Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 388407 times)

Weezil, camel filters, Xen, bbk and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

OMSK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -11
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2970 on: March 01, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
I tried 55's on my 8.5 and yea it wasn't ideal. I LOVE my 8.75 with 55's though. Such a sweet truck. I had the same bushing issue. I threw a Bones Hard top with the washer and left the stock bottom with washer and its worked perfect. I did this to my 66 set up as well. Works good for me.

Yeah I might have to up my size to an 8.6... I was really stoked on the 55s and an 8.5 but they're a hair too wide and the 44s are like a magic carpet ride. It was really strange how wide they felt though, like a noticeable difference. I'm over Indy's and slipping axles and had a weird experience with thunders... I was running bones bushings but they kept cracking so now I am back to stock Indy's but I put both top bushings in the truck and it turns a little better IMO.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2971 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:28 AM »
Expand Quote
I tried 55's on my 8.5 and yea it wasn't ideal. I LOVE my 8.75 with 55's though. Such a sweet truck. I had the same bushing issue. I threw a Bones Hard top with the washer and left the stock bottom with washer and its worked perfect. I did this to my 66 set up as well. Works good for me.
[close]

Yeah I might have to up my size to an 8.6... I was really stoked on the 55s and an 8.5 but they're a hair too wide and the 44s are like a magic carpet ride. It was really strange how wide they felt though, like a noticeable difference. I'm over Indy's and slipping axles and had a weird experience with thunders... I was running bones bushings but they kept cracking so now I am back to stock Indy's but I put both top bushings in the truck and it turns a little better IMO.

I ride 8.5 almost exclusively and I'm on 44s, although I do have 3 washers inside each wheel and 1 outside to make them a little wider. I'd say it makes them about as wide as indy 149s. I also hate the magic carpet feel, and 55s are way too big for me. Can't wait until I can get my hands on a 8.75 Ace truck though, and I've tried going back to indy 159 and something's just off, so I make it work with 3 washers on 44s in the meantime.

twic3

• Rep: -5
« Reply #2972 on: March 01, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »
3 washers inside is definitely key to skating a 8.3-8.5 with 44s. Coming from 159-8.5 setup as well it does suck not having that extra room to grind on but the pros outweigh the cons... at least scooping is alittle bit easier lol.

OMSK

• Rep: -11
« Reply #2973 on: March 01, 2021, 12:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ride 8.5 almost exclusively and I'm on 44s, although I do have 3 washers inside each wheel and 1 outside to make them a little wider. I'd say it makes them about as wide as indy 149s. I also hate the magic carpet feel, and 55s are way too big for me. Can't wait until I can get my hands on a 8.75 Ace truck though, and I've tried going back to indy 159 and something's just off, so I make it work with 3 washers on 44s in the meantime.

fuck, didn't event think of running extra washers, I'll give that a shot....

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 110
« Reply #2974 on: March 01, 2021, 01:01:04 PM »
If you use extra washers make sure your nylock nuts are in good shape. I lost a wheel on a 50-50 the other day running 44s with extra washers...

Diocletian

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #2975 on: March 01, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »
Flip your axle nuts, I've done it plenty of times. No worrying about the nuts flying off.

anon

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2976 on: March 01, 2021, 01:38:29 PM »
Flip your axle nuts, I've done it plenty of times. No worrying about the nuts flying off.
i do this too and frequently swap wheels. never had any problems. is there a reason they're not made this way?

RoadSodas

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2977 on: March 01, 2021, 03:04:50 PM »
3 washers inside is definitely key to skating a 8.3-8.5 with 44s. Coming from 159-8.5 setup as well it does suck not having that extra room to grind on but the pros outweigh the cons... at least scooping is alittle bit easier lol.

Similar boat, ran 159s then 169s on an 8.5 forever. Moved back to 44's about 2 months ago, 3 washers on the inside and a little bit wider wheels and WAY prefer it.

Its funny that I get hardly any wheel bite on my Aces with 54mm OJ Hardlines, but on my 169s I get it constantly on the same wheels, and i run my trucks like barely loose.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #2978 on: March 01, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »
Switched back to 8.5 from 8.38 board and had a new set of ace 44s to try, too narrow. Went to the shop got some 55s, too wide.... I had that bushing dilemma as well.... So far my quest to start riding aces is on standby...

As said, three washers on the inside only - don't need anything on the outside as the wheel nut almost have their own built in washer nowdays.

This is how I have run my setups for a long time and although sometimes the wheel doesn't seat the bearings correctly, I almost never have issues with length of axle and 3 washers, but I have a ton of spares, some wider, some thinner, so I can mix and match a bit too if needed.

Thinner washers only even fit four on some trucks, but as long as the wheel nut is firmly on (not able to be turned just by your fingers) you should never have issues with the wheel nuts falling off.

It really does make a big difference in where the wheels sit and don't be alarmed by seeing a lot of washers when you look at your wheels (if you ride thinner wheels, that is) but most of my normal size bigger wheels cover them nicely anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2979 on: March 03, 2021, 12:11:29 AM »
Pontus set up. 8.75 14.375 wb and ace 55 its looking like.

can't talk about the deck specs but know for sure he rides them 55's

twic3

« Reply #2980 on: March 04, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »
I'm kinda stuck between ordering those riptide pivot cups or just waiting for the new model to drop next month. I cant believe my pivot cups have gotten so bad only after 9 months...

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
« Reply #2981 on: March 04, 2021, 12:15:33 PM »
I'm kinda stuck between ordering those riptide pivot cups or just waiting for the new model to drop next month. I cant believe my pivot cups have gotten so bad only after 9 months...

What did I miss, next month? is that confirmed somewhere?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #2982 on: March 04, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What did I miss, next month? is that confirmed somewhere?

Rumors, no real confirmation (and you can't expect a solid date given the global supply situation).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #2983 on: March 04, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »
Can anyone give me a quick review of the 03s? I'm currently on 44s and was thinking of sizing down to 33s once I kill these, but was always curious about how the lows feel. How's the turning? Wheel bite? Kingpin clearance?

I loved them. Bones hards and 50mm wheels. Still turn (probably better than any low truck out there - ML can compete here and are lighter). The bones hards kept the wheelbite at bay but they still turned great (especially when the hards broke in to permanent mediums).  Kingpin clearance leaves much to be desired.

twic3

« Reply #2984 on: March 04, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »
https://www.basementskate.com.au/blog/2020/11/05/ace-trucks-urgent-call-to-all-ace-pilots/

For context, someone linked this 2 or 3 pages ago.

Also on the Ace insta, yesterday they replied back to someone asking when the 8.5 model comes out. Someone commented "spring?" and they replied back "sooner than you think"...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL65WdVJZX8/

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #2985 on: March 04, 2021, 02:16:36 PM »
Last thing I saw about the new drop, from 2 weeks ago in reference to the upcoming 8.5"

twic3

« Reply #2986 on: March 04, 2021, 02:33:10 PM »
Heres the comment I was talking about

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #2987 on: March 04, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
Well Spring is just few weeks away, so if it's sooner than we think, could be next week.

palelight

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2988 on: March 04, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »
Any hints one way or the other if the new sizes will be redesigns as well? I remember Oski having a setup pic last year with hollows, same with a Joey T. pic that was floating around, but Oski's recent setup pic, and Pontus..and everyone else just seem like normal Aces. Did they scrap the redesign and just opt for new widths?

manysnakes

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2989 on: March 04, 2021, 04:39:22 PM »
It's actually kinda wild to consider that Ace doesn't offer an equivalent to the 149 or 159, which are, judging from the people I know, the two most popular sizes of Independent Trucks. I even ran into my local curb dog, the guy who was skating Ace Trucks 6 or 7 years ago, skating Indy Mid 159s, because he didn't like the way that his 55s hung off the side of his 8.75" popsicle

Diocletian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #2990 on: March 04, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
Any hints one way or the other if the new sizes will be redesigns as well? I remember Oski having a setup pic last year with hollows, same with a Joey T. pic that was floating around, but Oski's recent setup pic, and Pontus..and everyone else just seem like normal Aces. Did they scrap the redesign and just opt for new widths?

I've noticed quite a few pilots with the new Ace's based off how the "ACE" logo on the baseplate looks different, but they all have solid kingpins, so I also think they may have scrapped it. I think they just updated the sizing and then it's going to be forged, while still keeping the "classics" in the lineup.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #2991 on: March 04, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
It's actually kinda wild to consider that Ace doesn't offer an equivalent to the 149 or 159, which are, judging from the people I know, the two most popular sizes of Independent Trucks. I even ran into my local curb dog, the guy who was skating Ace Trucks 6 or 7 years ago, skating Indy Mid 159s, because he didn't like the way that his 55s hung off the side of his 8.75" popsicle

I still run Indy 159s for that very reason (which I had gotten TI instead of Hollow, but I might bite on the the Ti-Mindy at that size), those 8.88 make the 55s more bearable tho.

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 110
« Reply #2992 on: March 05, 2021, 08:14:15 AM »
Same but with Thunder 151s. I have a deck right now that I am constantly switching between 44s and 55s because neither really fit. All I want from Ace is a size in between those two. The harder aluminum will be nice but its the sizing thats my main concern.

palelight

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2993 on: March 05, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've noticed quite a few pilots with the new Ace's based off how the "ACE" logo on the baseplate looks different, but they all have solid kingpins, so I also think they may have scrapped it. I think they just updated the sizing and then it's going to be forged, while still keeping the "classics" in the lineup.

Ah yeah, the new logo on the plate. Didn't consider that. Forged plates would be a huge plus. Forged plates and hollow hardware would be better but I'll take what I can get.

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
« Reply #2994 on: March 05, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »
I posted in another thread (and have said IRL) that I don't think aces feel good for k-grinds. I put mine back on today and was proven very wrong, very happily.

I just wanted to put that out there. I too am excited for the new trucks to drop.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2995 on: March 05, 2021, 04:33:38 PM »
What aftermarket bushings does everyone run? For a while I was pretty satisfied with stock, but I got the inevitable madness and also had problems when I threw in some riptides so I eventually got bones mediums to see how they felt in them. They're decent, but I'm honestly having a hard time noticing if they're really making any difference at all...

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2996 on: March 05, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
What aftermarket bushings does everyone run? For a while I was pretty satisfied with stock, but I got the inevitable madness and also had problems when I threw in some riptides so I eventually got bones mediums to see how they felt in them. They're decent, but I'm honestly having a hard time noticing if they're really making any difference at all...

Riptide bushings or pivot cups?

What sort of problems did the riptides cause?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2997 on: March 05, 2021, 05:42:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pivotcups - they weirdly make the turn feel more janky than before. I've used riptides in thunders previously and felt like they made those turn way better, while also being more stable.. for some reason in my Aces they feel off-set, or more choppy in some way.

off

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #2998 on: March 05, 2021, 08:53:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pivotcups - they weirdly make the turn feel more janky than before. I've used riptides in thunders previously and felt like they made those turn way better, while also being more stable.. for some reason in my Aces they feel off-set, or more choppy in some way.
personally saw no reason to run them in aces for the time i gave them a chance, their turning geometry doesnt need to be messed with imo

Giza Butler

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2999 on: March 08, 2021, 02:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I still run Indy 159s for that very reason (which I had gotten TI instead of Hollow, but I might bite on the the Ti-Mindy at that size), those 8.88 make the 55s more bearable tho.

OK, I apologise for probably asking this question for the millionth time.

I'm considering switching to ACE, I ride from 8,8' (the smallest I can go) to 9,25'. I was considering the 66s but i guess by reading this it might be way too big? Correct?

Thanks for the patience.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.