11 (3.1%)
Dying to Live
3 (0.8%)
Mosaic
16 (4.5%)
Menikmati
10 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 351

Author Topic: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3  (Read 7221 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
Re: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2023, 09:45:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How has Fully Flared not been mentioned?
[close]
The last time anybody though fully flared was the best video of all time was a week before fully flared came out
[close]

dam..this is funny asf. yeah i think fully flared kinda lowkey killed lakai. the company was never the same after that video. beware of the flare was so sick and is the "true" lakai video imho.

i remember reading a kelly bird interview back in the day saying they had to sell a bunch of vulcs and shitty shoes to make up for the loss they took making fully flared.
[close]

Lakai flew too close to the sun with FF, worked their team to the brink that they could never recover from and achieved heights they have never been able to reach subsequently. I remember Slap loving Guy's part and I too go emotional when I used to rewatch it, everyone was divided on Pops' part.

My home internet was crap so I went to an internet cafe to download the video to watch off my laptop with the usual skate crew. I was they only one enthralled from start to end, by midway they were completely checked out. I thought they were a bunch of plebs, but in hindsight they were right; the video had no reason being that drawn out.
[close]

Yeah the Ty regiment seemed like it really broke the spirits of a lot involved (or more likely he was the easy scapegoat for management) and then Pretty Sweet was the death blow
[close]
Fully flared was skateboarding's Avatar. You can say it's not a great video watching it now but denying how fucking huge it was at the time is stupid.
[close]

I’d go with Endgame.  An amazing effort and stacked cast that kind of killed everyone’s appetite for more
[close]
Maybe but i don't remember endgame at all tho. Prob fully flared is lord of the rings and pretty sweet is the hobbit. Pretty similar feeling seeing the five armies and the PS prem

Hmmm well I’ll counter by saying FF was the Deer Hunter and PS was Heavens Gate.   Both extremely indulgent, but HG collapses under the excess (and brings the expensive full length down with it) but could likely be saved with a judicious edit

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2023, 09:47:52 PM »
After hearing crob and jeron harp on about yeah right for the 200th time I just wanted to say yeah right isn’t even top 5 of the 2000s and baker 3 is probably the best video of the era just cause kids have seen it even today. Sorrys impact is less meaningful today cause flip has been a shell of a company for 15 years but it’s definitely #2 .

The thing with yeah right is outside of Koston and p rod the average kid doesn’t know who the fuck anyone on the team is anymore. I’d go as far to say that fully flared has outdone yeah rights legacy at this point with how many of the younger pros claim that as their first video.

At the end of day though the only brand whose image has kept up with the kids is baker and that makes baker 3 the most influential video at the end of the day in my opinion.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2023, 10:21:17 PM »
After hearing crob and jeron harp on about yeah right for the 200th time I just wanted to say yeah right isn’t even top 5 of the 2000s and baker 3 is probably the best video of the era just cause kids have seen it even today. Sorrys impact is less meaningful today cause flip has been a shell of a company for 15 years but it’s definitely #2 .

The thing with yeah right is outside of Koston and p rod the average kid doesn’t know who the fuck anyone on the team is anymore. I’d go as far to say that fully flared has outdone yeah rights legacy at this point with how many of the younger pros claim that as their first video.

At the end of day though the only brand whose image has kept up with the kids is baker and that makes baker 3 the most influential video at the end of the day in my opinion.

Baker 3 wouldn’t exist if Baker2G didn’t take off like a rocket and make stars of everyone and make the deck company a necessity and it basically elevated Emerica since Reynolds, Ellington, and Greco were their riders and everyone was seemingly wearing/spray painting Reynolds back then.   Baker 2G influenced skaters, skate crews, other brands came into existence because they were trying to cash in on that image.   Rolling Stone articles, I Want to Be A Baker, all of this was pre Baker 3. 

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2023, 10:25:15 PM »
Did they launch Baker with Baker2g?

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2023, 10:34:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Baker 3 wouldn’t exist if Baker2G didn’t take off like a rocket and make stars of everyone and make the deck company a necessity and it basically elevated Emerica since Reynolds, Ellington, and Greco were their riders and everyone was seemingly wearing/spray painting Reynolds back then.   Baker 2G influenced skaters, skate crews, other brands came into existence because they were trying to cash in on that image.   Rolling Stone articles, I Want to Be A Baker, all of this was pre Baker 3.

Simple reason why Baker 3 > Baker2g...Baker 2g didn't have an Ellington part

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2023, 10:57:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hah well those were the days when Ellington was called the Mule bc of how hard it was to get him to film, but I’d say his contributing to the PD montage is iconic enough

Plus Baker2G had a Heath part…granted it was shared with Terry Kennedy

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2023, 11:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah well those were the days when Ellington was called the Mule bc of how hard it was to get him to film, but I’d say his contributing to the PD montage is iconic enough

It was because he still skated for Zero at that point, an essential member of Baker wasn't even on the team yet. Yeah shared part doesn't count. Gettin' F U 2NITE

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2023, 11:28:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It was because he still skated for Zero at that point, an essential member of Baker wasn't even on the team yet. Yeah shared part doesn't count. Gettin' F U 2NITE

This quote and his dance after landing makes it the GOAT video

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2023, 11:44:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t know that Baker really existed at the time of Baker2G.   Ellington quit zero then went back and then quit again.    Boulala is the only one who never left their original sponsor and he was who the brand was named after

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2023, 11:49:37 PM »
Menikmati sticks out most in my mind.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2023, 11:51:13 PM »
Menikmati sticks out most in my mind.

It really simplifies things if you just say French Fred or Ty Evans?

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2023, 01:15:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t know that Baker really existed at the time of Baker2G.   Ellington quit zero then went back and then quit again.    Boulala is the only one who never left their original sponsor and he was who the brand was named after

Baker exists because / was named after Boulala (who had clips in both b2g & b3), who never left his original sponsor flip, which brings us back to flip making the superior video, but baker 3 coming close. It doesnt matter that kids today dont know who Arto and Bastien are and how important/ Ground breaking they were. Baker 3 being better than sorry only because baker is still relevant today is kinda weak… 

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -214
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2023, 02:16:04 AM »
the Baker of today and the Baker/PD of yesteryear are so different as to be unrecognizable, just like Flip or Girl or any company that is 20+ years old

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2023, 03:38:43 AM »
Most of baker 3 success is due to Antwuan… his part in youtube is revisited often by kids and grown mans.

Yeah Right reach 3 million views

Flip Sorry is only 354k views

Baker 3 has only 49k views in 8 years

Antwuan part alone has 2,5 millions

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 04:31:04 AM by tadej Pog »
Miss you Rusty Berings

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2023, 04:09:47 AM »
This thread is gonna make me watch all the listed videos again and then i will vote.
I think i have seen sorry the most from the listed ones, closely followed by this is skateboarding and photosyntesis.
After 2005/6 i just didn't pay a lot of attention to the skateboarding world and have been catching up the last 5 years.
Well... i am starting with yeah right now and will continue with the others the following days :)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2023, 04:23:31 AM »
Most of baker 3 success is due to Antwuan… his part in youtube is revisited often by kids and grown mans.

Year Right reach 3 million views

Not sure it can be broken down quite so simply. Way more people are going to watch a 3 minute clip than an hour long video. Individual parts from any video probably have a ton more views than whatever full lengths they're from

tadej Pog

« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2023, 04:30:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Not sure it can be broken down quite so simply. Way more people are going to watch a 3 minute clip than an hour long video. Individual parts from any video probably have a ton more views than whatever full lengths they're from

Why your argument dont applies to Yeah right? The longest video on the list.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2023, 04:38:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Why your argument dont applies to Yeah right? The longest video on the list.
Yeah that's a weird one. Don't know exactly how YouTube works but the yeah right on Crails YouTube only has 88k views. Maybe that echoboom sports chanel had the only hd upload for a while most the other yeah right parts from about the same age are in really shit quality.

kingcheese

« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2023, 04:43:09 AM »
view counts don’t really show impact and influence from 20 years ago. it’s not my favorite but dying to live is a way better watch than most of these. flip sorry certainly had the best team and skating but I’m still skipping a bunch of parts. cant imagine trying to sit through all of fully flared in 2023

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2023, 04:59:53 AM »
view counts don’t really show impact and influence from 20 years ago. it’s not my favorite but dying to live is a way better watch than most of these. flip sorry certainly had the best team and skating but I’m still skipping a bunch of parts. cant imagine trying to sit through all of fully flared in 2023
Again fully flared is avatar lol.
I actually did watch it recently and it's def long but the skits aren't as jarring as other Crail videos and it's easier to watch in 2023 that it was from 2012-2018. (About 5 years is somewhat recent, around 7-12 things are the worst and coming up at about 15 years they get ok again)

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2023, 05:21:24 AM »
Five pages deep and no mention of Real to Reel?

There was a lot of hype around This is Skateboarding and the DC Video around the times of their releases

Baker 3 felt like one of the first videos that was instantly accessible on the internet. Yeah of course that video probably had the largest influence on skateboarding culture of the decade

FF was all anyone talked about for nearly 2 years (lead-up and after its release). FF basically broke the internet back then

Sorry! is goat-level for all the reasons previously stated

Mosaic was my personal favorite from the minute it dropped through today. Pretty fucking perfect and timeless

tadej Pog

« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2023, 05:38:41 AM »

There was a lot of hype around This is Skateboarding and the DC Video around the times of their releases

Baker 3 felt like one of the first videos that was instantly accessible on the internet. Yeah of course that video probably had the largest influence on skateboarding culture of the decade

FF was all anyone talked about for nearly 2 years (lead-up and after its release). FF basically broke the internet back then

Mosaic was my personal favorite from the minute it dropped through today. Pretty fucking perfect and timeless

Mosaic is the true perfect video. People saying Sorry but Alex Chalmers and Rune Glifberg parts were the weak points. Mosaic is a marsterpiece.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Banned from the room

« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2023, 06:33:27 AM »

Shrimp blunt maaaaaaaaaaaan. It's a sin that didn't happen 20 years earlier.
Everyone is forgetting already.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2023, 06:51:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mosaic is the true perfect video. People saying Sorry but Alex Chalmers and Rune Glifberg parts were the weak points. Mosaic is a marsterpiece.

How dare you diminish Alex Chalmers' contribution to skate culture at large. That part birthed one of the greatest skate quotes of all time.

Also, Rune rules.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2023, 06:53:25 AM »
its important to put this into perspective what this period was like if you were not old enough to drive.  we are so spoiled now that when we are lucky for a team to drop a full-length, we get it on YouTube instantly, or worse, thrasher, but the point is that we all get that video at the same time and can watch it easily.  back then, before YouTube, you had to know someone who had the video, or you had to have the means to get the video yourself. 

Me and my homies would skate to the shop just to watch yeah right

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2023, 07:40:44 AM »
re: did Baker Launch with Baker 2G

From what I remember, Baker Bootleg came out (all leftovers from The End + on birdhouse boards, no baker boards yet, full boulala part) then shortly after maybe 6 months, the ads and boards first dropped, and then like within another few months they had baker 2G out.

Menikmati and then This is Skateboarding are 2 really important videos because of how well they were executed and elevated Sole Tech into such a huge force

Mostly it was Board Teams before and when you have a shoe company you will get guys from a wider variety of board sponsors which results in a really different dynamic. but shoes really turned the page here and started paying a lot of skaters a lot of money and obviously the big 4 took note of this and took over soon after

tadej Pog

« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2023, 07:46:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

How dare you diminish Alex Chalmers' contribution to skate culture at large. That part birthed one of the greatest skate quotes of all time.

Also, Rune rules.

Part is garbage…whole skatepark clips accelerated clips made it worse.
Miss you Rusty Berings

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2023, 07:58:26 AM »
pretty sure id take photo over mosaic? idk maybe not
they are both really good
mosaic feels a bit more cohesive i suppose

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2023, 07:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also, Rune rules.
[close]

Rune's part is one of the best vert part of all times!

tadej Pog

« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2023, 08:16:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also, Rune rules.
[close]

[close]

Rune's part is one of the best vert part of all times!

Nah in my view its PLG digital and Darkstar part.
Miss you Rusty Berings