Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738909 times)

Diocletian

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #2970 on: March 04, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
Any hints one way or the other if the new sizes will be redesigns as well? I remember Oski having a setup pic last year with hollows, same with a Joey T. pic that was floating around, but Oski's recent setup pic, and Pontus..and everyone else just seem like normal Aces. Did they scrap the redesign and just opt for new widths?

I've noticed quite a few pilots with the new Ace's based off how the "ACE" logo on the baseplate looks different, but they all have solid kingpins, so I also think they may have scrapped it. I think they just updated the sizing and then it's going to be forged, while still keeping the "classics" in the lineup.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2971 on: March 04, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
It's actually kinda wild to consider that Ace doesn't offer an equivalent to the 149 or 159, which are, judging from the people I know, the two most popular sizes of Independent Trucks. I even ran into my local curb dog, the guy who was skating Ace Trucks 6 or 7 years ago, skating Indy Mid 159s, because he didn't like the way that his 55s hung off the side of his 8.75" popsicle

I still run Indy 159s for that very reason (which I had gotten TI instead of Hollow, but I might bite on the the Ti-Mindy at that size), those 8.88 make the 55s more bearable tho.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2972 on: March 05, 2021, 08:14:15 AM »
Same but with Thunder 151s. I have a deck right now that I am constantly switching between 44s and 55s because neither really fit. All I want from Ace is a size in between those two. The harder aluminum will be nice but its the sizing thats my main concern.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #2973 on: March 05, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Any hints one way or the other if the new sizes will be redesigns as well? I remember Oski having a setup pic last year with hollows, same with a Joey T. pic that was floating around, but Oski's recent setup pic, and Pontus..and everyone else just seem like normal Aces. Did they scrap the redesign and just opt for new widths?
[close]

I've noticed quite a few pilots with the new Ace's based off how the "ACE" logo on the baseplate looks different, but they all have solid kingpins, so I also think they may have scrapped it. I think they just updated the sizing and then it's going to be forged, while still keeping the "classics" in the lineup.

Ah yeah, the new logo on the plate. Didn't consider that. Forged plates would be a huge plus. Forged plates and hollow hardware would be better but I'll take what I can get.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2974 on: March 05, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »
I posted in another thread (and have said IRL) that I don't think aces feel good for k-grinds. I put mine back on today and was proven very wrong, very happily.

I just wanted to put that out there. I too am excited for the new trucks to drop.

rosemaryBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #2975 on: March 05, 2021, 04:33:38 PM »
What aftermarket bushings does everyone run? For a while I was pretty satisfied with stock, but I got the inevitable madness and also had problems when I threw in some riptides so I eventually got bones mediums to see how they felt in them. They're decent, but I'm honestly having a hard time noticing if they're really making any difference at all...

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #2976 on: March 05, 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
What aftermarket bushings does everyone run? For a while I was pretty satisfied with stock, but I got the inevitable madness and also had problems when I threw in some riptides so I eventually got bones mediums to see how they felt in them. They're decent, but I'm honestly having a hard time noticing if they're really making any difference at all...

Riptide bushings or pivot cups?

What sort of problems did the riptides cause?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2977 on: March 05, 2021, 05:42:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pivotcups - they weirdly make the turn feel more janky than before. I've used riptides in thunders previously and felt like they made those turn way better, while also being more stable.. for some reason in my Aces they feel off-set, or more choppy in some way.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2978 on: March 05, 2021, 08:53:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pivotcups - they weirdly make the turn feel more janky than before. I've used riptides in thunders previously and felt like they made those turn way better, while also being more stable.. for some reason in my Aces they feel off-set, or more choppy in some way.
personally saw no reason to run them in aces for the time i gave them a chance, their turning geometry doesnt need to be messed with imo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2979 on: March 08, 2021, 02:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote
It's actually kinda wild to consider that Ace doesn't offer an equivalent to the 149 or 159, which are, judging from the people I know, the two most popular sizes of Independent Trucks. I even ran into my local curb dog, the guy who was skating Ace Trucks 6 or 7 years ago, skating Indy Mid 159s, because he didn't like the way that his 55s hung off the side of his 8.75" popsicle
[close]

I still run Indy 159s for that very reason (which I had gotten TI instead of Hollow, but I might bite on the the Ti-Mindy at that size), those 8.88 make the 55s more bearable tho.

OK, I apologise for probably asking this question for the millionth time.

I'm considering switching to ACE, I ride from 8,8' (the smallest I can go) to 9,25'. I was considering the 66s but i guess by reading this it might be way too big? Correct?

Thanks for the patience.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #2980 on: March 08, 2021, 02:40:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm considering switching to ACE, I ride from 8,8' (the smallest I can go) to 9,25'. I was considering the 66s but i guess by reading this it might be way too big? Correct?

Thanks for the patience.

Run the 55s my dude
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #2981 on: March 08, 2021, 02:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the patience.
[close]

Run the 55s my dude

Thanks, and SHALOM!
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

WHYAMIDOINGTHIS

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2982 on: March 08, 2021, 06:42:34 AM »
iNDY HANGAR ON ACE BASEPLATE? DOES IT WORK?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2983 on: March 08, 2021, 06:47:53 AM »
iNDY HANGAR ON ACE BASEPLATE? DOES IT WORK?

I never tried it but heard it does.

Diocletian

« Reply #2984 on: March 08, 2021, 10:01:42 AM »
It works with older stage 1 and 2 Ace baseplates. I have some newer Ace baseplates that are like the rest of the batches currently coming out, the pivot hole is slightly crooked, and you will notice pivot cups stick out higher on one side than the other as a result of this. Indy hangers do not sit well inside these wonky pivot cavities.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2985 on: March 09, 2021, 02:50:16 AM »
Bought 44s December 2020. Love the look and the turn. When I hold the hangers against each other, there is probably a 2mm gap at each side. Nothing to fuss about too much, but it still raises concerns. I don't even skate "big shit", but I would maybe like to ollie some stairs in the future and my skatepark has a minimega, so air time and big impacts are not out of the question. How is the bendability of these as of now? Should I go to Indys for the big impact stuff? Will a hollow/titanium axle help with bendage in the future?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:59:37 AM by mbam003 »

IpathCats

« Reply #2986 on: March 09, 2021, 06:26:14 AM »
Bought 44s December 2020. Love the look and the turn. When I hold the hangers against each other, there is probably a 2mm gap at each side. Nothing to fuss about too much, but it still raises concerns. I don't even skate "big shit", but I would maybe like to ollie some stairs in the future and my skatepark has a minimega, so air time and big impacts are not out of the question. How is the bendability of these as of now? Should I go to Indys for the big impact stuff? Will a hollow/titanium axle help with bendage in the future?

Yes they still bend, yes a titanium axel will help. Ace comes out with their new shit next month, forged baseplates for sure idk about the hangar. If you like the way they skate I'd say wait and see what's up with those. Otherwise, get some titanium indy's.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2987 on: March 09, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »

While its possible they have bent, the hangars also have a little bit of 'rocker' (Not as much as they used to) so there is more meat over the king pin than out toward the end of the hangar. It was an intentional design but also made any axle  bending issues appear worse.

mbam003

« Reply #2988 on: March 09, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

While its possible they have bent, the hangars also have a little bit of 'rocker' (Not as much as they used to) so there is more meat over the king pin than out toward the end of the hangar. It was an intentional design but also made any axle  bending issues appear worse.

I didn't know they still do that and that case it must be what I'm looking at. I have done nothing to warrant a bend. I mainly skated transition with them and some flat and ledge, no gaps at all.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2989 on: March 09, 2021, 10:55:01 AM »
It works with older stage 1 and 2 Ace baseplates. I have some newer Ace baseplates that are like the rest of the batches currently coming out, the pivot hole is slightly crooked, and you will notice pivot cups stick out higher on one side than the other as a result of this. Indy hangers do not sit well inside these wonky pivot cavities.
Thanks ! I bought my first paire of ace in january and realized that i was pretty disappointed by the quality of the pivot hole.
and yes i also realised the axle also bent a little even if i dont do gaps or big drop, only pavements ollie. i'm gonna put them on my cruiser set up for definitive use and wait for the next generation. yet i said a lot of complaining but i still love how they turn and how they dont wheelbite that much for being lower than indy. ace 55 for info.

mbam003

« Reply #2990 on: March 09, 2021, 11:43:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks ! I bought my first paire of ace in january and realized that i was pretty disappointed by the quality of the pivot hole.
and yes i also realised the axle also bent a little even if i dont do gaps or big drop, only pavements ollie. i'm gonna put them on my cruiser set up for definitive use and wait for the next generation. yet i said a lot of complaining but i still love how they turn and how they dont wheelbite that much for being lower than indy. ace 55 for info.

I totally get it. That turning radius with the wheelbase set in an extra 1/4 inch is a thing of beauty. When you see guys like Raven, Sandoval, Oski ripping bowls you can see how they sometimes utilize that extra turn you could never get with Indys. By the time you're that loose you're wobbling and wheelbiting all over the place. I'm afraid the issues could only be solved with titanium axles, which would be a concern for manufacturing and cost. With that being said I would cop a titanium axle Ace truck no questions asked. If they just changed the design to mitigate the flaws they would be Indys. I mean they already look closer to Indys compared to the original versions. Let's see what they have to offer when the time comes.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #2991 on: March 09, 2021, 11:44:06 AM »
Has anyone tried Ace 44's with Primitive and Isle decks?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2992 on: March 09, 2021, 12:30:52 PM »

Bro Ace are made in China!!! You need to surrender them now.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #2993 on: March 09, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bro Ace are made in China!!! You need to surrender them now.

haha yeah I should but got sent a couple of sets to try so thought why not, especially after hearing too many homies hyping em over the past few years

mbam003

« Reply #2994 on: March 09, 2021, 01:56:48 PM »

Sounds like it would suck. Primitives at least are a short wb/ long tail type of truck, way better suited for Thunders and Ventures. I would dread riding Aces on those. But only one way to find out...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2995 on: March 09, 2021, 05:55:35 PM »
Will a hollow/titanium axle help with bendage in the future?

Most axles bend with significant weight and heavy landings, but I cannot hammer Titanium axles back straight the way I can with other normal trucks.

Yes the titanium still bend - I have a set from a guy who bent them, unable to warranty as they are worn down too far and it has been too long, but they still bend.

Go with the standard axle, normal versions and they will work better and have fewer issues in the long run.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mbam003

« Reply #2996 on: March 09, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Will a hollow/titanium axle help with bendage in the future?
[close]

Most axles bend with significant weight and heavy landings, but I cannot hammer Titanium axles back straight the way I can with other normal trucks.

Yes the titanium still bend - I have a set from a guy who bent them, unable to warranty as they are worn down too far and it has been too long, but they still bend.

Go with the standard axle, normal versions and they will work better and have fewer issues in the long run.

Amazingly useful information for the future. I'll keep rocking the standard.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2997 on: March 10, 2021, 06:20:06 AM »
Can people who talk about bending or breaking Aces post pics? Also, how much do you weigh?

I had one set of Aces come from the factory with a flaw in the hanger (Ace replaced it immediately), but otherwise the only QC Issue I've ever had was a blown pivot cup (I've had 6 sets total). I fluctuate between 200 and 210, and while I mostly skate lower impact stuff I am pretty big and stomp my tricks.

Not trying to be a dick, I've just never seen any of these issues IRL and figure my fat ass would have made one of these things happen at some point.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #2998 on: March 10, 2021, 06:25:23 AM »
Can people who talk about bending or breaking Aces post pics? Also, how much do you weigh?

I had one set of Aces come from the factory with a flaw in the hanger (Ace replaced it immediately), but otherwise the only QC Issue I've ever had was a blown pivot cup (I've had 6 sets total). I fluctuate between 200 and 210, and while I mostly skate lower impact stuff I am pretty big and stomp my tricks.

Not trying to be a dick, I've just never seen any of these issues IRL and figure my fat ass would have made one of these things happen at some point.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but I’m about 50lbs heavier than you and I’ve never bent or broken a set. I’ll still Ollie of some shit waist high, but mostly skate lower impact shit and do a lot of slappys. Out of the multiple sets I’ve had, I have had no issues. Maybe it’s luck of the draw?
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2999 on: March 10, 2021, 07:08:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was thinking the exact same thing, but I’m about 50lbs heavier than you and I’ve never bent or broken a set. I’ll still Ollie of some shit waist high, but mostly skate lower impact shit and do a lot of slappys. Out of the multiple sets I’ve had, I have had no issues. Maybe it’s luck of the draw?

Could be wrong but I feel like it's a situation where people who have issues are more vocal about them. Which is reasonable. I've had two sets of ace with no issues myself though.