Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 744097 times)

tuesday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • The mistery of shadows
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3330 on: April 02, 2021, 05:51:03 AM »
I always read the AF as 'as fuck'. I hope it was meant this way.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #3331 on: April 02, 2021, 05:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

is it just me or does this size chart make zero sense/is way off from the sizes theyre stating on the other pic
[close]

Take a look at the AF1 column name

Totally went over my head...
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3332 on: April 02, 2021, 06:01:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

is it just me or does this size chart make zero sense/is way off from the sizes theyre stating on the other pic
[close]

[close]

Its ok dude. It's even worse on IG where people are thinking the entire AF1 release is an April Fools joke...guess they dont sub to thrasher?
ok thanks

stebe

« Reply #3333 on: April 02, 2021, 06:22:14 AM »
haha shit, got me proper

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #3334 on: April 02, 2021, 06:23:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Its ok dude. It's even worse on IG where people are thinking the entire AF1 release is an April Fools joke...guess they dont sub to thrasher?

As someone already mentioned the whole rollout has been a joke. "Lets build the hype by just saying were releasing a new product and be as secretive as possible about the details. Up to and including the release dates"

"Our die hard base will get the bit"

Just so much as a company that could have been better here, feels a lot like the saw the exodus from a lot of Indy riders/fans and just went "Where else they gonna go"
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3335 on: April 02, 2021, 06:25:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

As someone already mentioned the whole rollout has been a joke. "Lets build the hype by just saying were releasing a new product and be as secretive as possible about the details. Up to and including the release dates"

Just so much as a company that could have been better here, feels a lot like the saw the exodus from a lot of Indy riders/fans and just went "Where else they gonna go"

Yeah, idk. The quirkiness of Ace and lackadaisical shit is part of the appeal. Well that and the turning.
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3336 on: April 02, 2021, 07:35:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Haven’t really been a fan of this rollout. Too much unknown, waiting for shops to post screenshots and sharing in IG story(?), overseas selling early accidentally, now April fools jokes. Just seems fumbled. Nothing wrong with making an official announcement and say “coming April 16th!”  That would build up to the release better.
[close]

Well not only that, but some US shops are saying "coming next week!" meanwhile Canadian shops seem to be all saying 4/16. Joey is in Jamaica eating coconut and making music whilst consuming copious amounts of The Devils Lettuce. Shrewgy is making april fools memes at red lights while on a bike ride. Pulsifer is plotting the return of Project in between personal trainer sessions as he prepares to deliver a 14 minute curb part for Thrasher. No one is in charge here. I love it.

Haha. It's kind of perfect. Look how sucked in we are.

Anyway, I'm currently getting rid of my old Aces and setting up a board or two to donate to a non-profit. Not b/c I care about under-privileged youth and their skateboardig needs, you understand, but because I need an excuse to try some AF1s.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3337 on: April 02, 2021, 07:41:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Haven’t really been a fan of this rollout. Too much unknown, waiting for shops to post screenshots and sharing in IG story(?), overseas selling early accidentally, now April fools jokes. Just seems fumbled. Nothing wrong with making an official announcement and say “coming April 16th!”  That would build up to the release better.
[close]

Well not only that, but some US shops are saying "coming next week!" meanwhile Canadian shops seem to be all saying 4/16. Joey is in Jamaica eating coconut and making music whilst consuming copious amounts of The Devils Lettuce. Shrewgy is making april fools memes at red lights while on a bike ride. Pulsifer is plotting the return of Project in between personal trainer sessions as he prepares to deliver a 14 minute curb part for Thrasher. No one is in charge here. I love it.
[close]

Haha. It's kind of perfect. Look how sucked in we are.

Anyway, I'm currently getting rid of my old Aces and setting up a board or two to donate to a non-profit. Not b/c I care about under-privileged youth and their skateboardig needs, you understand, but because I need an excuse to try some AF1s.

aka THE MADNESS
ok thanks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3338 on: April 02, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »

Finally starting to put out some official information with release date and specs (that shop people have had to keep under wraps for the last few weeks), but apart from the April Fools, everything else about the release is true and sizes are correct as stated, but I think that is all fairly clear now anyway.

From the latest post with questions re the trucks, reply was "Classics will remain and the AF1 will be like when man discovered 🔥."

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3339 on: April 02, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wait... So after all this time Ace still doesn't have an exact 8.5" truck?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3340 on: April 02, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »
April Fools.  AF1 55s will have  8.5 axles.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3341 on: April 02, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Agreed...well played ACE...hollow rumors, an entirely 'forged' design rumor, and they never squashed them, if anything they fed the fire...and in reality they just decided (or can afford) to use better materials. That's it. Just an ACE Stage IV - no idea why they feel the need to re-brand other than axle size conformity...and gimmick axle nuts (the re-threader is a cool add, I'll admit).

They'd have been better off just adding the 'off' and 'standard' sizes to the line with and forgo the classic/AF1 nonsense, and just let the old stock fade away...with the Axle engraving there would be no room for user error.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 12:25:37 PM by Xen »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3342 on: April 02, 2021, 12:17:23 PM »
Agreed @Xen  - should’ve been a size 47 between the 44 and 50 with 8.75”-ish axle width and then just added the 77 at the top end.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3343 on: April 02, 2021, 12:28:52 PM »
Agreed @Xen  - should’ve been a size 47 between the 44 and 50 with 8.75”-ish axle width and then just added the 77 at the top end.

But that would mess up the 33, 44, 55, 66, 77 conventions (I know, big fucking deal).

33, 35 (8.25) 44, 45 (8.5), 50, 55, etc.

No one blinked an eye at 144s or 148s being added to the lin-up, even if they did mess with the prior naming conventions.

Really tho, just market the damn axle size: ACE 8", ACE 8.25", ACE 8.38", ACE 8.5, etc. makes it even easier.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1304
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3344 on: April 02, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
Honestly a brand just selling a truck model using the goddam axle size would be a novelty at this point.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3345 on: April 02, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
Actual size chart:

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3346 on: April 02, 2021, 01:03:56 PM »
These brand new 55 classics sitting on my desk right now, staring at me longingly, begging to be strapped to my new Transportation Unit pelican. Im ignoring their pleas in favor of that new 66, hanger shortening be damned.
ok thanks

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #3347 on: April 02, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »
That april fools joke was so good. you knowthey must be checking this thread and wanted to add to the angst. i love it.

i am getting so pumped for the 55af1. a proper 8.5, lets go!!!

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3348 on: April 02, 2021, 02:08:29 PM »
These brand new 55 classics sitting on my desk right now, staring at me longingly, begging to be strapped to my new Transportation Unit pelican. Im ignoring their pleas in favor of that new 66, hanger shortening be damned.
Is the smaller hanger confirmed?  I haven't seen that anywhere besides unconfirmed speculation here

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3349 on: April 02, 2021, 02:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Is the smaller hanger confirmed?  I haven't seen that anywhere besides unconfirmed speculation here

I come from a place of thinking where that pole/euro shit was 100% accurate.
ok thanks

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #3350 on: April 02, 2021, 03:02:37 PM »
To the pals that ride classic 44s if y’all plan on trying the AF1s what size are you thinking? I usually skate 8.38-8.5 and I’ve not had to think of what size to do since I got aces. I’m leaning to the 55af1s

55AF1's for sure - fits perfectly for 8.38 decks

clint

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3351 on: April 02, 2021, 09:06:18 PM »
Honestly a brand just selling a truck model using the goddam axle size would be a novelty at this point.

Imagine how powerful society would be if skateboard trucks were listed by the width of their axles

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 09:19:24 PM by clint »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3352 on: April 03, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »
Learn from Krux
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

caviarcreew

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3353 on: April 03, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
The release of the AF1 explains a lot about these mystery Ace 55's that I got back in November. I assumed they were knockoffs with a different baseplate and incorrectly stamped 44's. Any questions, ask away.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kqUK50k

Diocletian

« Reply #3354 on: April 03, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »
Where did you buy them? Did you skate Ace’s before those, and notice any difference in the turn/grind? How soft did the stock bushings feel?

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3355 on: April 03, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
The release of the AF1 explains a lot about these mystery Ace 55's that I got back in November. I assumed they were knockoffs with a different baseplate and incorrectly stamped 44's. Any questions, ask away.

so they didn't fix the pivot cup issue?!
AAAAHHHHHHH

I think there might be a height diffrence in the af1's vs the classics. Hopped on aces website and was looking at the 44s and the height now reads "Truck height: 2.1" (53mm) Classic"  instead of the normal 52mm height. Also note the edition of the word Classic, guess there will really be two lines of trucks out at once.
and they're now 1mm taller?
double AAAAHHHHHHH

caviarcreew

« Reply #3356 on: April 03, 2021, 10:03:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
so they didn't fix the pivot cup issue?!
AAAAHHHHHHH

I guess not. I broke the original pivot after a few slappy sessions. Replaced it with a RipTide pivot cup that crumbled into pieces with my first crooked grind. I gave up on them.

caviarcreew

« Reply #3357 on: April 03, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »
Where did you buy them? Did you skate Ace’s before those, and notice any difference in the turn/grind? How soft did the stock bushings feel?

Got them from a seller on Mercari. First and last time skating Aces. They turned great (on par with Indys) once the bushings broke in, but the bushings fell apart after a month or so of slappies.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3358 on: April 03, 2021, 12:08:39 PM »

Might be a long shot, but do you recall if they felt heavier than a set of Indy's?

caviarcreew

« Reply #3359 on: April 03, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Might be a long shot, but do you recall if they felt heavier than a set of Indy's?

Didn't feel any different. Just weighed them for you and they are essentially the same weight, 13.7 (Indy) vs 13.5 (Ace) ounces.