Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 322513 times)

Wafools and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

IpathCats

• Rep: -16
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2700 on: November 21, 2020, 03:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They are also Ace Hi's, which I notice Ace doesn't even sell anymore. So I may have gotten some older version of Ace's.
[close]

Sounds like your axel is bent dude. Even though your wheels might sit even, check how they're wearing. If they're coning inward, with the outside being larger than the inside, your axel is bent. Even the new Ace's will bend, if you're on an old set I bet that's what happened. The pivot cups suck too, so it might be a combination.
[close]

Yo! You might be on to something. I skated a really dirty park and the wheels were clearly more black towards the center, indicating some unevenness:

Yup, them bois bent
.....Nah

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Spreading the shredding, sharing the Shalom.
« Reply #2701 on: November 21, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
Everyone should try the axle straightness test.

The guy who taught me that test is was a longboard designer and engineer. He said that most regular trucks have a slight bend, it’s almost unavoidable when the metal of the truck cools around the axle in the casting process.

The only ‘true’ straight axles you can get, as far as I know, are CNCed longboarding racing trucks, where demands for precision are much higher
I've heard this before, as well.
Probably here, actually.
Gotta say, I don't know... I got worried about it & came home to "inspect" every truck I had that way; wife thought I had gone crazy & was on some Close Encounters of the Third Kind type of shit with all of these boards getting their hangers spun. Didn't find any bent ones though.
I'm a little skeptical on that claim, now, as surely 1 out of 10 "newish" trucks (3 diffewrent brands) should've have shown at least some detectable sign of a manufacturing process-based wobble.
Not to call BS on your longboarder friend's assertion, but I chalked this one up to Truck Madness & gear nerdery.
As an unrelated aside, @cucktard, I've taken to pronouncing your username the same way we "americans" say say mustard, but with cuck where must should be. There was no reason at all for me to share that.
I'll see myself to the door, now.
Good day.

CossRooper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #2702 on: November 21, 2020, 03:08:34 PM »
@Lou Strux @Xen @Mbrimson88 @IpathCats Thanks for taking a look and for the input dudes! I hit up Ace on IG to see what they can do.

@cucktard thanks for sharing that axle test earlier in the thread, really helped me get to the bottom of this.

Also in the name, most companies leave out the "HI" or the taller version of trucks are just "standard height" with only the lower or special versions being given specific extra names.

Thanks. Now that I look at it, most web stores (skatewarehouse, tactics, etc) call standard Ace models "HI". So I think I actually do have relatively recent, standard Ace 44's.
http://www.youtube.com/user/footagedump - Fragmented web clips/episodes edited into full length movies. OIAM, Crailtap, etc

slappy50

• Rep: 2
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2703 on: November 25, 2020, 08:50:27 AM »
is there any more word on the new ace sizing? is there gonna be an 8.75 truck? i loved my ace 55s until the top bushing on the rear one started tearing apart and wrecked the turn. The cost of getting new ace bushings is quite steep and i havent seen them sold independently anywhere where i live, so i've switched back to 159s for now, unless ace comes out with an 8.75ish axle truck this spring or whenever. the turn on ace is definitely the best its a shame they can be so finnicky sometimes
niggling

[/quote]

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2704 on: November 25, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
Last I heard it was Spring 2021 but I would not be surprised if it is longer than that. They've been very quiet about it and just got a bunch of the existing models shipped out.

I'm in the same boat as you. An 8.75" axle will fit all the decks I am likely to ride.

Twanked n Danked

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2705 on: November 25, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »
is there any more word on the new ace sizing? is there gonna be an 8.75 truck? i loved my ace 55s until the top bushing on the rear one started tearing apart and wrecked the turn. The cost of getting new ace bushings is quite steep and i havent seen them sold independently anywhere where i live, so i've switched back to 159s for now, unless ace comes out with an 8.75ish axle truck this spring or whenever. the turn on ace is definitely the best its a shame they can be so finnicky sometimes

I know this was recommended more with the older Ace bushings, but Krux tops work just as well with the new Ace bottom bushings, if you can find them.