Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431461 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
Re: books to read
« Reply #3300 on: July 11, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »

you absolutely have to read Blood Meridian. There's nothing else like it.

Indeed nothing quite like it. Might have said this before, but I listened to the "Blood Meridian" audio book one season while trimming weed/ stuck in a room with many people. It was good fun and we made a drinking game out of it too, swigging every time the narrator says "Glanton spit".

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #3301 on: July 12, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »
https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/john-dillinger-slept-here-paul-maccabee/1103781240

Cool book about Saint Paul’s underworld.  The old familia store was right in the area this stuff happened.
I own this book and agree, it's really cool. I used to live a few blocks away from the 1031 Robert St house that the Barker-Karpis gang lived in for a few months
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #3302 on: July 18, 2020, 07:07:16 PM »

Pretty good novel based on the Dozier School for Boys in Florida. A seemingly close to idyllic reform school turns out to be much more nightmarish behind the scenes. I really enjoy Colson Whitehead's succinct writing style, this and The Underground Railroad both had me hooked.

Started this a week ago and I've been immersed in Murakami's writing and atmosphere since. Read Kafka on the Shore a while back but was too intimidated to step to Haruki's magnum opus, now I can't put it down. Any pals have thoughts on this novel?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:23:45 PM by Manny Fapuiao »
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3303 on: July 18, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Hell yeah. Hakim Bey is always a fun read, but - full transparency - he was affiliated with NAMBLA and is definitely a proponent of man-boy love. Just FYI. I think most of his stuff is great.

I'm in grad school, so I have to pack in all my free reading over the summer. Right now I've got a bunch of stuff in rotation, including:
Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy
Revisiting a bunch of Henry Miller stuff
Philosophical works of Bataille, plus Blue of Noon
Carlyle's Sartor Resartus (sort of school related)
William Blake (hoping to read Northrup Frye in conjunction, but this might be asking too much)
Nietzsche, always
[close]
Why not?
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

[close]

Butchers Crossing I really liked and have Stoner on shelve aswell but not read it yet either,
first finishing up McCarthy's Border triology which has been great and I'm dreading the end abit but as I haven't read any other McCarthy (not sure why) Ive got somethings to look forward to.

also read Olga Tokarczuk's Drive your plough over the bones of the dead after it being recommended on here and enjoyed that too, albeit flimsy ''plottwist''

the Hugo von Hoffmanstahl one sounds nice, read it yet? would love to know if it is worth picking up somewheres

have you heard about this one:

Agreed. It was pleasant enough though.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3304 on: July 19, 2020, 12:18:44 PM »
Read Stoner earlier this week and it was excellent. Most poignant.
I've got these coming in tomorrow and I should tear through em pretty quick.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #3305 on: July 20, 2020, 05:12:06 AM »

Pretty good novel based on the Dozier School for Boys in Florida. A seemingly close to idyllic reform school turns out to be much more nightmarish behind the scenes. I really enjoy Colson Whitehead's succinct writing style, this and The Underground Railroad both had me hooked.

Started this a week ago and I've been immersed in Murakami's writing and atmosphere since. Read Kafka on the Shore a while back but was too intimidated to step to Haruki's magnum opus, now I can't put it down. Any pals have thoughts on this novel?
Nickel Boys was one of the best books I read from last year. It was a brutal story. I plan to read The Underground Railroad soon.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #3306 on: July 22, 2020, 08:01:16 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve had Stoner on my shelf for years and always forget about it. I have to get around to it sooner than later. Thanks for the reminder!
[close]

NP, dude. I've put it off for too long, myself. Williams' prose doesn't quite pull you in, but I feel like it pays to stick with him.

Came here to post my books but saw this and got stoked. I picked up Stoner on a whim one time when I was at Powell’s in Portland. Read it not too long after and boy did it hit me hard, in a way maybe only East of Eden or the Corrections ever did. Definitely a book too under-appreciated today.

As for what I’ve been reading:
Recently read The Fan Man by William Kotzwinkle. It follows a down-and-out guy for a little while as he trapezes around NYC. It was fun with a couple killer lines, but nothing too strenuous.
Also read It Can’t Happen Here, by Sinclair Lewis. Lined up almost perfectly with all of the craziness happening in Portland right now. The parallels between the fascist landscape of the book and today are downright scary.

Right now I’m about 150 pages into On Earth We’re Briefly Beautiful by Ocean Vuong. The guy was awarded a Macarthur grant (or something similar) last year pretty much on this book alone. It’s a letter from the narrator to his mother, a Vietnamese immigrant. Deals with memory and family and the capriciousness of life, I guess. I can already tell it’s gonna make me cry.

I’m gonna try Ducksworth, Ohio next. It’s a big boy, like 900 pages long, most of which is just a single sentence. It’s crazy to flip through and just read for a second, but I’m not sure how it’ll sustain itself over such a length. We’ll see. Has anyone read this book? Any thoughts?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #3307 on: August 04, 2020, 08:58:41 PM »
I'm almost 3/4 of the way through A Visit From the Goon Squad and I have to say I'm into it. It's easy prose with interesting character development. I'm not sure if this book has a bad rep, but I'm almost certain I've read some negative reviews... In any case, it's not bad, imho.

Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3308 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:10 PM »

Read the John Hawkes yet? I read it a long time ago but its esthetic stuck with me.
Would be interested to know what you think/make of it.

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #3309 on: August 05, 2020, 10:22:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Read the John Hawkes yet? I read it a long time ago but its esthetic stuck with me.
Would be interested to know what you think/make of it.

Read Beetle Leg and have since read his Death, Sleep & the Traveler and dipped into both The Passion Artist and The Lime Twig (which I think might be his best, maybe tied with BL, of the stuff I've read). After BL I went up to my university library and picked up a bunch of Hawkes stuff, made a mini-project out of it. He's definitely underrated.

As you've said, the esthetic of BL is really strong, probably unlike anything I've read. The narrative shifts unpredictably in a very "postmodern" way (pretty sure Hawkes wrote it in the 50s (?), so probably ahead of the trend), but what really struck me was the dialogue, in that all the characters either seem to be talking past each other, or that the reader is meant to infer that every statement is thick with subtext. Either way, I had to pump the breaks when people started talking. I'd be interested to go back and see if there's a logic built in, or if Hawkes was just being difficult for difficulty's sake.

While I'm here...

Closing out my summer reading with some Heidegger lectures. Getting geared up to do some teaching of my own:

On thinking.

On Kant.

ride the tiger

• Rep: -18
  • Are you telling me a shrimp fried this rice?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3310 on: August 05, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »

My unpopular opinion is that this forum is actually not about skateboarding.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3311 on: August 05, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »
Interested in superfascism?

ride the tiger

« Reply #3312 on: August 06, 2020, 03:38:48 AM »

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #3313 on: August 06, 2020, 10:18:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Interested in superfascism?
[close]

Yes.

What is superfascism? I'd be interested to hear more about your interest in Evola, rtt. I feel like I'm seeing a sort of groundswell of engagement with midcentury far-right thinkers (on Twitter and Youtube, mostly), but I haven't had time to engage with the literature. Genuinely curious.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3314 on: August 06, 2020, 12:15:40 PM »
“Superfascism” is just how Evola described the relationship between his personal beliefs / philosophies and the Italian Fascism that grew out of them. In Italian, it can mean both “before fascism” or “over / above fascism.” I think he meant both as he seemed to treat his ideas as the more pure foundation of Italian Fascism, which he didn’t view as all-encompassing enough.

I’ve seen a lot of it pop up recently too and have my own interests in it while being very anti-fascist myself. I just personally don’t have much desire to engage with things like Evola’s primary materials as I don’t feel the need to listen to his polemics on traditionalism, etc.

I do have some interest in the mindset and ideologies behind things like mystical fascism but would rather listen / read the thoughts of experts or researchers on the topic.

I guess my comment above was whether the interest in Evola is because of an interest in understanding his impact on the far-right or because he’s someone with a philosophy you want to emulate. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:03:18 PM by oyolar »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #3315 on: August 06, 2020, 01:07:09 PM »
I'm almost 3/4 of the way through A Visit From the Goon Squad and I have to say I'm into it. It's easy prose with interesting character development. I'm not sure if this book has a bad rep, but I'm almost certain I've read some negative reviews... In any case, it's not bad, imho.

I liked it a lot too. Very enjoyable, start to finish, with a couple punches to the stomach along the way, if I remember.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #3316 on: August 06, 2020, 01:12:45 PM »
Yes, the fragmented form really adds to those punches, imho.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #3317 on: August 06, 2020, 02:00:28 PM »
“Superfascism” is just how Evola described the relationship between his personal beliefs / philosophies and the Italian Fascism that grew out of them. In Italian, it can mean both “before fascism” or “over / above fascism.” I think he meant both as he seemed to treat his ideas as the more pure foundation of Italian Fascism, which he didn’t view as all-encompassing enough.

I’ve seen a lot of it pop up recently too and have my own interests in it while being very anti-fascist myself. I just personally don’t have much desire to engage with things like Evola’s primary materials as I don’t feel the need to listen to his polemics on traditionalism, etc.

I do have some interest in the mindset and ideologies behind things like musical fascism but would rather listen / read the thoughts of experts or researchers on the topic.

I guess my comment above was whether the interest in Evola is because of an interest in understanding his impact on the far-right or because he’s someone with a philosophy you want to emulate.

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that for me, oyolar. I imagine most of the people posting about Evola online are more in the emulation/inspiration camp than on the history of ideas side of things. I can't speak for ride the tiger, but their username and one-word response would suggest that they have a more personal connection to the work, and so I was fishing for a little more from them. Maybe I'll get it...

Frankly, all the "trad" stuff-of-late seems LARPy to me.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3318 on: August 06, 2020, 02:04:35 PM »

I do have some interest in the mindset and ideologies behind things like musical fascism but would rather listen / read the thoughts of experts or researchers on the topic.

Interesting. Looked up where he stood on futurism to compare his brand of fascism and apparently he was unimpressed by them. Then again, he lived to a ripe old age and died of heart failure, whereas the futurists glorified war and many of them died under fire for their fascistic beliefs. Anyhoo, you probably are familiar with the Italian futurists, but if not they might interest you if you are delving into more things art-fascist.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3319 on: August 06, 2020, 04:40:21 PM »
I actually love the Italian Futurist aesthetic. They have a unique relationship with Fascism that gets de-contextualized a lot (as dumb as it was). Marinetti apparently was critical of Mussolini when he was first rising in power / authoritarianism but then basically shut up and tried to make futurism the aesthetic principle of Fascism once it became clear that Mussolini was willing to kill anyone who was critical of the regime. At least according to the preface to this book, but I think it's somewhere in the middle: https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Writings-Filippo-Tommaso-Marinetti/dp/0374531072

It is interesting that Futurism aligned itself with Fascism considering their very different ideas towards the past in general, Italian past in particular.

Reading this right now and it's fantastic:

ride the tiger

« Reply #3320 on: August 06, 2020, 11:11:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ah! Thanks for clarifying that for me, oyolar. I imagine most of the people posting about Evola online are more in the emulation/inspiration camp than on the history of ideas side of things. I can't speak for ride the tiger, but their username and one-word response would suggest that they have a more personal connection to the work, and so I was fishing for a little more from them. Maybe I'll get it...

Im not into the fashy side alot of his new fans seem to be alt right larpers, im just interested in traditionalism and love his work.

Highly suggest any of his books.

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #3321 on: August 07, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Im not into the fashy side alot of his new fans seem to be alt right larpers, im just interested in traditionalism and love his work.

V cool. In my literary research, I've been looking a bit at "decadent" literature (mostly in 🇬🇧) and trying to understand the concept/phenomenon of decadence as it takes shape in the minds of the "fin de siecle." Most of the critics/prognosticators of decadence come with a counter-decadent commitment to some kind of traditionalism, so I'm interested in thinking about tradition in that (academic) context.

With respect to the contemporary culture, I think we (me, other white, secular Americans) are often too quick to dispose of, or detach from, traditions in the name of "progress." From the perspective of deep history, progress is a really dubious idea. Cultures develop and bloom over long stretches of time and under different conditions, and I think we'd all do well to think comparatively about cultural values. I think the trad revival of the moment is helping to foster this kind of thinking in some corners of the internet. I'm of the opinion, however, that (barring civilizational collapse) we can never simply "go back" to the way things were; that cultures, like organisms, evolve with time, and that addressing the contingencies of today with yesterday's culture (developed organically in its own time) might prevent us from noticing and cultivating opportunities as they arise, developing new culture, etc...

tiger, are you also into anarcho-primativist stuff? I seem to remember you having a primitivist avatar. Also, any other traditionalists you'd recommend outside of Evola?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #3322 on: August 07, 2020, 09:15:39 AM »

you guys rule i need to check this thread more often

little bit poetry at work today

ride the tiger

« Reply #3323 on: August 07, 2020, 09:24:14 AM »

ride the tiger

« Reply #3324 on: August 07, 2020, 09:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

V cool. In my literary research, I've been looking a bit at "decadent" literature (mostly in 🇬🇧) and trying to understand the concept/phenomenon of decadence as it takes shape in the minds of the "fin de siecle." Most of the critics/prognosticators of decadence come with a counter-decadent commitment to some kind of traditionalism, so I'm interested in thinking about tradition in that (academic) context.

With respect to the contemporary culture, I think we (me, other white, secular Americans) are often too quick to dispose of, or detach from, traditions in the name of "progress." From the perspective of deep history, progress is a really dubious idea. Cultures develop and bloom over long stretches of time and under different conditions, and I think we'd all do well to think comparatively about cultural values. I think the trad revival of the moment is helping to foster this kind of thinking in some corners of the internet. I'm of the opinion, however, that (barring civilizational collapse) we can never simply "go back" to the way things were; that cultures, like organisms, evolve with time, and that addressing the contingencies of today with yesterday's culture (developed organically in its own time) might prevent us from noticing and cultivating opportunities as they arise, developing new culture, etc...

tiger, are you also into anarcho-primativist stuff? I seem to remember you having a primitivist avatar. Also, any other traditionalists you'd recommend outside of Evola?

"The Crisis of the Modern World."- René Guénon

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #3325 on: August 08, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »
Just finished a bit of a Cormac McCarthy bender and have been looking for something to fill the void. Did Legends of the Fall & A River Runs Through It (all 3 short stories. Revenge was great.) I’m almost done with Travels With Charley by Steinbeck for my second time. Any McCarthyesque suggestions?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3326 on: August 09, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »
Just finished a bit of a Cormac McCarthy bender and have been looking for something to fill the void. Did Legends of the Fall & A River Runs Through It (all 3 short stories. Revenge was great.) I’m almost done with Travels With Charley by Steinbeck for my second time. Any McCarthyesque suggestions?

don't talk about books so much, makes you sound like a commie.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #3327 on: August 13, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

don't talk about books so much, makes you sound like a commie.
Well played comrade...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #3328 on: August 13, 2020, 07:36:21 AM »

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #3329 on: August 14, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »

In the Distance by Hernan Diaz definitely evokes aspects of Blood Meridian, really enjoyed both. Think it’s been discussed elsewhere in this thread.