Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743932 times)

Bigwheelbite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -162
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3360 on: April 03, 2021, 03:01:09 PM »
Do classic 44's work better on 8.25 or 8.38 decks? Has anyone tested properly?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #3361 on: April 03, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »
Do classic 44's work better on 8.25 or 8.38 decks? Has anyone tested properly?

44 Classics with 8.38" is the perfect setup
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3362 on: April 03, 2021, 03:18:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The release of the AF1 explains a lot about these mystery Ace 55's that I got back in November. I assumed they were knockoffs with a different baseplate and incorrectly stamped 44's. Any questions, ask away.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kqUK50k
[close]

Might be a long shot, but do you recall if they felt heavier than a set of Indy's?
[close]

Didn't feel any different. Just weighed them for you and they are essentially the same weight, 13.7 (Indy) vs 13.5 (Ace) ounces.

Much appreciated. Looks about the same weight as original Ace's. Good to know.

chrisskates808

« Reply #3363 on: April 03, 2021, 05:58:56 PM »
the size shouldn't be a problem for me because i always skate 44 on 8.25 decks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3364 on: April 03, 2021, 08:04:47 PM »
Held some Af1 44s today and they definitely felt heavier than Classic 44s. A lot of meat on the hanger. These things should last a lot longer.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3365 on: April 03, 2021, 09:27:41 PM »
Held some Af1 44s today and they definitely felt heavier than Classic 44s. A lot of meat on the hanger. These things should last a lot longer.
Also held some. They feel really dense. Shop guy said they’re vibrating them? Getting the air out of the pour? Whatever.

Rollbrettfetischist

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3366 on: April 03, 2021, 10:50:26 PM »
I think there might be a height diffrence in the af1's vs the classics. Hopped on aces website and was looking at the 44s and the height now reads "Truck height: 2.1" (53mm) Classic"  instead of the normal 52mm height. Also note the edition of the word Classic, guess there will really be two lines of trucks out at once.

In my opinion they have always been at 53mm. Bought a set last year in Germany and they sit clearly at 53mm. Ben Degros confirmed that in his reviews. I dont know, but most of the brands and skateshops dont know the specs of their stuff. (I dont critizise that too much, because for the rest of the world it doesnt matter much and because i am bad in english. Sorry for that)

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3367 on: April 03, 2021, 11:43:19 PM »
Expand Quote
I think there might be a height diffrence in the af1's vs the classics. Hopped on aces website and was looking at the 44s and the height now reads "Truck height: 2.1" (53mm) Classic"  instead of the normal 52mm height. Also note the edition of the word Classic, guess there will really be two lines of trucks out at once.
[close]

In my opinion they have always been at 53mm. Bought a set last year in Germany and they sit clearly at 53mm. Ben Degros confirmed that in his reviews. I dont know, but most of the brands and skateshops dont know the specs of their stuff. (I dont critizise that too much, because for the rest of the world it doesnt matter much and because i am bad in english. Sorry for that)

Quote from: Ace Skateboard Trucks Mfg Internet Web-site on Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 8:52 PM, 45 seconds
• Truck height: 2.125" (52mm) Classic
source: https://web.archive.org/web/20201111205245/https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/trucks/products/ace-trucks-44-polished

52 mm is actually 2.04724 in
off by 0.07776 in!
this is simply unacceptable :P

IpathCats

« Reply #3368 on: April 04, 2021, 05:21:40 AM »
Honestly a brand just selling a truck model using the goddam axle size would be a novelty at this point.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3369 on: April 04, 2021, 05:34:33 AM »
Regarding height. We lined the Classics and Af1s both up as best we could and they look to be about the same height. The Af1s initially looked higher b/c there is so much more meat on the hanger but the axles seemed level.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3370 on: April 04, 2021, 07:49:42 AM »
Anyone seen any pre-order availability?
ok thanks

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3371 on: April 04, 2021, 10:59:03 AM »

I asked Orchard and my local if I could preorder some 55's.  No dice! 

Not meant to be disrespectful at all!  I fucking love Orchard.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3372 on: April 04, 2021, 11:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I asked Orchard and my local if I could preorder some 55's.  No dice! 

Not meant to be disrespectful at all!  I fucking love Orchard.

word nah no disrespect. Not really surprising. Ace seems to be doing one thing, which is having a hard and fast set of rules and dates around the release of these.
ok thanks

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3373 on: April 04, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »

Interesting, the original 44's clocked in around 380g, close to a set of Indy 149 standards. The new 55 with the extra axle length and hanger meat might put the weight in Stage VII territory. I'll wait until we get a true nerd out with the scale once these are in a pal's hands.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3374 on: April 04, 2021, 10:57:24 PM »
 ACE responding to the markets dire need for yet a heavier truck is right up there with indys response to all those skaters clamouring for more.....mid. 

skateandphotos

• Rep: 11
  • I just wanna ollie everyting
« Reply #3375 on: April 05, 2021, 06:50:38 AM »
Just googled Ace AF 1 and there's a link to ace's website for 33's but when you click on it it says there's no products. Maybe pre orders could be coming soon?

https://shop.acetrucks.com/collections/af1-33s

IpathCats

« Reply #3376 on: April 05, 2021, 07:30:57 AM »
ACE responding to the markets dire need for yet a heavier truck is right up there with indys response to all those skaters clamouring for more.....mid.

Yea, I'm excited for the ace guys to get what looks to be their est update yet. But if I'm being honest, it seems a bit underwhelming. Forged, hollow, titanium construction is sort of the standard these days, seems odd they wouldn't at least try to meet the standard if they weren't going to raise it in some way.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3377 on: April 05, 2021, 08:00:49 AM »

A heavier mid with worse kingpin clearance and a sticky invert pin you mean...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3378 on: April 05, 2021, 08:13:51 AM »

I think they were responding to the  call for a stronger more durable truck and some different sizes. Not going down the hollow, titanium route is a good thing in my opinion. Could be wrong, but I sense a lot of Ace devotees don't care about weight as much. I certainly don't but maybe I'll eat these words when I finally mount some new 66s.

IpathCats

« Reply #3379 on: April 05, 2021, 08:17:36 AM »

I think they were responding to the  call for a stronger more durable truck and some different sizes. Not going down the hollow, titanium route is a good thing in my opinion. Could be wrong, but I sense a lot of Ace devotees don't care about weight as much. I certainly don't but maybe I'll eat these words when I finally mount some new 66s.

That's true about the weight I suppose, especially with the light pop feel they give you I can see that.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3380 on: April 05, 2021, 09:16:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The problem is that instead of using engineering to create a stronger truck, they just keep adding material.  They could hollow out the underside of the hangar, use some material to support the hangar to pivot transition and have a lighter, stronger truck. 

Clearly using a 30 year old hanger design to meet the needs of modern skating isn’t working.  Add all the aluminum you want, it’s not going to work.

It’s like they want to build a more structurally stable house and instead of focusing on sturdy framing, they just keep piling wood on the roof

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #3381 on: April 05, 2021, 09:19:12 AM »
I presume they will discontinue the classic series somewhere down the line?

I'm only asking cos I love my 44s on my 8.38 and would like to cop as many as I can before they go....

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3382 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The problem is that instead of using engineering to create a stronger truck, they just keep adding material.  They could hollow out the underside of the hangar, use some material to support the hangar to pivot transition and have a lighter, stronger truck.

Clearly using a 30 year old hanger design to meet the needs of modern skating isn’t working.  Add all the aluminum you want, it’s not going to work.

It’s like they want to build a more structurally stable house and instead of focusing on sturdy framing, they just keep piling wood on the roof

AKA, when Indy did the stage 5. Which addressed all those problems with the Bennett/stage 4 hanger design. But yeah, everything you said.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3383 on: April 05, 2021, 12:49:47 PM »
I am by no means an expert but from what I understand it is more than just adding material to the hanger. It is a different manufacturing process with different grades of metals. Anyway, options, you want light you got a lot of options. You want a good turn and don't care about weight, you got Ace.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3384 on: April 05, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »
I am by no means an expert but from what I understand it is more than just adding material to the hanger. It is a different manufacturing process with different grades of metals. Anyway, options, you want light you got a lot of options. You want a good turn and don't care about weight, you got Ace.

And the better spec'd manufacturing process is welcome thing for sure. But the flaw, if you wanna call it that, is the design itself - round rod vs u-channel/beam construction. The Ace hanger is essentially a 45 year old design. They could add 1/2" more meat onto that hanger design, it's not going make it stronger. The big construction issue with durability wasn't that they ground down fast (people liked the soft grind), it's that the hangers straight up bent.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #3385 on: April 05, 2021, 01:17:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And the better spec'd manufacturing process is welcome thing for sure. But the flaw, if you wanna call it that, is the design itself - round rod vs u-channel/beam construction. The Ace hanger is essentially a 45 year old design. They could add 1/2" more meat onto that hanger design, it's not going make it stronger. The big construction issue with durability wasn't that they ground down fast (people liked the soft grind), it's that the hangers straight up bent.

Well the bend is for a reason. It’s more meat where you wear out first. It also helps with locking into grinds. Think of a reverse Gullwing trucks that come with that pre-groove so you kick in better.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3386 on: April 05, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I personally did not like the soft grind and know plenty of others who were put off by that but I still preferred them to other trucks mainly due to the turn.

Either way, Joey T and Shrewgy played roles in the design of various stages of Indy, Thunder and Venture. I'll let the AF1s speak for themselves at this point.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3387 on: April 05, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
Well the bend is for a reason. It’s more meat where you wear out first. It also helps with locking into grinds. Think of a reverse Gullwing trucks that come with that pre-groove so you kick in better.
It's okay if the hanger has a taper towards the edge, but he's talking about the axles bending - two different things.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3388 on: April 05, 2021, 01:36:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I personally did not like the soft grind and know plenty of others who were put off by that but I still preferred them to other trucks mainly due to the turn.

Either way, Joey T and Shrewgy played roles in the design of various stages of Indy, Thunder and Venture. I'll let the AF1s speak for themselves at this point.

Fair play. I definitely don't want to sound like I'm crapping on Ace. I dig the company, the product, that it's a skater-owned option to NHS stuff. All of it. I'm (obviously) just a bit of a nerd when it comes to the design stuff, and that can come off a bit critical, so my bad.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3389 on: April 05, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
No need to apologize. I get it. We all have our dream truck. I'm still bummed there is no 8.75" axle....