modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
Re: Jobs
« Reply #1050 on: January 18, 2023, 02:55:41 PM »
Concrete dude here.
Mostly residential stuff, it’s ok.
Working with a small crew of skaters and rockers, all friends long before work, and boss man is owner of a local skateshop and former pro and a prolific character ha.

Used to build skateparks and travel full time for some years, eased back on that for now , still happy to pick a few up here and there when im tired of being home which im grateful for.

Doing some side job welding and fabricating , making cool shit in my basement workshop

Sounds fun. What's the long term plan? Have your own concrete business one day?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

BackToTheDIY

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1051 on: January 19, 2023, 12:44:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Concrete dude here.
Working with a small crew of skaters and rockers, all friends long before work, and boss man is owner of a local skateshop and former pro and a prolific character ha.

Used to build skateparks and travel full time for some years, eased back on that for now , still happy to pick a few up here and there when im tired of being home which im grateful for.

Doing some side job welding and fabricating , making cool shit in my basement workshop
[close]

Long term is exactly what you said.
I’m taking more jobs on my own now , and going to be kicking that up come spring time .
I would like to be making more back yard kinda art scapes, utilizing radial edging on patios and integrated cantilever benches and cool fire pits .
And talk people into adding sick QPs to their patios ha.
Also , sick ass DR350 in your avatar pic .
Fave bike of all time

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1052 on: January 19, 2023, 06:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Concrete dude here.

[close]

[close]
I’m taking more jobs on my own now , and going to be kicking that up come spring time .
I would like to be making more back yard kinda art scapes, utilizing radial edging on patios and integrated cantilever benches and cool fire pits .
Fave bike of all time

Sick! My fave as well. I really need to get mine out more often though and do some trips.

I like your long term plan. I think 'creative' concrete is a really cool field to get into and obviously much more interesting than just pouring slabs and footings all day. There's a big market for it too.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #1053 on: January 31, 2023, 01:27:42 PM »
I’ll start with admitting I’m feeling especially bitter today.

But lately I’ve been so fed up with this idea that people should enjoy their jobs on some kind of personal level. It all just feels like a ploy intended to trick people into working more. My supervisor pretends to “care” about my personal well being only because it can affect my job performance. I’m just so sick of this phony ass notion that my job is more than a job and it makes me want to try less. Fuck all this team building, corporate DEI bullshit, it’s all just part of a false narrative intended to trick people into investing more in their jobs.

My supervisor recently referenced that JFK quote “ask not what your country can do for you, etc” but with my company and that really annoyed me. Man, this is a job and to pretend like they deserve my loyalty is actually fucked
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:44:32 PM by Candied cigarettes »

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #1054 on: February 01, 2023, 02:23:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Concrete dude here.

[close]

[close]
Fave bike of all time
[close]

Sick! My fave as well. I really need to get mine out more often though and do some trips.

I like your long term plan. I think 'creative' concrete is a really cool field to get into and obviously much more interesting than just pouring slabs and footings all day. There's a big market for it too.

Not a concreter but one time was doing a small block of units and the penthouse kitchen bench was like a L on its side and it was just formed concrete…that is the coolest bench I’ve ever seen. They just tied it into the slab with rio (rebar) and I guess all the form work was pretty spot on but yeah, that creative concrete stuff is fire. Seen designer houses where the walls are just precast tilt up slabs, no gyprock (drywall) to be seen

I like concrete
listen to cosmic psychos

manysnakes

« Reply #1055 on: February 01, 2023, 05:38:53 AM »

But lately I’ve been so fed up with this idea that people should enjoy their jobs on some kind of personal level. It all just feels like a ploy intended to trick people into working more. My supervisor pretends to “care” about my personal well being only because it can affect my job performance. I’m just so sick of this phony ass notion that my job is more than a job and it makes me want to try less. Fuck all this team building, corporate DEI bullshit, it’s all just part of a false narrative intended to trick people into investing more in their jobs.

My supervisor recently referenced that JFK quote “ask not what your country can do for you, etc” but with my company and that really annoyed me. Man, this is a job and to pretend like they deserve my loyalty is actually fucked

May I introduce you to the immortal science of Marxist-Leninism?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #1056 on: February 01, 2023, 10:26:40 AM »

I think it's okay to enjoy what you do for a living and not let it be your personality.

And I think your biggest hurdle is toxic management.

At my old job, I hated it. Mostly because of the toxic management/environment with a sweatshop/hustle mentality masked with toxic positivity. I only put up with the place as it was steady during lockdown and I was making a decent check. But, like I said, I hate every ounce of that job.

After things got better after lockdown, I swapped jobs as fast as I could. Same kind of work (advertising), just new company and WAY better pay and WAY better people. The people made me enjoy my work more, they made work enjoyable, and they believed in a work/life balance. My manager even got on my case about not taking enough time off and helped clear some time off from projects in order for me to take 10 work days off.

Now, I'm freelancing. Again, same kind of work, but I'm like a hired hand — short term contracts. Now I can still do fun work, just shot a couple of commercials, then after, I'm taking a month off to enjoy time off and with wife and my new baby before I jump back into a new gig.

So now, I enjoy my work and my job, but I'm disconnected it from it and it's not completely who I am.

Chickenparmesan

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1057 on: May 01, 2023, 03:58:07 AM »
Expand Quote
halfway through my master's in Cyber Security.

Where my CS heads at?
I'm interested in working with AI down the road.
[close]

I stumbled ass-first into cybersecurity and I couldn't be happier or feel more lucky. Demand in the field is growing four-times faster than average employment growth, and outpacing most other tech fields. In addition to that, it is a field which is not easily outsourced to Indian subcontractors. If you're a slightly capable keyboard warrior and you've been considering it, now is the time to make the move. I can definitively say it's been the best thing to happen to be career-wise in my life and I will ride this train until I'm wealthy enough to retire.

Any advice for starting from the very beginning? I can work my way around on a computer pretty good but I know nothing about cybersecurity. Im currently employed and have been at the same locally owned business for 10 years. I’ll spare the details but I need a change of pace in life, 27 y/o here. I supposed I’d have to find time for classes? Feel free to message me with any pointers

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1058 on: May 01, 2023, 01:55:03 PM »
I feel like I can't mention my job around other skaters because it is several levels of not cool/resentful

manysnakes

« Reply #1059 on: May 01, 2023, 01:56:14 PM »
I feel like I can't mention my job around other skaters because it is several levels of not cool/resentful

President of Skate Stoppers, Inc.?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1060 on: May 01, 2023, 02:04:24 PM »
Hah guess it's not that bad, but my current employer is a large tech company (not any of the really shitty ones in the Bay) and I mostly work on statistics and machine learning. Resentful isn't the right word, but there's like an awkward silence. Probably because it's rather boring, but also because a lot of larger tech companies are really shitty so there's a rightful perception that chances are whatever one I work for sucks too. And I really don't blame anyone for holding that view.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 05:49:57 PM by LebowskisRug »

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1061 on: May 01, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »
I scoop elephant shit for a circus - they dont pay me much but they give me a cage and peanuts
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1062 on: May 11, 2023, 06:46:09 AM »
Any HR or managerial types in here have advice for dealing with shitty coworkers and bosses who blindly defend and enable them, while refusing to acknowledge or validate your reasonable concerns? 

I’m not going to quit over it, because I really do like my job and the freedom it gives me.  But my co-worker who I sometimes have to work with is a fucking bum who works harder at getting out of work than he does at doing it.  He overcomplicates simple things, and undercomplicates important things.  He’s slow as shit and also full of it. 

I rarely bring it up to my boss, except when his laziness and/or incompetence is just plain outrageous and makes me look bad.  I know he complains about me to the boss too, ie: I don’t want to help him with one-man tasks, I “rush” too much, etc etc.. so my boss probably thinks we’re both exaggerating and bad at teamwork.. but this guy actually just sucks at his job and it infuriates me that I’m trying to do well and my boss won’t hear it.

caked

• Rep: -32
« Reply #1063 on: May 11, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »
Any HR or managerial types in here have advice for dealing with shitty coworkers and bosses who blindly defend and enable them, while refusing to acknowledge or validate your reasonable concerns? 

I’m not going to quit over it, because I really do like my job and the freedom it gives me.  But my co-worker who I sometimes have to work with is a fucking bum who works harder at getting out of work than he does at doing it.  He overcomplicates simple things, and undercomplicates important things.  He’s slow as shit and also full of it. 

I rarely bring it up to my boss, except when his laziness and/or incompetence is just plain outrageous and makes me look bad.  I know he complains about me to the boss too, ie: I don’t want to help him with one-man tasks, I “rush” too much, etc etc.. so my boss probably thinks we’re both exaggerating and bad at teamwork.. but this guy actually just sucks at his job and it infuriates me that I’m trying to do well and my boss won’t hear it.

I second this...I'm dealing with a similar problem at work. My coworker is totally incompetent, doesn't commit my teachings to memory, can barely read, doesn't have the correct skillset for this work, is just a wet blanket, etc etc. Having a meeting with my boss about it this afternoon for the third time. I just want him to be fired at this point.

turdtastic

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1064 on: May 11, 2023, 02:57:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I second this...I'm dealing with a similar problem at work. My coworker is totally incompetent, doesn't commit my teachings to memory, can barely read, doesn't have the correct skillset for this work, is just a wet blanket, etc etc. Having a meeting with my boss about it this afternoon for the third time. I just want him to be fired at this point.
Document the incidents with dates in a professional way that imparts no emotion or bias; just the facts.
It can be a difficult task, but that’s the only way to cover your ass and nail theirs to the wall if you choose to pursue any sort of grievances.

Sincerity

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1065 on: May 11, 2023, 09:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Document the incidents with dates in a professional way that imparts no emotion or bias; just the facts.
It can be a difficult task, but that’s the only way to cover your ass and nail theirs to the wall if you choose to pursue any sort of grievances.

Incompetent and/or lazy coworkers is a complex problem. Based on my 25+ years spent working white-collar jobs for large corporations, I have never seen incompetence or laziness rise to a fire-able offense. That's because they are ultimately subjective determinations. You perceive one thing; your coworker argues differently; your manager see both sides, and nothing changes. However, if you are being discriminated against at work, it's no longer subjective because there are company policies and government laws that define what discrimination is, and that's what HR fears the most because HR's function is to protect the company from liability. If you are not a manager, HR is not your ally unless you are being discriminated against , and working with incompetent and/or lazy coworkers is not discrimination. HR isn't going to care that your coworkers are incompetent, especially if your managers don't seem to care.

Both of your managers are unwilling to take action, so you might consider if it's possible to be successful working around the coworkers. If you have unavoidable dependencies on them, pick the one or two things they do that are the biggest blockers for your success and have a direct conversation with them about how their behaviors are jamming you up and what you specifically need them to do differently, and then give them the chance to change their behavior. If they don't, seek a different role and manager at your company, or seek out a new job somewhere else. You'll be better off when you find a role on a team of people with more complementary approaches.

As other people have noted here, an additional benefit to finding a new job is it is often the best path to increasing your benefits and salary.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #1066 on: May 11, 2023, 09:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Incompetent and/or lazy coworkers is a complex problem. Based on my 25+ years spent working white-collar jobs for large corporations, I have never seen incompetence or laziness rise to a fire-able offense. That's because they are ultimately subjective determinations. You perceive one thing; your coworker argues differently; your manager see both sides, and nothing changes. However, if you are being discriminated against at work, it's no longer subjective because there are company policies and government laws that define what discrimination is, and that's what HR fears the most because HR's function is to protect the company from liability. If you are not a manager, HR is not your ally unless you are being discriminated against , and working with incompetent and/or lazy coworkers is not discrimination. HR isn't going to care that your coworkers are incompetent, especially if your managers don't seem to care.

Both of your managers are unwilling to take action, so you might consider if it's possible to be successful working around the coworkers. If you have unavoidable dependencies on them, pick the one or two things they do that are the biggest blockers for your success and have a direct conversation with them about how their behaviors are jamming you up and what you specifically need them to do differently, and then give them the chance to change their behavior. If they don't, seek a different role and manager at your company, or seek out a new job somewhere else. You'll be better off when you find a role on a team of people with more complementary approaches.

As other people have noted here, an additional benefit to finding a new job is it is often the best path to increasing your benefits and salary.

I couldn’t have said it better. It is best to keep your head down. All things will pass. I have never said a bad thing to my manager about a co-worker even when I suspected said coworker was bad mouthing me. It is important to rise above the fray. You know what happens when you get in the mud with a pig…

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #1067 on: May 11, 2023, 11:54:31 PM »
I scoop elephant shit for a circus - they dont pay me much but they give me a cage and peanuts

LOL.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #1068 on: May 12, 2023, 02:10:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I couldn’t have said it better. It is best to keep your head down. All things will pass. I have never said a bad thing to my manager about a co-worker even when I suspected said coworker was bad mouthing me. It is important to rise above the fray. You know what happens when you get in the mud with a pig…

I agree with this sentiment. Stir the pot, and you just might get splashed.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1069 on: May 12, 2023, 04:05:26 AM »
Okay damn.  Thank you guys so much, Sincerity especially, for banging me over the head with some common sense.  I may have gotten a little heated in my last exchange with my boss about it and I’ve been wanting to clear the air. 

So I just sent him an incredibly professional and diplomatic (I promise) email about how I understand his position, I want nothing but the best for my co-worker, the company, and myself, and how after the past few years of trying to function as a pair and help each other grow, I’ve accepted we just work best apart, and asked him to please delegate us accordingly whenever possible.

Maybe a little extra for a couple of skilled construction labourers, but I’ve always tried not to be defined by the industry and characters I’m surrounded by.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1070 on: May 12, 2023, 04:34:11 AM »
Okay damn.  Thank you guys so much, Sincerity especially, for banging me over the head with some common sense.  I may have gotten a little heated in my last exchange with my boss about it and I’ve been wanting to clear the air. 

So I just sent him an incredibly professional and diplomatic (I promise) email about how I understand his position, I want nothing but the best for my co-worker, the company, and myself, and how after the past few years of trying to function as a pair and help each other grow, I’ve accepted we just work best apart, and asked him to please delegate us accordingly whenever possible.

Maybe a little extra for a couple of skilled construction labourers, but I’ve always tried not to be defined by the industry and characters I’m surrounded by.

What is your job? We were both speaking from an office dweller’s perspective where you rarely work with coworkers directly. I believe if you are in a manual labor field where you really rely on your coworkers you may be able to be more vocal.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1071 on: May 12, 2023, 05:07:22 AM »
We install random stuff in commercial/institutional buildings.  90% of the time what we’re doing can be accomplished by one person, with the exception of the occasional big/heavy project.  My coworker loves to over-exaggerate how difficult things are to do alone.  He also has unresolved abandonment issues and from what I can tell, no friends that he sees or keeps in touch with.  Which I think my boss may be aware of, hence pairing us up more than necessary.  He did hit me back with a quick “we’ll try to work on an environment everyone can excel in”. 

I’m not trying to be an armchair psychologist, but that’s how I perceive this complex situation.  We’ve worked together on and off for years, neither of us is going to bend to appease the other, and he also worships Rogan so I want to keep my distance as much as possible for my own sanity’s sake, not just because I work better alone.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1072 on: May 12, 2023, 07:04:26 AM »
We install random stuff in commercial/institutional buildings.  90% of the time what we’re doing can be accomplished by one person, with the exception of the occasional big/heavy project.  My coworker loves to over-exaggerate how difficult things are to do alone.  He also has unresolved abandonment issues and from what I can tell, no friends that he sees or keeps in touch with.  Which I think my boss may be aware of, hence pairing us up more than necessary.  He did hit me back with a quick “we’ll try to work on an environment everyone can excel in”. 

I’m not trying to be an armchair psychologist, but that’s how I perceive this complex situation.  We’ve worked together on and off for years, neither of us is going to bend to appease the other, and he also worships Rogan so I want to keep my distance as much as possible for my own sanity’s sake, not just because I work better alone.

Never having a job with a crew I don’t have advice and the advice given by sincerity doesn’t seem to apply directly to you either. If you are a better worker then I am sure your employer knows. If this other person is effecting deadlines then I think you just need to review what work you performed and not take any attitude from your employer personal. I’m sure someone here has experience with your problem so hopefully you will receive specific advice. Have a good day.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #1073 on: May 12, 2023, 08:45:17 AM »
I work in the official job of washed up skaters and musicians...

Screen printing.

I like it. I have a mellow staff of reliable people who show up on time and know what to do, so I don't have to babysit or go all drill sergeant all day. I get to be somewhat creative, get evenings and weekends off, don't have to deal with customers (the sales staff deals with that), yeah man, I can't complain.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #1074 on: May 12, 2023, 08:57:54 AM »
just started a gig and it’s been pretty mellow so far. everyone’s been nice so far except this one old fart. he’s been judging my personality and work ethic based on how i look along with my age. mainly my nose ring and a double helix i got.

when i get older i promise to not be an old bitter judgmental piece of shit.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #1075 on: May 12, 2023, 09:01:33 AM »

Could you elaborate upon this part further please?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1076 on: May 12, 2023, 09:25:29 AM »
Here’s an example..  We recently had a task that should take the two of us 2hrs to complete.  He announced in front of my boss that it would take us all day, so that he could slack off and get paid a full day for doing next to nothing.  I completed 2/3 of the task in 2hrs by myself, and that was with me purposefully going slower than usual.  I then moved onto other things.  This, presumably, upset him because it forced him to do more work.  So I later went over the day with my boss in private, and he said I “need to argue less and slow down because there’s no hurry”.  At no point did I even argue, or rush, I just kept to myself and worked at a normal pace.  It’s like my boss doesn’t want to make the company money or something.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1077 on: May 12, 2023, 09:29:42 AM »
just started a gig and it’s been pretty mellow so far. everyone’s been nice so far except this one old fart. he’s been judging my personality and work ethic based on how i look along with my age. mainly my nose ring and a double helix i got.

when i get older i promise to not be an old bitter judgmental piece of shit.

When I started my job in construction, I was just 18 with a lip ring and some fresh tattoos, and boy did I face some challenges. I received a lot of criticism based on my appearance, but I let my strong work ethic speak for itself. Sometimes, you have to respond with the same energy you receive. Now, years later, as someone who hires new employees for the same company, I've learned to approach situations from various perspectives and make well-rounded judgments while remaing true to myslef minus the lip ring. Now that you've got the job, give it your all. Try befriending the old fart who has been judging you. Gain some insight into his perspectives. Remember, he was once young too, facing judgment from others. And sooner than you realize, you might find yourself judging some kid who hasn't seen the light ofday in years with a Roblox tattoo jamming to Playboi Carti non stop.  :P

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1078 on: May 12, 2023, 10:13:05 AM »
Here’s an example..  We recently had a task that should take the two of us 2hrs to complete.  He announced in front of my boss that it would take us all day, so that he could slack off and get paid a full day for doing next to nothing.  I completed 2/3 of the task in 2hrs by myself, and that was with me purposefully going slower than usual.  I then moved onto other things.  This, presumably, upset him because it forced him to do more work.  So I later went over the day with my boss in private, and he said I “need to argue less and slow down because there’s no hurry”.  At no point did I even argue, or rush, I just kept to myself and worked at a normal pace.  It’s like my boss doesn’t want to make the company money or something.

I understand how you're feeling! I have a lot of responsibilities at the moment, and it's pushing me to the brink of burnout. It's amazing that I stumbled upon this conversation today, of all days. There's a quote I came across in the book "Ego is The Enemy" by Ryan Holiday (Kook to some, I know): "Do your work. Do it well. Then let go and let God." Religious beliefs aside, that's currently what I'm opting to do. Do MY work. Do it WELL and let it go. It seems like I'm having difficulty finding a complete solution for a problem as simple as 2+2. In your situation, your boss shouldn't have you working alongside him, and in my case, we need to hire two more people. What has taken me far too long to understand is that not every boss is a true leader. At one point I didn't think leadership was necessary. Sometimes, they are simply employees who hold the title and position of being a "boss". This realization is bound to come back and reflect on them sooner or later. It's a stressful situation. You sound like someone who possesses leadership qualities. It's also incredibly challenging to lead without any real "power."

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1079 on: May 12, 2023, 10:25:46 AM »
Really appreciate that!  Though I’m pretty non-religious, that quote is definitely relevant, and in line with other stuff I’ve been listening to about ego and self-validation.  And you’re absolutely right, my boss is perhaps one of the greatest “diffusers” I’ve ever met, but leader, not so much.  While I love my job for the fact it allows me to work in solitude, I do want to grow and advance, and it sounds like you’ve got that down pretty good.  Hope you get the extra staff/support you need and things get easier for you too.