Author Topic: Chris Cole is a domestic abuser and his real name isn't even Chris  (Read 63719 times)

Coolguy69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have no reason to NOT believe her. It's a very common and sad. The windshield incident is wild.

At the same time, I don't see the purpose in telling this story publicly on IG.

I get it to an extent. We all have fantasies about hurting or defaming those that have hurt us. (Again, I believe her.)

Their kids are probably thinking, 'Great, my very public parents are making accusations over social media again.'

There is no way a responsible therapist would tell her that the best way to handle this, for her family, is to make a vague IG post. I don't know who it serves.
[close]

Her post isn't vague, it's pretty straightforward she just doesn't say that it was james "chris" cobra cole, because she doesn't have to. It's about her taking something back for herself, not about the abuser. The point of her post isn't to defame cobra (which luckily it does) it's about her overcoming abuse and taking back her life. She may also see it as a way to normalize/ take away the stigma for others to come out about this kind of thing. Therapists aren't really in the business of telling people exactly what to/not to do. If she wanted to do that as a part of her healing, I think many therapists would say that was fine. Even if they advised against it, she still has the freewill to do what she wants.
[close]

Her post has already defamed him. Which was part of the purpose. She knows it will blow up here. Not entirely upset by that, but what happens later? After the engagement passes? She has a few thousand followers. I don't know that she's changing people's lives as much as complicating her own.

A therapist won't tell you what to do. They would frame questions for her to ponder as to what the ultimate goal and/or consequences of this could be. Not just for her family but for her also.
[close]

Husband of a therapist here, correct they likely won't tell you what to do unless they are trying prevent you from killing yourself. They would ask questions for you to ponder and work through the potential outcomes different routes would lead to. If the patient thinks this is the best route to take, they would ask those framing questions and walk through the process with them. The therapist works for the patient, not the family and friends of the patient. If the patient is looking for some sort of closure from a situation and feels something like this is the best route they would support them through the process and be there to unpack how it went positive or negative.

I don't think Christine did this for clout or to change others lives, she is clearly battling something internally and felt this was the best route for her. I am sure she took her kids feeling into this. Just like when she decided to leave cobra. The kids were present during their relationship and also have their own reality of what happened. Both of the kids are also at an age where they could likely choose who to live/spend majority of their time with. Abuse, mental or physical takes a toll on a person.  Taking her name back is allowing her to move on and become the person she wants to be, the person she wasn't allowed to be in her previous relationship. They have been split up for years at this point, she is probably just getting to a point, if she is in therapy, where she is starting to feel like her own person.

Really well said. I am actually a therapist, and I think you did a better job explaining this than I did.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have no reason to NOT believe her. It's a very common and sad. The windshield incident is wild.

I get it to an extent. We all have fantasies about hurting or defaming those that have hurt us. (Again, I believe her.)

Their kids are probably thinking, 'Great, my very public parents are making accusations over social media again.'

There is no way a responsible therapist would tell her that the best way to handle this, for her family, is to make a vague IG post. I don't know who it serves.
[close]

Her post isn't vague, it's pretty straightforward she just doesn't say that it was james "chris" cobra cole, because she doesn't have to. It's about her taking something back for herself, not about the abuser. The point of her post isn't to defame cobra (which luckily it does) it's about her overcoming abuse and taking back her life. She may also see it as a way to normalize/ take away the stigma for others to come out about this kind of thing. Therapists aren't really in the business of telling people exactly what to/not to do. If she wanted to do that as a part of her healing, I think many therapists would say that was fine. Even if they advised against it, she still has the freewill to do what she wants.
[close]

Her post has already defamed him. Which was part of the purpose. She knows it will blow up here. Not entirely upset by that, but what happens later? After the engagement passes? She has a few thousand followers. I don't know that she's changing people's lives as much as complicating her own.

A therapist won't tell you what to do. They would frame questions for her to ponder as to what the ultimate goal and/or consequences of this could be. Not just for her family but for her also.
[close]

Husband of a therapist here, correct they likely won't tell you what to do unless they are trying prevent you from killing yourself. They would ask questions for you to ponder and work through the potential outcomes different routes would lead to. If the patient thinks this is the best route to take, they would ask those framing questions and walk through the process with them. The therapist works for the patient, not the family and friends of the patient. If the patient is looking for some sort of closure from a situation and feels something like this is the best route they would support them through the process and be there to unpack how it went positive or negative.

I don't think Christine did this for clout or to change others lives, she is clearly battling something internally and felt this was the best route for her. I am sure she took her kids feeling into this. Just like when she decided to leave cobra. The kids were present during their relationship and also have their own reality of what happened. Both of the kids are also at an age where they could likely choose who to live/spend majority of their time with. Abuse, mental or physical takes a toll on a person.  Taking her name back is allowing her to move on and become the person she wants to be, the person she wasn't allowed to be in her previous relationship. They have been split up for years at this point, she is probably just getting to a point, if she is in therapy, where she is starting to feel like her own person.
[close]

My wife is a real estate agent, but many years of therapy here.  My only point is that it might cause more harm than good. People use social media in a million ways. Just because I wouldn't use IG like this doesn't mean it's a crime to do so. Regardless of intentions, having your shit out there has consequences. That's all I'm saying.

I wasn't trying to dispute that posting on socials isn't without consequences. More so that a therapist isn't necessarily going to stop you from it. To your statement that it may cause more harm than good. A good therapist would likely encourage the actions so long as it will allow the patient to work through the trauma they are in therapy for. If posting this on IG brings her 2 weeks of "mess" on the internet but she can walk into a coffee shop and when the barista says "name for the order" she can respond with "CHRISTINE!" and is more confident, then healing is happening. Its about peeling off those layers of trauma and building yourself back up to what you want to be and who you think you are.

Its also not lost on me that there are different types of therapy and those different types work for different people. So what you may have experienced in your previous therapy is likely different than what others experience.

Really well said. I am actually a therapist, and I think you did a better job explaining this than I did.

Thanks, I appreciate what you do to help people.

EDIT: Grammar
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 11:24:14 AM by arrbee »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 392
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
@Robert Baratheon I get what you're saying dude but I think that A) the potential that post could cause harm is alone her decision to weigh and make and B) it's actually incredibly important that it's made known that one of the most famous, most celebrated, and most talented skaters to ever live is a violent abuser, especially considering there are multiple generations that still look up to him. This isn't "having your shit out there," this is at best a community alert and at worst a callout post regarding unacceptable behavior

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
@Robert Baratheon I get what you're saying dude but I think that A) the potential that post could cause harm is alone her decision to weigh and make and B) it's actually incredibly important that it's made known that one of the most famous, most celebrated, and most talented skaters to ever live is a violent abuser, especially considering there are multiple generations that still look up to him. This isn't "having your shit out there," this is at best a community alert and at worst a callout post regarding unacceptable behavior

also just a plea to not get deadnamed and an explanation as to why

Shtonk

• Rep: -560

My wife is a real estate agent, but many years of therapy here.  My only point is that it might cause more harm than good. People use social media in a million ways. Just because I wouldn't use IG like this doesn't mean it's a crime to do so. Regardless of intentions, having your shit out there has consequences. That's all I'm saying.

I know this is an unfavourable reading of the things you're writing on here, but have you stopped to consider that what you would do and what Christine has done is so wildly different because, purely statistically, you're much more likely to be the one talked about than the one talking in such a post? As in: the usually male abuser is much more likely to be PROTECTED by privacy, whereas she as the female victim is much more likely to be ISOLATED and WEAKENED by privacy. Also that, purely statistically, if you ever ended up in her situation, you're much more likely to be able to defend yourself physically and don't have to resort to delayed defenses and reconquering a sense of agency after the stronger part has forced you to do things you didn't want to do? And, lastly, that posting about your suffering on social media is more likely to get you support, empowerment, change things, than going to the police for help?

These are all likelihoods and not guarantees, but it's a little saddening that in skateboarding in 2024 a man is having to spell this out to another man. Educate yourself, brother.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal

a. Where did I say that she had no right to do that?? b. Per her words, the post was to reclaim her name. She could have named him if she wanted to warn the community about him.

All fine, I just wouldn't have done it this way. Don't get it twisted, I give a fuck about Chris. Her children may not want this out there, matter how cathartic it may seem now. That is my point.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

I know this is an unfavourable reading of the things you're writing on here, but have you stopped to consider that what you would do and what Christine has done is so wildly different because, purely statistically, you're much more likely to be the one talked about than the one talking in such a post? As in: the usually male abuser is much more likely to be PROTECTED by privacy, whereas she as the female victim is much more likely to be ISOLATED and WEAKENED by privacy. Also that, purely statistically, if you ever ended up in her situation, you're much more likely to be able to defend yourself physically and don't have to resort to delayed defenses and reconquering a sense of agency after the stronger part has forced you to do things you didn't want to do? And, lastly, that posting about your suffering on social media is more likely to get you support, empowerment, change things, than going to the police for help?

These are all likelihoods and not guarantees, but it's a little saddening that in skateboarding in 2024 a man is having to spell this out to another man. Educate yourself, brother.

It's an inaccurate reading brother. 

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

To defame someone by definition means to make false statements in an effort to hurt reputation... so if it's the truth then no, she did no defame him, she simply told her story

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
Expand Quote
[close]

a. Where did I say that she had no right to do that?? b. Per her words, the post was to reclaim her name. She could have named him if she wanted to warn the community about him.

All fine, I just wouldn't have done it this way. Don't get it twisted, I give a fuck about Chris. Her children may not want this out there, matter how cathartic it may seem now. That is my point.

She didn't have to name him... anyone who is familiar with her is certainly familiar with Chris... and I don't think you can say how you would've handled this situation if it never happened to you.

I think bringing her children in as an excuse to keep quiet about this is pretty fucking low, too

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

To defame someone by definition means to make false statements in an effort to hurt reputation... so if it's the truth then no, she did no defame him, she simply told her story

Thanks for actually reading what I wrote. I stand corrected. By that definition, it wouldn't be defamation but a reiteration of her story with him.

Guys - I'm not your bogey here. I believe her. I don't really care that she did this. For my kids sake, I just wouldn't have. I don't see the healing properties of social media like some others do. That's fucking it. If you want to misinterpret what I said, and act like I'm defending Chris or that I've giving her a ton of shit, have at it I guess.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

She didn't have to name him... anyone who is familiar with her is certainly familiar with Chris... and I don't think you can say how you would've handled this situation if it never happened to you.

I think bringing her children in as an excuse to keep quiet about this is pretty fucking low, too

Unreal. No one is telling her to shut up. You are missing the point.

I watched the GH video on this. Thought he blew things out of proportion about the Slap posts and the fried takes. I guess I can't argue with that now.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 392
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
Nah dude I agree with you in the sense that social media can be a very harmful and counterproductive in certain situations. It's just that this isn't one of these situations and frankly it's a very weird hill to die on right now.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Anybody got a link to the GH take? I missed the last couple of Twitch streams.
unreadable trap logo

Shtonk

• Rep: -560
Yo Baratheon, I'll own that I came at you too hard insinuating you were being ignorant about all these things I mentioned. But other people not agreeing with you have been fairly polite and on subject about it. They don't agree with you because, as @planman puts it well: this ain't one of those situations. No one thinks you're defending Cole or his actions. I thought you were being insensitive but that's it.

Don't retreat into GH's corner of "I've been wrongly treated and therefore have a right to be more outraged about people on here than about Cole abusing the mother of his children." It didn't look well on him and at least he's got a 15 or howevermany the fuck thread with lunatics trying to label him a fascist ;)

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 91
Nah dude I agree with you in the sense that social media can be a very harmful and counterproductive in certain situations. It's just that this isn't one of these situations and frankly it's a very weird hill to die on right now.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 185
  • My brother Roy is into music
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I watched the GH video on this. Thought he blew things out of proportion about the Slap posts and the fried takes. I guess I can't argue with that now.

For those who asked

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
Lol at myself. Thanks @Ray C. Usery for teaching me what that fuckin vid doc is for. I normally just catch the streams if I catch them.
unreadable trap logo

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For those who asked

wanted to hear his take and...wow dude said its all not that serious cause the car got in the way of hurting her and she was not physically harmed.  is dude cracked out?  the slavery comment in the beginning was super weird too..Is Joa Okay?

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
not sure if it’s been mentioned but check the first comment… jordan maxham continues to be the most likable person in skateboarding.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Crust

• Rep: 54
not sure if it’s been mentioned but check the first comment… jordan maxham continues to be the most likable person in skateboarding.

What a terribly unhelpful comment, what a cunt!

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of this rough cut. I hope there are some improvements in the final version.

He makes some small and some serious missteps when critiquing her post. I think the biggest misstep, which he seemed to catch right after he said it, was when he joked about James burning her degree or him smashing her in the head to take away her education. Using the slightest bit of imagination, I'd imagine her line about having her education taken away is alluding to James telling her that her knowledge is wrong all the time and everything she has learned/knows is wrong. I think this is a common thing in toxic and abusive relationships.

Following his great joke about James smashing an abused woman in the head to make her forget everything, I loved how GH got all worked up over many of our comments. I especially, enjoyed his reaction to my joke about Mikey Taylor's podcast on abuse being good for entrepreneurship. His interpretation is so far off the mark. 1) It was a joke that employed exaggeration for comedic effect. 2) I firmly stand by my joke that exaggerates Mikey Taylor's persona as a self-absorbed culturally backward wanna-be grifter/influencer who hangs out with extremist kooks like Rob McCoy (the man who mentored Charlie Kirk). 3) Mikey's wife and Mikey's reaction to this story isn't an in the moment thing. Unlike Brunk and Lee, they aren't on camera like a deer in headlights hearing it for the first time. Mikey has had lots of time to digest the story and his kooky ass has told the story many times and proclaimed it to be one his favorite stories.

Finally, in his tirade against some of our comments and my joke where he exclaims, "This was 9 years ago, this makes me mad, he wouldn't say that now, blah blah blah," GH this is a horrible take. Your takes sounds more like Archie Bunker complaining about being cancelled than actually responding to the comments/jokes. Do you have evidence Mikey has grown up on any social issue? Or are you just going to go full Archie Bunker on this one?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 04:53:55 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Ninj2

• Rep: -102
Shredder news sounds reliable news source….
Except fuck the shredder. Dude is a giant dickhead. Not only for how he fucked up the turtles time and time again but also because he don’t even give credit to slap as they cutting edge on the ground April o neil is here. Do they even skate as shitty as gifted hater and his voice or is it just the same shit?
Also. FCC
Midofy it

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 115
Michel Pulizzi liking jordan maxhams comment. kooks come together

bo bice

• Rep: 92
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Jerry come get your boy already, gotta love when some shithead makes someone else’s trauma into their web content

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 569
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For those who asked

[close]

wanted to hear his take and...wow dude said its all not that serious cause the car got in the way of hurting her and she was not physically harmed.  is dude cracked out?  the slavery comment in the beginning was super weird too..Is Joa Okay?

Is there a time for that? Not really wanting to watch the whole thing to find that.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For those who asked

[close]

[close]

Is there a time for that? Not really wanting to watch the whole thing to find that.
Nearabout 1:06:40 - 1:50:20
unreadable trap logo

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't say I'm a huge fan of this rough cut. I hope there are some improvements in the final version.

He makes some small and some serious missteps when critiquing her post. I think the biggest misstep, which he seemed to catch right after he said it, was when he joked about James burning her degree or him smashing her in the head to take away her education. Using the slightest bit of imagination, I'd imagine her line about having her education taken away is alluding to James telling her that her knowledge is wrong all the time and everything she has learned/knows is wrong. I think this is a common thing in toxic and abusive relationships.

Following his great joke about James smashing an abused woman in the head to make her forget everything, I loved how GH got all worked up over many of our comments. I especially, enjoyed his reaction to my joke about Mikey Taylor's podcast on abuse being good for entrepreneurship. His interpretation is so far off the mark. 1) It was a joke that employed exaggeration for comedic effect. 2) I firmly stand by my joke that exaggerates Mikey Taylor's persona as a self-absorbed culturally backward wanna-be grifter/influencer who hangs out with extremist kooks like Rob McCoy (the man who mentored Charlie Kirk). 3) Mikey's wife and Mikey's reaction to this story isn't an in the moment thing. Unlike Brunk and Lee, they aren't on camera like a deer in headlights hearing it for the first time. Mikey has had lots of time to digest the story and his kooky ass has told the story many times and proclaimed it to be one his favorite stories.

Finally, in his tirade against some of our comments and my joke where he exclaims, "This was 9 years ago, this makes me mad, he wouldn't say that now, blah blah blah," GH this is a horrible take. Your takes sounds more like Archie Bunker complaining about being cancelled than actually responding to the comments/jokes. Do you have evidence Mikey has grown up on any social issue? Or are you just going to go full Archie Bunker on this one?

Do you have a timestamp? No way I'm watching over two hours of that
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Crust

• Rep: 54
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

For those who asked

[close]

[close]

[close]
Nearabout 1:06:40 - 1:50:20

@RichardBarkley Jakeumms timestamped for the GH stream part on this

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Michel Pulizzi liking jordan maxhams comment. kooks come together
shredder news is for incels

dallou