Author Topic: bikes  (Read 310259 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
Re: bikes
« Reply #1470 on: June 18, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »
that cinelli is sick as hell, only thing is you may be able to get higher end parts at that price point on a bike that doesn't say "cinelli" on it... like, say, canyon has a model at $2100 with hydraulic discs instead of cable, sram rival instead of apex... etc. don't let that stop you though.

There's the Canyon CF Endurance with Ultegra and disc brakes I've been eyeing, but my wife would slap the shit out of me if I bought it. HAHA. Bigger expenses to take care of (and to save up for) before I add another bike to the roster.

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1471 on: June 18, 2020, 01:02:37 PM »
I've been riding about once a week for cardio when I don't have to look after my daughter. It's not much but I'll do about 15-20 miles on my fixed bike. Went up the Bay Bridge a couple of times which is fun.

Dumb question and mind you, I am not bike geek but my fucking ass always hurts after a ride. Is this cause I don't ride often or is it the saddle?

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1472 on: June 18, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
I've been riding about once a week for cardio when I don't have to look after my daughter. It's not much but I'll do about 15-20 miles on my fixed bike. Went up the Bay Bridge a couple of times which is fun.

Dumb question and mind you, I am not bike geek but my fucking ass always hurts after a ride. Is this cause I don't ride often or is it the saddle?

Combination of not being used to it, saddle, possible
fitting issues, padded shorts?
Looking for the right saddle fucking sucks. I sat in a bike I could never afford (gunnar with red) and it had a fizik saddle. Got a few off craigslist, some new. I take long breaks from riding bikes, kinda flip flop with skate stuff, and coming back I tend to get sore for the first few weeks. Just make sure it’s sit bone pain and not perineum pain (don’t try and fight through that). Padded shorts/bibs go a long fucking ways in helping. Your position on the bike might be causing you to use your saddle like a seat. One that gets me is I get tired and rest more on my ass then being on the balls of my feet (see saddle vs seat).
Riding fixed can also be a taint bat if you don’t have brakes and you are going too fast down hills, seat too high/low.
Dope you riding 

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #1473 on: June 18, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
Anyone have thoughts re: mechanical actuated vs hydraulic disc brakes? Landed on a Midnight Special and debating whether to build it up from the frameset with hydraulic brakes or just avoid the hassle and save a few bucks and go with the complete that comes with Spyres. My older bike had hydraulic brakes and while they stopped well I don’t remember it being a night and day thing compared to my rim brakes. More concerned with brake squeal, adjusting pads all the time, and other issues that people have had with mechanical discs. 

Another consideration would be that if I went custom build I’d go XD driver and 10-42 cassette vs 11-42 for a little extra on the high end, but I’ll likely be keeping my road bike so that’s not a huge factor. Also Shimano vs Sram, I’ve got no experience with Rival.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1474 on: June 18, 2020, 03:07:27 PM »
Anyone have thoughts re: mechanical actuated vs hydraulic disc brakes? Landed on a Midnight Special and debating whether to build it up from the frameset with hydraulic brakes or just avoid the hassle and save a few bucks and go with the complete that comes with Spyres. My older bike had hydraulic brakes and while they stopped well I don’t remember it being a night and day thing compared to my rim brakes. More concerned with brake squeal, adjusting pads all the time, and other issues that people have had with mechanical discs. 

Another consideration would be that if I went custom build I’d go XD driver and 10-42 cassette vs 11-42 for a little extra on the high end, but I’ll likely be keeping my road bike so that’s not a huge factor. Also Shimano vs Sram, I’ve got no experience with Rival.

Midnight special looks so fucking sick. Very partial to surlys. Those just look like a rad combo of fast, but not fragile.
Haven’t ever had brakes, haven’t had gears. I test rode a few bikes back when I had a little money, and because I wasn’t coming from any previous shifting experience sram felt a little more intuitive. Shimano May have felt ‘nicer’ but it was close enough.
Jesus I’m offering opinions based off of a test ride. Disregard.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1475 on: June 18, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »

For what it's worth, I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains the majority of the year, and I'd say that disc brakes have been a lifesaver. Having the peace of mind to stop virtually on command is huge, but I'd also say it depends on your climate and what kind of riding you like to do. I've been hopping on the gravel train a bit lately, and they are really effective for riding off road as well. If you're a roadie and are concerned about weight etc., they are going to be a bit heavier, but it's a small price to pay for peace of mind and/or a snapped collarbone if you slam into the back of a car or something like that.

As far as Sram vs Shimano goes - everyone I ride with rides Sram, and if you're politically inclined, Sram took action to step up in support of the BLM movement, whereas Shimano did not. Just food for thought. I'm also a big fan of their doubletap system, it's pretty intuitive and dependable in my experience.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1476 on: June 18, 2020, 03:27:52 PM »
Oops I forgot to mention - I have mechanical disc brakes, but if I had the money I would have gone hydraulic without question. That extra security (mentally and physically) goes a long way for me. Disc squeal is something that I experience in wet conditions, and isn't an issue for me personally. Saves me from having to ding the bell or constantly say "on your left" too.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1477 on: June 18, 2020, 03:36:32 PM »

i go out of my way to avoid hydraulic and get mechanical discs

a) they work fine
b) you can actually work on them when they don't work fine (which is never)
c) the issues you're trying to avoid are no different for hydraulic

for what it's worth i adjust my mech discs way less than i ever had to mess with any sort of rim brake. the pads last longer, you don't need to worry about how true your rim is, etc. most discs do get a bit screechy in the rain though.

SRAM is tight, and what I have on my bike, but I like both. I like the 1x11 setups for most riding but if you live in mountains maybe not ideal. The SRAM shifting is pretty slick with the single button, short tap vs long tap. Haven't used shimano for a while, not since several generations of ultegra ago, so I can't comment on their current stuff.

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1478 on: June 18, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
Hydraulic disc, even though I own cable, are so much smoother.   But disc either way.

Shimano over SRAM.  But if you're not used to either, it won't really matter.  Find the best deal.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1479 on: June 18, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »
Picked up a Marin Nicasio + a month or so back as it was about the only gravel bike in my size and price range not on back order. Joined the strava group as well and have been posting a few rides, luckily where i am we have great trails in and around the city which has been super motivating to get out on as quarantine eases up.

As for the bike it eats these sealed and gravel bike paths for breakfast, those DKLEIN videos that someone posted a while back have me keen to try it out on some more adventurous terrain though
2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1480 on: June 18, 2020, 05:30:47 PM »
Appreciate all the input. For sure set on discs/clearance for at least 700x45 or 650bx2.1 since this’ll be for fire roads and the 6 days of shitty weather we get every year.

Sram’s statement on BLM/racism in the bike industry is for sure enough motivation to go with them over Shimano, it’s also why I decided Surly over Kona. Was actually going to get a Diverge since Specialized made such a solid statement and took action so quickly but they’re sold out in my size up until you get into electronic shifting options.

Guess I’ll go with Surly’s stock build and use the money I save to get a fancy headset or a Paul stem or some other superfluous accessory to appease my vanity. 

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1481 on: June 19, 2020, 03:12:32 AM »
1.5 years ago I started cycling to work again and finally got rid of my metro card this spring. It's a 11km ride (about 7 miles), which is fine with my steal fixed gear bike with a bullhorn. Since corona hit the world I've been cycling a lot more, avoiding public transportation. So usually I do some extra miles to go skating, taking pictures or on simple bike rides - everything with a backpack/heavy camera bag/skateboard.  With or without backpack my back starts to hurt when doing more then 40km a day.
With the money I don't spend on public transport and the new situation I decided to get myself a better, more fitting bike. I need a light rack system to put on my camera gear and a board, maybe some pannier bags for a longer ride and some mud guards for the rainy season. the bike should be fast and not super heavy. heard that the shimano 105 is a very solid system (although these 1x11 rivals seem to be a good option for me). and it should look cool. My budget is around 2000 Euros.
I don't know if I should get a travel bike or a gravel.
That cinelli looks absolutely stunning, but I could also go with a surly like this http://thegentlejaunt.com/2019/07/23/surly-straggler-veronica/
The first two bikes I considered were an omnium mini max and a cinelli hobootleg interrail, but they seem a little bit limited and too slow.

Any ideas?

Enrico Pallazzo

« Reply #1482 on: June 19, 2020, 07:25:34 PM »
1.5 years ago I started cycling to work again and finally got rid of my metro card this spring. It's a 11km ride (about 7 miles), which is fine with my steal fixed gear bike with a bullhorn. Since corona hit the world I've been cycling a lot more, avoiding public transportation. So usually I do some extra miles to go skating, taking pictures or on simple bike rides - everything with a backpack/heavy camera bag/skateboard.  With or without backpack my back starts to hurt when doing more then 40km a day.
With the money I don't spend on public transport and the new situation I decided to get myself a better, more fitting bike. I need a light rack system to put on my camera gear and a board, maybe some pannier bags for a longer ride and some mud guards for the rainy season. the bike should be fast and not super heavy. heard that the shimano 105 is a very solid system (although these 1x11 rivals seem to be a good option for me). and it should look cool. My budget is around 2000 Euros.
That cinelli looks absolutely stunning, but I could also go with a surly like this http://thegentlejaunt.com/2019/07/23/surly-straggler-veronica/
The first two bikes I considered were an omnium mini max and a cinelli hobootleg interrail, but they seem a little bit limited and too slow.

Any ideas?

Love that Straggler build, that's one of my all time favorite colors for a bike. Gravel bikes will have a shorter reach and a higher stack, especially coming from a fixed gear. That'll put you in a more upright comfortable position. I'm super partial to drops, you get a good variety of hand positions and have the opportunity to get tucked down if you're feeling zippy. Aluminum bikes have a reputation for feeling harsh, but they're a nice stiff platform for biking fast and a high quality large volume set of tires will give you some solid squish. Plus generally way more affordable than carbon. I know there's a few good budget brands that are Europe specific - Rose, Ribble, and a couple others.

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1483 on: June 20, 2020, 10:34:20 AM »

Any ideas?
I'd get a nice middle range gravel bike; something like a Genesis Croix de Fer, Kona Sutra or Surly Cross Check. I have a Genesis Croix de Fer 20 that I use from anything from heavy gravel to daylong trips on the road to week+ long touring and it works in any situation. It's the kind of bike with plenty of attachments for mudguards, plenty of space for big tyres (I rock 38 on mine but you can go bigger), racks of any kind... biking with a backback on is horrible in my opinion. Steel is very confortable and solid, that would be my choice.  It's much more classy looking that aluminium frames with strange tube shapes; but to each his own of course. It won't be the lightest&fastest bike on the road but it's fast enough.

I have a Surly Steamroller that I use in the city that I really really love, it's the most satisfying ride I've ever had every time I step on it; so I would recommend anything Surly in a heartbeat. A bit hard to find in EU thoug; but your local bike shop should be able to hook you up.

Here's the Cdf in touring mode :

and the Steamroller :

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1484 on: June 20, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
I wanted to push myself to knock out a metric century. Just finished it. I’m fucking dusted.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1485 on: June 20, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »
any opinions on bombtrack bikes?

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1486 on: June 20, 2020, 07:00:25 PM »
I can't seem to post photos on here but I just picked up a Larry vs Harry Bullitt cargo bike for work.  Anyone else here a courier? I work in Denver on my bike.  I have a Voodoo Wazoo steel 700c Canti cross bike with a wound up on it with my Cetma, an old Panasonic NJS track bike and now my cargo to haul deliveries/dog around town.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1487 on: June 21, 2020, 12:21:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Any ideas?
[close]
I'd get a nice middle range gravel bike; something like a Genesis Croix de Fer, Kona Sutra or Surly Cross Check. I have a Genesis Croix de Fer 20 that I use from anything from heavy gravel to daylong trips on the road to week+ long touring and it works in any situation. It's the kind of bike with plenty of attachments for mudguards, plenty of space for big tyres (I rock 38 on mine but you can go bigger), racks of any kind... biking with a backback on is horrible in my opinion. Steel is very confortable and solid, that would be my choice.  It's much more classy looking that aluminium frames with strange tube shapes; but to each his own of course. It won't be the lightest&fastest bike on the road but it's fast enough.

I have a Surly Steamroller that I use in the city that I really really love, it's the most satisfying ride I've ever had every time I step on it; so I would recommend anything Surly in a heartbeat. A bit hard to find in EU thoug; but your local bike shop should be able to hook you up.

Here's the Cdf in touring mode :

and the Steamroller :

Sweet, this is the direction I’m going for. Guess I’ll head over to the local bike shop and see what they tell me. I know that they have a lot of surly, brother and all city frames and don’t sell completes out of the package. Like a good skate shop.
My fixed gear looks like this
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 12:26:59 AM by Matze »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1488 on: June 21, 2020, 12:57:26 AM »
matze, since you're a fellow hamburger(lol), what bike shop do you go to? considering shops to build a bike from the ground up, but i've only been familiar with suicycle so far. there's a "cool" looking bike shop near me called tool but i heard sketchy shit about these dudes/know a dude who worked there who has a massive cocaine problem and annoys the fuck out of me everytime i meet him in the street, so i haven't gone there yet. they also sell longboards, ha.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1489 on: June 21, 2020, 01:25:43 AM »
Biglebksi at Fruchtallee is the shop that has all the surly stuff. They don’t seem like they do coke which could be a minus, haha. I went there a couple of times with my (suicycle) bike and they helped me out with small parts and repairs. Seems like they don’t bother if you’re not a nerd.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1490 on: June 21, 2020, 01:41:09 AM »
thanks a lot, i have heard good things about that shop as well.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1523
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1491 on: June 21, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
3 months of working from home and not commuting by bike has definitely left a huge void in my physical fitness. And I am now in a forced 3 month hiatus from skateboarding, because my ankles cannot get injured since I am the only once that can carry my dog down stairs (she had a knee surgery). Finally commuted to work this week and to top if off I did a 33 km trip with a 200 vertical meters climb today and I am fucking out of shape for sure (I have a cheap hybrid bicycle and no bibs as of yet - the seat is actually quite nice).

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #1492 on: June 22, 2020, 09:54:56 AM »
Tried to hop on the bike after my crazy work week and I was experiencing real bad gear skipping? And the chain just kept off centering and creating friction so I guess I’ll be taking it in to the shop on my next day off. Kind of a bummer, but it’s been hot as hell here lately and it’s been making me not want to do much anyways.

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1493 on: June 22, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »
there are two small screws on the rear of the derailleur: these adjust the inner and outer limits of how far the derailleur can move. if you shift all the way to the biggest or smallest cog you should be able to observe them do their magic as you turn them, and you can adjust them so that the derailleur limits line up with those two cogs. second is cable tension: if, when you're shifting, the chain is slow/hesitant to go to a larger gear, that means you lack cable tension and you need to adjust one of the barrel adjusters (either on the derailler, or sometimes incorporated into the shifter or the frame) by LOOSENING it. if, when you're shifting, the chain is slow/hesitant to go to a smaller gear, that means your cable is too tight -- do the opposite -- tighten any barrel adjusters for that cable. best to go in small increments (1/2 turns or so). if none of that works you might need new cable and/or cable housing, and/or your derailleur hanger is bent... etc. also everything above applies to the rear derailleur. the front works in similar fashion but is more of a pain to adjust (the same principles apply).

if your chain is actually slipping over the teeth, that's a different issue, and means your drivetrain components are worn out. if your chainring (cogs attached to the crank) teeth are "sharp" or pointy rather than squared off, that would be an indication of a severely worn drivetrain where the chain could start slipping. then you need to start replacing parts including the chain, chainrings, rear cassette, and so forth.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:20:48 AM by ungzilla »

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1494 on: June 22, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
Dropped off my bike for a MUCH needed tune up. Was told it might be as long as 10-days since the shop is swamped with new bike build orders.

Guess it's time for me to find some empty lots and just skate some curbs.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1495 on: June 22, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »
I bought this surly steamroller on craigslist for $450 like 6 years ago and never really got to ride it due to a string of cervical injuries. I threw some new tires on this weekend and it feels great. I figure I'll jam on this exclusively til august, when I go out for some bike camping in the mountains.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1496 on: June 22, 2020, 09:42:55 PM »
sorry for teh double post, but after jamming 40mi fixed on country roads today, I'm thinking about going clipless. I've always had cages or straps because i rode primarily in the city and didn't want to deal with bike shoes. 

any of y'all ride clipless on your fixie?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1497 on: June 22, 2020, 10:18:30 PM »

Apparently this color Spacehorse is on sale, and I need a drool cup.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1498 on: June 23, 2020, 01:37:16 AM »
sorry for teh double post, but after jamming 40mi fixed on country roads today, I'm thinking about going clipless. I've always had cages or straps because i rode primarily in the city and didn't want to deal with bike shoes. 

any of y'all ride clipless on your fixie?
I have flats on my steamroller (big ones though). SPD is a nice alterative to clipless, you can even get pretty good looking shoes that allow you to walk when not on the bike. There are also pedals with one flat side and one SPD side. That's what I have on my touring bike.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1499 on: June 23, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »
Did a mixed terrain 40 miler on my Straggler yesterday. 10 Paved up, 10 unpaved up to 6000', and 20 bomb down. No cars. Sun burn and thin air.