Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 745139 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3030 on: March 11, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
4140 is common chromoly steel, what many steel bike frames are made out of.
[close]

4130 is what is what is found in bicycles, due to the fact that it can be best drawn into long, thin, flexible and strong tubes (Reynolds, Columbus, True Temper, Ishiwata, etc all manufacture some kind of 4130). The other steel that's used for inexpensive bicycle frames in 1010 hi-tensile steel, the sort of stuff you might find on a department store bike, a classic "bike boom" frame, or an old Schwinn. As for 4140, it is more commonly used in "bar" application, such an spindles, axles, pinions and other applications where weight matters less than overall strength. I assume that's why it's so commonly found in skateboard axles
[close]
thank you. i stand corrected.

No problem. My professional background is in
1) Machining
2) Bicycles

So I've spent more time thinking about this that most people will in their lifetimes
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Cthulhu!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3031 on: March 14, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »
What's this I'm hearing about re-threading axle nuts?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3032 on: March 14, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »

I was thinking "What are you on about?!?" but then saw the new Thrasher ad for them, so here is a pic.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3033 on: March 14, 2021, 07:42:20 PM »
so... AF-1... when?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3034 on: March 14, 2021, 07:58:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking "What are you on about?!?" but then saw the new Thrasher ad for them, so here is a pic.

Dang, that marketing hooked me hard

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3035 on: March 14, 2021, 08:06:58 PM »
Its on! If the 44s are now 8.25" I'm going to need some 55s and 66s. Fuck yes.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3036 on: March 14, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
Spring drop? April?
Look so good

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3037 on: March 14, 2021, 08:59:20 PM »
Guess I will be buying another pair of trucks as it turns out

Diocletian

« Reply #3038 on: March 15, 2021, 02:35:13 AM »
All I’m seeing is vague marketing with that ad specifically. I’d like to see the technical info on the “hi grade” aluminum and “stronger” axles. So no forged? No one asked for laser engraved axles and rethreading axle nuts. 96a urethane pivot cups eliminates the need for riptides, potentially. Not really sold on this new version of Ace that has been hyped as nearly indestructible, not getting any convincing info so far.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3039 on: March 15, 2021, 03:03:00 AM »
The innovation of the axle rethreader that fits into the normal skate tool looks good, but I could see people losing it or breaking the softer plastic skate tools if the thing just wouldn't go on, but also think how precise you need to be with the rethreader to make sure it goes on right could also leave a few people with issues if they don't use it correctly.

Any which way, it will be interesting to see them.  Not so much that I would be trying to get hold of a set as soon as they come out though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #3040 on: March 15, 2021, 03:18:35 AM »
are all of these Ace trucks really getting bent

Yes /thread

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #3041 on: March 15, 2021, 03:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have also been marketed to.

Think I'll give these new ones a go now when they come out.

All I skate is polar and everyone tells me that polar + ace is the blessed combo.

Only thing holding me back is the talk on here of them slipping out of crooks.....which is probably not as bad as people say?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3042 on: March 15, 2021, 04:04:48 AM »
So is the new updated aces gonna be available in the classic 44 (8.38) size?

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3043 on: March 15, 2021, 04:37:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
4140 is common chromoly steel, what many steel bike frames are made out of.
[close]

4130 is what is what is found in bicycles, due to the fact that it can be best drawn into long, thin, flexible and strong tubes (Reynolds, Columbus, True Temper, Ishiwata, etc all manufacture some kind of 4130). The other steel that's used for inexpensive bicycle frames in 1010 hi-tensile steel, the sort of stuff you might find on a department store bike, a classic "bike boom" frame, or an old Schwinn. As for 4140, it is more commonly used in "bar" application, such an spindles, axles, pinions and other applications where weight matters less than overall strength. I assume that's why it's so commonly found in skateboard axles
[close]
thank you. i stand corrected.
[close]

No problem. My professional background is in
1) Machining
2) Bicycles

So I've spent more time thinking about this that most people will in their lifetimes

You a frame builder?
ok thanks

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3044 on: March 15, 2021, 05:07:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

All I skate is polar and everyone tells me that polar + ace is the blessed combo.

Only thing holding me back is the talk on here of them slipping out of crooks.....which is probably not as bad as people say?

anyone know when these will be available to buy?

IpathCats

« Reply #3045 on: March 15, 2021, 05:47:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The short wheelbase ace gives you means you use more of your nose on crooks than with other trucks, and how they turn causes your crooks to be more.. well...  Crooked. Slipping out of them definitely happens more because of this. But I enjoyed my time on ace's regardless, and I do a shit ton of crooked grinds. It's just not what they're best at.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3046 on: March 15, 2021, 06:03:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

honestly that is pretty awesome and a great idea. adding an axle rethreading nut is something more truck companies should do.

i'm basically sold on these now, even if i'm currently on ventures. i'm just too curious to not try them out. especially if the hanger won't bend as bad finally.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #3047 on: March 15, 2021, 06:10:35 AM »
So is the new updated aces gonna be available in the classic 44 (8.38) size?

I don’t think so. I think it was said that they would still make the old ones the old way, along with the upgraded ones.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3048 on: March 15, 2021, 06:39:02 AM »
Honestly, I mostly care about the new sizing.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3049 on: March 15, 2021, 06:40:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It isn't. I said that at one point, but back on Aces after a month on Ventures and they crook just fine. I made a post a page or so back publicly apologizing for spreading that kind of misinformation.

Finally getting an 8.75" Ace is going to be wild.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3050 on: March 15, 2021, 07:15:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha I’m usually pretty resilient to ads, but this one caught me in a vulnerable moment of being in the throes of truck madness

I have only skated the Polar Dane1 and Shin surf shapes and those feel better to me with Thunders, but I imagine the popsicles would feel awesome with Aces. I’ve had a bunch of BBS wood shop popsicles that handle Aces really well.

As far as slipping out of crooks, I haven’t had that problem on Aces specifically. The metal grinds slower for me than thunders so that is an adjustment I have to make when I switch though

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3051 on: March 15, 2021, 08:09:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It isn't. I said that at one point, but back on Aces after a month on Ventures and they crook just fine. I made a post a page or so back publicly apologizing for spreading that kind of misinformation.

Expand Quote
[close]

I really want a proper 8.75 Ace, but I was hoping for something else to really bring me back, like a hollow kingpin or just anything to reduce the weight. I know I can do this on my own via aftermarket parts, but I'd prefer not to have to do that. 

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3052 on: March 15, 2021, 08:21:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I really want a proper 8.75 Ace, but I was hoping for something else to really bring me back, like a hollow kingpin or just anything to reduce the weight. I know I can do this on my own via aftermarket parts, but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

You could always throw Indy 159 Hollow hangers on some Ace baseplates, that's about the closest thing you'll get from a 8.75 Ace with less weight.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #3053 on: March 15, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
Where the hanger meets the pivot cup looks real weird.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #3054 on: March 15, 2021, 09:20:21 AM »
Where the hanger meets the pivot cup looks real weird.

I think its the lighting/angle. I agree it looks like thin and flat but if you look into the shadow area it looks pretty normal again
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3055 on: March 15, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »

yeah, these could well be heavier than the existing models. the prototype 44s i checked out were heavier than the existing 44s. i'm not personally concerned about weight but there is a market out there for light trucks that ace might be missing.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3056 on: March 15, 2021, 09:52:14 AM »
stripped axles wouldn't be an issue if people made use of axle washers instead of throwing them away. it's a pretty common thing to do. it wouldn't be necessary to tighten down as much, exposing the axle

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 541
« Reply #3057 on: March 15, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
I'm hoping for a size that matches Indy 215s.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3058 on: March 15, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah, these could well be heavier than the existing models. the prototype 44s i checked out were heavier than the existing 44s. i'm not personally concerned about weight but there is a market out there for light trucks that ace might be missing.

Kind of a bummer. I was pretty jazzed when there was talk of forged plates and hollow kingpins and axles, but that all looks to have been axed. Still buying a set of new 44's all the same, just hoping it's not too lateral.

Seriously, what's with Ace trying to reinvent axle nuts? On the list of Ace things to improve that's pretty much near the bottom.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3059 on: March 15, 2021, 10:29:09 AM »
I'm hoping for a size that matches Indy 215s.

Strong rumor says it is definitely definitely coming in this revamp.
ok thanks