Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 43044 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2014, 02:55:30 AM »
Expand Quote
I can't stand the cream/sugar stations either....'oh...heh..heh...um...sorry...eh...yeah.....'.
[close]

Most accurate description.

I worked at a cafe for two years- surprised how messy adults would leave it
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2014, 08:08:59 AM »
i just think its funny that people think its manly to drink something with a slightly more bitter taste
like in tv or movies when the "serious" character orders their coffee black
or when you see memes saying "if your boyfriend cant drive stick, youve got a girlfriend"
as if these activities are reserved for gladiator types

sure man, the idea of some drinks being more masculine than others is complete rediculous. you'd be just as masculine drinking any of these fine drinks in a bar.

abudabi

« Reply #302 on: November 11, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »
im glad you took the time to find those pictures
anyways sleazy youre one of my least favorite people on here, i dont give half a fuck what you think about anything
seriously ive been reading these boards for years and youve had the same shitty opinion the whole time
please dont respond to anymore of my posts and ill do the same for you

dillanharp

« Reply #303 on: November 11, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
At least he's consistent.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #304 on: November 11, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »
anyways sleazy youre one of my least favorite people on here, i dont give half a fuck what you think about anything
seriously ive been reading these boards for years and youve had the same shitty opinion the whole time

say it ain't so man, are we really breaking up? just when i thought things were going so well between us. you going to send someone to get your records and hazelnut coffee syrup from my place?

abudabi

« Reply #305 on: November 11, 2014, 10:05:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

say it ain't so man, are we really breaking up? just when i thought things were going so well between us. you going to send someone to get your records and hazelnut coffee syrup from my place?
lol yeah people who own records are such fags right

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #306 on: November 11, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »
sometimes i get a soy cappuccino and my girl gets a black coffee and people bring me the black coffee and her the soy cappuccino. i'm such a bitch

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #307 on: November 11, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
Sometimes I think my caffeine habit might be just as costly as my smoking habit back when I smoked. 1 lb bag of beans will last me about 10 days (at around $10-12 per lb bag) - pouch of rolling tobacco and papers and shit'll run me around that much from what I remember and last me the same amount of time.

Shit sucks so hard. I'm going to try and detox myself, phase coffee out and start getting on the tea program to curb withdrawal.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #308 on: November 11, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
Sometimes I think my caffeine habit might be just as costly as my smoking habit back when I smoked. 1 lb bag of beans will last me about 10 days (at around $10-12 per lb bag) - pouch of rolling tobacco and papers and shit'll run me around that much from what I remember and last me the same amount of time.

Shit sucks so hard. I'm going to try and detox myself, phase coffee out and start getting on the tea program to curb withdrawal.

$1 a day is costly?

Prince Nelson

« Reply #309 on: November 11, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »

My coffee habit is worse. I go through two bags of beans every week at $15-$19 per 12 oz. bag. One bag for morning hot coffee, the other bag for cold brew throughout the day. Thankfully I've phased out alcohol, that used to cost me even more money.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #310 on: November 11, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
Expand Quote
i just think its funny that people think its manly to drink something with a slightly more bitter taste
or when you see memes saying "if your boyfriend cant drive stick, youve got a girlfriend"
[close]

sure man, the idea of some drinks being more masculine than others is complete rediculous. you'd be just as masculine drinking any of these fine drinks in a bar.

This is such a solid comparison. Seriously... A+. Off topic but I'm heading to Hawaii next week and can't wait lay out by the pool with a glass of scotch on the rocks.

To everyone feeling manly for drinking their black coffee, Congratulations... you're exactly as manly as my 96 year old grandma.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #311 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is such a solid comparison. Seriously... A+. Off topic but I'm heading to Hawaii next week and can't wait lay out by the pool with a glass of scotch on the rocks.

To everyone feeling manly for drinking their black coffee, Congratulations... you're exactly as manly as my 96 year old grandma.
my underhanded and sarcastic post above was basically attempting to get at this exact point but your post is much better and so it would appear you're much smarter than me and so kudos to you my bro for such hitting the nail on the headness

EDIT: which is not to say that my original post is not referencing true events because it is. that actually happens to me

PS: lol
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:11:58 PM by Baron Samedi »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: November 11, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

almost spit my black coffee out when i read this.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #313 on: November 11, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i don't think it's feeling manly for drinking black coffee, it's the idea that not drinking black is less manly. there's a reason that the servers give the soy lattee to the wrong person from the post above. it's because they see more men ordering black coffee and more women ordering complicated, sweeter drinks. it's just like the idea that drinking white zin is going emasculate you in the eyes of a lot of people. it's going to send a less masculine vibe than if you order a bordeaux. but any good sommelier will know that white zin is great with a pbj sandwich and i'm not afraid to go there when both are available because that shits good together. it's the same way a that fruity girly drink is great for floating around in a resort pool, i'm always down to order one from a pool bar.

i don't really get why people are being so sensitive about those ideas existing, which they most certainly do. i didn't make them up, i'm just aware that they exist. if you like sweet ass coffee milk, drink the shit out of it, who cares what the server thinks.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #314 on: November 11, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
one time when i was 12 i was drinking coffee at some family gathering, to show them that i was a grown up, and my closet gay effeminate gay uncle started giving me shit for using too much sugar

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #315 on: November 12, 2014, 01:27:40 AM »
i came for the coffee knowledge, but stayed for the bitchery.... i had a keurig that i used with beans from my work (sprouts farmers market) but after a few weeks of being broke and not using it (substituting noahs $1 reusable cup fillups next to my work cause they usually dont charge me) it developed mold so im gonna toss it. ive been giving more thought to getting a french press. Nallid im gonna have to bug you and ask some questions about your setup. but that aeropress looks interesting too.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:32:05 AM by tangar »
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #316 on: November 12, 2014, 07:38:31 AM »
french press is cool but you also need a burr grinder and it's kind of high maintenance in that it starts taking you around 10 minutes to make a cup of coffee. love french pressed coffee though and i found it's a great office networking kind of thing in that you can invite people for a french press and then have 10 mins to bs while you make it.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #317 on: November 12, 2014, 08:21:36 AM »
you dont need a fancy grinder. just a regular coffee grinder will work. an electric kettle is also nice to have. i think they work faster than using the stove to heat the water. any way you look at it, its going to take about 10 minutes just like sleazy said. about 5 for the water to get hot and another 5 for the coffee to seep. you should be able to pick up a quality press, grinder, and a kettle all for under $60. of course all you really need is the press. a lot of places that sell coffee will grind it for you. you can always buy pre ground coffee too and i think it works fine. just dont pour the last few ounces into your cup because you might get some grounds. the grinder and the kettle are nice to have though.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #318 on: November 12, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »
i'd recomend getting the beans grinded or using the grinders at the grocery store over getting cheaper grinder. my first grinder wasn't a burr style and grinds were way to fine. but if you are going to the level of french pressing you may as well go full monty and grind the beans right before you brew so it's super fresh. also enhances the presentation if you are brewing for friends.

also, expect to spend a lot of time figuring out the right comination of grinder setting, bean, water temp, ect... to get something you like. for me though that was kind of part of the fun.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1601
« Reply #319 on: November 12, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
I got a small hand grinder which works for my 16 oz press....grind it up while water is boiling...It doesn't take long.....but you're spot on about ten minutes....might be a bit less if you do productive shit while steeping.....

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #320 on: November 12, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
I got a small hand grinder which works for my 16 oz press....grind it up while water is boiling...It doesn't take long.....but you're spot on about ten minutes....might be a bit less if you do productive shit while steeping.....
So what you do while steeping affects the steep time? Solid logic.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn!!! I miss living in the Bay with all the coffee choices. Im here in China where I found one local roaster! Its a bit more than what I was used to buying (starbucks beans cause its the only choice for whole beans) I wanna find a roaster back home in the US that would ship by the pound out here if shipping fee's aren't too much.

Also how do you like using a manual grinder?? I got one but it hurts the shit out of my already fucked up wrists.
[close]

Shit man, we'll talk. I get free beans all the time and if shipping isn't too much I'll happily send you some beans from time to time. Hopefully customs won't wreck it though haha. Grinding manually isn't bad. I've used the same grinder every day once or twice a day for the last three years. Havent changed the burrs yet, and it's starting to show. Dialing in for v60 isn't as easy as it used to be. Maybe it's time to go electric haha.

also, I did end up doing cold brew today. Totally eyeballed it, hopefully it'll turn out good. If it's too strong its going into a pork brine.

[close]

man that sounds awesome- but Ive had stuff shipped from back in the US and it's at least $45 and i wouldnt wanna put that burden on you but appreciate the offer..

What cold brew method do you use? How'd it turn out?
[close]

If it's too strong, couldn't you just heavily ice it or water it down when serving? There's a little vendor in my town that sells "coffee concentrate" which is basically super-strong cold brew. (Although I'm not fronting on a coffee-based brine.)
[close]

yup, exactly. ice or water or dairy thins out the concentrate so it's not as harsh. That batch came out really good? naturally sweet/less bitter cause of the long cold brew time. Method I used was coarse grinding 80g of beans, wrapping in cheesecloth,  and letting it steep for 12-16 hours. Makes a quart of cold brew, shit's bomb.

I got my espresso training yesterday, super hyped. Latte art is fucking hard and ridiculous but I'm more focused on how the shots pull and the milk temp for service... this is what happens when a line cook becomes a barista.

Just made my first few batches. Experimenting with the brewing time. This is such a cheap and effective way to make cold brew.
I was making individual cups every morning using the aero press and a cold brew technique- was nice but not what i wanna do during the morning. its so convenient making a batch the night before and having coffee ready in the morning.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 05:27:49 PM by fulfillthedream »

[

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »
i have a grinder called like Capremo or some shit, how fine do you want the grinds for a french press. i am actually looking forward to messing with the coffee temp, steep time and all that jazz. its a new thing for me and im pysched to try it. i saw a Bodum? Brazil 3 cup french press for like 17 bucks at target that looks right up my alley for my first one. anyone have any thoughts on that model? also, whats the deal with frothing milk? is that only an espresso thing or can you do that in regular coffee and more importantly can you do that with almond milk?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »
i have a grinder called like Capremo or some shit, how fine do you want the grinds for a french press. i am actually looking forward to messing with the coffee temp, steep time and all that jazz. its a new thing for me and im pysched to try it. i saw a Bodum? Brazil 3 cup french press for like 17 bucks at target that looks right up my alley for my first one. anyone have any thoughts on that model? also, whats the deal with frothing milk? is that only an espresso thing or can you do that in regular coffee and more importantly can you do that with almond milk?

Bodums are good presses and really affordable. I've been using the same one for almost two years and it's always been great. I had another one that was a less fancy model which I gave to my boss and she's still using it. Just look at the plunger when you buy it and make sure it's all metal. Some have a rubber ring around the plunger and those make your coffee taste like rubber no matter how many times you wash them.

You want to grind your beans pretty course. If it's too fine, grounds can get through the screen.

I'm not sure if you can froth almond milk. I'd just google it.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #324 on: November 16, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »
sweet, thanks JB.

foureyedjim

« Reply #325 on: November 17, 2014, 11:32:38 AM »
my local coffee shop gave me a discounted bag of beans (4 bucks!!!) since I buy from them so often.

then I bought this:

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #326 on: November 17, 2014, 09:30:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bodums are good presses and really affordable. I've been using the same one for almost two years and it's always been great. I had another one that was a less fancy model which I gave to my boss and she's still using it. Just look at the plunger when you buy it and make sure it's all metal. Some have a rubber ring around the plunger and those make your coffee taste like rubber no matter how many times you wash them.

You want to grind your beans pretty course. If it's too fine, grounds can get through the screen.

I'm not sure if you can froth almond milk. I'd just google it.

Tangar- i got the same french press, it works really well. Yeah make sure the grounds are coarse - more like sand but not powdery

[

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #327 on: November 17, 2014, 11:01:51 PM »
Got some chameleon cold brew for free from work. Gonna try it in the morning. Do you guys dilute with water or milk? Or drink it straight? I'm gonna try a few different ways since it's four servings.

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #328 on: November 18, 2014, 12:17:18 AM »
Firstly, everything JB has said on french press is spot on, good advice to be had there.

For those looking into grinders: Krups make one that can be bought relatively cheaply (about ?30 here in the UK) that allows a good amount of adjustment of coarseness/fineness of the grind and has survived my girl and I's daily usage for about 2 and a half years now.

As for aeropress vs french press: I own both and hardly ever use the french press now. French press coffee seems ever so slightly more viscous, all delicious and velvety, but I often feel all jittery and overcaffeinated after 1-2 mugs which is a problem for me as I like to drink a few coffees throughout the day. Aeropress coffee is slightly thinner and it avoids the issues with mouthfuls of grounds at the bottom. It feels like an altogether 'cleaner' cup but it doesn't seem to lose flavour, just a different texture, and it is quick to make a cup & really easy to clean up after the fact. The other thing with the aeropress that I really like is how good it is to travel with; it doesn't take up much space in a bag for everything you need bar hot water and it's mostly indestructible, especially in comparison to cafetieres. 

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #329 on: November 18, 2014, 02:54:04 AM »
It's really worth picking up a little manual hand grinder if you're just making a cup for yourself each morning - like the Hario foureyedjim posted or a Porlex (they fit in the top of the Aeropress, which is really handy). You can easily adjust both to suit different brew methods and they're quicker and cleaner than fucking around with a spice grinder.