Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 377126 times)

Mr. Stinky, camel filters, Murge, slappy50, Sk8bored (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 60
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3420 on: April 07, 2021, 06:20:32 AM »
yeah, i'm sold on the tool alone. my t-tools threads are slowly rounding out after 15 years or so. thought about getting a new, full metal one. this one is easy to pack away and adding the rethreaders is great imo, even if i probably won't use them a lot. but it's something you never have with you when you need it, and this is the best idea or format for one yet without making the tool too unwieldy to put into your pocket.

I have one of these all-in-one slim tools like that one and it sucks. The pieces fall out and dont stay together and when it's assembled, it feels flimsy. The driver pops out a lot. I am hopeful this one is made by someone else and is better quality.

jamersonbass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #3421 on: April 07, 2021, 07:02:05 AM »
Expand Quote
yeah, i'm sold on the tool alone. my t-tools threads are slowly rounding out after 15 years or so. thought about getting a new, full metal one. this one is easy to pack away and adding the rethreaders is great imo, even if i probably won't use them a lot. but it's something you never have with you when you need it, and this is the best idea or format for one yet without making the tool too unwieldy to put into your pocket.
[close]

I have one of these all-in-one slim tools like that one and it sucks. The pieces fall out and dont stay together and when it's assembled, it feels flimsy. The driver pops out a lot. I am hopeful this one is made by someone else and is better quality.

The silver tool is the goat.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #3422 on: April 07, 2021, 07:30:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The silver tool is the goat.

The file fell off my Silver day one and a month in the ratchet started acting weird (not engaging or being locked/no ratchet when set to a ratchet mode); it's still hanging on tho.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #3423 on: April 07, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
I have some 55ís that are still completely fine, but if these A1 are $60/65+ Iíll prob wait and see how the reviews/feedback go. Donít think I need to jump.

ballintoohard

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #3424 on: April 07, 2021, 07:54:33 AM »
Tool is cool but they coulda done more to make a better truck than change to a barely different alloy and just add metal. Unfortunately thatís not how things work and wonít make the trucks stronger. But I donít think their devotees care

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3425 on: April 07, 2021, 08:07:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably doesn't help much and off topic, but I have glued my slim tool together and find it works so much better than the other plastic handled tools I have, especially over deck bolts but before I glued it, yes it was a pain to use.  It is not something I would have in a pocket anyway, so never fell the need to break it down and have it tucked away.

Those rethreaders definitely seem pretty good, even if I just have the carabiner with the rethreaders, more so than another skate tool with the built in rethreader parts.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• Rep: 108
« Reply #3426 on: April 07, 2021, 09:52:18 AM »
Just had a thought, does anyone think these AF1 with the harder materials will take away that "dead" sound?

Also, Youtube vids with AF1 marketing rolling out

Skatetool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr9yXBfioWM

Rethreader dies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbPxrpeWqkA

I'm hyped for the kingpin die. No other tool has one and the only one I know of is the super old Consolidated one.

pops

• Rep: 2
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3427 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:23 AM »
I have some 55ís that are still completely fine, but if these A1 are $60/65+ Iíll prob wait and see how the reviews/feedback go. Donít think I need to jump.
Same here. I find 55's to be just fine with
8.6-9" boards I usually use and no need to change until they give up.

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #3428 on: April 07, 2021, 01:43:41 PM »
Indy taking shots at Ace/the AF1 tool?

I don't generally mess with my bushings with Ace, but the ida of the kingpin rethreader is cool to me.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

bigdave

« Reply #3429 on: April 07, 2021, 01:47:36 PM »

I don't generally mess with my bushings with Ace, but the ida of the kingpin rethreader is cool to me.

LOL, so fucking dumb "Our trucks dont function as well, but you dont need a re-threader" is a pretty dumb take. Sit the fuck down, Indy. Sit this one out. Take the next couple of plays off.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • Go Faster!
« Reply #3430 on: April 07, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »

Shots fired for sure.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
  • Spreading the shredding, sharing the Shalom.
« Reply #3431 on: April 07, 2021, 04:04:32 PM »
Safe, then, to presume that Indy plans on run the inverted kingpin on all of their trucks?
Elsewise, why make such a fallacious argument?
Absent the inverted kingpin across all ďplatforms,Ē theyíre just comparing apples to watermelons.
I enjoy Indys.
I enjoy Aces.
I even love Thunders.
But I especially love silly marketing tactics.
Indy, ya played yerself.

yourbreakfsat

• Rep: 108
« Reply #3432 on: April 07, 2021, 05:17:27 PM »

@ indy

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • Aussie skate shop guy
« Reply #3433 on: April 07, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »
I have seen more stripped out and messed up inverted kingpin heads over the years that I could not fix, than any regular kingpin assembly, which is why I would never use or recommend inverted kingpins, no matter how much they push them, or what brand is doing them.

Just seems like someone is being a bit of a dumbass via Instagram.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diocletian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
« Reply #3434 on: April 07, 2021, 08:26:07 PM »
Indy is getting a taste of its own medicine a little bit. When they arrived on the scene they blew up. Wasn't like that for Ace but now they've gotten to the point of really gaining traction and coming in hot. People are switching to Ace left and right. 

Paperclip20

• Rep: 29
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3435 on: April 08, 2021, 05:00:09 AM »
Indy is getting a taste of its own medicine a little bit. When they arrived on the scene they blew up. Wasn't like that for Ace but now they've gotten to the point of really gaining traction and coming in hot. People are switching to Ace left and right.

The ace team is incredibly good and they have a good product. I'm glad they're competing with the big dogs now.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3436 on: April 08, 2021, 06:21:22 AM »

Hearing about all the hang ups with Indy mid kingpins on smith grinds, I would take needing to rethread one time every year or so over using indy mids.

I wish I didn't have to look at your sig in every thread tbh. That shit is annoying and usually so are your posts.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #3437 on: April 09, 2021, 07:36:32 AM »

bigdave

« Reply #3438 on: April 09, 2021, 09:01:34 AM »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #3439 on: April 09, 2021, 09:05:21 AM »
And they still havenít committed to telling anyone what changed or why we should want these

bigdave

« Reply #3440 on: April 09, 2021, 09:16:45 AM »
And they still havenít committed to telling anyone what changed or why we should want these

Look theyre new and shiny ok hashtag jah blessed

fernando the skater

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3441 on: April 09, 2021, 09:17:55 AM »

bigdave

« Reply #3442 on: April 09, 2021, 09:19:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gimme some 66s and 77s now!

I asked on the IG and it looks like new softgoods too, hardware and wax.

ballintoohard

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #3443 on: April 09, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
Sounds like absolute bullshit, there is not a viable alloy for a mass produced skate product that makes sense from a cost standpoint or is any stronger. Cast is cast for the most part unless they changed their entire foundry, but I don't know what method would alter the bonding process

bigdave

« Reply #3444 on: April 09, 2021, 11:15:35 AM »
Sounds like absolute bullshit, there is not a viable alloy for a mass produced skate product that makes sense from a cost standpoint or is any stronger. Cast is cast for the most part unless they changed their entire foundry, but I don't know what method would alter the bonding process

ok thanks

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #3445 on: April 09, 2021, 11:15:48 AM »
if they went from sand casting to a traditional mold it could improve texture and consistency though.

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #3446 on: April 09, 2021, 11:31:55 AM »

Why does it sound like bullshit that they switched to a better alloy and heat treatment process? They've always used 7071, other brands use 6061, other uses 356.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

TastyBurrito

• Rep: 80
« Reply #3447 on: April 09, 2021, 11:39:07 AM »

Gimme some 66s and 77s now!

This. This. This. This.

Frank and Fred

• Rep: 104
« Reply #3448 on: April 09, 2021, 11:44:52 AM »
Bigger questions for me are:

-Will Joey T get that Jamaican mini ramp finished before the AF1s drop?
-And will the volcanic eruption on St Vincents strand him in Jamaica without a set of Af1 55s?

#Jahworried.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #3449 on: April 09, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
Probably gonna cop the af1 55s at some point  but the more I see of them the more I donít believe anything changed aside from sizes. So nothing substantial changed. Whatís the weight and  Wheel base offset? All this is is adding a few sizes and giving a die to rethread. Itís like if someone shows you a magic trick and the more they show it to you the more you realize they are just palming the coin with their other hand.

Donít get me wrong. I love the aces Iím on. But it is what it is.