and they don’t drink, they don’t smoke… It was fun though, but it was hard for them sometimes because we just had completely different lifestyles."

"No, no, I don’t care. It’s just some thing when I get drunk, I do some helicopters."

"Don’t come when you sit down or it gets on your pants. If you have time in an airport you can go for a shwank." [shwank is shitting while simultaneously wanking]
[close]

What’s wrong with this? People been making JO jokes forever. People been running around naked when drunk forever. And yup, sounds like different lifestyles. Maybe the dudes a tool i have no idea, but this seems like nothing compared to AH of old. Jesus
[close]

Yeah you guys might have missed the James Craig interview about what to wear to strip clubs, but then again that was 20 years ago.

[close]
Much of Slap is party averse.  God forbid a skater have a couple and do something kinda stupid.

“I’m a skateboarder, why should consequences for my actions ever apply to me”

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2023, 11:28:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Oh stop I have partied as hard as anyone and I still get smashed on occasion. Taking your dick out in mixed company has never been cool. And don’t give me some “but they’re European “ like that’s an excuse.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2023, 11:32:03 AM »
Looks like y’all want a company called super hero or something.
Support your local skate shop

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2023, 11:33:30 AM »

hahaha, fair enough, kudos and gnarred

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2275
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2023, 11:43:31 AM »
Outstanding work here.
Well played.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 34
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2023, 11:43:49 AM »

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2023, 12:10:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Oh stop I have partied as hard as anyone and I still get smashed on occasion. Taking your dick out in mixed company has never been cool. And don’t give me some “but they’re European “ like that’s an excuse.
If you like Big Brother then you are a hypocrite.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2023, 12:21:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
If you like Big Brother then you are a hypocrite.
The show? Never watched it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2023, 12:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Outstanding work here.
Well played.

Anti hero isn’t the opposite of superhero though.  It would be a board company called Traditional Protagonist

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2023, 12:47:37 PM »
dude kinda seems like the embodiment of a fs 5-0 fs 180 out on a hubba

Lin Thizzy

• Rep: 86
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2023, 12:52:02 PM »

lol best comment in this thread

ThomasShitt

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2023, 01:01:06 PM »
whoobie

benboardbreaker

« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »
ha what a joke. dude is not at that level.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2023, 01:03:21 PM »
Good for him, this has to be like the 3rd or 4th dude to turn pro for Anti-Hero that I didn’t even realize was their am.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2023, 01:15:45 PM »
dude kinda seems like the embodiment of a fs 5-0 fs 180 out on a hubba

that about sums it up right there

nick board now
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

benboardbreaker

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2023, 01:23:27 PM »
a better fit for him would be if he went pro for antiz or something.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2023, 01:42:02 PM »
a better fit for him would be if he went pro for antiz or something.

Or yogurt

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2023, 01:57:59 PM »
Buncha 35yr olds getting mad at this… AH is for the youth, Doobies part in the voyage vid was a heavy rewind & has been crushing it for years… all ya’ll have seem to forgotten about the whole Manchild thing… people grow & make shitty stupid decisions while young, Nick next up

No, fa is for the youth. Ah is for 40 year old bowl trolls.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • Get bent
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2023, 02:04:47 PM »
Genuinely thought this dude rode for jart
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2023, 02:20:53 PM »

Just about...

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2023, 02:21:44 PM »
Separately, but related, I would rather Nick Mathews not turn pro for anti hero and also not ride for them.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2023, 03:50:26 PM »
Anti hero needs a refresher. The energy seems gone.
The best thing they’ve done recently is the Joe Buffalo deck. That was solid.

Maybe they can go on another Beauty and the Beast and swap riders.

I imagine Julien likes their lower profile lately. They still sell plenty of boards without the attention.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2023, 04:05:28 PM »
I’m sure a beauty and the beast would go over real well on here….trade Simon for Nick Matthews and this place would implode….

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2023, 04:10:36 PM »
Hell no

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -474
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2023, 05:34:40 PM »
ha what a joke. dude is not at that level.
agree he is not pro level but he is the best brand fit out of all the riders AH has added lately

Copy pasting my litmus tests from the other thread:

he doesn't have a gritty enough image,
or has not said enough controversial things (daan, grosso, doobie),
or does not appear to be out of his fuckin mind (gus, andy roy, doobie),
or goated (daan when he was am, GT, cardiel, TNT in his prime)
to be on the (hell fuckin ride) one eight.

point is you gotta stand out a bit, and blake is pretty cookie cutter/clean cut.

Another way. I like to imagine that Julien has a couple of highly refined litmus tests for a good fit on AH:
1. Does the candidate behave in such a way that one could reasonably ascertain that they more often than not have unpredictable, illogical, and/or violent tendencies that often require social/medical/federal/legal intervention to resolve?
2. Does the candidate skateboard in such a way that one could reasonably ascertain that they are very much in fact "hellride" in every possible sense of the word?
3. Is the candidate morally ambiguous? (bonus if they endorse or participate in the exploitation of the homeless/spitting on people)
4. Would an average person on the street be intimidated to ask the candidate for directions?
5. If the candidate were to go camping, would they prefer to do so without bringing a first aid kit and/or anything a responsible person would consider reasonable?
6. Is the candidate more likely to fail a 9th grade reading comprehension exercise than pass it?
7. Given the opportunity to make a meaningful speech in front of a live audience, would the candidate likely use 15 words or less in a barely intelligible, passionate, loud, long, drawn out manner (see GT's SOTY speech)?
8. Can the associated behaviors or inferred attributes of the answers to the above questions be documented for profitably engaging content?

To be fair, AH today is much different than it was in the past (kind of like how Baker is cleaner cut than it was in the PD era). More riders have started families, Nick and Finn seem normal, lots of nike riders, collab with supreme. But to really retain their "authenticity" as a brand which has really been their selling point, they kind of have no choice but to hold onto and enforce these kind of litmus tests because without them they'd become the same as every other skateboard company. Given the direction the brand is going, it probably is going to become the same as every other skateboard company, albeit very, very slowly as it loses its edge.

Clearly Blake would fail all of those tests
BUT,
maybe Nick Matthews needs a normal roommate.

so yeah. this is 100% a case of #8. Personality makes content, content pays. Can you imagine any non-skateboarding B-roll of Nick? It'd be more exciting to watch paint dry.

Gleefull508

• Rep: 26
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2023, 05:53:45 PM »
have they made nick mathews pro yet?