Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 718638 times)

Randozzi

Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #4530 on: March 01, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
Have a Stylus Epic (non-zoom version) and it was about $100 from B&H Photo. Great little camera, pocket sized and the lens is awesome.

Andrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #4531 on: March 01, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
yep i back the stylus epic, probably my favorite camera...

these are all stylus epic photos i took

The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #4532 on: March 01, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm trying to find help searching for a new film camera. I have an av-1 but it appears to be broken! I'm looking for a lightweight reasonably cheap
point and shoot camera that takes decent skate/ landscape photos, by cheap I mean hopefully under $200.
Any recommendations will help! Really digging this thread btw, its part of the reason I'm looking for a new camera

I actually came across one of the Leica Mini Zoom cameras for $100 online and was wondering if they were any good, Ive read they are not really comparable to the leica's people pay thousands for.
[close]
Check out the Stylus Epic (the original fixed lens version, not the zoom).  Never shot with one, but the stuff i've seen taken with them blows me away.  Same sort of deal as a mini zoom, except you'll probably be able to find one for cheaper.  And no way they're comparable to the M series Leicas, but that's not really a point against it considering it makes no sense to compare the two in the first place.
What's different about the zoom lens ones? Lesser image quality?

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4533 on: March 01, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm trying to find help searching for a new film camera. I have an av-1 but it appears to be broken! I'm looking for a lightweight reasonably cheap
point and shoot camera that takes decent skate/ landscape photos, by cheap I mean hopefully under $200.
Any recommendations will help! Really digging this thread btw, its part of the reason I'm looking for a new camera

I actually came across one of the Leica Mini Zoom cameras for $100 online and was wondering if they were any good, Ive read they are not really comparable to the leica's people pay thousands for.
[close]
Check out the Stylus Epic (the original fixed lens version, not the zoom).  Never shot with one, but the stuff i've seen taken with them blows me away.  Same sort of deal as a mini zoom, except you'll probably be able to find one for cheaper.  And no way they're comparable to the M series Leicas, but that's not really a point against it considering it makes no sense to compare the two in the first place.
[close]

basically yeah. the zoom is also a lot slower, the stylus epic has a f2.8 lens while the zoom version is at like f4. with a 2.8 lens you'll be able to shoot in lower light conditions at faster shutter speeds. there are also less elements in the non zoom version so the image quality will be sharper.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #4534 on: March 01, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

basically yeah. the zoom is also a lot slower, the stylus epic has a f2.8 lens while the zoom version is at like f4. with a 2.8 lens you'll be able to shoot in lower light conditions at faster shutter speeds. there are also less elements in the non zoom version so the image quality will be sharper.
Thanks! This thread always makes me want to get into photography soooo bad, so I've been looking around at cameras. Anyone have any recommendations for good, beginner film cameras?

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #4535 on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Thanks! This thread always makes me want to get into photography soooo bad, so I've been looking around at cameras. Anyone have any recommendations for good, beginner film cameras?

stylus would be a great beginner camera, it's fully automatic so you won't get experience with understanding shutter speeds/aperture/exposing but it will really help you develop your photographic eye. it's also a relatively inexpensive way of seeing if photography is a hobby you want to dive deep into. you can find used stylus' for like $60 on ebay.

in terms of SLRs with manual controls, it's honestly hard to go wrong. Canon AE-1, any Nikon in the F/FE/FM series, Olympus OM series, etc. you can usually find cameras like this for super cheap at your local thrift store or on craigslist.

Randozzi

« Reply #4536 on: March 02, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »
also check out the Goodwill online shop, some decent deals in there as well.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #4537 on: March 02, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »
A couple of the Aurora Borealis the other night. Wish I had remembered to change the settings to RAW.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4538 on: March 02, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
is it actually that visible to the naked eye?^
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4539 on: March 02, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »
When I was in Iceland, I sort of saw it but we were pretty close to the city lights. But you can see it and if the camera is set right, you can make that green pop out like crazy. For the most part though, the green is there if you are in the middle of no where with no light pollution.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4540 on: March 02, 2014, 10:06:50 PM »
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #4541 on: March 03, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »
is it actually that visible to the naked eye?^

Totally visible to the naked eye. Sometimes its really weak but it was awesomely strong. There where different colour flashes but I wasn't quick enough getting my shit together. It also pulses across the sky. Have seen it loads as a kid but never had any camera equipment, now I've moved back out to the countryside,  I'm going to be more on it when its around.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4542 on: March 04, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:14:13 AM by Fongstarr. »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #4543 on: March 05, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
^I like that one, these are all from the last few days. Sorry it's so many.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4544 on: March 05, 2014, 04:22:35 PM »
Mother fucker those are sick! What's the settings on those start shots? Are you just somewhere super dark? I have yet to get a decent start shot but literally have to drive far to get away from light pollution.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Councilman Doug

« Reply #4545 on: March 05, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
The ones of the trees were all in the ball park of iso 1600, 10-15 seconds and 1.8. I was driving on a really dark highway inbetween small towns so the stars were insane. You really have to get away from the city to get good stars.

bangkadang

• Rep: 38
« Reply #4546 on: March 05, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »

so fucking dope

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4547 on: March 05, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »
Wait....where do you live again? Florida? That water just looks so damn blue. We got nothing like that in the Bay Area. Haha.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Councilman Doug

« Reply #4548 on: March 05, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
I'm in florida, those underwater pictures were taken at a freshwater spring so the water was insanely clear. That was the first roll of film I shot underwater with the new nikonos and was pretty happy with it, I want to do a bunch of half under have over shots like the last one in different places.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #4549 on: March 05, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

okdad

« Reply #4550 on: March 05, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
resize bruh
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4551 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:42 PM »

These ones are literally top notch professional status
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
« Reply #4552 on: March 06, 2014, 03:36:17 AM »
Eemi

spring is here! yesterday was the first day skating outside this year, feels good!
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Councilman Doug

« Reply #4553 on: March 06, 2014, 07:24:06 AM »

thanks so much man! That last one is actually upside down, nobody really realizes that

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #4554 on: March 06, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks so much man! That last one is actually upside down, nobody really realizes that

what are they taken on?
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Councilman Doug

« Reply #4555 on: March 06, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

what are they taken on?

those are all taken with a d600 and a 28mm.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #4556 on: March 06, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
It's a good day for me and my camera. I just got a job as the photographer for a summer camp out in Wyoming. Then shortly after I get off the phone about the job I get an email from a museum in Texas that want's to use one of my photos as window treatment during an exhibit of Ansel Adams originals they have coming up. I'm stoked.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #4557 on: March 06, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Nice! I've been on the hunt for photo jobs. Congrats on the museum thing too!

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Randozzi

« Reply #4558 on: March 06, 2014, 10:56:26 PM »
Congrats Friendly Dave!!!

If anyone so feels inclined, submit some photos to the Quiet Life's Camera Club - http://thequietlife.com/camera_club/cc_join.php

SF_EMB

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4559 on: March 07, 2014, 09:55:08 AM »

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:57:35 AM by SF_EMB »