Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 431126 times)

IpathCats

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -44
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2700 on: November 21, 2020, 03:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They are also Ace Hi's, which I notice Ace doesn't even sell anymore. So I may have gotten some older version of Ace's.
[close]

Sounds like your axel is bent dude. Even though your wheels might sit even, check how they're wearing. If they're coning inward, with the outside being larger than the inside, your axel is bent. Even the new Ace's will bend, if you're on an old set I bet that's what happened. The pivot cups suck too, so it might be a combination.
[close]

Yo! You might be on to something. I skated a really dirty park and the wheels were clearly more black towards the center, indicating some unevenness:

Yup, them bois bent
.....Nah

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • Spreading the shredding, sharing the Shalom.
« Reply #2701 on: November 21, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
Everyone should try the axle straightness test.

The guy who taught me that test is was a longboard designer and engineer. He said that most regular trucks have a slight bend, it’s almost unavoidable when the metal of the truck cools around the axle in the casting process.

The only ‘true’ straight axles you can get, as far as I know, are CNCed longboarding racing trucks, where demands for precision are much higher
I've heard this before, as well.
Probably here, actually.
Gotta say, I don't know... I got worried about it & came home to "inspect" every truck I had that way; wife thought I had gone crazy & was on some Close Encounters of the Third Kind type of shit with all of these boards getting their hangers spun. Didn't find any bent ones though.
I'm a little skeptical on that claim, now, as surely 1 out of 10 "newish" trucks (3 diffewrent brands) should've have shown at least some detectable sign of a manufacturing process-based wobble.
Not to call BS on your longboarder friend's assertion, but I chalked this one up to Truck Madness & gear nerdery.
As an unrelated aside, @cucktard, I've taken to pronouncing your username the same way we "americans" say say mustard, but with cuck where must should be. There was no reason at all for me to share that.
I'll see myself to the door, now.
Good day.

CossRooper

• Rep: -3
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube
« Reply #2702 on: November 21, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
@Lou Strux @Xen @Mbrimson88 @IpathCats Thanks for taking a look and for the input dudes! I hit up Ace on IG to see what they can do.

@cucktard thanks for sharing that axle test earlier in the thread, really helped me get to the bottom of this.

Also in the name, most companies leave out the "HI" or the taller version of trucks are just "standard height" with only the lower or special versions being given specific extra names.

Thanks. Now that I look at it, most web stores (skatewarehouse, tactics, etc) call standard Ace models "HI". So I think I actually do have relatively recent, standard Ace 44's.

slappy50

• Rep: 7
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2703 on: November 25, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
is there any more word on the new ace sizing? is there gonna be an 8.75 truck? i loved my ace 55s until the top bushing on the rear one started tearing apart and wrecked the turn. The cost of getting new ace bushings is quite steep and i havent seen them sold independently anywhere where i live, so i've switched back to 159s for now, unless ace comes out with an 8.75ish axle truck this spring or whenever. the turn on ace is definitely the best its a shame they can be so finnicky sometimes
niggling

[/quote]

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 155
« Reply #2704 on: November 25, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
Last I heard it was Spring 2021 but I would not be surprised if it is longer than that. They've been very quiet about it and just got a bunch of the existing models shipped out.

I'm in the same boat as you. An 8.75" axle will fit all the decks I am likely to ride.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2705 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »
is there any more word on the new ace sizing? is there gonna be an 8.75 truck? i loved my ace 55s until the top bushing on the rear one started tearing apart and wrecked the turn. The cost of getting new ace bushings is quite steep and i havent seen them sold independently anywhere where i live, so i've switched back to 159s for now, unless ace comes out with an 8.75ish axle truck this spring or whenever. the turn on ace is definitely the best its a shame they can be so finnicky sometimes

I know this was recommended more with the older Ace bushings, but Krux tops work just as well with the new Ace bottom bushings, if you can find them.

ogvados

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2706 on: November 29, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
I broke a kingpin today, first time in my life. I was surprised when I found new one in my hardware stash. Did anyone else break the kingpin on Ace trucks?

Beeker

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2707 on: November 29, 2020, 03:13:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know this was recommended more with the older Ace bushings, but Krux tops work just as well with the new Ace bottom bushings, if you can find them.

I dunno, the Krux top is fairly standard size, which is quite a bit smaller than the Ace tops so you'll be way looser at the same nut position. I'd say Venture top might be best bet for a size match. Or just try whatever you have and tighten the nut more.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2708 on: November 29, 2020, 04:10:34 PM »
Funny issue with my new Ace 55's, you literally cannot get a skate tool or even a box end wrench on the kingpin nut.  It can only be loosened or tightened using an open end wrench.  There's not enough clearance between the hangar and kingpin nut to get anything behind it.

Never had that happen with any previous set of Aces.  Not a big deal because I just set it and forget it but if you are constantly messing with your kingpin it would be super annoying

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2709 on: November 29, 2020, 04:28:40 PM »
Funny issue with my new Ace 55's, you literally cannot get a skate tool or even a box end wrench on the kingpin nut.  It can only be loosened or tightened using an open end wrench.  There's not enough clearance between the hangar and kingpin nut to get anything behind it.

Never had that happen with any previous set of Aces.  Not a big deal because I just set it and forget it but if you are constantly messing with your kingpin it would be super annoying

I know a couple of others who always had this issue no matter what trucks they used (but was way more so on Thunders and older versions of Indy trucks), because their bottom bushing was always compressed so much that it caused the hanger to sit too close to the kingpin.  The height of the bottom bushing has a huge impact on this, so it would be interesting to see a pic from the side.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2710 on: November 30, 2020, 03:43:56 AM »
For a change I want to tell that I set up new Aces couple weeks ago, loose 'em up a bit and after couple ledge/curb sesssions they feel fucking great. No issues this time! 8)

kenjiro

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2711 on: November 30, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
so i have a question for y’all. i had a bad ankle injury a while ago and lost a lot of my pop/power in my back foot. would switching to aces help improve my pop if my maximum pop is less now?

since it “lightens up” the pop. i don’t normally like long wheelbase boards or steep boards. and i find 14.38 with thunder almost un skate able ( at least for flat) i find i have to lean back more, which is more difficult on a weak back ankle.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
    • Instagram
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2712 on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
so i have a question for y’all. i had a bad ankle injury a while ago and lost a lot of my pop/power in my back foot. would switching to aces help improve my pop if my maximum pop is less now?

since it “lightens up” the pop. i don’t normally like long wheelbase boards or steep boards. and i find 14.38 with thunder almost un skate able ( at least for flat) i find i have to lean back more, which is more difficult on a weak back ankle.

Yes, that would be a good remedy imo - I notice a quicker, lighter response from Ace.

skatekm0

• Rep: 17
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2713 on: December 01, 2020, 07:19:23 AM »
Has anyone ridden Ace 55s on a 8.68 deck?

I know the axle is 9" but I thought it might work better than the 44s since the "max size" listed on their website is 8.5.

I ask because I went black Friday crazy and bought a Black Label 8.68 with Ace 55s and now I'm wondering if it will work.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #2714 on: December 01, 2020, 07:39:28 AM »

I know the axle is 9" but I thought it might work better than the 44s since the "max size" listed on their website is 8.5.

I ask because I went black Friday crazy and bought a Black Label 8.68 with Ace 55s and now I'm wondering if it will work.

It should work, I wouldn't kick the wheels all the way out though.

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #2715 on: December 01, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »

Just put both washers outside the wheels (you can do no washer inside with Ace) and you'll be good. I do that with my 55s on anything where I would normally want an 8.75" truck.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 64
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2716 on: December 01, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »
I rode 8.5s, 55s, and <52mm wheels for a solid 9 months last year.  It's not ideal for how I want to skate now (I'm all the way down to 8.25 trucks now) but I do love the combination.

skatekm0

• Rep: 17
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #2717 on: December 01, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
Sick. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll have to post the set up once I get it put together.

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 155
« Reply #2718 on: December 01, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
I've used 44s on 8.5 up to 8.75

and 55s on 8.5 up to 9.8 shaped boards.

I'm a broken record here and while all the above combos worked, Ace really need something between 44 and 55.

IpathCats

« Reply #2719 on: December 01, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

I've broken/sprained my feet/ankles multiple times. Before my last bad injury I was riding 8.75 with indy 159 titanium. After surgery and physical therapy getting on that board felt impossible to maneuver, so I sized down to 8.5 and ace 44's and it helped a good bit.
.....Nah

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2720 on: December 01, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've broken/sprained my feet/ankles multiple times. Before my last bad injury I was riding 8.75 with indy 159 titanium. After surgery and physical therapy getting on that board felt impossible to maneuver, so I sized down to 8.5 and ace 44's and it helped a good bit.

That sounds a lot like what happened to me! Was riding 8.625-8.75 (with the odd shaped board every once in a while) with indy 159 and completely destroyed my ankle in June, so I stepped down to 8.38-8.5 with ace 44 when I got back in July. Sure helped a lot, tried my 159s on a 8.5 after that and could barely kickflip high enough to get on a sidewalk, much easier on my aces... Not exactly as much pop as I had before the injury, but enough to get by. Ankle is getting much better now though! It's winter now here in Canada, so I'll see next summer if I want to step back up in size or not.

Diocletian

« Reply #2721 on: December 01, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »

Your hanger sitting properly? If I use too short of a bottom bushing one of my Ace's is like that. As long as I have an Ace bottom bushing or Krux, it doesn't have that issue.

IpathCats

« Reply #2722 on: December 01, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »
Does anyone make bushings the same size as ace, but harder?
.....Nah

BMCsteve

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2723 on: December 01, 2020, 04:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Your hanger sitting properly? If I use too short of a bottom bushing one of my Ace's is like that. As long as I have an Ace bottom bushing or Krux, it doesn't have that issue.

Yep, the hanger is sitting properly and I’m using the stock Ace bushings with the kingpin nut flush.  So weird

kenjiro

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2724 on: December 01, 2020, 05:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks everyone. I bit the bullet and got a pair of 44’s. I was only able to ride them for a little bit, but the shorter wheelbase had a positive impact for my flatground right away. Loving the way these feel and surprisingly stable.

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2725 on: December 02, 2020, 06:36:06 AM »

Minilogo. I was running the orange 94a for a bit.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

Beeker

« Reply #2726 on: December 02, 2020, 07:33:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The ML top isn't as tall as the Ace top. Best bet is to leave the Ace top (which is already kinda hard) and mess around with a harder bottom. Or try whatever and crank the kingpin nut down more.

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2727 on: December 02, 2020, 07:35:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The ML top isn't as tall as the Ace top. Best bet is to leave the Ace top (which is already kinda hard) and mess around with a harder bottom. Or try whatever and crank the kingpin nut down more.

Had no idea. I want to revisit my set now.

Beeker

« Reply #2728 on: December 02, 2020, 07:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Had no idea. I want to revisit my set now.

Ace top is basically huge. IMO they are a big reason for the Ace feel, I use them in my Krux and they feel just like Ace but harder at the end of the turn.

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2729 on: December 02, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
Anybody came from Thunders? Or anybody who rides tight-medium?