Author Topic: Encounters with Pro Skaters  (Read 147867 times)

Shazamsung

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Encounters with Pro Skaters
« Reply #690 on: July 13, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
I met Geoff Rowley once at a Volcom demo. Busenitz, Sheckler, and Caswell were there. I wanted to get Rowley to sign something, but I was nervous, so my buddy Will went and did it. He actually borrowed Rowley's marker and wrote "WILL" on the back. About an hour later, I went out to get some pizza while some kids were skating the nearby six stair and Rowley walked right beside me. We chatted about the tour and shit. Really nice guy, but I could barely understand him through his Liverpudlian accent. I showed him my phone and he crossed out the W and put a K, making it "KILL Geoff Rowley"

Later, Caswell asked me for one of my sodas and we chatted about San Jose skating.

Overall, pretty cool day. My buddy also challenged Busenitz to a race and Sheckler to a game of SKATE. Both turned him down.

Also, met Kenny Anderson at a bar in NYC. We chatted about Long Island (where I lived) and he wished me a good night when I left. Really nice guy.  I try to not chat with pros when I see them in fear of fanning out too much and being a douche. A simple nod will do.

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #691 on: July 13, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »
Met Chima Ferguson outside a bar in Sydney. He was genuinely a nice dude.

Met Dustin Dollin at St Jeromes back when it was still a thing. I went up to him and he didn't give a fuck about me.

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #692 on: July 17, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
in vermont i got to smoke up an el i rolld with luan, jerry hsu, cory kenn and gravette (weird quaduo i know)...all of them were so funny and awkward.. all of them were super humble potheads that reminded me of all my friends back home. luan was so stoned and said he didnt blaze too much and went out and switch 540ed a small 3 set at the park...i was laughing harder than i have in awhile

also gotten drunk with justin brock and dan murphy a lot cuz im from nc...recently murphy came out to a show w me and some friends and got cocky with the wrong dudes and got knockd the fuck out n we hada get him to the emergency room it was so bad
try to remember, forget

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #693 on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:14 AM »
Jerry Hsu doesn't smoke weed

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #694 on: July 18, 2014, 05:38:40 AM »
ha  i was smoking weed with todd jordan and some other zoo york person and offered some to reda and he was MIFFED and wouldnt acknowledge me and my buddies.  So then  he was stuck there while we smoked weed and laughed it up ha ha  (hope hes mellowed out now)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:40:24 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #695 on: July 18, 2014, 06:12:43 AM »
You've clearly never seen the video of him coughing and tearing up after ripping a bong in a parking lot with a bunch of Canadian kids after a demo.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #696 on: July 18, 2014, 06:39:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You've clearly never seen the video of him coughing and tearing up after ripping a bong in a parking lot with a bunch of Canadian kids after a demo.
That was a popper, bro.  I'm talking about real dank.  The shit that'll put hair on your lungs.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #697 on: July 18, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
Kenny Anderson mean mugged me at SXSW on year, then the next year at SXSW we ran into him and hella pros at a bar and bro'd down. Him and Jeron Wilson are chill dudes. Jeron was trying to bang an ugly chick though.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Bagger Vance

• Rep: -10
  • Think I give a fuck bout sparkles?
« Reply #698 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »
About a year ago I was with my girlfriend and a couple of her friends walking to some bar in LES. Al Davis and Brian Delatorre were walking the opposite way on the sidewalk and when we passed Al Davis pump faked and barked in one the girls faces. Then they both skated away giggling.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #699 on: July 18, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
About a year ago I was with my girlfriend and a couple of her friends walking to some bar in LES. Al Davis and Brian Delatorre were walking the opposite way on the sidewalk and when we passed Al Davis pump faked and barked in one the girls faces. Then they both skated away giggling.

al davis is well on his way to being a slap favorite.

Greg Road

« Reply #700 on: July 18, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
I partied with Grant Patterson a long time ago. Gave him some drinks, told him he was awesome - cool kid. His clothes are so fucking big.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #701 on: July 18, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »
No, but seriously, who shit in the Gatorade?

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #702 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »
Kenny Anderson mean mugged me at SXSW on year, then the next year at SXSW we ran into him and hella pros at a bar and bro'd down. Him and Jeron Wilson are chill dudes. Jeron was trying to bang an ugly chick though.
Probably a fat white chick, classic Jeron.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #703 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
Ran into Grant Taylor the other day at the grocery store when I was buying flowers and cat food. Great timing.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #704 on: July 18, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jeron Wilson lost his virginity to Soleil Moon-Frye, pre-breast reduction. He's a hero.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #705 on: July 18, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Was gonna mention this in the "religious" thread but didn't want it to get lost in that bullshit.

Years ago (like maybe 20), my little brother and I were at an In and Out Burger in San Jose.  While we were there, we spotted Salman Agah, sitting with his girlfriend and a friend. 

While we were sitting there, he walked toward us, came up and said "Hey you guys skate?".  We said yes, so he said "hold on I'll be right back".  He came back about 2 minutes later with arms full of stuff; stickers, Este t-shirts, invitations to his wedding (which I still have).. He shook our hands, introduced himself to our parents and shook their hands, told us "keep skating" and left.

Seriously the nicest person on the face of the earth, and he will always be a personal favorite for that reason alone (and his skating, of course). 

Another funny story, about 7 or 8 years ago I was at a show in downtown Oakland.  At some point Julien Stranger, T MO and some other guys walk in, didn't pay the door price, get in this big commotion with the door guy, and the bartender came running over and threw them all out; all in about 30 seconds.  I told my friend "holy shit that dude was my skate idol!".. he looked at me like I was nuts.

needlejuice

• Rep: -101
« Reply #706 on: July 18, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
That was a popper, bro.  I'm talking about real dank.  The shit that'll put hair on your lungs.

a popper is a small chemical bottle most gay bears/biker dudes inhale out of a small glass bottle... but jerrys story the kids were calling a popper a bowl mixed w tabaccy and weed. we call em spinners here in nc, i fuckin hate them, but i dont smoke ciggs. this was all 5 or 6 years ago when cory and gravette were coming up
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:02:42 PM by needlejuice »
try to remember, forget

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #707 on: July 18, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
That was a popper, bro.  I'm talking about real dank.  The shit that'll put hair on your lungs.
[close]

a popper is a small chemical bottle most gay bears/biker dudes inhale out of a small glass bottle... but jerrys story the kids were calling a popper a bowl mixed w tabaccy and weed. we call em spinners here in nc, i fuckin hate them, but i dont smoke ciggs. this was all 5 or 6 years ago when cory and gravette were coming up

I've heard them called Mole bowls, but fuck ever hitting one. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

shark tits

« Reply #708 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Jeron Wilson lost his virginity to Soleil Moon-Frye, pre-breast reduction. He's a hero.
when she was punky brewster? that was my dream for a while.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #709 on: July 18, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

what?????

Gaius Julius NZA

• Rep: 0
« Reply #710 on: July 18, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »
Muska's sister came to my wedding. Dated a friend of mine. She was pretty cool.

Steve

• Rep: -2
« Reply #711 on: July 18, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »
Sort of a pro story, plus extra.

A few years back a friend who owns a local shop was nice enough to take me along to Deluxe, being so close he'd sometimes go down and pick up an order in person, enjoy the city, skate a bit, and make a day of it.

Anyways, after crossing the holy threshold and getting into the DLXSF offices I was in full on fan out mode. Looking at stuff on the walls like it was the Mona Lisa, I was trying to not talk and stare because I knew it would give me away. Pretty much playing it like when Luke Skywalker and Han Solo put on stormtrooper armor and walked around inside the death star.

Our sales rep was busy so he told us to just look around for a moment. I wandered over to a section that had a board rack with a bunch of blanks in all different shapes. As I'm standing there looking at them a guy turns from his cubicle and says, "they're not made of glass, you can pick them up." So as I'm looking at these blank shapes we get into a conversation about shapes I mention that I bought a board years ago that I loved and I've never seen again, and describe the graphic, and he goes, "oh, the insectoid! Or insectica." and pulls the shape off the shelf for me, I talk with him for a moment more and tell him if he can get that shape made again I'll buy ten.

Anyways, we go back into the warehouse, racks of product, people doing their job, and the rep shows us around to the stuff he likes, and listens to what we're looking for and makes some suggestions. Then, at the door nearest the offices there is a knock. I make a joke about people in the offices being locked out of the warehouse or if I accidentally locked it behind me. He says no, its for security or whatever, go open it, so I do, and on the other side of the door is Julien Stranger. I'm sure I must have made the Wayne's World extreme close up face, Waaaaahaaaaaa!!! He wanders off and grabs a few things as I just stand there with a grin on my face, can't even form a thought to say hi.

Afterwords we all go to lunch and I ask the rep jokingly what it takes to get a job at Deluxe, if they have any enemies they need killed. To which he replies, "we have lots of enemies, but have people already working on it."

I also talked to Jim Thiebaud on a forum once and he sent me some parkburners, just because he's a rad guy.

I guess to sum it up, I'm DLXSF for life, their whole operation top to bottom is just the raddest people. That's a day I'll remember forever.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #712 on: July 19, 2014, 01:03:03 AM »
^^^was your rep john russel?
i'm asking because i think that andy+jon thing is making fun of their bromance. the way i understand things working at deluxe is the warehouse guys only get access to the warehouse, if you work in ermico you can only go in there, and the office guys stay in the office. they're worried about people taking too much product, and the potential for someone to sneak into ermico and steal molds or something

chad fernandez drunk dialed me a few years ago from the hallelujah premiere. that was a weird one
fuck you bama

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #713 on: February 08, 2023, 01:47:25 PM »
Caught Zion pulled off to the side of the road before a turn rolling a joint, complete with red bull hat 🤪

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #714 on: February 08, 2023, 02:26:05 PM »
One time I was at the grocery store and I noticed that Peanut Brown was standing in line in front of me waiting to buy a pineapple. The checker rang up his fruit and then Peanut said there's no way that pineapple costs that much and demanded that the checker walk to the back of the store to visually check it. He had on a belt. When the checker came back he said he had made sure and that the fruit had been rung up correctly, but then Peanut said he had meant to get an onion and so then he made everybody wait while he slowly walked to the fruit stand for an onion. Finally he got rung up and then he looked at me and winked.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #715 on: February 08, 2023, 02:27:49 PM »
I saw McCrank at Whole Foods the other day. It was weird, I've seen him at the Courts a few times and it is usually, "Cool, McCrank seems nice and dude rips," but seeing at Whole Foods it was like, "Holy shit, there is McCrank at my Whole Foods!" and it took a bit of effort not to fan out on him.  ;D

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Rep: -405
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #716 on: February 08, 2023, 02:32:08 PM »
I met that new Baker/Supreme kid Sully in Brooklyn a few months ago. I really expected him to be an ass based on some of the fits he wears and being on those teams, but he was super nice.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #717 on: February 09, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »
Kind of a long read but here goes:

Back in 00', when I was in 7th grade, the school district that my junior high was a part of implemented an after school skateboarding program called "Skate Club" that was held every Tuesday and Thursday from 3 PM to 5:30. We had some basic obstacles (quarterpipe, flat bar, medium box, launch ramp, etc.) that would we help setup. Every once in a while, a sponsored skater would show up and skate with us. I remember meeting Rodrigo TX, Lance Mountain, Jani Laitiala, and Ray Barbee within the first year. 

In early 01', I was skating home from school on a day that Skate Club wasn't being held and this black Honda CRV drives passes me and promptly hits the brakes and flips a U-turn. I'm pretty nervous at this point because I'm half expecting it to be someone who is going to fuck with me in some way (this was during a time where it wasn't unusual for random people to fuck with skateboarders). But the car pulls up next to me and rolls the window down and when I look inside, its Richard Mulder. He proceeds to tell me that he got lost trying to find his way to another junior high in the area for a Skate Club appearance and asked if I knew where it was. I let him know that I did and I tried giving him directions. He stops me as I'm giving him the directions and asks if I wanted to just roll with him. Still in shock, I agree and hop into the car.

As we're driving to the school, he asks me if I knew who he was and I said "Yeah, I actually have one of your photos on my binder right now" and showed him my binder that had this photo on it:

He was hyped on it and we just talked skateboarding on the drive there. We get to the school and all of the kids were just shocked that I showed up with him. The session itself was awesome. He was absolutely killing the box. It was the first I saw someone do a fakie 5-0 fakie flip in person and my mind was blown. I remember his flatground game was on point. Popping everything over knee high. He even showed me how to properly pop my nollies and keep them level. Prior to that I would pop and then land on my back truck first. Because of the tips he gave me on the nollies, I actually learned how to pop out of crooks that day without having to just fall off the end of the ledge. Once the session was over, he drove me to my house and hooked me up with a board (a 7.75 funny enough), a stack of stickers, and a Stussy shirt.

All and all it was cool experience. Ran into him years later in Long Beach and he totally remembered that day. Super nice and humble guy.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 134
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #718 on: February 09, 2023, 04:00:07 PM »
Had several interesting encounters with Jim Greco back in the day—between Baker 2G and 3—and he was always friendly but also not all there and on his own trip. On the last run in was outside a music venue in Pomona, CA and he gave me a used deck from his trunk, totally unprompted/unsolicited. I wish I still had it (the Dead or Alive Johnny Thunders knock off), lost it on a move.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

work_lurker

• Rep: 70
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #719 on: February 09, 2023, 04:30:12 PM »
I met Jimmy Wilkins at a friends house a few years ago skating the backyard ramp. Jimmy rolled up with a bunch of Brazilians coincidentally, and was really quiet for probably the first hour. Everyone was having a good time getting along well. I took a break and started talking to the quiet dude and asked him what part of Brazil he was from, and Jimmy proceeds to tell me "I'm from Ohio." Oh.. and then one of the Brazilian dudes stepped off on a pivot fakie or something, and got the WORST sharkbite I have ever seen. Like his Achilles tendon look fully severed. Jimmy took him to the hospital like a good friend would. Maybe about a year ago I bumped into Jimmy at a skatepark, and he fully semi-remembered me. I think he recognized my face, but wasn't sure where we had met. He was really nice, acting like we had been great friends for years. I didn't have the heart to tell him I thought he was Brazilian before, so I left it to his imagination to wonder where we had met and who I really was.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.