Author Topic: bikes  (Read 313008 times)

Beeda Weeda

Re: bikes
« Reply #1440 on: June 15, 2020, 05:19:25 AM »
I'd say get it, its a good bike and its  good looking. As dumb as it sounds, having a pretty bike can make a difference to motivate you to ride. Look good, feel good.
That bike will also hold it's value as well if not better than other bikes.
You could unload it onto some hipster for 75-100% of what you paid for it for years to come.

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1441 on: June 15, 2020, 05:28:40 AM »
^

yeah i've seen it sold used for relatively high prices, so much so that i'm thinking it's not worth the hassle to purchase a used bike that i might have to drive a few hours to pick up nonetheless for almost 70% of it's original new price.

i'll give myself another day to think this over since i have to keep my funds together, but you pretty much convinced me ha ha.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #1442 on: June 15, 2020, 06:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote
This thread just makes me want to buy more bikes. Like now I think I need a single speed and a mountain bike.

So... Serious question. Are bike shorts or underwear worth it? I feel like I can't, or don't need to go full kit.
[close]

Definitely worth it. I wear them under some cutoff dickies. Haven’t gone full kit yet.

Full kit under cut off dickies and t shirt.
Padded shorts help a lot. Finding the right saddle helps. Riding more and getting used to it is a lot of it. Padded shorts feel gross when not on a bicycle, make that sacrifice.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1443 on: June 15, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
Grabbed a 20 year old Specialized FSR from my dad last week. Never really been into biking other than BMXing when I was younger but I’ve been having a ton of fun, riding with a suspension is such a nice feeling just being able to roll over anything
  With the 24 in back?  Prolly pretty fun ride.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1444 on: June 15, 2020, 06:53:23 PM »
Hi guys, I joined the Strava group and already feel bad for how many more miles you road bike guys can log in a ride. Regardless, this is probably the most fun I’ve had doing anything in a few years and can’t stop thinking about riding.

On the cycling shorts note, after picking up my bike on Friday I went for a 4 mile singletrack ride and had to quit due to pain in my gooch area. To remedy this, I ordered some Pearl Izumi Quest cycling shorts which have already allowed me to ride nearly pain-free for quite a bit longer. I’m not buying a new saddle when this one gets the job done, would rather spend money on going tubeless and getting some more components.

This bike is piss poor on the road unfortunately, with 2.6 tires and all mountain gearing it requires so much effort to keep my speed up. On dirt roads/single track on the other hand, it slays. I rode some dirtbike trails today that are pure chunder, and while I did get rattled I made it down in one piece, and quickly at that.

Enough talking, here’s some pics.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1445 on: June 15, 2020, 07:21:39 PM »
Wish I could get out for a ride but I’m in the middle of working 86 hours in 7 days straight. Been lucky enough to get a few runs in but I’m really looking forward to a nice ride Friday.

I might have missed this in the bike short discussion but did anyone give any brand recommendations? Seems like every review on bike shorts I come across is negative.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1446 on: June 15, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »
I have two pairs of the mid priced Pearl Izumi shorts.  The ones that are $80, but hunt for sales.  Any time I ride for more than 30 minutes I wear them.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #1447 on: June 15, 2020, 10:28:32 PM »
I always go bibs over shorts, everything just stays in place better.

For more inexpensive bibs, I’ve had good experiences with dhB, which is a Canadian or UK brand. Affordable but solid. I know people also swear by The Black Bibs, which are another US company’s (can’t remember which) bibs and jerseys without any branding. The shop deck of bibs. Their plain bibs are $40 and deluxe are $65, pretty reasonable as far as cycling stuff goes.

When I’m feeling flashy or have a longer or group ride, I’m super partial to Eliel for bibs and jerseys. Really high quality fabrics, and the company is based nearby.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1448 on: June 16, 2020, 03:51:23 AM »
I prefer the bib too, I like the idea that my ass isn't going to be hanging out. I have a  sugoi bib currently, I have had bontrager before and they were both great. I feel like you get what you pay for.
One mistake I made was putting them in the dyer, and using fabric softener.
Machine wash and hang it to dry, probably pretty obvious to most people, but I fucked up a really nice bib doing this.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1449 on: June 16, 2020, 09:28:19 AM »
Definitely prefer bibs over shorts, except when having to pee. But when you get home you can take your clothes off and pretend that you're in a wrestling outfit which I enjoy doing to terrorize my dog

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #1450 on: June 16, 2020, 09:49:31 AM »
Definitely prefer bibs over shorts, except when having to pee. But when you get home you can take your clothes off and pretend that you're in a wrestling outfit which I enjoy doing to terrorize my dog

If you don't act like AC Slater getting ready for a wrestling match while in you bib, are you even bibbing right?

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1451 on: June 16, 2020, 05:38:19 PM »
 Appreciate all the recommendations. Ended up getting a bontrager bib. My dog better be ready for the peoples elbow.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1452 on: June 16, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »
Hi guys, I joined the Strava group and already feel bad for how many more miles you road bike guys can log in a ride. Regardless, this is probably the most fun I’ve had doing anything in a few years and can’t stop thinking about riding.

On the cycling shorts note, after picking up my bike on Friday I went for a 4 mile singletrack ride and had to quit due to pain in my gooch area. To remedy this, I ordered some Pearl Izumi Quest cycling shorts which have already allowed me to ride nearly pain-free for quite a bit longer. I’m not buying a new saddle when this one gets the job done, would rather spend money on going tubeless and getting some more components.

This bike is piss poor on the road unfortunately, with 2.6 tires and all mountain gearing it requires so much effort to keep my speed up. On dirt roads/single track on the other hand, it slays. I rode some dirtbike trails today that are pure chunder, and while I did get rattled I made it down in one piece, and quickly at that.

Enough talking, here’s some pics.

Take a small pump and inflate ur tires for the road segments.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1453 on: June 16, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »
Appreciate all the recommendations. Ended up getting a bontrager bib. My dog better be ready for the peoples elbow.
Not that kind of wrestling...

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1454 on: June 16, 2020, 09:37:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not that kind of wrestling...

That’s not what The Rock says

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 443
« Reply #1455 on: June 17, 2020, 06:35:34 AM »
Getting fitted for a gravel rig tonight, if they have the one I've been eyeballing in stock in my size I'm leaving with it.

Haven't been fit for a bike before, figured spending $2kish I should probably do it right.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1456 on: June 17, 2020, 06:51:25 AM »
gravel is so hot right now, almost as fast as a road bike, yet not having to worry about punctures when you ride over a pebble, or just ripping a trais, I like it.
This guy is my favourite cycling YouTube you right now

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1457 on: June 17, 2020, 07:16:07 AM »
The homie talked me into it, I was going to get a road and he suggested gravel. Which will most likely be better for what I ride. Suburban bike lanes are full of rocks and debris so it definitely makes more sense for me.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1458 on: June 17, 2020, 07:48:42 AM »
I agree, I think I will get myself a gravel rig sooner or later.
What kind of bike are you eyeing?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1459 on: June 17, 2020, 08:41:22 AM »
Hot!!! Getting fitted seems to be the way to go. I’ve bought way too many bikes off of crailslist, and it’s just kinda dumb, and another good way to accumulate too much crap that doesn’t work. Gravel seems like a really cool in between and I can see how it’s gotten popular. The ability to go off road instead of just sucking exhaust would be nice. I went way too hard on the track bike thing, as the cool kids were getting out of it I kept buying their bikes. Fun, but.....brakes and gears would be nice.

If I get to the point where I can afford it, I’m back and forth between: crosscheck, Clem Smith jr, and some less expensive version of the bike Mark Gonzales used to do wall rides and shit on.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1460 on: June 17, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »
Eyeballing this one

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/zydeco-bike-full-color/

Hot!!! Getting fitted seems to be the way to go. I’ve bought way too many bikes off of crailslist, and it’s just kinda dumb, and another good way to accumulate too much crap that doesn’t work. Gravel seems like a really cool in between and I can see how it’s gotten popular. The ability to go off road instead of just sucking exhaust would be nice. I went way too hard on the track bike thing, as the cool kids were getting out of it I kept buying their bikes. Fun, but.....brakes and gears would be nice.

If I get to the point where I can afford it, I’m back and forth between: crosscheck, Clem Smith jr, and some less expensive version of the bike Mark Gonzales used to do wall rides and shit on.

I'm riding a cheap fixed setup I picked up, definitely looking forward to gear options and the ability to coast. More looking forward to a bike that fits me. I scooped the cheap fixed and just started swapping parts out to make it comfortable and I just can't get it all the way there. 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1461 on: June 17, 2020, 12:43:49 PM »
Eyeballing this one

Expand Quote

[close]

I'm riding a cheap fixed setup I picked up, definitely looking forward to gear options and the ability to coast. More looking forward to a bike that fits me. I scooped the cheap fixed and just started swapping parts out to make it comfortable and I just can't get it all the way there.

Those are dope.

I saw the deal you got on that bike, great way to get started, but if it doesn’t fit, best just to move along.

If I had it all over to do again, I’d get a steel bike. My favorite bicycle to date was an aluminum frame, carbon forked track bike, felt fast. I will choose steel going forward because I find it to be more comfortable, and more durable. Also cheaper. Also ‘modes of failure’. I’d ride a few bikes before purchasing. I have a desire to go towards the extreme ends of things: riding a 7.5 at times, or a track bike. Extreme positions are romantic. Later on, I question my motives for those choices. And I’m just getting older. So now bikes with more safety and comfort are more appealing. Going to a few different bike shops helps. Talking to some people from a few different bicycle disciplines is also helpful.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1462 on: June 17, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »
Eyeballing this one

Expand Quote

[close]

Functional and sexy.  Get it.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1463 on: June 18, 2020, 02:38:51 AM »
Where I’m from in Tulsa, there’s a route called WNR (Wednesday Night Ride) which spans about 30 miles, it’s a route that cyclists have been riding every Wednesday night for like 50 years. I rode it tonight on accident, initially just planning on meeting a friend for a quick ride. First ride exclusively on all roads and with more than 1 person. There was a brief span of about ten miles where we ended up with a large group, and that shit is fucking crazy. I’m still giddy hours later.

It was also the first time falling trying to clip out of pedals, and it happened three times, every time in traffic stopped at intersections surrounded by experienced cyclists, which was fucking embarrassing. Still learning.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1464 on: June 18, 2020, 04:20:39 AM »
That bike is sick, I agree about getting an aluminium or steel frame.  I have a carbon cannondale super six with frame damage from a broken bottom bracket. Its fucking annoying. (its  a replacement frame, I cracked the down tube on the original frame, covered by warranty)
I now also have a specialized venge that I am kinda afraid to push it on out of fear of damaging the frame.
The cannondale caad or specalized allez are two really nice  aluminium frames. Super stiff and only 1-2 lbs heavier than a carbon comparison. I realized I am not fast enough or good enough to really feel the difference of a few lbs. My weigh fluctuates 2-4 lbs all the time.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #1465 on: June 18, 2020, 04:25:22 AM »
Where I’m from in Tulsa, there’s a route called WNR (Wednesday Night Ride) which spans about 30 miles, it’s a route that cyclists have been riding every Wednesday night for like 50 years. I rode it tonight on accident, initially just planning on meeting a friend for a quick ride. First ride exclusively on all roads and with more than 1 person. There was a brief span of about ten miles where we ended up with a large group, and that shit is fucking crazy. I’m still giddy hours later.

It was also the first time falling trying to clip out of pedals, and it happened three times, every time in traffic stopped at intersections surrounded by experienced cyclists, which was fucking embarrassing. Still learning.
I got myself new pedals like 2 weeks ago, coming from flats I was super scared to go on my first ride with them as I’ve heard so many of those stories from friends. I set them as loose as they go and today was the first time I had to clip out of them in rush, someone slammed in front of me with bike and by my surprise just after two weeks and like 100km’s  I clipped BOTH my feet of and managed to stay up😊
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
« Reply #1466 on: June 18, 2020, 06:43:42 AM »
that cinelli is sick as hell, only thing is you may be able to get higher end parts at that price point on a bike that doesn't say "cinelli" on it... like, say, canyon has a model at $2100 with hydraulic discs instead of cable, sram rival instead of apex... etc. don't let that stop you though.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1467 on: June 18, 2020, 07:10:53 AM »
that cinelli is sick as hell, only thing is you may be able to get higher end parts at that price point on a bike that doesn't say "cinelli" on it... like, say, canyon has a model at $2100 with hydraulic discs instead of cable, sram rival instead of apex... etc. don't let that stop you though.

Pulled the trigger on the Cinelli. Have to wait about a week for it to arrive and get assembled. Total out the door with tax was $1,800. I looked at the Canyon, it was a few hundred more for some better components but also at least another month wait for stock to be available. They also pulled out a few Bianchi gravels to check out. Settled on the Cinelli. I just really like the look and colors on it, part of my decision was how I would feel on it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1468 on: June 18, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »
nice purchase man! that bike looks like a lot of fun.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1469 on: June 18, 2020, 08:24:28 AM »
Tom Segura likes bikes.