Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717441 times)

A.J.K.

Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #4230 on: November 11, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
^ Love that shot Herc

Sooo about that tumblr project....

Andrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #4231 on: November 11, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »
i'm down for the tumblr project too

The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #4232 on: November 12, 2013, 08:28:38 AM »
Dont want the tumble project to get slept on again either, whats the latest?

(also heres some shots of a sweet car and the change in weather)

A.J.K.

« Reply #4233 on: November 12, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »

Trying to get Fongstarr with it.

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4234 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »

this is really awesome.

I like photos that utilize the environment of the spot or more interesting spots in general. Esp, when the photos would be cool even without the skater.

Dan Sturt is really good at this

pissedead

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4235 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4236 on: November 13, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »
thanks andrew! really getting into.. "basic" shots again, i guess it goes along with my desire to get a FF with a proper fixed focal lense. sturt is one of those guys that comes to mind as well.

now that i got 3 flashes and triggers.
of course.

love your stuff too!

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4237 on: November 13, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #4238 on: November 13, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »
Yo Brian.....I know you use a Canon and shoot flash at your concert shots? Is that just from the camera or do you use an external? Looking to get into some flash stuff but want to do it the budget way. I might get a set of Yongnuo flashes but wonder if anyone has some recommendations.

Any hot shoe flash gun will work. I highly recommend one that can rotate and tilt.

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image
« Reply #4239 on: November 13, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4240 on: November 13, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
was thinking it might be cool to generate some photo discussion in here,

we'll use this as an example to get things started

http://www.laurenmarsolier.com/index.php?/projects/artist-statement/
read the artist statement first, then photos

what do you think of artist statements in general? (we'll keep it to just photography related ones)
what do you think of HER artist statement?
what do you think of her methods?
what do you think of her work?

just curious.

Although I acknowledge the purpose of having an artist statement, I feel like most photographer ones I read make me think negatively about the work. either cause I think they are trying to justify weak work or it's just poorly written.

inb4- "are we doing yr homework or something!?"

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -67
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4241 on: November 13, 2013, 07:40:30 PM »
her artist statement could have just said ' i combine typical postcard serenity with standard/suburban architectural shots using photoshop to achieve a desaturated dystopian image '

I liked the work though, gives me a lot of ideas!
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4242 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:10 PM »
was thinking it might be cool to generate some photo discussion in here,

we'll use this as an example to get things started

http://www.laurenmarsolier.com/index.php?/projects/artist-statement/
read the artist statement first, then photos

what do you think of artist statements in general? (we'll keep it to just photography related ones)
what do you think of HER artist statement?
what do you think of her methods?
what do you think of her work?

just curious.

Although I acknowledge the purpose of having an artist statement, I feel like most photographer ones I read make me think negatively about the work. either cause I think they are trying to justify weak work or it's just poorly written.

inb4- "are we doing yr homework or something!?"

possibly bad form to quote myself but i hate when stuff gets lost being last post on a page hahaha.

but yeah i agree PAWL, I think she could have said a lot more with a lot less. I really liked her stuff though, I think it's interesting and i think she executed it well.

A.J.K.

« Reply #4243 on: November 13, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
You know when you only need a few hundred more words for a paper, and just grasp at any flimsy idea to stretch it out?  That's what a lot of artist statements read like.  Which is sad, because I think photos can definitely be way more than just "oh look, the light hit the object in a cool way" or "wow a that person has great grasp on the rule of thirds".  

When I read a shitty, inflated artist statement I instantly become preoccupied with tearing down the artists work and ostensible vision, as opposed to looking at it impartially and liking it or finding something more meaningful in the photo using my own experiences, ideas, and perception.  I think the best approach is to exclude a statement altogether.  

In the case of a someone working from a more documentarian angle, written work accompanying the photos is fine.  A backstory to the issue being covered, or a brief contextualization usually adds something as opposed to misdirects the audience.

I think her artist statement is fine, and makes sense in relation to the work.  Her method is pretty cool, but doesn't always work out.  Part 2 looks like ordinary photos with the background blacked out, not a fusion of several images.  

I really like desaturated colours and landscape stuff in general, so the rest were pretty interesting.  

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4244 on: November 13, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »
When I read a shitty, inflated artist statement I instantly become preoccupied with tearing down the artists work and ostensible vision, as opposed to looking at it impartially and liking it or finding something more meaningful in the photo using my own experiences, ideas, and perception.  I think the best approach is to exclude a statement altogether.  

i agree. I was talking to someone who has had a formal education in art and is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to topics like this and this is what he said

"The only people who have to make artists' statements are students or people otherwise at the lower part of the 'ladder'. So they probably don't know what they're talking about (yet) and it shows usually.
After a certain point stuff is being written about you and that always has a different tone. First person perspective isn't pretty when it comes to saying why your stuff is more interesting than other people's stuff."

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #4245 on: November 13, 2013, 08:48:06 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of artist statements and usually when I have to explain my work, I just want to say "I did it because I wanted to do it". I kind of live by Garry Winogrand's quote of "I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed."

Edit: I'm also a bit drunk so I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:53:36 PM by Cadillac Ranch Dressing »
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4246 on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
nah that makes sense, that's a cool quote I haven't heard that one. I feel like I'm the same way, although I've been making a conscious effort (within the past year and a half maybe) to try to work on a cohesive series/body of work that is unified by a certain theme or idea. I feel like I can convey a lot simply through the title of the series. I sort of like this approach because it sets the stage but also lets the viewer come around to their own thoughts about the work, which are often more interesting/not exactly the same as my own thoughts.

do you guys put any thought into creating a "series" or anything like that?

also i'm curious to see what photographers you guys are into.

huge fan of these guys
http://alecsoth.com/photography/
http://www.martinkollar.com/nothing-special
http://www.davistim.com/images.php

A.J.K.

« Reply #4247 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
I've never made a solid effort to put together a series, but if I did i'd either put together images i've already shot that have a similar current running through.  Or, I would begin shooting with a really loose and flexible idea, and let the viewer fill in the more subtle meanings of the work on their own.

With regard to how I shoot though, same sounding thing as you guys.  I decide to take a photo because I wanted to, or looked cool in that moment.  Any kind of meaning is usually an afterthought.  This seems to contradict what I said about photos being more than just pretty pictures, but I think what we decide looks good is informed by our own ideas and convictions that quietly make their way into our work.

Maybe I just sound like an overzealous art school kid.

Are you guys going to school for photography?  I'm currently in university for something i'm not particularly passionate about, and think i'm going to apply for a bachelor of photography program at another school.  Would you recommend it?

brianwilson

• Flickr avatar image
« Reply #4248 on: November 14, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4249 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:20 PM »
Are you guys going to school for photography?  I'm currently in university for something i'm not particularly passionate about, and think i'm going to apply for a bachelor of photography program at another school.  Would you recommend it?
I'm in my final semester getting my BFA for photography. I like it, but I'm not sure where I am with it. My plan is grad school in a year or two, but we'll see. I would definitely recommend it because it gives you a good environment to progress in, depending on where you go. Critiques are an awesome thing and great for seeing things in your own photography that you may not have noticed. Access to equipment and facilities is also great. School is an easy way to make contacts, peers and professors. I would go for it, dude, but, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

warewolf_killah

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4250 on: November 17, 2013, 05:08:27 AM »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4251 on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4252 on: November 18, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

foureyedjim

« Reply #4253 on: November 19, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »
Alright PALs, I'm looking to getting a dslr but I'm lost as to what I should get.

I'm interested in a couple off craigslist with both body and lens included:
- Pentax K-x
- Pentax K-7
- Nikon D5100

They're all relatively cheap even though they're used but wanted to see if any of you had input as to what has the best bang for the buck
thanks in advance.

A.J.K.

« Reply #4254 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm in my final semester getting my BFA for photography. I like it, but I'm not sure where I am with it. My plan is grad school in a year or two, but we'll see. I would definitely recommend it because it gives you a good environment to progress in, depending on where you go. Critiques are an awesome thing and great for seeing things in your own photography that you may not have noticed. Access to equipment and facilities is also great. School is an easy way to make contacts, peers and professors. I would go for it, dude, but, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Yeah, I think the biggest problem for me right now is that I feel really disengaged, which makes it hard to have any initiative or take advantage of opportunities that will help me out down the road.   So going to school for something I genuinely love doing, and being surrounded by people that are the same would be rad.  And even though there are people that claim going to school for photography or any other fine art is useless, what you're able to experiment with and the potential you have to grow seems undeniable.  Thanks for the input dude.

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4255 on: November 19, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
Alright PALs, I'm looking to getting a dslr but I'm lost as to what I should get.

- Pentax K-x
- Pentax K-7
- Nikon D5100

They're all relatively cheap even though they're used but wanted to see if any of you had input as to what has the best bang for the buck
thanks in advance.

I'd definitely stick with nikon or canon, the d5100 is a relatively solid camera

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4256 on: November 19, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah, I think the biggest problem for me right now is that I feel really disengaged, which makes it hard to have any initiative or take advantage of opportunities that will help me out down the road.   So going to school for something I genuinely love doing, and being surrounded by people that are the same would be rad.  And even though there are people that claim going to school for photography or any other fine art is useless, what you're able to experiment with and the potential you have to grow seems undeniable.  Thanks for the input dude.
No problem! Anytime man.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4257 on: November 19, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
OMG double post so sry forgive me

foureyedjim

« Reply #4258 on: November 19, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
Expand Quote

- Pentax K-x
- Pentax K-7
- Nikon D5100

thanks in advance.
[close]

I'd definitely stick with nikon or canon, the d5100 is a relatively solid camera

thanks doug, I would actually get the pentax k-5 but thats a lil more expensive

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4259 on: November 20, 2013, 06:46:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Pentax K-x
- Pentax K-7
- Nikon D5100

thanks in advance.
[close]

[close]

thanks doug, I would actually get the pentax k-5 but thats a lil more expensive

The k-5 is a wonderful thing, been using it ever since it came out.

however on the slightly cheaper scale, my buddy got a k-30 recently which is really nice. Entry level price, fully weather sealed with dual dials blah blah blah, slap an old cheap 50 1.7 on there and youre set.