Author Topic: bikes  (Read 312922 times)

Stephens Lawyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 139
Re: bikes
« Reply #1230 on: November 15, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
As the proud dad of a recently acquired Soma Wolverine gravel bike, go with the gravel bike. It's still a joy to ride around on roads. I do regular lengthy commute of 30-35 miles (round trip) and it's barely different from when I had a road bike... But now I can roll through the fire roads in my state forest no prob and have the potential to fully rack it up if I end up wanting to do some touring. Panaracer gravelking 45 is a good all around tire for this sort of bike.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1231 on: November 15, 2019, 04:43:22 PM »
To add to gravel bikes idea you could get some hybrid tires and a decent single speed bike for around $175 to $200.

I know fixed gears suck but single speed is a good option to think about, especially if you have thin but knobby tires.

Pretty sure the all city big block can run some thicc bois if you’re into the single speed idea. Not a super cheap bike but also not breaking the bank. I also every now and again check Craigslist for older mountain bikes with 26in wheels. Been seeing a good amount of custom builds on these things that seem like they’d be a ton of fun to cruise on.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1232 on: November 15, 2019, 07:21:00 PM »
Looking to solicit some advice from more experienced riders. I've purchased / sold a few bikes over the past several years from being on and off the ability to ride. I recently switched jobs and have gotten to know some people that go on regular 20-30 mile rides. I'm considering getting back into riding for my work commute, which is less than ten miles, but also joining this riding group. Not really looking to spend a ton of money right now - I want to be sure I'm serious about it first - but I'm looking at getting a gravel bike or a road bike.

On the one hand, I feel like a gravel bike will get me a little more versatility and handle some roads around where I'm at that aren't that great. I wouldn't have to be as careful about where I'm riding / take it on the occasional trail if I feel so inclined, and buy a set of road tires for longer group rides. I honestly don't know if I have the experience to tell the difference between road / gravel at this point. On the other hand, a road bike is probably built more toward my long-term goal of using riding as a regular source of fitness and viable commute option. Curious anyone's take or experience on one vs the other. Thanks in advance.

I have a Surly Straggler- I guess its considered a Gravel bike. Its a heavy piece of steel but the most versatile bike I've ever owned. I have 43mm Bruce Gordon Rock and Road tyres on it and regularly do mixed terrain rides (paved and unpaved) between 25 and 60 miles. I also did a century on it. Anyway, you can put skinny slicks on it and keep up with the roadies, load it up for commuting/ bike packing, or do some single track on it.  There are many bikes like it in this day and age. Its a good time for versatile cycling.

Side note, I commute around town on a Surly Steamroller single speed and its gone from skinny tyred breakless fixed gear to single speed, 2 brakes, lower gearing size, wider and wider bars with 33 tyres.

I'm on one of these two bikes most days. Not fancy. Pretty heavy but they suit me.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1233 on: November 15, 2019, 08:10:04 PM »

Goddamn. in the same light as skating, I had to stop riding fixed because of some injuries and had kinda blanked it out of my mind. This video got me hyped. There's nothing comparable to riding in a busy ass city during rush hour. man...
Support your local skate shop

switchmongojazzpush

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1234 on: November 15, 2019, 10:52:12 PM »
I was recently given this Merida road bike by some mates doing spring cleaning. Wondering if anyone had suggestions for ways to attach my skateboard other than the behind the backpack technique.
Any advice would be much appreciated,
Namaste :) Shalom

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1235 on: November 16, 2019, 05:48:20 AM »
I was recently given this Merida road bike by some mates doing spring cleaning. Wondering if anyone had suggestions for ways to attach my skateboard other than the behind the backpack technique.
First off thats a sharp bike and damned good kickdown.  As far as a board holder they've got racks that could accommodate but it's all person all preference. 

A rack that's flat over your back bike tire or there's one that attaches on the side either way it's up to you.

switchmongojazzpush

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1236 on: November 16, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
Thanks for your help mate!

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1237 on: November 16, 2019, 05:39:23 PM »
Does that bike have braze ons to attach racks? Looks like it might be a bit too sporty to have areas you can attach racks to?

I personally like front racks for skateboards. you can get them nice a wide so the board is stable. however it will impact the handling of the bike.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1238 on: November 16, 2019, 06:47:52 PM »
Does that bike have braze ons to attach racks? Looks like it might be a bit too sporty to have areas you can attach racks to?

I personally like front racks for skateboards. you can get them nice a wide so the board is stable. however it will impact the handling of the bike.
A front basket is nice but awkward as to figure how to mount.

They’ve got a seat post rack for clipping boards lengthwise

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1239 on: November 16, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
  Another method is to hold ur board with one hand on the bar grip.  You can still modulate ur brake holding ur board like that 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1240 on: November 16, 2019, 07:15:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
A front basket is nice but awkward as to figure how to mount.

With the right braze ons it takes about 5 to 10 minutes. The seat post set up looks great for skateboards though.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1241 on: December 11, 2019, 05:32:21 PM »
Finally got around to changing my brake pads today, Jesus what an arseache that was. Having never done it I made it way too complicated, got there in the end and the awful sound of well worn brakes has finally gone though so overall a success

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1242 on: December 12, 2019, 07:43:44 AM »
Just installed 29"x2.5" maxxis hookworms on my mtb. I went on a little night jam and it felt really good. Such a smooth ride. Having a hard time uploading photos from my phone but ill post a pic soon.
  If people want a 'gravel' bike or a 'road' bike just an old rigid mtb frame that fits you and those hookworms (Which can be ordered in 26' as well as 29' and in different widths)  is all you need to fuck up pavement roads or gravel.  150 bucks to put together a bike like that or less.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:36:01 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1243 on: December 12, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »

If you're planning on putting a rack on this bike, Fairdale makes an excellent vertical skateboard rack that I've been using for upwards of 7 years. The kingpin drops right in and you don't have to think about any movement or trouble in regards to width like when you ride with a board/backpack combo. I can't recommend it enough.

https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/products/skaterack

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2532
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1244 on: December 12, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
Finally got around to changing my brake pads today, Jesus what an arseache that was. Having never done it I made it way too complicated, got there in the end and the awful sound of well worn brakes has finally gone though so overall a success

Next time try getting these: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/4013-609/V-Brake-Shoe-Pad-Assembly
You can replace the pads without having to umount the whole brake.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1245 on: December 12, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
I love my bike like I said I have had to wing it when it comes to sizes either too big or too small I just rocked till the wheels fell off.

Whenever I get an upgrade I usually kickdown my old bike as I know what it's like to not have a set of wheels to get around.

As cool as it is to skate everywhere nothing's worse then skating while having swampass and or getting chaffage in your thighs, you need a bike especially in the summertime.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1246 on: December 12, 2019, 11:42:29 PM »
Good looks Allen, I should be set for a bit with these new pads but I’ll keep those in mind

theSketchLord

• Rep: 42
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1247 on: December 14, 2019, 06:00:01 AM »
Picked up my new bike today Cult Devotion 29" BMX.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1248 on: December 15, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
    Im building a steep quarter pipe for my bmx in a barn.  It will be shiddy so it wont be ridable on a skateboard.  Thats a big advantage to bmx actually.  U can  kind of pile up junk, stick some nails in it and boom! ur bmxing.  I cant air out to well with standard transitions but if its tight it works for me.  On a bmx u cant bail like a skate - the fear factor is real in the air on a bmx.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1249 on: December 18, 2019, 03:45:23 AM »
Renovated an old Schwinn Superstock Comp from '99. 20" TT is too small for me so I'm selling it. Getting a decade newer, RedLine 24" ProLine Cruiser tomorrow.

Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1250 on: December 18, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
Renovated an old Schwinn Superstock Comp from '99. 20" TT is too small for me so I'm selling it. Getting a decade newer, RedLine 24" ProLine Cruiser tomorrow.

Ive got a 21 tt 20 inch.  Im eventually going to buy the "elevenz" handle bars and forks with more offset to make it all more comfy for my 6'1 older self.  I'd love to try or own a 24'.  Whats it like?

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1251 on: December 19, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
  Ive got a 21 tt 20 inch.  Im eventually going to buy the "elevenz" handle bars and forks with more offset to make it all more comfy for my 6'1 older self.  I'd love to try or own a 24'.  Whats it like?
24"  feels like a really comfortable bmx/mountain bike configuration.  Something you can stand up on and catch air albeit bunnyhops and dirttrack but it's not going to give your knees any soreness if you just want to cruise without standing up.

I've contemplated getting one as I am starting to feel my age but I don't want one of those 26" bmx with the dinky handlebars I like the way bmx bars look especially the tall 11" bars.

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1252 on: December 20, 2019, 01:08:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
*pic*
[close]
[close]
24"  feels like a really comfortable bmx/mountain bike configuration.  Something you can stand up on and catch air albeit bunnyhops and dirttrack but it's not going to give your knees any soreness if you just want to cruise without standing up.

I've contemplated getting one as I am starting to feel my age but I don't want one of those 26" bmx with the dinky handlebars I like the way bmx bars look especially the tall 11" bars.

this is the bike i got, sorry for the shit pic. it feels a lot nicer than the 20", which i could never get used to. caught a couple tiny airs off speed bumps on my way to work. i haven't put the seat up super high yet to sit and pedal comfortably—but its a noticeable improvement already. happy with it, but i'll have to change the red. conflicted on the racing plate, its kinda weird but so are the dinky handlebars behind it.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1253 on: December 21, 2019, 07:46:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
*pic*
[close]
[close]

[close]

this is the bike i got, sorry for the shit pic. it feels a lot nicer than the 20", which i could never get used to. caught a couple tiny airs off speed bumps on my way to work. i haven't put the seat up super high yet to sit and pedal comfortably—but its a noticeable improvement already. happy with it, but i'll have to change the red. conflicted on the racing plate, its kinda weird but so are the dinky handlebars behind it.
I like the racing plate, that's just me though.   I like a smooth tire so there's little to no resistance.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1254 on: January 10, 2020, 09:51:30 PM »
Pals that commute, what sort of locks do you guys run? I managed to crack the plastic casing on my abus and don’t know how I feel running it in the state it’s in now

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1529
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1255 on: January 11, 2020, 12:13:20 AM »
onguard pitbull u lock, the long version. I can lock my back rim and the back of my frame to 99% of bike stands available and it is pretty affordable. found some online reviews that mention it is not the most secure, but that depends on the lock in the near vicinity and I've yet encountered a better lock, so the thief would always go for the worse locked bikes first (my bike is not too shabby, but it is not worth a lot of trouble for stealing, resale value could not be more that 200€)

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1256 on: January 11, 2020, 01:29:13 AM »
In a panic I bought a kryptonite New York, my bikes worth around $1300 and it’s my main get down for transport. My only concern is how bulky that shit looks, I usually tuck my lock into my stretchy belt (im one of those assholes)

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #1257 on: January 11, 2020, 03:57:27 AM »
what size did u get? i think the ny line is on the higher end safety wise. i have a kryptonite evo mini 7, and i feel like its a pretty good size—never had trouble locking my frame anywhere and isnt too bulky

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1258 on: January 11, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
I got the mini, it’s a solid thick u bolt and the shackle part oversized. Not sure if I’ll keep it or return once I see how heavy it is, I’m gonna check out the evo 5 later today and compare

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #1259 on: January 11, 2020, 09:14:06 PM »
Got this one off of offerup today. I paid $150. Tell me how stupid I am and how much I fucked up.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?