Author Topic: bikes  (Read 310148 times)

baegis (+ 1 Hidden) and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hercules Rockefeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: bikes
« Reply #570 on: July 18, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »

MFLUDER

« Reply #571 on: July 18, 2012, 07:03:26 AM »
I rode fixed on an old raleigh for ages but got kinda impractical riding to my graveyard shift in weird night traffic and home at 5am with sketchy cars and so on. Still so much fun tho, just riding around on flat and doing weird missions. Feels really good.
Its set as a single speed now and heaps more chill but I kinda feel lazy, fixed over a distance with hills makes you really work for it but super rewarding.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #572 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »
Check out City Grounds. Sometimes you can find some good deals on bikes and frames if you aren't too picky.

http://citygrounds.com/
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
« Reply #573 on: August 06, 2012, 01:06:34 PM »
I broke my saddle on my fixed gear and bought a brooks saddle.  I put the saddle on my touring bike on the fixed gear and put the brooks on the touring bike.  After the the brooks is broken in, I hope they are as comfortable as people say

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #574 on: August 06, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »
I rode fixed on an old raleigh for ages but got kinda impractical riding to my graveyard shift in weird night traffic and home at 5am with sketchy cars and so on.

Probably the best time to be on the road IMO.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

MFLUDER

« Reply #575 on: August 07, 2012, 03:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote
I rode fixed on an old raleigh for ages but got kinda impractical riding to my graveyard shift in weird night traffic and home at 5am with sketchy cars and so on.
[close]

Probably the best time to be on the road IMO.

The ride home was always really good, I would catch sunrises and try race home beating my old time but It was the ride there that was awful.

I worked wed, fri and sat nights and they are bigtime party nights for asshole NRL dudes who ride around in utes throwing shit at anyone they can see. I copped so many eggs just riding my bike to work, people love to fuck with someone on a bike in a shit town in Australia.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #576 on: August 07, 2012, 05:41:17 AM »

finished my new one. finally a bike that is my size.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #577 on: August 25, 2012, 05:38:05 AM »
finally finished my new ride, shop frame (suicycle  st.pauli) and everything else is not really special. my first fixed bike and I gotta say it's awesome to ride. good way to get rid of anger and energy.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #578 on: August 25, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
My bike wouldn't stay in an easier gear yesterday, unless you held the gearshift with the right amount of pressure.made it hard to bike all uphill to the skate park in the lowest gear, with two almost flat tires.I conceded I'd have to take it in for repairs. fiddled with some shit when I got to the park and I fixed it, felt awesome.then on the way home I dumped it one time trying to go as slow as my friend who was walking, bent the handlebars badly.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #579 on: August 25, 2012, 09:58:40 AM »
1988 Cannondale SR500

Got these with SPD cleats

Kinda look like DVS Original Intents or something from that '05 era.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
« Reply #580 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:40 AM »
Bought an oldish Vantara GT frame bike off one of the guys at the local bike kitchen for about $120. Had to buy a new fork and he threw in new brakes and other smaller parts. It looks hella beat up but rides like a dream. Perfect for the city.

edit: this could be the exact frame model, found on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:29:30 AM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #581 on: August 25, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »
Guise... you're not really cycling if you're not clipping in.

Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #582 on: August 26, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
I am currently sporting a hybrid road/mountain bike, but I might build my own road bike or a fixed gear.

What are some prettty reputable websites for buying parts?

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #583 on: August 26, 2012, 07:37:34 PM »
I am currently sporting a hybrid road/mountain bike, but I might build my own road bike or a fixed gear.

if you're in the states, search the bikes section on craigslist.org. if you look a few times daily, you will most likely have the opportunity to score some awesome bikes/parts at great prices. got my surly crosscheck on there last summer for $800 and an old bianchi that's so mint the cotter pins popped right outta the crank...

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #584 on: August 26, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »

www.wiggle.co.uk
and www.chainreactioncycles.com

both out of the uk are cheap and have cheap worldwide shipping.  i order from them to australia.  also jensons in the US.

there is performance and nashbar in the US as well.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #585 on: August 30, 2012, 05:17:58 AM »
I want a bike, but most of the trendy/ sporty ones are not really functional for everyday business...
Here's a few cool ones from Copenhagen:

i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: August 30, 2012, 05:30:07 AM »
oh fuck, copenhagen has so many really really nice bikes.

and every single one of them has a brooks saddle. rich people.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #587 on: September 24, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
I have an old road bike that needs a lot of work. I took it to a certain Young St. bike shop and he said it would cost 150-200 to fix. I fully expected that, and wasn't opposed to paying that much.. But the guy made it sound like it wasn't worth it.. Not worth it for him or myself I'm not sure.

I said I'd think about it and get back to him, but really though.. I can't imagine I'll find a decent road bike for less than 200 either new or used. So should I insist he do the work, take it elsewhere, or buy an ultimate piece of shit bike for under 200?

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #588 on: September 24, 2012, 09:36:55 AM »

oh fuck, copenhagen has so many really really nice bikes.

and every single one of them has a brooks saddle. rich people.

are brooks saddles worth it?  thinkin about getting one but not looking forward to the break in time on my nads
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #589 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
While in Copenhagen, my friend tried to persuade me into stealing a bike. He said its a common practice in there, like loaning an umbrella. I didnt do it, though.

Oh, and Ive been bike-riding like crazy because it will be wintertime here soon. Anyone ride in the snow?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:21:38 AM by Bronson »

steve

« Reply #590 on: September 24, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
I have an old road bike that needs a lot of work. I took it to a certain Young St. bike shop and he said it would cost 150-200 to fix. I fully expected that, and wasn't opposed to paying that much.. But the guy made it sound like it wasn't worth it.. Not worth it for him or myself I'm not sure.

I said I'd think about it and get back to him, but really though.. I can't imagine I'll find a decent road bike for less than 200 either new or used. So should I insist he do the work, take it elsewhere, or buy an ultimate piece of shit bike for under 200?

Dude might be acting pretentious but he's a bike mechanic and most likely privy to riding awesome bikes. For this reason your old road bike might be nothing special for him, but for you, someone just getting into riding a road bike, it could be perfect. If he's fixing it and making $150-200, it's worth it for him! What'd he say needs to be done? are you getting new components out of this guy? If it's a $150-200 tune up, fuck him.

what kind of bike is it? if the gears don't work properly and the frame is solid, it wouldn't be tough to find someone to help strip it down and turn it into a single speed or fixed gear. You'd pretty much be paying for a new wheel set.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: September 24, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
It's a Miyata One Hundred, so it has a pretty decent frame and components. I paid $25 for it and it's served me great for the past two years.  So I was willing to spend a bit of dough to keep it going.  But I basically needed a new wheel set, brakes, tires, some other stuff.. He pretty much refused to fix.  Then I took it to another shop and the guy seemed more than willing to take it on.  Looks like after parts, labor and tax it's gonna cost about $250.. that's if I don't end up needing a new derailleur or anything else.. Big expense, but having a bike in the city is a must for me.

garbage plate

• Rep: 34
« Reply #592 on: September 24, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
had it for 7 years.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:26:50 PM by garbage plate »

steve

« Reply #593 on: September 24, 2012, 04:23:56 PM »
It's a Miyata One Hundred, so it has a pretty decent frame and components. I paid $25 for it and it's served me great for the past two years.  So I was willing to spend a bit of dough to keep it going.  But I basically needed a new wheel set, brakes, tires, some other stuff.. He pretty much refused to fix.  Then I took it to another shop and the guy seemed more than willing to take it on.  Looks like after parts, labor and tax it's gonna cost about $250.. that's if I don't end up needing a new derailleur or anything else.. Big expense, but having a bike in the city is a must for me.

do what you want with it but for that kind of money I don't think it's worth it. I've seen them on CL in ride ready condition for less.

Take the leap of faith and go fixed. Once you buy the wheel set all you will ever need to repair are tires and you can do that yourself. Why do you need gears in the city anyways?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #594 on: September 27, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
I know 250 to fix an old roadie sounds nuts, but it's Canada so everything costs more.  It would have been hard for me to find something as good for that price.  Guy at the shop did an unreal job of cleaning it too.. I need to step my maintenance game up.  As for fixies, they might be good in some places but where I live is all hills.. so brakes and gears are a luxury I've become accustomed to.  Anyway here's my ride..

steve

« Reply #595 on: September 28, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
^^
your bike looks nice! if you like riding it, well, the $ is worth it. ride the fuck out of it!

malibu hamish

• Rep: -11
« Reply #596 on: September 29, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »
technically its a trike but its the best bike i ever owned.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #597 on: September 29, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
I want to start a beater bike club nd do mass ghost rides....like 50 bikes going down a hill would be sick....

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #598 on: September 30, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
These are my current bikes

2011 Giant Anthem.  It is a full on cross country bike but I put on a shorter stem to kind of all mountain it.  It is really fast and fun to ride.
Also pictured is my cat Stinky.

1994 Litespeed Catalyst.  It has pretty much original components except for a rim from when I got hit by a car and I put on a carbon seat post that matches the fork.  I don't road ride as much as mountain bike but I love this bike a and will never sell it while I am not attached to my mountain bike at all and always want to upgrade.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:14:32 AM by rfox »

malibu hamish

• Rep: -11
« Reply #599 on: October 15, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
didnt know where to post this but the bikes thread seemed appropriate