Author Topic: The coffee thread  (Read 43233 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The coffee thread
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
What about scraping? 

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -141
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2014, 03:35:57 PM »
Coffee is for the weak minded and uninspired. Skating around the block and taking a shower sure wakes me up better than some shit colored hot drink.

You're like Slap's Dwight Schrute except you're not funny.

dillanharp

« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2014, 08:09:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
stir with chop stick
[close]

hmmm I was close, I use a bamboo skewer.

I try not to stir too much though, I wrecked a fresh cup doing that one time..
[close]

I've heard a lot of people say not to stir with metal objects like forks or spoons. Does anyone know why? I'd imagine that maybe the metal will take away some flavor, but you're pressing it down with a metal screen attached to a metal rod, so I don't see the importance of using a non metal object for stirring.

I bought a new one today, and on it was a sticker that said to stir with non metal. My guess is it's to prevent any damage to the glass.

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #213 on: April 06, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
stir with chop stick
[close]

[close]

I've heard a lot of people say not to stir with metal objects like forks or spoons. Does anyone know why? I'd imagine that maybe the metal will take away some flavor, but you're pressing it down with a metal screen attached to a metal rod, so I don't see the importance of using a non metal object for stirring.
[close]

I bought a new one today, and on it was a sticker that said to stir with non metal. My guess is it's to prevent any damage to the glass.

you sir are correct. you can stir with whatever you want, its jut to protect the glass.

dillanharp

« Reply #214 on: April 07, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »
What're your guys' french press coffee/water ratio? I've been doing 1 cup of coffee to a 32oz french press for cold brew. That's a lot of grounds though and I feel like I'm burning through bags of beans too fast.

foureyedjim

« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2014, 01:22:12 AM »
What're your guys' french press coffee/water ratio? I've been doing 1 cup of coffee to a 32oz french press for cold brew. That's a lot of grounds though and I feel like I'm burning through bags of beans too fast.

hmmm for cold brew I use the same cup for measuring the beans and the water.  I use a 2:1 water to coffee ratio to make the concentrated brew.  
Then I dilute to about double the volume.  I dunno, I kind of eyeball it or do it by feeling most of the time.  

oh, and for regular coffee I use about 2 cups of water (about 1 mugs worth of water, which I also just eyeball) and 3 tablespoons of beans.  I used to use more for cheap french roast but I'm sticking with that for the expensive stuff.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:24:57 AM by foureyedjim »

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2014, 01:43:54 AM »
I use the 60 gram per 1 litre ratio for home coffee. Maybe up to 80 gram per litre for plunger. Just divide that shit by 4 for single cup brewing - i.e 15gm/250ml, and adjust to your preferences. Excuse the metric system but an ounce is roughly 30 grams - so it converts pretty easily I guess.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #217 on: April 08, 2014, 06:09:07 AM »
i just eye bawl it.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #218 on: April 08, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
French press isn't cutting it for me these days. Might get one of those clever coffee drippers.

I just want a nice clean cup man.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2014, 05:55:55 PM »
French press isn't cutting it for me these days. Might get one of those clever coffee drippers.

I just want a nice clean cup man.

it's not a bad thing to alternate between methods. i'm gonna pick up a clever myself because the plastic dripper i'm using is probably slowly leaching into my coffee...time to pay the extra $15 and get a nice one.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:59:25 PM by LloydChristmas »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2014, 06:24:24 PM »
Yup, I've gone through a number of devices

Had an AeroPress, and have a Moka pot (which I use for shit/stale beans). Was thinking about getting a pour over thing, maybe like a V60 or Chemex but nobody's got the fucking time to deal with expensive goose neck kettles and standing there pouring little circles and shit. Fuck that.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »
You probably want a clever dripper then. Requires the least effort of all those you mentioned - you just need a cup basically.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »
Went to pick up some beans today

Totally caved and bought a clever coffee dripper. Shit is fucking nicee

Cleanest cup of coffee I've had in awhile. Already looking forward to my next cup tomorrow morning

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 196
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:50 PM »
My dad always gives me shit for drinking flavored coffee. But lately I've been digging the dunkin donuts "donut" flavored coffee they sell in bags at the grocery store. If I'm gonna drink normal coffee though, I like the cheap shit, been drinking chock full o' nuts lately, that sounds so weird.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #224 on: April 19, 2014, 12:05:48 AM »
Since quitting caffeine almost a year ago, it's great. There's no headaches, no cravings and YO save money just being out and smart

Honestly I wake up with a ton more energy and passion, I used to slave the coffee machine for my mornin fix!

foureyedjim

« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2014, 01:05:01 AM »
Since quitting caffeine almost a year ago, it's great. There's no headaches, no cravings and YO save money just being out and smart

Honestly I wake up with a ton more energy and passion, I used to slave the coffee machine for my mornin fix!

You may as well just stop consuming everything that you don't 'need'

Drinking a cup in the morning doesn't really do much for me, it's just nice to have one

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2014, 05:17:24 AM »

anymore life tips mom?

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »

Nice, you should quit SLAP too.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Tay

« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
While I was working in a small town dinner we would add a pinch or two of sea salt into the grounds before brewing. Salt decreases bitterness supposedly. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, so I can't vouch for it's taste, but the locals loved the stuff.

pantless

• Rep: 13
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
I definitely love my morning coffee, can't really start my day without it.

French press, 2.5-3 large scoops of grounds to 1 litre of water. I don't make enough money to buy good/expensive beans, so for now I get whatever's on sale. I usually have 2 cups, my girlfriend 1.

I find the cup is what makes all the difference though. I can't drink from a big mug, and travel mugs are the worst. Has to be small, preferably some kind of shape to it, with a relatively small handle. I have this perfect old puke green cup that just makes me feel awesome for some reason.

Also, coffee makes me have to shit pretty much instantly which is amazing early in the morning. Coffee life just makes sense. 

foureyedjim

« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »

Also, coffee makes me have to shit pretty much instantly which is amazing early in the morning. Coffee life just makes sense. 

yeah, same.  It saves me from having to do it at work.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
stir with chop stick
[close]

[close]

it's because it means your not drinking your coffee black

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
stir with chop stick
[close]

[close]

[close]

i do drink it black. youre not making sense.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
stir with chop stick

Fuck yes! I learned this last year and it's been life changing
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #234 on: April 21, 2014, 09:41:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
stir with chop stick
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i do drink it black. youre not making sense.

not trying to be a dick but if you drink it black then why do you need a spoon? or do you consider coffee with sugar to be black?

to me ordering coffee black is the same as ordering scotch straight up. mainly men do it and there's no need for additional information. at least i've never been asked if i want sugar in my coffee when i order it black.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
« Reply #235 on: April 21, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
He's stirring the grounds into the water for even distribution when making french press.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1608
« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:15 PM »
What about not stirring and busting the crust.....I see that method too...

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #237 on: April 21, 2014, 11:54:29 PM »
He's stirring the grounds into the water for even distribution when making french press.

interesting, never done that before. i always assumed the press took care of that part when you pushed the handle down.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

interesting, never done that before. i always assumed the press took care of that part when you pushed the handle down.

in my mind stirring helps get all the flavor out of the grounds, which is why i stir it. theres no right and wrong way to do it. its not like gripping a board or anything like that.

my parents just brought me back some of this stuff from the dominican republic. i thought it was a nice gesture, but just judging by the packaging it didnt look like it was going to be anything special. i bet my mom bought it at the air port. surprisingly it was really good for a lighter roast. anyone have any good beans theyve been into lately? im tired of drinking starbucks i get on sale at costco.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:21:07 AM by JB »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
starbucks? i can't can't drink that stuff. all their coffee taste burnt to me. i had good luck getting beans at my local farmers market for more interesting stuff with things like citrus notes and all that.

i honestly enjoy bullshit dinner style coffee. like the stuff they have at dunkin donuts or rudy's bbq but when i was working down town i would get french press from cafe medici that was pretty amazing. all this talk is making me want to dust off my french press. i've gotten lazy as my current client has a keurig.